Start by marking “Remembering Mrs. Rossi” as Want to Read:
Remembering Mrs. Rossi

Remembering Mrs. Rossi

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  220 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Mementos from her mother's students help a young girl to grieve in a middle-grade novel by award-winning author Amy Hest.

Eight-year-old Annie lives in a sunny apartment in Manhattan with her father, Professor Rossi. Life would be pretty good if only Annie didn't so achingly miss her mother. When Mrs. Rossi died suddenly, she left not only Annie but also a classfull of stud
Published January 9th 2007 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Remembering Mrs. Rossi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remembering Mrs. Rossi

Equating the Equations of Insanity by Durgesh SatpathyThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenVeronica's Grave by Barbara DonskyAutistic blessings and Bipolar me. by E.J. PlowsIf Only by Carole Geithner
Children's Grief
6th out of 26 books — 39 voters
Twelve by Lauren MyracleThirteen by Lauren MyracleEleven by Lauren MyracleThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Best books for 13 year olds
91st out of 181 books — 151 voters

More lists with this book...

Nancy O'Toole
In Remembering Mrs. Rossi, young Annie is recovering from the sudden an unexpected death of her mother, a school teacher. The book follows her through the season as she learns to appreciate her mother's memory, and become used to her now single parent family. Remembering Mrs. Rossi deals with the subject of death and recovery with kid gloves. The author is obviously not looking to write a sad story, but one of a girl fondly remembering her mother. The protagonist, Annie, who is often selfish and ...more
Teresa
Mar 09, 2016 Teresa rated it it was amazing
A tender, episodic depiction of the first few months of Annie Rossi's life without her mom.

How a generally happy little girl deals with a great loss. She never stops missing her mom, wishing that she were still alive, thinking about telling her things and imagining her simply being alive again. Annie misses her for small things--she always remembered about boots, matched pajama tops and bottoms--and big events. Her dad is a real hero (we can see) sharing his loss in an honest but supportive way,
Shannon
Feb 11, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
This book caught my eye when I was labeling the collection as genres. Read the first 5 pages & was already in tears. And finished the rest over a weepy lunch. A wonderful selection for those children who have lost a parent or those who like compassionate literature.
Kellie
After reading Letters to Leo, I discovered this book existed. I thought it would be neat to read more about Annie and her father around the time her mother died.

Unfortunately, I didn't get what I expected. I had hoped for more about her mother, and more about how Annie and her father coped immediately after her mother's death. The book is called "Remembering Mrs. Rossi" but it felt like it was more about Annie's life than about her mother. We didn't even get to see what the kids wrote in their
Ella
May 28, 2012 Ella rated it it was amazing
Thia is such a sad story:( if you read it the story tells you about Annies life.
LOVE THIS BOOK READ THIS
Andrea Gordon
8 year old Annie 19s mother dies of pneumonia. On their own, Annie and her professor father are struggling to find ways to carry on without her. When they are invited to a special assembly at the school where her mother taught, Annie isn 19t sure that she can go into the school without her mother. In the end, Annie and her father are happy they went to the assembly since her mother 19s Grade 6 class has made a very special book for them 13 Remembering Mrs. Rossi.

Reading Remembering Mrs. Rossi an
Kellee
Reviewed at:

