The Real Deal

The Real Deal

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  980 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The most important thing in Amanda's life is negotiating a successful merger between her company and Brant Computers.. a family-held competitor. It should be a done deal: Company president Eric Brant is on board with the idea. But when Amanda arrives in Eric's office, it is his cousin Simon Brant who greets her - and Simon is anything but agreeable. He's not about to give...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Kensington (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Real Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Deal

Tammy
I spent the weekend trying to wrap my mind around this one. Then I over-analyzed it until I had one whopper of a throbbing headache. (You'll see below why I had such a hard time with this one.)

Like East, I am still wavering between 3 and 3.5 stars.

Excuse me as I dive right in ...

I like Simon. I can relate to Simon. In fact, my hubby IS a Simon. Whenever Simon got a brilliant idea and then absentmindedly left a conversation or meeting to work on said idea, I would giggle. Do you have any idea h...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Amanda Zachary came to Simon Brant's house to talk the reclusive, scientific genius into agreeing to a merger with her employing company, and ends up falling in love. Divorced for two years, and not desirous of marrying again after her husband destroyed every inch of her belief in herself as a woman, she doesn't expect for Simon Brant to inspire such powerful sexual feelings in her. Although he's absent-minded, prone to going off in his lab when she's in the middle of giving her presentation, he...more
Eastofoz
Sep 25, 2008 Eastofoz rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Julie (JJ)
Shelves: contemporary
I’m wavering between a 3-3.5 star rating for this one because I didn’t really like it. There’s too much repetition (especially with the hero’s “gunmetal grey eyes"—total overkill with that description) and too many “extremes” –so beautiful, so perfect, so incredible—which gets repeated over and over again as if the author didn’t really know what else to say.

Simon was too weird to be likeable for me. Yes he was supposed to be “different” from other guys because he’s a genius but he’s totally lac...more
Julianna
Nov 03, 2008 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Contemporary Romance or Lucy Monroe; Readers Looking for an Unusual Hero
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

"4.5 stars" The Real Deal was a sweet, engaging love story that was imbued with a healthy dose of realism, but still managed to stay within the bounds of romantic fantasy that all readers of the genre seem to love. I really enjoyed how Lucy Monroe took two people with low self-esteem, due in part to failed relationships of the past, and helped them to grow and change by finding the perfect mate in each other. Although I don't believe I have previously read any roma...more
KimKirt
I'd say I'm wavering in between 3 and 3.5 stars. Good romance, hunky hero. Never knew a computer geek could be that hot. Great premise of man being buried in his work and forgetting about the world around him . . . so much so that he lives on an island. My taking away of stars is due to the fact that the way they get together is a little out there. I mean, moving into his house to convince him of a business merger? That kind of insulted my intelligence. The heroine is huge, and I mean HUGE on wo...more
Katie
This book really surprised me. I had no idea how much I would enjoy it. I have read one or two other Monroe books I think, but this one was really good. I loved the relationship build up and the characters. The quirky Simon was a great character and I actually liked Amanda too. This book has made me want to read more Monroe books.
Carinae L'etoile
An easy read from Lucy Monroe.

This felt like an extended Harlequin Presents/Milla & Boone uncut. Given that Ms. Monroe is a writer for that particular category, it comes as no surprise.

I liked that the happy, perky cover belied an angst ridden tale. Don't be fooled into thinking this would be light hearted chick lit that would gloss over the heroine's emotions. No, this is an in-depth prodding that gets you to understand the Hero and heroine.

It's a good, satisfying read.
Kathy Davie
As it precedes the action involving Jillian in Goddard Project, 2 who is best friends with Amanda in this particular story, I'd have to rate this as a Goddard Project, 1.5.

Sweet, cute romance. Very closely follows the story idea in Emma Holly's Strange Attractions but without the intense, kinky sex. This one involves Amanda's idea of a computer company merger with which Eric agrees but genius-loner Simon is vehemently against.

Cindy
It's a romantic comedy with lots of sexual tension and the occasional sheet melting scene. The hero is a 'you go to the lab and the next time you notice it's Tuesday' genius - the heroine is a businesswomen with an emotionally abusive past. She is sent to talk him into agreeing to a corporate merger he doesn't want. He wants another type of merger entirely. Great characters, good plot, funny, sexy and witty.
Laura James
The writing in this book was soooo cheesy... I read the first 50 cringe worthy pages, then started skimming, then just gave up altogether when I realized that I could care less about what happened between the characters.
Tin
Whenever i read a book, i always had a dictionary nearby, just in case i come across a word i am not familiar with. I even installed a dictionary app on both my phone and tablet, for the same purpose. Most of the time, i only had to check a certain word's definition once or twice, and sometimes, not even at all. The Real Deal was a different experience. Insouciance, sangfroid, laconic -- I was stumped at these words. It was the first time i read irascible, another word for irritable (which is mo...more
Kathy
Erika
"We may not fit in with the rest of the world, but we belong together."

ONE REALIZTION AFTER READING THE BOOK: I really need to start reading again those books I did not finish in the past just because they didn't entertain after a few pages.

