Start by marking “The Fox, The Captain's Doll, The Ladybird” as Want to Read:
The Fox, The Captain's Doll, The Ladybird

The Fox, The Captain's Doll, The Ladybird

These three novellas display D. H. Lawrence's brilliant and insightful evocation of human relationships - both tender and cruel - and the devastating results of war. In The Fox, two young women living on a small farm during the First World War find their solitary life interrupted. As a fox preys on their poultry, a human predator has the women in his sights. The Captain's ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Penguin Classics (first published 1921)

Kate
Jul 27, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
Without an interest in and appreciation of Lawrence's techniques and style as a writer, this book of three novellas would probably have seemed quite dull.
Luckily, I love his work, so I really enjoyed these stories.
Another great writer trapped by his society and their small-mindedness.
Richard
Oct 28, 2015 Richard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
These three novellas are probably not the best starting-point for those new to the works of D. H. Lawrence. Unfortunately, they are also unlikely to convert anyone who, like myself, finds it difficult to appreciate or enjoy his writing. Varying in setting and incident (although only The Fox has much of a plot), each is the account of a love-triangle, populated by characters who think, feel, and act in ways that are virtually unrecognisable as the thoughts, emotions, and behaviour of anyone I've ...more
Rebekah
Nov 15, 2014 Rebekah rated it did not like it
"The Fox" was pretty good, and the first half of "The Captain's Doll" was ok, but I rather disliked the end of "The Captain's Doll," and I very much disliked "The Ladybird." Not into his "will to power" junk and the lengthy philosophizing without a story line!
The Literary Bystander
I remember reading this awhile back for my Year 12 Literature class, and to be honest, I wasn't that much of a fan of it. Maybe I am just some twat who finds more interest reading trashy YA Paranormal stuff but eeeeh?

While I can understand the historical context for a novel like this (because once upon a time, people never had television or the internet to entertain themselves in their free time! The horror!) - D.H. Lawrence was like the King of Repeating Stuff. I know it is meant to be part of
Ifmarybooks
Nov 27, 2010 Ifmarybooks rated it did not like it
Shelves: uni-books
Meredith
Feb 07, 2009 Meredith rated it it was amazing
"In this life based on the wicked triangle..." (204). These three novellas--all stories of erotic triangles--explore the eternally returning shadows of modernity: dissociation, destructive energies that outlast war proper, the aggression at the root of desire, disorienting shifts from intimacy to alienation, the subconscious intentionality of "accidents" (Banford killed by the felled tree, Mrs Hepburn falling out the window), and the failure to find meaning or connection in a world of displaceme ...more
Craig Thornber
Feb 08, 2014 Craig Thornber rated it really liked it
So I just read this relatively short novella for uni and I loved it..... It's a powerful but short love story, that refers to lesbianism without it ever being mentioned. But who is in love the two women? or the woman and the man? and furthermore how does the pressure placed upon them by society immediately after WWI force their hands in such matters.

A great short read with a surprising ending that leaves all parties both bitter and pleased with the results at the same time.
Emily
May 27, 2011 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
three novellas at a time was too much d.h. at one go! not to mention watching a mini-series version of 'lady chatterley' around the same time. overkill on stories of class relations and tortured love. i still think lawrence's life story is at least as fascinating as any of his books, and my favourite of his writings so far is 'the man who died' ...

