Start by marking “To the Blight (Wheel of Time, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
To the Blight (Wheel of Time, #1-2)

To the Blight (Das Rad der Zeit #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  911 ratings  ·  27 reviews
An American Library Association "Best Books for Young Adults"A VOYA "Best Books for Young Adults""Jordan has come to dominate the world that Tolkien began to reveal." The New York TimesPursued by Trollocs and Myrddraal, Rand and his friends find refuge in the deserted city of Shadar Logoth. But their wandering-and the many dangers they face-are far from over. For from the...more
Published March 6th 2003 by Atom (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about To the Blight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To the Blight

Michael Hannaford
Jan 10, 2008 Michael Hannaford rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hardcore fantasy fans with A LOT of time to kill.
This series is both entertaining and hugely frustrating. At 11 books averaging 800 pages apiece, it's quite a time investment.

The plusses:

+ Robert Jordan has a knack for compelling plot. I really, really wanted to know what happened next at nearly every turn.

+ The concepts are original - excepting of course that he takes the same stuff from Tolkien that everyone else does - and pretty nifty. I especially like the Yin/Yang idea of the one power and its male and female halves.

+ The characters...more
Liz L
The sequel of From the Two Rivers and part 2 of The Eye of the World, The Blight made for a spectacular beginning for the series. When I started this book, I didn't realize how attached I had become to the characters until one died and other came into greater danger.

The whole beginning of this series is about three young boys from a tiny farming land, The Two Rivers, that is extremely secluded from the rest of the world. These three boys are supposed to change the world - either one of them or...more
Michael Reynolds
Mar 16, 2007 Michael Reynolds added it
Recommends it for: Everyone Literate
Shelves: fantasysci-fi
Folks, this series is the real deal. I don't care whether or not you like fantasy...this series is barely fantasy, much closer to getting dropped off in the middle of a historical event. Like politics? There's political maneuverings galore. Are you a woman? Many women who have read The Wheel of Time thought Robert Jordan was a pseudonym for a woman because of how accurately he portrayed women. I really can't say enough good about the series. Life enriching, full of plot, intrigue, character, cha...more
Courtney Miller
Mar 24, 2007 Courtney Miller rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those with rich imaginations
Shelves: re-reading
I feel I have to state first, that I've already read all of the Wheel of Time books.

I decided to re-read the series because I found myself unable to read anything else without saying "well, it's not as good as Robert Jordan ..." which is an awful way to live.

I gave this first book only 4 stars because I have to admit that when I first read it, I was not completely hooked. There's a lot of characters, a lot of action and a lot of braid tugging. But what a wonderful way to start a series ... a def...more
Amanda
Andra delen var bättre än den första, tycker jag. Här börjar helt plötsligt berättelsen ta form, vi lär känna karaktärerna bättre och det händer mer saker. Samtidigt är översättaren något av det sämsta jag mött. Slarvfel lite här och var, heter Mat Matrim Cauthon (som det står i boken) eller Mathon Cautrim (som det står i ordlistan)? Hur kass får man vara liksom. Och ja, jag vet att han heter Matrim, men ändå. Övergår här med till de engelska böckerna så något gott förde det ju med sig att övers...more
Teresa Dragonfire
Tras un primer libro que me había dejado con un cierto regusto amargo por no cumplir mis expectativas, este segundo volumen presenta una gran mejoría.

Los personajes empiezan a adquirir una personalidad más diferenciada a la vez que las situaciones a las que se ven obligados a enfrentarse configuran su manera de ser. La acción transcurre con más velocidad y los giros en la trama te mantienen atrapado entre las páginas del libro. La narración y descripción tan buena como en el primero.

Estoy seg...more
Ana Elena
A pesar de la ayuda mágica de Moraine Sedai y de las formidables dotes guerreras del guardián Lan, Rand AlThor y sus amigos no han podido deshacerse de sus perseguidores. Ni siquiera el desvío a la fantasmagórica ciudad de Shadar Logoth ha logrado disuadir a los servidores del Oscuro.Ahora están atrapados entre un ejército de trollocs y la temible amenaza de los Myrddraal. Además, el Oscuro ha enviado a Aginor, su mejor general, para asegurarse de que Rand perecerá.A menos que Rand sea capaz de...more
Jenna St Hilaire
Thanks to being sick, between last evening and today I pounded through the three-hundred-odd pages of this book. And it fascinated me. I know a lot of the structuring of world and plot is supposed to be based on Buddhist and other Eastern thought, but maybe it's a mishmash like Star Wars, because numerous little details suggested Christian themes to me as well. The names of the evil one, for instance.

