Start by marking “The Impartial Recorder: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Impartial Recorder: A Novel

The Impartial Recorder: A Novel

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The Impartial Recorder is an extraordinary book about ordinary people in a small town in the middle of nowhere. It may be the only funny book you will ever read about the weather. And the only novel that comes with its own handy index to help guide you straight to subjects such as "sushi, and Christian guilt," "adultery, brazened out" and "regretted bitterly," "snacks, bet ...more
Published July 6th 2004 by Harper (first published July 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Impartial Recorder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Impartial Recorder

Heidi Marleau
Sep 02, 2012 Heidi Marleau rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
Maybe I just had too much of Ian Samson books but I couldn't stay with this one. I wanted to like it but I gave up on it after a while. Just too much of a good thing, I guess.
Beth
Nov 01, 2007 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: funnylight
Ah, life in small town, Anywhere, UK... where one guy has made it rich ripping up the quaint downtown and selling land at high profit to a brand-new mall on the outskirts. Where people drown their sorrows in the pub or the whirlpool at the new New Age spa. Where the idealistic newspaper editor settles for less muckraking, more gossip. Funny, somewhat acerbic, but never actually depressing or overly cynical. Like Sansom's first mobile library mystery (which he published after this book and in whi ...more
Steve
May 12, 2015 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The most apt way to describe this book is if you imagine the British version of Lake Wobegon. It consists of interconnected stores (with meandering footnotes). And it's quite funny, with some of life's pathos thrown in for good measure. Just like in Lake Wobegon!
Gail
Aug 24, 2011 Gail rated it it was amazing
Just loved this book. Couldn't read more than a page or two before I'd be chortling and reading passages aloud, much to the disgruntlement of my husband. So fun to become acquainted with the town's inhabitants, and follow their lives as they earnestly followed their dreams. This was a GREAT read.
MB (What she read)
Extremely witty and laugh-out-loud funny...but very dry. I had to drag myself through it.

It is very like Keillor's Lake Wobegon Days in style. Except Irish and drier.
Bev
Jul 18, 2011 Bev rated it it was amazing
Dry, subtle but hilarious sense of humour throughout -- I just loved this book. Reminds me of Stephen Leacock's small-town humour. I kept reading bit aloud to John so we could both laugh. Brilliant.
Laura Rodd
Dec 27, 2012 Laura Rodd rated it really liked it
I love this wonderful Irish writer and Sansom lays bare his soul again. He laughs at himself as his characters break apart with longing and angst.
Rebekah Stein
Rebekah Stein marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Jackson
Jackson marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Amelia Lewis
Amelia Lewis marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Lisa rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Becky Spratford
Becky Spratford marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Gregory Allen
Gregory Allen rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Todd Morgan Jeffries
Todd Morgan Jeffries rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Brian Gilmore
Brian Gilmore rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014