I once gave up on 'The Real Deal' after reading like 10 pages because I thought I wouldn't like the rest of it since the first few pages failed to get me sucked in to the story. But, then I'm thankful that I decided to read it again because it was really quit...more
Lea
This book was an enjoyable read...maybe even a 3.5 - fairly quick, some funny bits and a nice love story with slightly unconventional characters. I originally picked it up because it was on a list for a plus size heroine but really she had some curves and maybe 10ish pounds to lose to be "normal" but she wasn't plus. She did have some of the body image hang ups that come with others telling you that you are overweight... not exactly what I had hoped for when I picked it up but still interesting...more
Charlene
Having enjoyed Lucy Monroe's steamy mercenary trilogy, I tried something different by the same author. Billed like a "Spencer Tracy-Katherine Hepburn/Doris Day-Rock Hudson movie but with plenty of steam" it sounded like an updated version of the old romantic comedies that are many people's guilty pleasures.

Lucy Monroe writes many "billionaire/playboy/sheik and pregnant mistress/secretary" Harlequins that I haven't enjoyed since my teenage romance period many, many years ago. This isn't one of th...more
Hilly
Feb 06, 2013 Hilly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: newcomers to Lucy Monroe
Shelves: would-reread
3 stars.

It was fine, with interesting supporting characters, some of whom will return in Deal With This (Mercenary/Goddard Project, #7) Deal With This (Mercenary/Goddard Project, #7) (Goddard Project, #2) by Lucy Monroe.

Good introduction for newcomers to Lucy Monroe.
JD
I really enjoyed this. The character of Simon who is so eccentric and odd because he's genius and he lives in a world of his own. However different he is, he's still a red blooded man that wants a woman of his own. The conflict is the woman is one that is trying to convince him to merge his company with the one she works for. All in all, it's a great book and you really root for the characters.
Lindsey
Oct 29, 2008 Lindsey rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I have never in my entire life NOT finished a book.... until this one. It was just awful. This was a while ago, and luckily I don't remember much of it, but for me to not finish a book, it means it is BAD. I read the first couple chapters, TRIED to give it a chance, and it just got worse. It just became too hard to force myself to continue reading. Definitely not a fan.
Kristi
Good book, but the Kindle edition (as of 1/19/11) is missing paragraphs if not more. Suddenly, the scene will shift to something new and it's obvious that the transitional text is not there. Very frustrating. I returned for a refund, and may re-buy if they get the problem fixed.
Tressa
The Real Deal was a product of when it was written. I don't think it has held up well. Also, I didn't care about the characters and I didn't think the story had a lot of depth. I stopped reading the book.
~Leslie~
Cute, easy to read contemporary romance. Not my favorite, but not bad. The male lead was interesting-genius, antisocial but yearning. There were some unrealistic parts to the story but they were easily overlooked.
Modesty_b
really enjoyed it.I was hooked right from the moment I read the back cover.... and it was one hell of a revenge she took on her ex (view spoiler)
Pamela(AllHoney)
Amanda Zachary is attempting to discuss a merger between her company and Brant Computers but she finds Simon Brant instead of Eric and Simon isn't fond of the idea. A fun, sexy read.
Lychee
Mostly enjoyable although I am losing some steam with this author. Had a surprising strong pro-life phrase or two that was at odds with the rest of the attitude of this book.
Calisto
Entertaining bit of fluff while on the elliptical but not very memorable. It's like a good vanilla ice cream on a warm day. Nice, but easily forgotten.
Ruth Ellen
O.k. I really liked this book. It was touching and the hero is handsome and touchingly real to me. I want one like him.
Trisha
Perfect beach read....or bed read ;-)))) cute and hot all at the same time - like reading a chick flick.
Irene A
what a great book! i absolutely loved the characters and the plot and i couldn't stop reading!
Nefret
Durchschnittlich. Ehrlich gesagt verstehe ich diesen Wirbel um das Buch nicht.
Celebrating A New Harlequin Showcase Release For Lucy Monroe 1 6 May 11, 2010 07:51AM
Cyber Launch Party Today For Lucy Monroe's MOON CRAVING 1 3 Feb 05, 2010 06:32AM
  • Star Quality
  • Houston, We Have A Problem
  • Love To Love You Baby
  • A Whole Lot of Love
  • Maybe Baby
  • Going Overboard (SEAL and Code Name, #2)
  • Wild Encounter
  • Hidden Honor
  • Cullen's Bride (March Madness) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #914)
  • Wanting What You Get (Stepp Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • Consumed
  • Hot
  • Baby, Oh Baby!
  • All of Me (Wedding Veil Wishes, #4)
  • Sexiest Man Alive (Make Me a Match, #2)
  • First Comes Love (Hot Water, California #1)
  • Her Man Friday
  • The Christmas Love-Child (Snow, Satin and Seduction)
Award winning author Lucy Monroe had her first book published in September 2003. Since then she has sold more than 50 books to four publishers and hit national bestsellers lists in the US and England. She writes sexy category romance for Harlequin Presents including her own ongoing mini-series, The Royal Brides. If you prefer a longer book, but want to keep it steamy, try her Mercenary trilogy or...more
More about Lucy Monroe...
Moon Awakening (Children of the Moon, #1) Ready Moon Craving (Children of the Moon, #2) The Billionaire's Pregnant Mistress (Petronides Brothers Duo #1 & Greek Tycoons #4) Willing

“Feel that? I don't walk around with a lead pipe in my jeans, so what do you think that tells you about how much I want you. (Simon Brant)” 3 likes
“I know what it feels like not to fit in, but trying to be like everyone around you doesn't work.” 2 likes