Start by marking “How To Have A Beautiful Mind” as Want to Read:
How To Have A Beautiful Mind

How To Have A Beautiful Mind

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  771 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Despite the modern day emphasis on physical appearance, there is an easier way to become a desirable person rather than dieting or buying expensive clothes. Regardless of outer appearance, if people have minds thatare fascinating, creative, and exciting—if they aregood thinkers—they can be beautiful. The clear, practical instructions in this guide demonstrate how applying...more
Published April 28th 2008 by Ebury Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How To Have A Beautiful Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Have A Beautiful Mind

Sebah
اممم، ربما أنسب وصف للكتاب هو: دليل عالمي لإتيكيت التعامل مع الآخرين عقليا. إذ أن الكاتب عمل على تسليط الضوء على عدة جوانب و مهارات تتطلب توظيف العقل و حرص على شرح الطريقة الأنسب للتصرف في تلك المواقف مع تقديم أمثلة و طرق عملية لتطبيق ما يدعو إليه. كما تتسم لغة الكتاب باليسر و السهولة مما قد يجعله مرجع مناسب لاستقاء المحتويات التعليمية في دروس اللغة.

مما تناوله الكتاب: كيف تتفق مع غيرك، كيف تعارض رأي غيرك، كيف تختلف عن غيرك، البدائل، القيم، الأسئلة، و غيرها كثير. و أظنه يكون مناسبا جدا في فهم الس...more
Eden
" A beautiful body and a beautiful face without a beautiful mind can be boring. A beautiful mind without a beautiful body or a beautiful face can still be attractive. "

This statements that made me take the book from the shelf of the library and buy it.
I allowed to myself to read it very slowly to take as benefits as I can, I realize that the writer is right about the bald man who has an attractive mind while the beautiful women was boring bcos she had a boring mind.

After I read half the book I...more
Holstein
A more appropriate title might have been "Conversation by Numbers". I found the tone of the book to be very assertive, as if becoming a great conversationalist is just a matter of following his formula. Or it could've been the fact that as an audiobook it sounds like a series of instructions.

Despite the direct delivery and a bit of self-promotion, I found De Bono's insights generally quite helpful. He makes some astute observations about different attitudes to conversation: as an argument, as e...more
Zulhilmi Ghouse
The title says it all. It's good, but I approached the book in the wrong way (I read it like a novel), and that's not how it's supposed to be read, since not all of the chapters were relevant to me. A tip: Get a highlighter and as you go, highlight the parts which you think you could improve your mind with. That way, you'll be more focused on what you need to do. You may find it a little bit boring sometimes (As I did, hence why it took 5 months to finish reading) because you're very likely to h...more
Jana

How to have a beautiful mind was a very interesting book to read. It included many interesting concepts about thinking. I learned a great deal from this book however I've found it is difficult to read right through as so much information required time to absorb. My suggestion is to read a section of it at a time, go away to practice it and I come back and read another section. This book would make an ideal reference to keep to refer to time after time. Enjoy!
Indiabookstore
If only the apparent beauty could take us to every possible height in life, words and mind would just be like silent companion. Yes, the beauty lies in a pure wisdom. But what happens when the mind is an empty bowl! Humans can please others in many ways. It is true that what is seen is always appealing and catches the eye of others. Hence, the ugliness is criticized. In such a case, how long the made- up doll beauty would last long, sense of humour will be judged later. . Edward de Bono is neith...more
Mateuz
If this guy could write one page without mentioning how successful and amazing he himself is, then maybe I could find some useful content. The parts of the book where he isn't talking about himself or his method are full of trite rubbish suitable for pseudointellectuals. It contains such observations as "On the whole, music is more uplifting than art" and "raw experiences are like raw meat, which is fine for those who like it". The entire book is written with like this!

Why would someone read th...more
Rajbir Singh
So far i'm loving this book. Without reviewing away the spoilers, i must say that this book enhances your interaction levels. In the first quarter chapters there is this scene the writer is narrating. It's about a Lady in a party which has all the glamour in her but still, she is not able to get the center of attraction which she is in desperately seeking for. And there is this snobby little 80's looking guy who is the audacious of the whole festa.
In other words Edward De Bono's How To Have A...more
Juliana Es
This book reforms our school of thinking, in order to improve our communication skill.

There are various aspects presented, and some of them have been introduced by De Bono before, such as 6 thinking hats and parallel thinking.

After each topic, summarized points are listed for quick reference.

A great book for everyone, especially those involved in public relations and public speaking.
Susan
I found most of this book to be a bit boring amd like duh! And also I found a lot of the time de bono to seem arrogant. I.e. "this super amazing thing was invented. Now im not saying it directly resulted from this, but I did have the idea first." I was like 'yes. Every good idea came from you. i suppose you came up with the wheel too'.

