Start by marking “Blackwater” as Want to Read:
Blackwater

Blackwater

Thirteen-year-old Brodie Lynch is ready for the perfect summer along the Blackwater River. But then his troubled cousin Alex comes to visit. A harmless prank goes too far, and in the end one teen is drowned and another is missing. Will Brodie face the truth of these tragic events, or will he hide behind the lies created to protect him?
Published (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Blackwater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackwater

Payton Gnat
I read the book Blackwater because it looked really interesting. It turned out to be a very good book. It is all about Brodie who is thirteen. His cousin, Alex, comes to stay with Brodie's family for the summer. But when Brodie takes Alex down to the pond to teach him how to swim, he sees the girl he likes on the toad stool in the middle of the pond. She is with another guy. Brodie tries to pull a harmless prank on them, but it goes too far. Both of them fall into the Blackwater River. ...more
Arionne R
Sep 30, 2009 Arionne R rated it did not like it
Shelves: action-adventure
This book isnt interesting and very predictable. In the beginnng it was very boring. The middle was ok and it did get a little more interestng. By the time I finished reading like the 30th page I already knew what was going to happen in the end. It did have a little bit of suspense throughout the book. Other than that the book was very plain and ordinary. It didnt catch my attention and the only reason I read the book was to get it over with and get on to another book.
I read that a book is a mystery if the reader doesn't know whodunit. A book is a thriller if the reader knows whodunit. This book is a thriller.

My school gave me a set of these books for my struggling readers to read. It's okay but not as gripping as I/we had hoped. The ending has somewhat of a resolution but not enough for my very literal students.

In many ways, I think this book was too easy for my students.
Hayley
Sep 16, 2008 Hayley rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Hayley by: saw it in the library
This book i thought would have been better, but once i started reading it i wasn't has excited as i thought i would be. In the begginning it was i guess you can say okay, but it didnt really catch my eye. but that is my opinion if you think you will like it then read it.
Dotty
Feb 10, 2011 Dotty rated it really liked it
Thirteen-year-old Brodie Lynch's life changes forever one summer day when he takes his cousin Alex to swim in the Blackwater River. Brodie had been looking forward to the summer a camping trip, maybe a movie date with a special girl.But when Brodie and Alex get to the swimming spot tere is that girl with another boy! Brodie's jealous attempt to sneak up and startle them ends in tragedy when they are swept into the treacherous river current, and they drown. Brodie tries to save them and is ...more
Connor
Oct 08, 2013 Connor rated it really liked it
This was a great book. In the end, Brodie told everyone the truth that he really killed Pauline and Otis, but Brodie's learns that even though he did a terrible thing, everyone still forgave him.
Cole
Nov 13, 2014 Cole rated it it was ok
Brodie Lynch lives in Rivertown where the raging black water river flows. He had his entire summer planned out with his friends until his cousin, Alex, comes and ruins it for him. Alex is a part of a trouble making gang in LA called the Vultures. His mother sends him over to Rivertown to spend the summer with some family. Brodie finds out Alex can't swim. Shortly after discovering this he decides to take him over to the river. When they go over to the river Brodie notices up on a rock they ...more
Ryne Hall
Oct 04, 2013 Ryne Hall rated it liked it
***SPOILER ALERT*** Blackwater a book by Eve Bunting i thought was a good book. In Blackwater a thirteen year old boy named Brodie Lynch was ready for a great summer .One day he went to swim with his cousin by the Blackwater river and he saw pauline a girl he knew with a guy named Otis. Brodie wanted to joke around so he went in the river and went by her and pulled her into the river. Brodie thought it was just a joke so when he got to shore he thought he would find them but all he saw was ...more
Diane Scott
Feb 19, 2015 Diane Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: two-reads
Genre(s): fictiion (suspense)

Theme(s): right vs. wrong, truth

Cultures/ Under-represented Groups: 13 year old boy is main character

Grade Level (Interest/ Difficulty): high interest/easy read for middle schoolers

Appropriateness (Edgy Content/ Issues): appropriate content for middle school

Instruction: My 7th and 8th grade ELL students loved this book (both boys and girls). One student proclaimed that it was the first book he really liked. These were intermediate level second language learners. I co
Chloe
Dec 01, 2013 Chloe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All of my piers and my family
Recommended to Chloe by: My L.A. Teacher
Kim Burean
Dec 19, 2011 Kim Burean rated it it was amazing
Brodie and his cousin, Alex, go to the swimming hole along the fierce river. When Brodie pulls a prank, disaster strikes. One kid drowns and another is missing. When Alex tells a lie about what happens, Brodie becomes a hero. Brodie must decide whether to tell the truth about what happened or let the lie be believed.

