Start by marking “Professor Diggins' Dragons” as Want to Read:
Professor Diggins' Dragons

Professor Diggins' Dragons

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Published March 28th 1974 by Macmillan Pub Co (first published January 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Professor Diggins' Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Professor Diggins' Dragons

Jess
Jun 30, 2007 Jess rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone, kids, young adults, parents looking for something different to read to their kids
alright, I'm putting this book out here because it was one of my favorite books growing up, and even now that I'm an adult I can still read this book and appreciate something else about it. A great chapterbook with a good message that doesn't slap you in the face with a patronizing tone. A cute story.
Valerie
This book tends to suffer by comparison with better-known works (such as those of E Nesbit and Edward Eager). And there's no doubt that the content and the material could be better handled.

Considered in its own light, however, it's a pretty good book. There are some very good (and often quite subtle) touches. I was well into the second chapter before I realized that one of the characters was named 'JaRmes', I automatically read it as 'James' until I noticed the divergent spelling.

If one can see
MB
I loved this book as a child. (I was always so jealous of these children's idyllic summer at the beach--and still am.)

Purchased, and am rereading with the intention of passing it on to the next generation.

The wonderful illustrations by Ib Ohlsson add so much pleasure to the reading experience!
Carrie Butler
I loved this book as a kid and recently rediscovered it in a used book shop. I loved it just as much as an adult, though I couldn't help but think that these days there is absolutely no way on earth any parent would allow their children to go off for the summer to a secluded beach in a retro fitted bus with a semi-retired professor (that wouldn't have happened when I was a kid either). That being the case, it's probably quickly losing relatability. Still, the overarching theme of finding and def ...more
Lindsey
Loved it as a child, and still love it as an adult! Charming.
Hilary
SPOILER ___

The dragons are those things that keep you from realizing your full potential or ambitions. Low self-esteem should be slain. Bad habits, ditto. Ultimately, these are the dragons readers are urged to fight.

The slightly preachy endy will appeal to concrete thinkers. The overall tone and the line drawings promise a story similar to Nesbitt's and Enright's novels.

I was disappointed, though. I was hoping for dragons of the fire-eating variety.
Sheryl Tribble
Not a fantasy book in the sense of physical dragons or anything out of the ordinary happening (I think comparing this to E. Nesbit's books gives people the wrong idea). I would compare it to Elizabeth Enright's books in the sense that it's kids working their way toward adulthood in a world with reliable adults they can touch base with when necessary, with lovely interludes of parties or experiencing nature or just hanging out.
Tina See
This is a wonderful book that I received through the Weekly Reader club. It's a super summer vacation story set in a time before iPhones and PCs. I found it in a local library and am reading it again. Finally! I'm getting the "Dragons" reference. We all have them. I just wish there were other books with these wonderful characters. Wish I could find an online version to read and keep!
Ellen Ramsey
Spend the summer dragon hunting with Professor Diggins, a naturalist and professor of marine biology. It's an amazing, relaxing, and intriguing expedition to a pine grove at the shore for Lydia, Jarmes, Orson, Mary Abby, and John. And the dragons they find are most unusual "dragons."
Kidsbookworm
This is a wonderful story! I really need to find a copy for our family. I came across it by accident at the library several years ago.
Elizabeth
Professor Diggins' dragons by Felice Holman (1966)
Chandra
loved this book as a kid
Hannah
Hannah is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2014
Auburn
Auburn added it
Nov 02, 2014
Meril
Meril added it
Oct 12, 2014
Sumit Bansal
Sumit Bansal marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Sarah added it
Jun 07, 2014
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
195197
Felice Holman was born October 24, 1919, in New York City. She graduated from Syracuse University in 1941 and later worked as an advertising copywriter. She married Herbert Valen in 1941 and some of the experiences of their daughter, Nanine Elisabeth Valen, would serve as the model for her first book, Elisabeth, The Bird Watcher, which was published in 1963.

During the 1960s, she published two more
More about Felice Holman...
Slake's Limbo: 121 Days The Wild Children The Cricket Winter The Drac: French Tales Of Dragons And Demons Real