Start by marking “When Babies Read: A Practical Guide to Helping Young Children with Hyperlexia, Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  19 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Audra Jensen' son began reading when he was only two years old. She shares her experiences - both the challenges and joys - of raising a child with autism and hyperlexia - an early and obsessive interest in the written word associated with social deficits and significant difficulty in understanding verbal language.

The author stresses the importance of diagnosis of the cond
Published August 8th 2005 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers

Brigid
Jan 16, 2013 Brigid rated it liked it
Didn't love it - definitely didn't love it - but didn't hate it, either. It wasn't really what I expected, though I'm not sure how to articulate what I was expecting. I found some parts more technical/clinical than necessary.

If I'd read this book earlier, when my son was younger and we realized he could read, I might have found it more helpful and put into practice more of the suggestions she gives. However, we're further along our path now (roughly the age her son was when she started writing t
Heather
Sep 17, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Based on the title I was expecting something different. I think this book is perfect for preschool & elementary teachers and all special education teachers in addition to parents of any child/baby that is showing language delays. Great resource for school psychologists, speech pathologists & diagnosticians.
Mar 04, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
An excellent book to help understand Hyperlexia (early reading combined with verbal language problems) and how it relates to autism. There is a lot of great advice abouthow to use the early reading skills as a teaching tool to help the child understand verbal language,play, and social skills.
Andrea Elderkin
Andrea Elderkin rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Tom Buratovich
Tom Buratovich rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Amy Reddick
Amy Reddick rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Nichole
Nichole rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Mar 14, 2015
Denise Mitomi
Denise Mitomi marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2015
Krista Dulaney
Krista Dulaney rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Eshaneh
Eshaneh is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2014
Bee
Bee rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Vicky
Vicky rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Craig Calvert
Craig Calvert rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Natalie
Natalie rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2014
The Smiths
The Smiths marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Julia
Julia added it
Jan 11, 2014
Adelle
Adelle marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Tomsikjr
Tomsikjr rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2013
Missi
Missi rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Sneha
Sneha marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2013
Susanann62
Susanann62 marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2012
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2012