I'll plan on reviewing both parts of The Eye of the World together on my blog before long. But t...more
Dan
Oh, gosh, Wheel of Time...I still vaguely remember who recommended these to me. Anyways, these books are pretty long and the plot gets ridiculously convoluted at times, but I have thoroughly enjoyed all 11 books that are out so far (plus a short prequel novel) and eagerly anticipate the 12th and final. Seems like a lot of people look down on Jordan's books because characters are one-dimensional or stereotypical, and all kinds of hackneyed plot twists appear or something like that. I would say, t...more
Mitchell
ateedub
This is a very complex fantasy tale that actuall draws on a wealth of cultures as the basis of the various cultures in the story. The complexity makes it engaging, but in the end, it is fantasy and the constant struggle against evil using the power of the 'true source' gets tiring.

This was another guilty pleasure for me during high school and college. I have the latest (or next to latest perhaps?) book on my shelf. It's been there for 2 years now and I haven't cracked it open yet.

David
Andrew lent this book to Mark in the sixth grade, and I think I just up and took it from him. Then I didn't end up reading it for about a year, so I totally wasted Mark's time, which was admittedly a dick move.

As it turns out though, the author then decided that he needed to write an extra six books at two-and-one-half years a pop to finish the story, so Mark and I are still waiting for the end of the story. I think everyone else more or less up and quit reading.
Nicolas
This is a difficult series to read unless you devote large chunks of time to it. It's not a "pick up and read 6 pages" kind of book. Overall, I am really in to the story. I enjoy the characters and find the whole thing very interesting. My biggest complaint is that there is just too much. I feel like this book would have been much better if it would have had a more firm editor.
Chris
A bit slow, but I find the series appealing enough to keep going.
Ryan Oates
Apr 12, 2007 Ryan Oates rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all fantasy lovers
The book is the first of many great Jordan novels that capture the imagination. Plenty of good characters and several story lines to keep you moving around. A great read. Prepare to take a while to read the entire series, as they still have not finished it as far as I know.
Susan Fine
The world that Robert Jordan creates is amazing! He rivals (and in my opinion surpasses but I have been called a blasphemer for that statement before) Tolkein! By the time you're done you care a great deal about Matt, Perrin and Rand Al Thor.
Dev
Begins to epitomize the worst in fantasy: endless books that never climax, but just continue, characters that never embrace their actual humanity, but manage to stay 2 dimensional, but hey, otherwise Jordan's at about 12,000 pages and still going.
Flint
I think in terms of action, suspense and story this is probably the best book out of the entire series in terms of completeness. You won't find nearly the type of progression and pacing in any of the books following this one.
Naomi Toole
Apr 06, 2007 Naomi Toole rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good fantasy
I'm now hooked on this 12 book series so do not start it unless you're ready to read the rest!

Also you have to be a fan on fantasy, it is defintely one of the best fantasy series about. A friend in Seattle put me on to it.
Kevin Hartman
The first three books of the Wheel of Time series were great. After six more (which took about 10 years to be written) I quit. Never again shall I read a WoT novel!!
Helene
Første bok i en serie som begynte fanastisk bra, men som tapte seg litt etter som tiden gikk og det kom stadig flere bind.
Veronica Morfi
Rating: 4.5/5

Review of the full Book #1: here
Yass Fuentes
Leída la edición en castellano quite abarca un medio del libro bajo el nombre de "La llaga"
Chelsi Cassilly
Fabulous. I want to go on an adventure. Look forward to reading more.
Jimmy
this is one of the greatest things i have ever read
Arunkumar Mahadevan Pillai
A thoroughly satisfying series, this!
Steve
Apr 01, 2007 Steve rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fanfic Lovers
Shelves: wheeloftime
Rivetting, edge of the seat reading.
Julsey
very good, the plot thickens.
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • La reine solitaire (L'assassin royal, #6)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • When the Snow Fell
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • The Sea Fairies
  • The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk, #2)
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to...more
More about Robert Jordan...
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4) The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12)

“In wars, boy, fools kill other fools for foolish causes” 340 likes
“Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain.” 128 likes