After Annie's mother, Mrs. Rossi a 5/6 grade teacher, dies suddenly, she finds herself and her father struggling to survive without her. On evening they are invited to a concert and assembly at her mother's school where her school presents a book to them dedicated to Mrs. Rossi and written by the students. Annie immediately finds refuge within the pages of the book. We then follow Annie's first year without her mother and how she struggles wit
Maureen
Dec 13, 2009 Maureen rated it really liked it
Last year a beloved and well respected colleague, Jennifer, died in a horrific car accident traveling home from her stepson’s wedding. Although badly injured her husband and two year old daughter Delaney survived. Jennifer approached life, especially motherhood with boundless energy and enthusiasm. Our last conversation was about a photograph Jennifer had of Delaney laughing uncontrollably as she careened down a corkscrew slide. Trips to Jennifer’s classroom, paperback books bearing her name, sc ...more
Linda
Sep 01, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
We hear many of the thoughts of Annie Rossi, a quite opinionated little girl in this sweet book. Thank goodness she finally shares her thoughts which are mostly about missing her mother, who has died suddenly during the previous year. Annie's feelings of sadness are often jumbled, and they come and go, which is normal, but it doesn't help the utterly sad feelings that show up-sometimes uninvited. For example, Annie, who lives in an NYC apartment, wakes up one morning to a lot of snow. The school ...more
babyhippoface
Mrs. Rossi, a 6th-grade teacher, unexpectedly dies of pneumonia during the school year. Her students create a remembrance book, which turns out to be a wonderful gift for Mrs. Rossi's family. Mr. Rossi and Annie, a 3rd-grader, take great comfort in reading the stories and poems written by Mrs. Rossi's class as they attempt to adjust to life without their wife and mother.

There was just something about this book that bothered me. I think maybe it was that Annie seemed more like a 1st- or 2nd-grade
Jenn
Nov 14, 2009 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, lis-565
Annie and her mother and father live in New York. Mrs. Rossi is a sixth-grade teacher, Mr. Rossi is a Columbia University professor, and Annie is a 8 year old kid. The author and illustrator have just begun to show the Rossis and their sweet life on Riverside Drive with their fine apartment house across from the park when suddenly, Mrs. Rossi dies from pneumonia.

”’Mommy, come home now,’ Annie whispered, ‘and I’ll be your nurse, and we’ll watch TV on the couch and then you’ll be all better…’

The l
Lisa Ford
Mar 22, 2008 Lisa Ford rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 2nd grade and up
This book is from the point of view of the daughter of Mrs. Rossi. When a 6th grade class's teacher dies, they make a book about her and present it to Mrs. Rossi's husband and 8 year old daughter. This book is good to help children relate to the impact of death. It would also be helpful in dealing with feelings if someone close to them did die. I think it's especially helpful in this area because Mrs. Rossi's daughter goes through times that she's mad at her dad because he doesn't do things 'mom ...more
Payton
Feb 10, 2015 Payton rated it it was amazing
The book remembering Mrs.Rossi was a good book.I recommend this book to somebody named Caitlin and Janelle.
The book was about a little girl her father and mother. They were a really good family until her mom got in the hospital with a sickness.A few months later she got in trouble for the first time in the class year and she was mad at her teacher.This book was a good book for me and i hope others read it also.
Heila
Sep 23, 2015 Heila rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-mg
Very well done. Believable and endearing portrayal of an 8 year-old girl. I actually got teary at the end - students remembering their teacher, and the main character's mom who has died. I appreciate books like this that deal unflinchingly but gently with serious life subjects. Subjects that all children need help facing squarely. A good story.
Sheila
Jul 31, 2014 Sheila rated it liked it
Very very sad book but well-written. It is heart-warming to see the healing begin between the girl and father after the death of her mother. Her mother was a teacher and her class made a book about what they remembered about Mrs. Rossi.
Wmd9800
May 11, 2014 Wmd9800 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Totally delightful! (Considering the subject.) I think Amy Hest perfectly captured "kid thinking." Also, I know a book is good if it makes me feel; I laughed out loud and nearly bawled like a baby in several places.
Summer Valencia
May 19, 2014 Summer Valencia rated it really liked it
This is an amazing story about an 8 year old girl losing her mother. Her and her father go through grief, fun, and hard times, but they still make it through as a family . Great book over all!
Kathy
Apr 04, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it
sweet story about a little girl and her dad coping with the unexpected death of her mother. Mom was an elementary school teacher, so part of the grieving process is shared by her class.
Katie
Oct 21, 2012 Katie rated it liked it

I believe that this was a really great book. It talks and deals with a death in the family so would be a great book to read in your classroom if someone just went through a death with a close family member. This story deals with loss and healing and sends a message of empathy, patience, and steady love. There are a bunch of different emotions in this book. It doesn't go into great depth of emotion which is perfect for a younger reader. A child who has experienced something like this recently wil
Leah Fox
Jan 30, 2016 Leah Fox rated it really liked it
a really cute book about a girl whose mom died
Mrs. Bajema
Apr 06, 2009 Mrs. Bajema rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers who love _Regarding the Fountains_, etc.
Annie Rossi and her father are coping with life okay, but things are hard without her mother. Mrs. Rossi was a 6th grade teacher when she died of pneumonia in the middle of a year. Throughout the following spring and summer, Annie learns that many people loved her mother, too, and they all share their memories of Mrs. Rossi.

