Start by marking “The Times of Their Lives: Life, Love, and Death in Plymouth Colony” as Want to Read:
The Times of Their Lives: Life, Love, and Death in Plymouth Colony

The Times of Their Lives: Life, Love, and Death in Plymouth Colony

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  11 reviews
James Deetz, who until his death was a leading expert on the archaeology of Plymouth Colony, and his wife, cultural historian Patricia Scott Deetz, give a realistic and fascinating picture of life in colonial America as they recount, in colorful detail, the true story of Plymouth Colony.

The Pilgrims were not the somber, dark-clad historical figures children learn about in
Published October 16th 2001 by Anchor (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Times of Their Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Times of Their Lives

Particle_Person
James Deetz was one of the founders of the field of historical archaeology and was one of the people who helped set up Plymouth Plantation. This book describes the history of Plymouth Colony from the Mayflower's landing to the 1690s with an emphasis on everyday life rather than the big historical events. It is a very idiosyncratic book, mostly by James I think, but completed by his wife Patricia. The text is entirely in the third person, which sounds ridiculous when James is talking about himsel ...more
dejah_thoris
Thorough and well-researched but a bit dry at times. I really enjoyed the chapters on social history and crime within the colony but found those on archeology and the founding of Plimouth Plantation less than enthralling. Yes, this book does a fine job of debunking the Puritan myth both by contrasting the reality with the myth and also contrasting the different settlements against one another (Plymouth, Massachusetts Bay, and Chesapeake Bay) where applicable. But my biggest problem was the forma ...more
Bryan
First, it's important to state that this book is well-written and appears to succeed at every goal the authors had. Second, I'm glad I read it.

Those statements aside, though, it is a very dry read and at times cumbersome. For me, it lacks the page-turning effectiveness I greatly enjoy in other works that conjure history. Having descended from one of the very people being described throughout (and specifically, at one brief point, much to my thrill), I am certainly in the camp of "willing to figh
Tami
I really enjoyed this up until the section about the housing. At that point, the authors lost me... Not having a background in architecture, I think the general reader would have benefited from additional sketches to supplement the detailed written description of the building types.
Shirley Brown
This wasn't quite what I thought it was going to be, but nonetheless I found it interesting because of my connection to the Plymouth Colony through John Alden, Priscilla Mullens, her parents, Edward Doty and George Soule who were all passengers on the Mayflower. The archaeological digs were most interesting and the court transcripts wills, probate listings were informative. Over-all the book was a little slow, but I would recommend it to any one who is interested in the "Pilgrims".
Kathy
The second half of this book, about the archaeology of Plymouth, is the more engaging. Deetz is more interested in the archaeology as well--the writing becomes more energetic and fluid, his off-hand remarks funnier. This presupposes that you're interested in what sorts of houses the 'pilgrims' built, what spoons and dishes they used, what they drank out of and wore. If you're interested in the history of these early settlers, Philbrick's Mayflower is better.
Natalia
Mar 01, 2010 Natalia added it
Shelves: non-fiction
I found the first few chapters interesting when the authors discussed the travel to and first landings on the new land, but then the authors jumped ahead to the late 1600's after the colony is well established. I am more interested in the early years of the plymouth colony.
Darrell Johns
This book presented a much warmer and more human picture of the Pilgrims. It also gives a clear, detailed picture of their day to day lives. Extremely engaging narrative from an Anthropological perspective.
Rebecca
Jul 11, 2007 Rebecca rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who are sick of the Jamestown rahrah.
This book is quite interesting. It is about the settlers who came over from England and landed at Plymouth, MA. I haven't finished the book yet, so I will complete my review later.
Scott Ford
The purpose is to debunk "numerous myths that surround the landing of the Mayflower and the first Thanksgiving." Pilgrims were human... go figure!
Carolyn
Wonderfully researched! Made the lives of so many earlier Plymouth settlers seem less like myths and more like humans.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2015
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Tammy Regis
Tammy Regis marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Monica Myers
Monica Myers marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Margaret Staudter
Margaret Staudter marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Tricia Noel
Tricia Noel is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2015
Jennifer D
Jennifer D marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Lessie
Lessie marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Salem Witch Trials Reader
  • The Salem Witch Trials: A Day-By-Day Chronicle of a Community Under Siege
  • The Reshaping of Everyday Life 1790-1840
  • Everyday Life in Early America (The Everyday Life in America series)
  • Good Wives: Image and Reality in the Lives of Women in Northern New England, 1650-1750
  • Big Chief Elizabeth: The Adventures and Fate of the First English Colonists in America
  • Victorian America: Transformations in Everyday Life, 1876-1915
  • Salem Witch Judge: The Life and Repentance of Samuel Sewall
  • A Little Commonwealth: Family Life in Plymouth Colony
  • Locust: The Devastating Rise and Mysterious Disappearance of the Insect that Shaped the American Frontier
  • The Shoemaker and the Tea Party: Memory and the American Revolution
  • The First Frontier: The Forgotten History of Struggle, Savagery, and Endurance in Early America
  • The Devil in the Shape of a Woman: Witchcraft in Colonial New England
  • Of Plymouth Plantation, 1620-1647
  • Pioneer Women: The Lives of Women on the Frontier
  • Judge Sewall's Apology: The Salem Witch Trials and the Forming of an American Conscience
  • First Generations: Women in Colonial America
  • American Insurgents, American Patriots: The Revolution of the People
In Small Things Forgotten: An Archaeology of Early American Life Flowerdew Hundred Flowerdew Hundred: The Archaeology of a Virginia Plantation, 1619-1864 the Archaeology of a Virginia Plantation, 1619-1864 Invitation to Archaeology The Art And Mystery Of Historical Archaeology: Essays In Honor Of James Deetz Flowerdew Hundred: The Archaeology of a Virginia Plantation, 1619-1864