Start by marking “How To Have A Beautiful Mind” as Want to Read:
How To Have A Beautiful Mind

How To Have A Beautiful Mind

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  1,244 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Despite the modern day emphasis on physical appearance, there is an easier way to become a desirable person rather than dieting or buying expensive clothes. Regardless of outer appearance, if people have minds that are fascinating, creative, and exciting—if they are good thinkers—they can be beautiful. The clear, practical instructions in this guide demonstrate how applyin ...more
Published April 28th 2008 by Ebury Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How To Have A Beautiful Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Have A Beautiful Mind

Zulhilmi Ghouse
Mar 08, 2012 Zulhilmi Ghouse rated it liked it
The title says it all. It's good, but I approached the book in the wrong way (I read it like a novel), and that's not how it's supposed to be read, since not all of the chapters were relevant to me. A tip: Get a highlighter and as you go, highlight the parts which you think you could improve your mind with. That way, you'll be more focused on what you need to do. You may find it a little bit boring sometimes (As I did, hence why it took 5 months to finish reading) because you're very likely to h ...more
Sebah Al-Ali
Jul 26, 2010 Sebah Al-Ali rated it liked it
اممم، ربما أنسب وصف للكتاب هو: دليل عالمي لإتيكيت التعامل مع الآخرين عقليا. إذ أن الكاتب عمل على تسليط الضوء على عدة جوانب و مهارات تتطلب توظيف العقل و حرص على شرح الطريقة الأنسب للتصرف في تلك المواقف مع تقديم أمثلة و طرق عملية لتطبيق ما يدعو إليه. كما تتسم لغة الكتاب باليسر و السهولة مما قد يجعله مرجع مناسب لاستقاء المحتويات التعليمية في دروس اللغة.

مما تناوله الكتاب: كيف تتفق مع غيرك، كيف تعارض رأي غيرك، كيف تختلف عن غيرك، البدائل، القيم، الأسئلة، و غيرها كثير. و أظنه يكون مناسبا جدا في فهم الس
Eden
Jul 12, 2011 Eden rated it really liked it
" A beautiful body and a beautiful face without a beautiful mind can be boring. A beautiful mind without a beautiful body or a beautiful face can still be attractive. "

This statements that made me take the book from the shelf of the library and buy it.
I allowed to myself to read it very slowly to take as benefits as I can, I realize that the writer is right about the bald man who has an attractive mind while the beautiful women was boring bcos she had a boring mind.

After I read half the book I
Mateuz
Aug 26, 2012 Mateuz rated it did not like it
If this guy could write one page without mentioning how successful and amazing he himself is, then maybe I could find some useful content. The parts of the book where he isn't talking about himself or his method are full of trite rubbish suitable for pseudointellectuals. It contains such observations as "On the whole, music is more uplifting than art" and "raw experiences are like raw meat, which is fine for those who like it". The entire book is written with like this!

Why would someone read th
Aliaq8
Oct 04, 2013 Aliaq8 rated it did not like it
Shelves: rated-1
Read up to pg 90 & skimmed (with the occasional skipping of complete paragraphs ;p) through the rest.

To sum this book up.. All are different, we don't need to fully agree with each other .. All we need is to try and understand and respect one another
Why it had to be stretched out into a 240 page book GOD KNOWS!!

WAS UTTERLY BORING.. And USELESS

The 1 star rating was for the pretty book cover.
Holstein
May 28, 2012 Holstein rated it liked it
A more appropriate title might have been "Conversation by Numbers". I found the tone of the book to be very assertive, as if becoming a great conversationalist is just a matter of following his formula. Or it could've been the fact that as an audiobook it sounds like a series of instructions.

Despite the direct delivery and a bit of self-promotion, I found De Bono's insights generally quite helpful. He makes some astute observations about different attitudes to conversation: as an argument, as e
Jana Elston
Jul 23, 2012 Jana Elston rated it it was amazing