This is a great book about the moral dilemna of whethter to tell the truth and suffer the consequences, or perpetuate a lie and deal with the internal consequences. It is not always
Emily D
Sep 07, 2012 Emily D rated it really liked it
Very good book! I remember way back when in 6th grade I was forced to read this, (back then I wasn't much of a book junkie like I am now) and I absolutely loved it!
I know this sounds stupid but I never saw the tragedy coming! I was hooked! What would the main character do next?? Would his cousin Alex tell? I can't imagine how it would feel to have such a burden and know you were the cause of the upcomming horrible chain of events.
It was a very good read!-More for younger kids though.
Irisjade
Reading it 'cause my boyfriend read it when he was a kid and loved it. I think the story's not bad, but it is a little immature for me. Oh well. I'll do it...for him.
~~~
Like I said, it was a little immature for me, but a decent story nonetheless. I can see why it impacted him so much, since he probably read it really young. Hey, a book's not bad because you chose to read outside your age group. But then again, it wasn't amazing either.
Jo Gallagher
Apr 13, 2014 Jo Gallagher rated it it was amazing
Reluctant high-school readers hard to motivate? This is a go to book for my students who do not like reading. I loved it. The thinking about lies and who they hurt are challenged here. I'm always struggling to find great reads that my students will jump into. Jumping into Black-water has been easy. I've lost three out of my classroom library this year alone. Oldie but goodie.
Heather
Feb 11, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, read2011, audiobook
Something terrible happens on the day that Brodie takes his cousin Alex down to the pond to learn how to swim. Most of this book follows the thoughts and worryings of Brodie as he decides how to handle a tragic situation and his involvement in it.

Audio version was fine-nothing great or terrible.
Amanda
There is a boy, he likes this girl. He gets these movie passes from his grandma and askes her if she wants to go she said sure. He see's her with this other guy. He grabes her foot and she falls in so does the kid she is with. They drown he runs. (you can read it to find out the rest.) It isnt the best book.
Kara Glavin
Apr 27, 2015 Kara Glavin rated it did not like it
I HATED this book! The main character was insufferable; I know that he "learned his lesson" but he was a self-entitled brat who pulled a horrible prank because he saw a girl he liked with someone? I didn't feel sorry for him at all. Maybe you shouldn't pull pranks on people that could possibly kill them!
Jun 19, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
A dark, but appropiate for 6th graders, novel from Eve Bunting begins with an ominous opening that draws readers into Brodie's troubled summer where he has to decide whether to tell the truth - his involvement in two deaths - or stay silent and be known as the hero....The choice is made harder because someone else saw what happened and they want Brodie to tell.
Danielle
Aug 04, 2010 Danielle rated it liked it
Another good read (and another good selection for lit circles). This one will give kids lots to think about in terms of the choice they make (hopefully).---------------Ah ha! Now I figured out why this author's name looked so familiar when I saw it on picture books at the library today! Rereading this one for lit circles (see a trend yet?).
Jenny
The back cover of the book made it sound like an adventure story in which someone died. Instead, it's a book about a child dealing with death and guilt. It was interesting for me, but I think would be less so for the age bracket it targets, who are going to be looking for more action.
Ms. Heres
What if something really bad happened when you were just messing around with someone? You didn't mean for it to happen...and now you don't know how to tell anyone what really happened. This book packs a good bit of suspense into its short 150 pages.
Tyler Warner
Nov 06, 2012 Tyler Warner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
This book was fantastic! It was filled with suspense and mystery, and I really liked how the author ended each chapter on a suspenseful note. It made me want to keep reading! I also like that the main character got in trouble at the end of the book because that is what would happen in real life.
Karen
Dec 17, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrenslit
A good book to discuss ethical issues when a 13 year old's prank goes too far and one lie leads to another to cover up the tragedy. A great book to read aloud and discuss with children.
Sam Thomas
Feb 11, 2013 Sam Thomas rated it it was amazing
This book made me shiver and kept me on the edge of my chair. This mystery is chilling, and surprising! Even so, I loved it!
Rebecca
Aug 05, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it
3.5 This was one of the better summer reading books I've had to read. The story was interesting enough, the plot was cut short I feel but the story overall was pretty good
Nov 01, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle Schoolers
If you liked Red Kayak then Blackwater will also be enjoyable. The mystery and tragedy that surround the river make this book a great read.
Pamela
May 16, 2012 Pamela rated it liked it
Very quick,easy read. This book is on the Reading Olympics list for 4th/5th graders for 2012-2013. I thought the book was good but not appropriate for 4th and 5th graders.
Dena
Jun 10, 2013 Dena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great whole-class book for 6th grade. Short, mystery-driven plot with just enough moral complexities to have interesting discussions. See also: Eleven
Kerrie
Great lower lexile book for upper grade students or higher upper elementary. Even better book about social issues to discuss with students about telling the truth. Awesome book and a quick read.
Alana
Feb 18, 2009 Alana rated it really liked it
I really liked Blackwater. It taught a very powerful message. I liked the mystery and the action. It is worth reading!
  • Alone at Ninety Foot
  • Pearl Verses the World
  • Francie
  • Slam Book
  • Mama, Let's Dance
  • Homeless (Wild at Heart, #2)
  • Tiger Boy
  • We Were There, Too!: Young People in U.S. History
  • Jake's Tower
  • The Tale of Despereaux: A Junior Novelization
  • Please, Please, Please (Friendship Ring, #2)
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...