Start by marking “Everyday Acts and Small Subversions: Women Reinventing Family, Community and Home” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
"Anndee Hochman helps us to imagine the new possibilities for relationships, rituals and language ... and to understand that when we throw away that rule book we are not alone."--Ms.¶"A wonderful trove of experimentation and possibility."--The Women's Review of Books¶"This book is a homecoming!"--Philadelphia Daily News
Published February 1st 1993 by The Eighth Mountain Press

To ask other readers questions about Everyday Acts and Small Subversions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyday Acts and Small Subversions

Melody
Nov 18, 2010 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating look at community and family and what those words mean to different people at different life stages. My only quibble is that the polyamorous crowd was largely ignored, though a lot of other family styles were covered nicely. Some of it is pretty dated, but all of it is interesting. Well-worth reading
Wendy
Jul 05, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Melody
Recommended to Wendy by: Laurie
I guess this book is a little dated now--it was even when I read it in 2001--but I think about it often. I love how it shows that there are so many different ways people choose to live their lives, and it reminds me of my camp counselors when I was a kid, many of whom were Portland lesbians like this author.
Stephanie
Jun 24, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I found this book in my Dad's collection after he passed away. I can't imagine why he owned it, it does not seem like something he would read. But there it was and being the Sociology Major that I was I read it. What a treat full of great ideas for creating community.
Nov 27, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, gender
Somebody gave me this book at a time when it was probably Not My Thing, but it turned out to be a fascinating look at the changing definition of family. I've recommended it to several people whose definitions could use a little redefining.
Marita
Feb 12, 2009 Marita is currently reading it
Um, this is an AWESOME book! It makes you think about how we live our lives everyday and how we want to live our lives!
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Jan 23, 2016
Donna
Donna added it
Jan 14, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Tracy
Tracy added it
Mar 09, 2015
Orient Coleman
Orient Coleman rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Susan Halvor
Susan Halvor rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Amalia
Amalia is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Janis
Janis marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
m_miriam
m_miriam marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Roni
Roni rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2013
A. Kuhlii
A. Kuhlii rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2013
Barry
Barry rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2012
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2012
Jane Dg
Jane Dg rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2012