How to have a beautiful mind was a very interesting book to read. It included many interesting concepts about thinking. I learned a great deal from this book however I've found it is difficult to read right through as so much information required time to absorb. My suggestion is to read a section of it at a time, go away to practice it and I come back and read another section. This book would make an ideal reference to keep to refer to time after time. Enjoy!
Indiabookstore
Jan 21, 2013 Indiabookstore rated it really liked it
If only the apparent beauty could take us to every possible height in life, words and mind would just be like silent companion. Yes, the beauty lies in a pure wisdom. But what happens when the mind is an empty bowl! Humans can please others in many ways. It is true that what is seen is always appealing and catches the eye of others. Hence, the ugliness is criticized. In such a case, how long the made- up doll beauty would last long, sense of humour will be judged later. . Edward de Bono is neith ...more
Firas Addas
Jul 14, 2011 Firas Addas rated it did not like it
Unfortunately, I found this book really boring. There is nothing useful at all. For example, it says, if you want people to like you you must talk sometimes about thing they like!!! Really?!?! I mean thats so new I did not know that until I read it :b I could't finish the book and stopped at the middle of it. So I don't recommend it to anyone.
Ahmad
Aug 02, 2011 Ahmad rated it liked it
Judging from the title, one thinks that this book is an aid to social conversation, unfortuntely it is not. However it helps with regards to discussing topics in general. It has a few good tips, but alot of it is a repetition of segments of De Bono's other books. One also gets the feeling that many of the examples are a generation too old.
Lucy
Jun 08, 2012 Lucy rated it did not like it
It was so boring I couldn't get past the second chapter. Probably good for someone who has zero understanding of how to have an interesting conversation.
Venky
Oct 04, 2015 Venky rated it liked it
Shelves: bibliocase
In this thought provoking book, Edward De Bono emphasizes the necessity behind acquiring a mindset that is intuitive, sharp and as the very title of his work suggests, 'beautiful'. Postulating a theory that sport ought not to be the singular prerogative of the body, but has to be a logical extension of the mind, the author proceeds to justify his claim by resorting to a great man practical suggestions and experiments.

A quintessential theme uniformly running throughout this interesting book, is t
Chloë de Winter
Jul 31, 2016 Chloë de Winter rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
This is not a terrible book... It might actually be enjoyable and useful if you're in high-school, have not completed that many university-level courses yet or trying to bring your English from B2 to C1 level (perhaps from C1 to C2?). If you don't fall under any of those categories, this book might turn out to be 230 pages of obvious statements to you.
I am extremely disappointed by how basic the presented concepts are. It is a nice overview of what is common-sense to most people with university-
Rajbir Saddal
Jul 03, 2012 Rajbir Saddal rated it it was amazing
So far i'm loving this book. Without reviewing away the spoilers, i must say that this book enhances your interaction levels. In the first quarter chapters there is this scene the writer is narrating. It's about a Lady in a party which has all the glamour in her but still, she is not able to get the center of attraction which she is in desperately seeking for. And there is this snobby little 80's looking guy who is the audacious of the whole festa.
In other words Edward De Bono's How To Have A
Juliana Es
Nov 12, 2007 Juliana Es rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
This book reforms our school of thinking, in order to improve our communication skill.

There are various aspects presented, and some of them have been introduced by De Bono before, such as 6 thinking hats and parallel thinking.

After each topic, summarized points are listed for quick reference.

A great book for everyone, especially those involved in public relations and public speaking.
theinspirationtree
I've always hated the manner in which most discussions take place (the I-know-better-than-you-and-will-not-leave-until-you-think-so-too manner) and this book provides an excellent alternative approach to have an interesting and stimulating conversation. Edward Bono provides some really great tips on how to beautify your mind.
Shahad Al Melhem
Apr 27, 2015 Shahad Al Melhem rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, audiobooks

It has been a while since I last read a book that actually taught me something valuable.

Yes the title is cheesy, but its worth reading! It teaches you the art of negotiation, how to hold effective meetings, and to remember that we all have different experiences, therefore different perspectives.

The examples used in the book are also interesting and funny!
Sham Issa
Sep 29, 2013 Sham Issa rated it really liked it
كتاب مفيد حتماً. يبحث في المسلمات لدينا أحياناً، ويكشف لنا ما يمكن تغييره، لحياة أفضل مع الآخرين.
Amaljnvm
I read this book a couple of years ago. I don't remember much.

I can't revert and see it either, because its at home and I am

2500kms away.
Amiruddin Nagri
Jul 30, 2007 Amiruddin Nagri marked it as to-read
Shelves: creative, book
Want to read this book so desperately !!!
Chaitanyareddy
Feb 13, 2017 Chaitanyareddy rated it liked it
It was a very useful book but I'm not sure if I would reread it.
The book gives multiple options to have a beautiful mind but, ironically, it established a formula to achieve this and the author was pretty assertive about the formula. Wonder, if that was really beautiful..
Every one would want to have a beautiful mind and the author correctly tried to teach the importance of it. There were series of instructions on achieving this feat. This formula teaching put me off the book.

(view spoiler)
Vanessa Mozayani
Feb 08, 2017 Vanessa Mozayani rated it liked it
This book has suggestions to stimulate thinking to ensure productive dialogue.
Prateek Keshari
Feb 01, 2016 Prateek Keshari rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
My first Edward de Bono book was Six Thinking Hats. I read it while I was in college and was fortunate enough to facilitate a group of individuals applying the principles laid out in the book. When I saw it in action, I realized there are indeed multiple ways to look (and have) an idea. When presented with any idea, we have the data driven point of view, there's creativity, emotions, critique and optimism - all these the pillars of what's called the Six Thinking Hats.

