Start by marking “Broken Days (Quilt Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Broken Days (Quilt Trilogy, #2)

Broken Days (Quilt Trilogy #2)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  652 ratings  ·  28 reviews
When her mother died, she told 14-year-old Walking Breeze to seek out her family-the Chelmsfords of Salem. She will find solace there.But Ebie Chelmsford has other ideas. Ebie knows that her half-Shawnee "cousin" will take her place as grandfather's favorite. And Ebie will do anything to stop that--even trying to prove that the girl is an imposter.
Mass Market Paperback, 275 pages
Published April 1st 1997 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published October 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Days

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodMagic America by C.E. MedfordLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Women
89th out of 199 books — 82 voters
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by AviNumber the Stars by Lois LowryTurtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. HolmStanding in the Light by Mary Pope OsborneThe Lacemaker and the Princess by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
Best Historical Stand Alone Books For Kids Aged 10-14
33rd out of 66 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
Broken Days has a great plot and historical setup. Rinaldi really made me feel as if I was living during that time period. However, I just didn't like Ebie, the main character. I mean, I could understand why she acted the way she did, but that doesn't mean that she should. In this book, Walking Breeze has set out to find her white family, but Ebie doesn't want to compete for the title of Most Loved Grandchild. She is rude and hateful to Walking Breeze, shunning her and trying to keep her out of ...more
Gale
PATCHING UP FAMILY WOUNDS AND SECRETS

Ann Rinaldi takes up the story of the Chelmsford family in this 2nd novel of her QUILT trilogy. Set against the backdrop of the War of 1812 we meet a preliminary female protagonist, Half Indian Walking Breeze, in the 3rd person, before we meet the primary heroine, 14-year-old Ebie of Salem, MA. Truly a novel of historical fiction this YA book presents many historical characters and events during the presidency of James Madison. Inevitably confusing but neces
Kailia
The second book in the Quilt Trilogy by Ann Rinaldi, takes us to the next generation. The characters we met in the first book are grow, married and with children.

Cabot's only daughter Ebie, the main character was a lot of fun to read about. She was young, head strong and knew what she wanted and how to get it. Though I thought how she treated Walking Breeze was sad and not very nice, I also had sympathy for her. All she wanted was to be loved by her Grandfather, like any young girl. When she rea
Stephanie A.
I felt a little awkward and out of sorts because it's been so long since I read the first book. Did I read the first book? Or did I just always want to but never get around to it? The books are set so far apart that I don't think it really matters, but still. The biggest thing I took away from it was disappointment that it never went back to the Shawnee girl's perspective.
Cindy
A lot of wisdom and treasures of truth are found in this book, but in the desire for this book to be Juvenile Historical Fiction, many things are skimmed. Yes, this is set in an era and much history is referred to, it is rather skimpy in details. I'm reading this trilogy because of the 'quilt' reference, but even that is skimpy. But the wisdom of 'Broken days' is endearing.
Rachel N
Meh. The protagonist in this book really got on my nerves with her unending self-centeredness and immaturity. Her predictable change of heart didn't come until the last two chapters. Disappointing... especially since the setting - 1812 Salem, Massachusetts with indians, Brits, sailors, and classy New England women - could have been fascinating.
Jill
Liked, not loved. Again, like the first book - too much going on. Enjoyed the history. Good discussion of White Americans vs. Native Americans. I enjoy the descriptions of influences in protaganist's life. Didn't find all characters like-able or interesting, but a good setting and I enjoy reading about the main family.
This was a great story set during the time of the War of 1812. It really plays on the idea of who was the bad guys: Indian or White-Americans? I love that the answer is still unresolved even though I persoanlly know which characters I like best. Ann Rinaldi never fails to impress me!
Beth Dufraine
"A Stitch in Time" was the first installment of "The Quilt Trilogy", so I'll probably be reading this one and those again since I read them back in the '80s and don't remember much about them now. I do remember that it had some history in it that I enjoyed though.
Heidi
The Chelmsford trilogy continues. When the discovery is made that one of the sisters captured by Indians has a child by her Indian husband, the family is set against each other and the people in town as this child comes to live with her white family.
Lori
How much selfishness and deceit can one family inflict on each other...generation after generation? Oddly enough, as much as I enjoy Rinaldi's historical fiction, this is one trilogy I will not finish.
Becca
After reading the first book I came to love the characters, and got to see them in a whole new light with this book and it made me feel that they where more realistic in this second book.
Ayesha
I will be honest, I really didn't like the book that much. At the beginning, it became interesting, but it became dull afterwards to me. It appears that I am not a fan of this trilogy.
Julie
I read this trilogy years and years ago. I went through a phase of reading a LOT of Ann Rinaldi. I remember enjoying them but they weren't all-time favorites.
Teresa
I liked the character of Walking Breeze and the way she handled the family dynamics. It wasn't a great read for me, but I did enjoy it.
Linda
Each of the titles in the trilogy is set during a different period in history. Broken Days takes place during the War of 1812.
AlixJamie
Not my favorite, the last one is better. It isn't really historical either, at least not as much as her other books.
Courtney
This is one of the only books I've ever read in which I despised the main character, it was interesting.
Vicky
This was a easy read. There was some history in there, which I loved. Good second book in a trilogy.
Alyssa
It was a good story, but it just wasn't as good as the first book.
Alice
This one was really good, but I liked A Stitch in Time better. ;)
Pam
Not as good as the first one, but still interesting.
rivka

Erica
Erica added it
Jul 29, 2015
  • Beyond the Burning Time
  • Just Jane: A Daughter of England Caught in the Struggle of the American Revolution
  • Earthquake at Dawn
  • North by Night: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • Hope's Crossing
  • I Walk in Dread: The Diary of Deliverance Trembley, Witness to the Salem Witch Trials, Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1691
  • One Eye Laughing, the Other Weeping: The Diary of Julie Weiss (Dear America)
  • Sarah Bishop
  • A Line in the Sand: The Alamo Diary of Lucinda Lawrence (Dear America)
  • The Ramsay Scallop
  • When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer (Dear America)
  • The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl (Dear America)
  • Moon Bridge
  • Look to the Hills: The Diary of Lozette Moreau, a French Slave Girl (Dear America)
  • Stephanie: Heart of Gold (Hearts and Dreams, #3)
  • Lyddie
  • Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth
  • Annie, Between the States
Ann Rinaldi (b. August 27, 1934, in New York City) is a young adult fiction author. She is best known for her historical fiction, including In My Father's House, The Last Silk Dress, An Acquaintance with Darkness, A Break with Charity, and Hang a Thousand Trees with Ribbons. She has written a total of forty novels, eight of which were listed as notable by the ALA. In 2000, Wolf by the Ears was lis ...more
More about Ann Rinaldi...

Quilt Trilogy (3 books)
  • A Stitch in Time (Quilt Trilogy, #1)
  • The Blue Door (Quilt Trilogy, #3)
A Break with Charity: A Story about the Salem Witch Trials Time Enough for Drums Girl in Blue The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre My Heart is on the Ground: the Diary of Nannie Little Rose, a Sioux Girl, Carlisle Indian School, Pennsylvania, 1880 (Dear America)