The Kitchen Knight: A Tale of King Arthur

The Kitchen Knight: A Tale of King Arthur

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  403 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Noble Gareth defeats a dreaded knight and wins the hand of a fair maiden.
Published September 1st 1990 by Holiday House (first published August 1990)

Jenelle
Well, well, well.

Looking at fairytale books on amazon, this one came up with good reviews, so I finally checked it out at the library (good thing I didn't buy it sight unseen!). Just read it to the kids tonight, making snarky side comments all the way through.

I'm not a fan of authors who adapt fairy tales for kids without making it kid friendly. It's like she literally translated the text from the old english or whatever, regardless of whether or not it made sense. My kids were slightly confused...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Margaret Hodges is a wonderful author, and with Trina Schart Hyman illustrating it, it has to be good.
RachelvlehcaR
This is a re-telling. The artwork is wonderful, amazing illustrations in this book. This is a story of a royal knight comes to a castle and works as a kitchen boy. He is battling to save the lady's sister from the Red Knight who has capture her. Over and over again the lady is rude to him and really is a snob. I would have just left because she was just horrible. The best parts are the ending. That made me laugh.
Madeline
Jun 09, 2013 Madeline added it
Shelves: 2013
When a strange boy comes to the Kingdom asking King Arthur to provide him with food for a year, King Arthur accepts. The strange boy proves himself worthy of Knighthood when he continuously slays enemies and does right by King Arthur and a maiden named Linette. It turns out that the boy was King Arthur’s nephew, Gareth, but did not want to be known because he wanted to see who his true friends were. In the end Gareth fights the ultimate knight: the Red Knight, and wins the heart of Linette’s sis...more
Kelly
The illustrations make the book. The story itself is a little strange- well, it's not a modern tale, it's a medieval one, isn't it? And so it feels strange to us. Still, I have to say that Sir Gareth seems like kind of an idiot.
Dan
Beautiful artwork, and really great story. Loved this book.
Perelandra
Beautiful illustrations and kept my daughter's attention through to the end. The text could have been better but was not bad.
Miss Clark
Ernie
Trina Schart Hyman is among the greatest of all illustrators, for children's books or otherwise. Every illustration in this book is astounding, and the story isn't too bad either.

For those who are wondering, this book IS better than Hodges' St. George and the Dragon, even if St. George won the Caldecott.
Pamela
Eh, it's been done better. Hodges' language really isn't accessible to kids. I'd recommend The Squire's Tale over this, because although it's a lot longer, it's spunkier and funnier and more coherent.

And when I got to the end, my eyes got big and I said, "Kinky!" out loud. At work.
Scott
Obviously I chose this because of the genre (children's fairy tales) and the illustrator (Trina Schart Hyman) are favorites of mine. The plot is a little convoluted for a child to follow, however, and certainly needs explanation as you are reading it, even to an 8-year old.
Rachel
(Picture Book) A royal knight comes to a castle and works as a kitchen boy. A fair maiden doesn't want anything to do with him until he proves himself and she learns he is royalty as well.
Volsung
Jan 01, 2010 Volsung added it
Shelves: picture-books
Another triumph of a children's "Arthurian" book from Hodges and illustrator Hyman. Like their "Saint George and the Dragon," it is finely told and excellently illustrated.
Jenny
This was a fun read aloud for my 5.5 year old. I had to explain the fanciful language more than I think is good for the flow of the story, but he still liked the fighting knights.
Abby
While I wasn't completely won over by the story, the illustrations are 100% beautiful. I think I will be seeking out more by books illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman.
Jan
A rather soppy, overblown version of the tale, in which Gareth vanquishes several knights and wins the fair maiden. Gorgeous watercolor illustrations. Grades 4-7
Whitney
This is one of my favorite Arthurian tales. (Though I have to say I always thought it ended wrong. Gareth should have ended up with Lynette.)
Angela
This book really kept the kids' interest. The illustrations were marvelous with great fighting scenes depicted.
Julie
An introduction to the King Arthur stories for the early grades. . . great story and exceptional illustrations.
Miri
I don't care for this story, but this is how much I loved the illustrations.
Ann
Wonderfully told ... MAGNIFICENTLY illustrated !!
Zachary
One of my favorite books growing up!
Roxanne
Good story and retelling of Gareth.
Anajoy-rusticgirl
very lovely illustrations.
Aadam
Oct 29, 2007 Aadam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
medieval/renaissance
Ravana McPherson
Ravana McPherson marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
April Clarke
April Clarke marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Sandhya Nissanka
Sandhya Nissanka marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Tam Lin
  • The Persian Cinderella
  • Beauty and the Beast
Saint George and the Dragon Merlin and the Making of the King The Wave The Boy Who Drew Cats Milton's Comus