Start by marking “Monsters: Evil Beings, Mythical Beasts, And All Manner Of Imaginary Terrors” as Want to Read:
Monsters: Evil Beings, Mythical Beasts, And All Manner Of Imaginary Terrors

Monsters: Evil Beings, Mythical Beasts, And All Manner Of Imaginary Terrors

The human mind needs monsters. In every culture and in every epoch in human history, from ancient Egypt to modern Hollywood, imaginary beings have haunted dreams and fantasies, provoking in young and old shivers of delight, thrills of terror, and endless fascination. All known folklores brim with visions of looming and ferocious monsters, often in the role as adversaries t ...more
Published October 11th 2002 by University of Pennsylvania Press

To ask other readers questions about Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsters

Brad
Jun 29, 2007 Brad rated it liked it
A good survey of international monster traditions. Gilmore's interpretation veered toward the psychological which I found less helpful than if he had related monsters to theories of social alterity.
Eustacia Tan
Feb 03, 2016 Eustacia Tan rated it it was amazing
I've been meaning to read this book for a while, but the NLB didn't have it. Luckily I got one more free month of Scribd, so this was the first book I picked up.

Monsters is an overview of the monsters throughout the world. And this time, it really is an overview of monsters throughout the world, rather than monsters in Europe.

For the record, a monster is defined as "supernatural, mythical, or magical products of the imagination [...] monsters are imaginary, not real, embodiments of terror." The
Rainboe Sims-Jones
Monsters is an extremely well-researched and well-documented study of monster archetypes throughout all cultures cross-referenced with the work of Freud. Together, these two elements formulate several theses that discuss whether humans from each culture have the same fears and how those fears define, enrich, and influence the way-of-life for their respective societies. Gilmore extracts examples from Greek mythology, Christian lore, film, science, widespread psychoses of North American indigenous ...more
Steve Westenra
Mar 18, 2016 Steve Westenra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful series of case studies in monster theory that is a must-read for anyone working in the field.

Although the details of the case studies themselves were fascinating, Gilmore has the most to offer in his methodology and theory chapters, making some astute observations as to the relationship between monster and creator. I do wish there was more of an application of the theories he presents in the case study chapters.

A few minor, factual errors prevent me from giving the book the full five
Clifton Toliver
Jul 16, 2011 Clifton Toliver rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythology
I really liked this book and would recommend it to anyone interested in this subject. Gilmore does a great job of putting forth his thesis and supporting arguements quite well. Especially on the psychological points on how monsters affect our psyche.
Rebecca
Sep 12, 2007 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Psych/Sociology nuts like me!
This is a book that studies the psychological role monsters play in the human psyche....I can't wait to get my hands on this one!
Peter Girvan
Jun 25, 2012 Peter Girvan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Peter by: Lisa
Shelves: academic
A must-read for any Gamemaster, providing the core motivations and qualities of monsters. It tells you why all those beasties in your Monster Manual want to do what they do!
Rhonda
Jul 28, 2011 Rhonda added it
Lots of lists: here are these monsters from these places. Nonetheless, the first and last chapters about the social NEED for monsters were quite interesting.
AngelaGay Kinkead
May 04, 2011 AngelaGay Kinkead rated it it was ok
Interesting sections on monsters in other cultures and continents (Japan, North, Christian World, etc.) and a concluding chapter, "Our Monsters, Ourselves."
Tracie
Tracie rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2015
CM
CM rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
sue
sue rated it it was ok
Nov 09, 2011
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Eileen Lane
Eileen Lane rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2015
Miguel
Miguel rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Leprickon
Leprickon rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2011
Stephanie Ann Moffett
Stephanie Ann Moffett rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Brian Beatty
Brian Beatty rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2013
Lena
Lena rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Brandi
Brandi rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Jason Danely
Jason Danely rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2012
Alix Amnamare
Alix Amnamare rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Titus Hjelm
Titus Hjelm rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2007
Elizabeth Mayer
Elizabeth Mayer rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Angstboy
Angstboy rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2011
Nick Keeler
Nick Keeler rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2013
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

“The power of monsters is their ability to fuse opposites, to merge contraries, to subvert rules, to overthrow cognitive barriers, moral distinction, and ontological categories. Monsters overcome the barrier of time itself. Uniting past and present, demonic and divine, guilt and conscience, predator and prey, parent and child, self and alien, our monsters are our innermost selves.” 3 likes