Start by marking “Stuff Happens” as Want to Read:
Stuff Happens

Stuff Happens

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  17 reviews
How does the world settle its differences, now there is only one superpower? What happens to leaders risking their credibility with sceptical publics? From events which have dominated international headlines for the last three years David Hare has fashioned both an historical narrative and a human drama about the frustrations of power.
Paperback
Published April 20th 2006 by Faber & Faber (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Stuff Happens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stuff Happens

Sam Haddow
Robert Fisk, commenting on Colin Powell’s appearance at the February 2003 UN Security Council Meeting, said that Powell seemed quite unsure of himself, halting and unconvincing, as he delivered his now infamous fairytale justifying the US’s subsequent invasion of Iraq. Conversely, Fisk noted, when he saw David Hare’s Stuff Happens in New York, three years later, the Powell on stage was much more forceful, more charismatic, and a good deal more sure of himself.

I mention Powell, because Hare has
Phillip
I thought this was an ok play. I mean, its approach was interesting and the quasi-documentary style challenged the way we think about current events and contemporary politics. But I just wasn't interested in the basic substance of the play. 9/11 and the build up to the Iraq invasion simply aren't interesting subjects for me.

This play does challenge us to think more deeply about what has become a political platitude--that politics is more show than substance. This play performs the disjunction be
Beth Younge
Its a play of the time. I think it was good but it just reminds me so much of the attitude growing up surrounding Iraq.
Leonie
Despite being aware of the events that occurred following the 9/11 attacks, I had never taken a strong interest in the political events and the relationship between Britain and the US at the time. This play opened my eyes to the realities of Bush and Blair's motives, and presented the facts in a way that was utterly transparent. I thoroughly enjoyed the play, despite at times finding it a little dense. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for an introduction to modern political t ...more
Calum Parfitt
I really enjoyed this polemic, it takes an unsentimental look at the events leading up to the outbreak of the Iraq war. Funny and sinister, the play is a scathing attack on the Bush administration, though some 'characters' get it a lot worse than others. Although the figures are in essence acting out a plot to which we already know the final picture, the play is still thought provoking and exciting.
Michael Gardener
while reading this (now in small increments, a scene at a time while on the toilet) i must keep in mind the good intentions of the play write to provide us with a dramatization of what he imagines may have taken place in those undocumented private meetings. suffice to say it was probably uglier then this play depicts.

Gretchen
An incredible and unlikely page-turner. You actually see the play in your head as you read. The second I was done reading it, I started at the beginning and read it all again a second time--something i don't ever remember doing with any book or play before. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Yourfiendmrjones
Making the fall of Colin Powell as the arc in this play was a very smart choice. If anyone lost their soul in this administration, it was Powell, if only by virtue of the fact that he was the only cabinet member who had one to lose.
Ramsey
An exercise in taking quotes and events (nonfiction) from the press and other sources, then writing a piece of fiction. Or is it? A historical play. That's what it is. Very recent history. Overall, good read.
Michelle Lynne
Not something I'd normally read, but I did enjoy the fact that it outted the government as a group of individuals who don't really understand what it is they're saying, or the impact of world events.
Megan
I saw a production of this play in Los Angeles two or three years ago. What is said about the recent history of the United States actions in Afghanistan and Iraq were deeply insightful and poignant.
Brynn
Disappointing. No great insights into the people involved, just a retelling of the whole disaster in play form. What was the point?
Talia
*RECOMMENDED BY CIARA GOLDFINCH
Playwright42
Everyone involved in any way in the war on terror must read this play.
Lee
Penetrating, funny take on our current mess, from a British perspective.
Nathan Black
One of the best plays I have ever read.
Dana
Awful play! I couldn't even finish it.
Liz Swan
Liz Swan marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Lorna
Lorna marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
  • Democracy
  • Plays 1: Owners / Traps / Vinegar Tom / Light Shining in Buckingshire / Cloud Nine
  • The Seafarer
  • Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
  • The Mercy Seat: A Play
  • Seascape
  • The Baltimore Waltz and Other Plays
  • We Can't Pay? We Won't Pay!
  • Jerusalem
  • Dogg's Hamlet, Cahoot's Macbeth
  • The Cryptogram
  • The Royal Hunt Of The Sun (Millennium Series)
  • Love-Lies-Bleeding
  • Other Desert Cities
  • Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Sir David Hare (born 5 June 1947) is an English playwright, screenwriter and theatre and film director. Most notable for his stage work, Hare has also enjoyed great success with films, receiving two Academy Award nominations for Best Adapted Screenplay for writing The Hours in 2002, based on the novel written by Michael Cunningham, and The Reader in 2008, based on the novel of the same name writte ...more
More about David Hare...