The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)

The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett #10)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The tenth masterly novel in Paul Doherty's wonderful Hugh Corbett series
Published March 1st 1998 by St Martins Pr (first published July 4th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Hunt

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingMaisie Dobbs by Jacqueline WinspearMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Favorite Historical Mystery Series
178th out of 592 books — 632 voters
Eye of the Needle by Ken FollettTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick ForsythThe Woman in White by Wilkie CollinsJackdaws by Ken Follett
Best Historical Thrillers
108th out of 160 books — 49 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary
Jul 28, 2012 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
In the summer of 1303, murder has made itself known in the King's university city of Oxford. The illustrious Regent of Sparrow Hall, John Copsale, is found dead in his bed. Some claim he died in his sleep, while still others whisper that Regent Copsale was murdered by the mysterious "Bell Man" - who posts treasonous notes on the doors of the churches.

Then the college librarian and archivist, Robert Ascham is discovered inside the college library with a crossbow bolt in his chest. Definitely an...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in July 1998.

This is the seventh Hugh Corbett mystery, part of the series set in England during the reign of Edward I. This particular novel is set in Oxford, where Corbett is sent by the king to investigate the serial murder of the masters of Sparrow Hall, a small foundation forming part of the University and the mysterious proclamations of "The Bellman", who calls down curses on the king in the name of his old enemy Simon de Montfort.

When Hugh arrives in a...more
James Saunders
The Devil's Hunt

I enjoyed this book as I do his books. I always learn something. I wonder if he is as good a teacher as he is a writer. I hope so.
Helen
The author was recommended to me, particularly his early books in this series. This isn't an early one but it was pretty good, except that family names were only just beginning to be used so I imagine Doherty used them to move the plot along. The ending was a shock and I must see if there is a #11. The characters were definitely believable and I even began to like Ranulf-atte-Newgate. Reading about Oxford so much earlier than Morse was interesting, too, although Sparrow Hall must have disappeare...more
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
I enjoyed this medieval mystery starring my favourite Clerk, Sir Hugh Corbett. This one is set in 1303 and Corbett is sent to Oxford to investigate a number of vicious murders. Oxford was a completely new setting for the series, and I enjoyed learning about the college halls and scholars and how they operated so many hundreds of years ago.

One of the key characters was surprisingly killed in this novel and I certainly wasn't expecting that. All in all, another enjoyable historical fiction by Dohe...more
Mary
I have read a couple of the Hugh Corbett stories and find them quite enjoyable and an easy read. Perfect for journeys but sadly I did not warm to his character as much as I had with Cadfael ... this is likely a fault of waiting until my late forties to read it compared to being ten.
Ron
Jul 20, 2007 Ron rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History/Mystery buffs
This is an excellent read. Doherty knows his history of England in the era of Edward I. The mystery is hard to figure out, the characters real and the time period realistically pictured. The ending is very dramatic. All in all, a great read - highly recommended.
John Lee
This series gets better and better and another 5* s from me. I found the second half of the book particularly riveting with a real surprise in the last couple of paragraphs.
Quite brilliant.
Chuck Malmros

Hugh Corbett continues to amaze, very enjoyable book with all the wonders of being in 1303.
Lady_nj
I dn't think it will matter that I am reading these out of order.
Winnie
A very enjoyable read featuring the inimitable Hugh Corbett.
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Ben Norton
Ben Norton marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Vicki Carlson
Vicki Carlson marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

He has been published under several pseudonyms: P.C. Doherty, C.L. Grace, Paul Harding, Ann Dukthas, Vanessa Alexander, Michael Clynes and Anna Apostolou but now writes only under his own name.

Paul Doherty was born in Middlesbrough (North-Eastern England) in 1946. He had the...more
More about Paul Doherty...
Satan in St Mary's (Hugh Corbett, #1) The Mask of Ra (Amerotke, #1) The Nightingale Gallery (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #1) The Anubis Slayings (Amerotke, #3) The Horus Killings (Amerotke, #2)