Start by marking “The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)

The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett #5)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  9 reviews
It is 1301 and a fragile peace exists between Edward of England and Philip IV of France. In the fetid alleys and slums of London and Paris it is a different matter. Here the secret agents of both countries still fight their own, silent, deadly battles. The Prince of Wales wallows in luxury under the sinister influence of his favourite, Gaveston, who has secret political am ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published November 12th 1992 by Headline (first published February 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Prince of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince of Darkness

henrys-axe
Another good addition to the Hugh Corbett series. After finishing the novel I had a hard time trying to figure out the rants of Edward I towards the lack of progress in the investigations being conducted by Corbett. (considering the information provided at the end of the story)
Suzanne
I've been looking for a new series of period mysteries to read during the summer, and hoped that this would be it. I've read positive reviews of Doherty's works and am impressed with his credentials for writing this type of work. Unfortunately, his writing fails to "grab" me. The historical setting is undoubtedly authentic, but I always feel at a distance from it. I have a hard time keeping the politics straight, and I simply do not want to work that hard with this kind of book. I want something ...more
John Lee

I have really enjoyed previous books in this series and therefore cannot understand why I have left this one on my (real) bookshelf for so long, unread.

It took but a few pages to be fully involved again with Sir Hugh, Ranulf and King Edward I . There is action from these early pages which I may have found lacking in other historical novels that I have enjoyed.

I remembered another reason that I enjoyed these books. It was the reminders of the 'story so far' as Sir Hugh tries to marshall his thoug
Kalendra Dee
As a former mistress of Edward II, Lady Eleanor Belmont is residing in a convent when she falls to her death down a flight of stairs. Hugh Corbett, royal clerk and spy, is dispatched to find out the truth and runs into treachery and more murders. The fragile peace between England and France rests on the betrothal of Edward to the infant Isabella, the daughter of the King of France. Edward, however, has found true love with a courtier named Piers Gaveston, a young man who may have his own agenda.
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
This is another in the series of medieval mysteries featuring Hugh Corbett. Set in 1301 Hugh Corbett is sent by King Edward to investigate the murder of Lady Belmont. With assassins and spies on his trail, Corbett is able to unravel the mystery and avoid triggering a civil war between King Edward and his son the Prince of Wales.

All the usual suspects are here, and this was another enjoyable 'whodunnit'. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys reading historical fiction.
Wafa
En 1301, une paix fragile s'installe entre l'Angleterre et la France; dans la coulisse les espions des deux royaumes continuent toutefois de se surveiller en silence. Le prince de Galles s'abandonne à la voluptueuse et dangereuse influence de son favori, le Gascon Piers Gaveston qui nourrit de secrètes ambitions politiques. La mort mystérieuse de Lady Eleanor Belmont, officiellement promise au prince, vient compliquer davantage encore le jeu diplomatique.
Bill Bradford
This is the first Doherty mystery I have read, and I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of the characterization. Doherty draws his characters well, and fleshes out even the minor characters, and has a deft way of putting the characters together in ensemble. The story was well plotted. Not quite as much historical detail as some others, but a very satisfying read.
Hristina Ivanova
I really,really liked that novel, as I have all of Doherty's books. This one was quite interesting and I didn't have a clue what was going on until the very end. I'm so glad the Hugh Corbet series continues to grow, these novels are so addictive!
Winnie
Hugh Corbett succeeds against all odds again in another well-written mystery from the pen of Paul Doherty. A great read.
Vicky Tagg
Vicky Tagg marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Kate Harris
Kate Harris marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Wendi B
Wendi B marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Dirk
Dirk marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Sheila
Sheila added it
Jun 29, 2015
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
  • The Angel of Death (Hugh Corbett, #4)

Hugh Corbett (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Satan in St Mary's (Hugh Corbett, #1)
  • The Crown in Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #2)
  • Spy in Chancery (Hugh Corbett, #3)
  • The Angel of Death (Hugh Corbett, #4)
  • Murder Wears a Cowl (Hugh Corbett, #6)
  • The Assassin in the Greenwood (Hugh Corbett, #7)
  • The Song of a Dark Angel (Hugh Corbett, #8)
  • Satan's Fire (Hugh Corbett, #9)
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • The Demon Archer (Hugh Corbett, #11)
Nightshade: A Hugh Corbett Medieval Mystery The House of Shadows The Assassins of Isis: A Story of Ambition, Politics and Murder Set in Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt Mysteries) The Poisoner of Ptah: A Story of Intrigue and Murder Set in Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt Mysteries) The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)