there's a sharp oddity about his writing that i find appealing. the intense focus on nature and colour, and the intimate details about how a couple sp
Ross
Feb 15, 2016 Ross rated it liked it
Women and men contend with each other in these three novellas taking place during the First World War and its aftermath. Lawrence’s rapturous descriptions of flora and fauna are frosted over by his characters’ thoughts and base motivations, which are brought to the chilly forefront.
Eryka
Mar 26, 2010 Eryka rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading these stories. The characters were really unique and quirky. Each of the stories have a sort of theme of love in them, yet they couldn't be more different from one another. The Fox I laughed out loud during and found to be the most comical of them all. The Captain's Doll left me feeling a little resentful or something similar. The Ladybird was probably the most intense of the three and had a very unexpected turn. I saw all of the characters and scenery so very clearly an ...more
Meghan
Nov 11, 2010 Meghan rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. I haven't experienced D.H. outside of poetry and short stories, but these are more novellas than a typical short. All three stories had some really interesting gender issues specific to WWI. I particularly liked "The Fox," but the connections between the Count in "The Ladybird" and Dracula were interesting as well. Lawrence just has a way with great storytelling, this is quite the collection.
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
It's been a long time since I read any Lawrence so this was an interesting experience. Only read these because they are set texts for year 12. I think that they will stretch the capacity o most f students. The 3 stories have very similar themes - dealing with the relationships between men and women and the difficulties of reconciling their different views. Not really enjoyable stories - so much darkness, so little happiness.
Addie
Apr 22, 2012 Addie rated it really liked it
Heavy in ambiguous symbolism, gender politics and meditations on happiness. The experience of reading it was disconcerting, fascinating, and somehow vaguely repulsive at the same time, if that makes sense. The Fox is my first foray into the weird world that is D. H. Lawrence. It was assigned reading, but I shall have to come back and look at the other two novellas in the collection sometime!
Chris
Nov 27, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
So far I have read the fox, a terrible insight to some of the disaster that can be caused by sexual attraction mistaken for love, in the mind of our young soldier, and the power it and war can have on affecting his judgement. After reading this depressing yet intricately written novella I have found an author that I really enjoy, best of all-it's a literature text. :)
Iona
Jan 20, 2013 Iona rated it really liked it
My lecturer insisted that we shouldn't enjoy this, that the writing is transparent and indulgent in a way that fits a 15 year old girl. Obviously I liked it very much. I enjoyed the darkness, the closeness, the claustrophobia and the vague nihilism. Maybe it isn't particularly clever, but it was entertaining.
Emily
Jun 19, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
An engrossing trio of novellas. Loved the original ending to "The Fox" included in the Penguin Classics edition--anything that offers a peak into the author's writing process is awesome.
Irsida
Apr 12, 2011 Irsida is currently reading it
I finished the first story, The LadyBird and am loving it. Lawrence is a wonderful writer and great weaver of complicated human emotions.
Idiolalia
The Fox; The Captain's Doll; The Ladybird: Cambridge Lawrence Edition (Classic, 20th-Century, Penguin) by D. H. Lawrence (1995)
Albie
The Fox; The Captain's Doll; The Ladybird : Cambridge Lawrence Edition (Twentieth-Century Classics) by D.H. Lawrence (1995)
Liam
Dec 23, 2013 Liam rated it really liked it
Includes a terrible piece of hack work by Helen Dunmore as an introduction.
Melusina
Jun 20, 2009 Melusina rated it it was amazing
Each phrase is wonderful - the genius of D.H. Lawrence pierces through every page, as always.
Janet
Mar 14, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
I enjoyed every story in this collection. Beautiful descriptions of nature, haunted lovers.
Kamilah
Jul 08, 2010 Kamilah rated it liked it
interesting, i think i enjoyed the captains doll the most and the fox the least
Nov 11, 2007 Laura rated it did not like it
Aaaaagh I HATE D.H. Lawrence! Why have I read so many of his books?!!
Isabelle
Nov 21, 2009 Isabelle is currently reading it
I've been rereading these to teach them - starting next Tuesday.
Mina
Apr 15, 2007 Mina rated it liked it
The Fox is classic D.H. Lawrence. Symbolism and ambiguity abound!
Guillermo Salas-Suarez
Sep 14, 2012 Guillermo Salas-Suarez rated it really liked it
Fascinating psychic exploration of characters.
Rav
Rav is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
Eva Dunsky
Eva Dunsky is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2016
  • Shiva: The Wild God of Power and Ecstasy
  • The Flight from the Enchanter
  • Candy Is Dandy: The Best of Ogden Nash
  • The Divine Romance: Collected Talks and Essays on Realizing God in Daily Life
  • The Veil of a Thousand Tears (The Pearl Saga, #2)
  • Prelude
  • Lithium for Medea
  • The China Price: The True Cost of Chinese Competitive Advantage
  • Dr. Wortle's School
  • Modigliani: A Life
  • Flux (Maps in a Mirror #2)
  • Chance
  • Galileo's Finger: The Ten Great Ideas of Science
David Herbert Richards Lawrence was an English writer of the 20th century, whose prolific and diverse output included novels, short stories, poems, plays, essays, travel books, paintings, translations, literary criticism and personal letters. His collected works represent an extended reflection upon the dehumanizing effects of modernity and industrialisation. In them, Lawrence confronts issues rel ...more
More about D.H. Lawrence...