Start by marking “Feather on the Moon” as Want to Read:
Feather on the Moon

Feather on the Moon

"A well-told story, one of Ms. Whitney's best."
THE CHATTANOOGA TIMES
Seven years after her child had been taken from her, Jennifer Blake received an invitation from wealthy Corinthea Arles, who clamed to have found her daughter. From the moment Jennifer arrived at Mrs. Arles's luxurious estate on Vancouver Island, she was caught up in events beyond her control and surrounde
Hardcover
Published 1991 by Bdd Promotional Book Co. (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Feather on the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feather on the Moon

Sharon
Jan 01, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
This was one of the last books Phyllis A. Whitney wrote, and it was quite enjoyable. I realized, partway in, that I had read it some time ago ... but I had forgotten enough of it that I still enjoyed the suspense.

In this tale, Jennifer Blake's daughter, Debbie, is abducted from a grocery store. Seven years after the abduction, she is contacted (via the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children) by a wealthy Canadian woman who thinks that the girl presented as her great-granddaughter may
Joyce
May 09, 2012 Joyce rated it it was amazing
Feather on the Moon is the story of Jennifer Blake a young widow who a year after her husband is killed mountain climbing, suffers the loss of their three year old daughter who is kidnapped. Now seven years later she receives an invitation from a Corinthia Arles to come to Victoria, British Columbia. The elderly, wealthy Mrs. Arles thinks "Alice," who is supposed to be her great-granddaughter, could be Jenny's long lost "Debbie." Mrs. Arles wants proof before she changes her will to include ...more
Dayna Smith
Feb 08, 2014 Dayna Smith rated it really liked it
Jennifer Blake's three-year-old child was kidnapped seven years ago. She has almost given up hope of ever finding her again. Then she receives a mysterious phone call from Vancouver Island. The wealthy Corinthea Arles thinks the child that is being presented to her as her great-granddaughter and heir is Jennifer's Debbie. Determined to find the truth Jennifer finds herself in the middle of a family in crisis with secrets they want kept at any cost. Fans of Whitney, of which I will admit I am ...more
Joyce
May 09, 2012 Joyce rated it it was amazing
Twists and turns in every chapter. Just when I thought I had the mystery solved there was a new piece of information or someone had a hidden secret that changed the story. I liked the descriptions of the places that were visited, the tales of the Indians and the creation of the totems. I am now interested in researching Victoria, British Columbia and perhaps visiting there if any of the setting is real.
Jodi
Jun 13, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it
This is so far the best Whitney adult novel I've read. Though I probably would give it 3.5 stars instead of four. She places the novel in Victoria, BC and brings in enough of the city to make me want to visit. I found the characters interesting and the story riveting. I along with the heroine, Jenny, was dying to know if Alice was really her long lost daughter. The story was good enough to make me want to continue to give Phyllis Whitney a try.
Nancy
Sep 28, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it
Not bad. Lots of surprising connections which I didn't guess ahead of time. This was written more than 20 years ago and the story is about determining whether a child is the kidnapped child of the main character. I kept thinking a dna test would solve all this pretty quickly. Science has progressed.
Trish
Aug 22, 2013 Trish rated it did not like it
Lynn Spencer
Feb 19, 2014 Lynn Spencer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic
I have very fond memories of some of the older Phyllis Whitney books. My mother is a huge fan of this author, and I remember having some of her books handed down to me in middle school and high school. Somehow I missed out on Whitney's later works, so when I saw Feather on the Moon at the UBS, I was thrilled to pick up a book by Whitney that I hadn't read before.

This one isn't her best effort, but it's not a bad read. I suspect that if I had read it back in the 90s, I probably would have enjoyed
Pat
Jan 21, 2016 Pat rated it really liked it
In this book, the action kicked in right away. All the characters were very interesting, obviously were covering up secrets, were all suspicious of one another - and the revelations just kept coming!
Almost all of it took place in Victoria, British Columbia. I enjoyed the descriptions of the city and places in it and nearby, as well as the background provided. I consider this to be one of the best books by Phyllis A. Whitney.
Alisa
May 30, 2008 Alisa rated it really liked it
If you haven't read any of Phyllis A. Whitney's books- they are very much like Mary Higgins Clark's books- good, clean, mysteries. I believe she wrote them in the 1960's, but many libraries still have them. The only book of hers that I didn't like was "the Demon Lover". It was completely different than all of her other books, and I don't recommend it- I should have realized that from the title, but since her other books had been safe, I didn't worry about it.
Mary
Oct 18, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys suspense
Recommended to Mary by: I read this long ago in high school
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Anita
Apr 17, 2013 Anita added it
Recommends it for: Someone liking twists to a story line.
Some things are not as what you expected or thought. I had already got the feeling that Kirk was Edward. Just couldn't understand how no one else realized that. Especially his wife. Was a bit annoyed that Jenny just couldn't get Law involved to get her Daughter back once she found her. Good ending to the story.
Rayni
Oct 10, 2007 Rayni rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I picked this book up, thought, "I don't remember reading this." As I got into it, I remembered parts of it, but didn't remember all of it. I stayed up til almost 2 a.m. this morning & I had to get up & teach an exercise class.
Lynda
Apr 07, 2014 Lynda rated it really liked it
I read this book many years ago, when I was in high school. I still sometimes think of the story, and reading something else from this author.
Suzana
Jan 26, 2013 Suzana rated it really liked it
A reminder as to why I liked her a teenager. Good descriptions and likeable characters with a good mystery and surprises.
Charlotte
Apr 20, 2012 Charlotte rated it liked it
A good mystery with interesting characters set in beautiful Victoria, BC - makes me want to visit there again.
Jacqui
Okay, I admit it. I'm a sucker for old-fashioned character-driven suspense. Pure indulgent escapism.
Lorma
Apr 04, 2012 Lorma rated it really liked it
Another oldie I read back in the late 80's and would recommend to anyone who loves mystery, and suspense filled novels. This one fits the bill.
Fareeha
Nov 06, 2008 Fareeha rated it liked it
Shelves: gothic
A typical fun ride from Whitney !
Cathie
Apr 17, 2013 Cathie rated it it was amazing
Good book. A little drawn out, but well written and the suspense was very good.
Dpic
Well written. Good story. Interesting characters
Amy
Sep 09, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Awesome book many surprises. Loved it didn't want to put it down
Partridge Public
Whitney, Phyllis A.
Hope4flowers
Mar 11, 2011 Hope4flowers rated it really liked it
Recommended to Hope4flowers by: Mom
Like this author
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Julie Dominguez
Julie Dominguez rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2012
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
  • Snare of Serpents
  • Winterwood
151920
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...