This book might seem really sad, but it's not. Annie is a funny girl, and you will love all the things her father thinks of to lift their spirits!
Katie Fitzgerald
This is an excellent book to recommend to kids who have lost their mom, and also a nice way to inspire kids to help friends or classmates who might be going through a similar loss. I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary to read this first book in order to enjoy Letters to Leo, kids who like to know the whole story will definitely want to read both.

Read my full review on my blog: http://sharingsoda.blogspot.com/2012/...
Kristy
Jul 10, 2008 Kristy rated it really liked it
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! This book is so sweet. This little girl has all of the spunk of my favorites - Judy, Ruby, and Just Grace, but she's sensitive to boot! A delicate introduction into realistic fiction. Would be a great recommendation for a 7-10 year old who has lost someone they love. The funny parts outnumber the sad parts 2 to 1, so it's not too sad for this still-so-hopeful transitional set.
Mommywest
After her mother dies, Annie Rossi and her father must adjust to life without her. As they find new ways to enjoy life and remember their wife and mother, a book written by Mrs. Rossi's sixth-grade students helps them through the difficult year. This story is beautifully written, and explores, in a marvelous way, the feelings that children and adults have after a loved one dies.
Dana Lynn
Feb 24, 2011 Dana Lynn rated it liked it
This book was a nice little quick read recommended by a student. It was sad, and I think was something kids (even if they have their parents) could relate too. The part at the end with the kids book pages was great!

One of my students recommended this book. It was in my classroom library and I had not read it. Since she asked me to read it, I said why not!
Lucy
Apr 26, 2015 Lucy rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I was disappointed by the lack of depth to this book. I think there are some parts of a small child's grief that it portrays realistically and in a way that would be accessible to a younger child, which is good, but overall I found myself struggling to get through the tedious writing and wishing there was more depth to the story.
Ashley Allen
This is a great book and probably the book I will present during our text set. I really enjoyed this book because Annie, the little girl whose mother died, narrates the book. She goes through the day to day struggles in great detail. I would use this book to talk about loosing a parent and do this as a whole class activity.
Katie
Feb 26, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
This book really touched my heart! It was so sad how it talked about how her mom had died and how her dad was always going to work and forgetting about Annie (the daughter and also main charector). She finally learns to..wait...why don't you just read the book for yourself!
Nancy
Jan 21, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
Good book for children who have experienced the death of someone close to them. I agree with another reviewer who said Annie seems a tad immature, but losing your mother at 8 years old might do that to you. Sweet story of a new relationship between father and daughter.
Judi Paradis
Dec 19, 2009 Judi Paradis rated it it was ok
Annie's mother dies very suddenly when she is only in 3rd grade, and everything changes. This story helps us see that even when someone important goes, other people, like Annie's dad and her mom's students, can help fill the missing place.

• Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Gooney the Fabulous
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Rain or Shine
  • Fearless
  • I Miss You: a First Look at Death (First Look at Books (Paperback))
  • Roxie and the Hooligans
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • The Fran with Four Brains (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #6)
  • Changing Woman and Her Sisters: Stories of Goddesses from Around the World
  • Enemy Spy (Shredderman, #4)
  • Vampire Island (Vampire Island, #1)
  • Mr. Wayne's Masterpiece
  • Wanting Mor
  • From Anna
  • The Magician's Boy
  • Gossip Times Three
  • Honestly, Mallory! (Mallory McDonald, #8)
  • The Holly Joliday (Judy Moody & Stink, #1)
Amy Hest is a three-time winner of the Christopher Medal and winner of the BOSTON GLOBE-HORN BOOK Award. She lives in New York City.
More about Amy Hest...