If you can get past this. The book itself has useful suggestions for a generation forgetting the art of conversation. I myself found the teachings around STARTING...more
Ahmad
Judging from the title, one thinks that this book is an aid to social conversation, unfortuntely it is not. However it helps with regards to discussing topics in general. It has a few good tips, but alot of it is a repetition of segments of De Bono's other books. One also gets the feeling that many of the examples are a generation too old.
Firas Addas
Unfortunately, I found this book really boring. There is nothing useful at all. For example, it says, if you want people to like you you must talk sometimes about thing they like!!! Really?!?! I mean thats so new I did not know that until I read it :b I could't finish the book and stopped at the middle of it. So I don't recommend it to anyone.
Lucy
It was so boring I couldn't get past the second chapter. Probably good for someone who has zero understanding of how to have an interesting conversation.
Amaljnvm
I read this book a couple of years ago. I don't remember much.

I can't revert and see it either, because its at home and I am

2500kms away.
Sham Issa
كتاب مفيد حتماً. يبحث في المسلمات لدينا أحياناً، ويكشف لنا ما يمكن تغييره، لحياة أفضل مع الآخرين.
Amiruddin Nagri
Jul 30, 2007 Amiruddin Nagri marked it as to-read
Shelves: creative, book
Want to read this book so desperately !!!
Farhan Khalid
To be always right is not important

Have an opinion not oppose others opinions

Compromise not conflict

Take interest and be interesting

No consensus is wastage of time

Listen

Ask questions

Give choices

Let others speak

Imagine

Have a backup plan

Values determine our decision and preferences

Humor is a key element

Be informative

Be ready to change an opinion

Interference is an uncivilized act

Personality and attitude run parallel

Have a learning, creative, constructive and fun attitude
Bct
There is a mixed approach used in this book: in a way, it is outlining ways of thinking yet in another way, it tells us how to make our conversation more interesting and ultimately, beautiful.

From the title, I initially thought this is a book about thinking, solely thinking. However, I was pretty puzzled when I start to read the book; it mentions mainly how to converse with others, how not to be boring in a conversation and many more tips that can make you a better conversationalist.

Despite that...more
David Roberts
The book I read to research this post was How To Have A Beautiful Mind by Edward de Bono which is a very good book which I bought from kindle. Edward did host a mini series on television called Edward de Bono's Thinking Course which was mostly teaching lateral thinking and creativity. In this book he looks at techniques to develop your mind and personality. To a varying degree that you are stuck with what you were born with when it comes to looks but your mind can be improved in an infinite way....more
Anoop Warrier
The title attracts you pick this book but the content is not the same which it projects.
This book is about creating a beautifuk mind while we are in conversation with others.
i e " How to make your conversations beautiful " with theory and practical examples.
You may get something from this for sure but not wothy for the time we spend on this one.
Mohammad Alshahrani
Beautifully written, clear and concise. Powerful, yet simple, ideas on how you should think, talk, communicate, and even feel. You might think most of the advice in the book is common sense, but as you go in life you will come across many people who need those principles. I think this book, or any similar book on the same subject, should be a part of school curriculum.
Shirin
This books gives pointers on how to be an interesting conversationalist. Ironically conversation is something that is rare these days...People are now apt to converse with the little gadget in the palm rather than the person in front of him/her. I think this is what Dr Edward has not addressed in his book. How to get people away from the gadgets and talk to the real person. Aside from this, the book is chockful of tips and guidance on how to carry a conversation. The good dr also provide a packa...more
Karen Sutanto
I don't think you're meant to read this like a novel so instead I just read the topics and areas that I was more interested in. I don't usually read non-fiction books but this one was alright.
Dave
Essentially, this is a book about conversation and draws out the various aspects that are involved.
Rather than taking up a position on a topic and defending it, De Bono's approach is more of looking at issues in turn from different perspectives and tells us how to disagree based on this.
A good book, but not his best.
Taiba Nasir
This book did give me the guidelines that I needed. However, I did not find this book to have VERY good examples, in order to plant an idea in my mind, or satisfy me.
Overall - It's a book you can issue and read. It's not a book you'd want to keep with you.
Nurshafira Noh
Simple books but I got a lot of insights on how to beautifully think from this book.
*need some other time to talk about this book, because I am now quite tired.
Alice
I thought it would be more like how to have a healthy mind, but it was more like how to have a good conversation. Don't really want to learn about that.
Yuki
It's an easy read, sort of juvenile as the cover foretells. Didn't really have much content in my opinion.
Maxwell
Quite unapplicable in Asian society.
  • The Mind Gym: Wake Your Mind Up (The Mind Gym)
  • Making Friends
  • Get Anyone to Do Anything: Never Feel Powerless Again--With Psychological Secrets to Control and Influence Every Situation
  • The Ultimate Book of Mind Maps
  • A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative
  • You Can If You Think You Can
  • The Confidence Gap
  • Manhood
  • Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung?: Inspiring Stories for Welcoming Life's Difficulties
Edward de Bono is a British physician, author, inventor, and consultant. He is best known as the originator of the term lateral thinking (structured creativity) and the leading proponent of the deliberate teaching of thinking in schools.
More about Edward De Bono...
Six Thinking Hats Lateral Thinking Think!: Before It's Too Late de Bono's Thinking Course I Am Right You Are Wrong: From This to the New Renaissance: From Rock Logic to Water Logic

“A discussion should be a genuine attempt to explore a subject rather than a battle between competing egos.” 54 likes
“A good listener is very nearly as attractive as a good talker. You cannot have a beautiful mind if you do not know how to listen.” 23 likes