Impressed by the works of i
Taymara Jagmohan
Dec 15, 2014 Taymara Jagmohan rated it it was amazing
Was this a long one? The print was small, and I rolled my eyes on some wild ideas.. haha!

It was a step-by-step approach; focusing mainly on listening. :)

Listening is the safest little notion. True? Yes, but sometimes people do not ever speak, and you do get weary venting your ideas. haha! Guess it is like a hot air balloon! :D

air meets air- only one is dense (hahahhahahahahhaha) :D

What do we know?
What do we need to know?
What is missing?
What questions should we ask?
How might we get the informati
Bct
Jan 09, 2014 Bct rated it liked it
There is a mixed approach used in this book: in a way, it is outlining ways of thinking yet in another way, it tells us how to make our conversation more interesting and ultimately, beautiful.

From the title, I initially thought this is a book about thinking, solely thinking. However, I was pretty puzzled when I start to read the book; it mentions mainly how to converse with others, how not to be boring in a conversation and many more tips that can make you a better conversationalist.

Despite that
Suad Alhalwachi
Dec 14, 2016 Suad Alhalwachi rated it it was amazing
I re read the book as I attended a talk by DeBono few years ago and bought a bunch of his books, I like his simplicity and clear thoughts. A pro when it comes to discussions and negotiations. I used his techniques for teaching too. Very glad that I was introduced to this author.
David Roberts
Sep 25, 2013 David Roberts rated it really liked it
The book I read to research this post was How To Have A Beautiful Mind by Edward de Bono which is a very good book which I bought from kindle. Edward did host a mini series on television called Edward de Bono's Thinking Course which was mostly teaching lateral thinking and creativity. In this book he looks at techniques to develop your mind and personality. To a varying degree that you are stuck with what you were born with when it comes to looks but your mind can be improved in an infinite way. ...more
Dominic Liang
Sep 12, 2016 Dominic Liang rated it really liked it
Yes, it is a beautiful book that helps you train to be optimistic and how can better be made out of nothing. This book needs to be revisited every time to bring changes in you. An advice will be to keep this copy wherever you travel.
Susan
Jan 21, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
I found most of this book to be a bit boring amd like duh! And also I found a lot of the time de bono to seem arrogant. I.e. "this super amazing thing was invented. Now im not saying it directly resulted from this, but I did have the idea first." I was like 'yes. Every good idea came from you. i suppose you came up with the wheel too'.

If you can get past this. The book itself has useful suggestions for a generation forgetting the art of conversation. I myself found the teachings around STARTING
Shirin
May 03, 2013 Shirin rated it liked it
This books gives pointers on how to be an interesting conversationalist. Ironically conversation is something that is rare these days...People are now apt to converse with the little gadget in the palm rather than the person in front of him/her. I think this is what Dr Edward has not addressed in his book. How to get people away from the gadgets and talk to the real person. Aside from this, the book is chockful of tips and guidance on how to carry a conversation. The good dr also provide a packa ...more
  • Photoreading
  • How to study
  • The Ultimate Book of Mind Maps
  • HBR Guide to Getting the Right Work Done (HBR Guide Series)
  • الكتاب الكبير للأشياء الصغيرة
  • Being a Happy Teenager
  • 50 Spiritual Classics: Timeless Wisdom From 50 Great Books of Inner Discovery, Enlightenment and Purpose
  • Holy Bible: CEV - Contemporary English Version
  • Get Anyone to Do Anything: Never Feel Powerless Again--With Psychological Secrets to Control and Influence Every Situation
  • 8,789 Words of Wisdom
  • Working With You is Killing Me: Freeing Yourself from Emotional Traps at Work
  • Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know
  • Young On Top
  • Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons In Grace And Elegance
  • The Complete Book of Questions: 1001 Conversation Starters for Any Occasion
  • The New Leaders: Transforming The Art Of Leadership Into The Science Of Results
  • Idea Mapping: How to Access Your Hidden Brain Power, Learn Faster, Remember More, and Achieve Success in Business
  • The Seasons of Life
Edward de Bono is a British physician, author, inventor, and consultant. He is best known as the originator of the term lateral thinking (structured creativity) and the leading proponent of the deliberate teaching of thinking in schools.
More about Edward de Bono...

“A discussion should be a genuine attempt to explore a subject rather than a battle between competing egos.” 82 likes
“A good listener is very nearly as attractive as a good talker. You cannot have a beautiful mind if you do not know how to listen.” 33 likes