Start by marking “Voyage of the Shadowmoon” as Want to Read:
Voyage of the Shadowmoon

Voyage of the Shadowmoon (Moonworlds Saga #1)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Sean McMullen, one of Australia's leading genre writers, took America by storm with his sweeping Greatwinter Trilogy, a post-apocalyptic science fiction tour de force that won over critics and readers alike.

Now McMullen delivers Voyage of the Shadowmoon, a fantasy epic of daunting skill and scope. The Shadowmoon is a small, unobtrusive wooden schooner whose passengers and
Published December 6th 2002 by Tor Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Voyage of the Shadowmoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voyage of the Shadowmoon

Dirk Grobbelaar
Feb 12, 2012 Dirk Grobbelaar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
I attempted reading this novel about five years ago, but abandoned it after being bogged down for some time. Now, I have decided to give it another try, and am I ever so glad. Voyage of the Shadowmoon is actually a pretty demanding read. The world has a very “established” feel to it, even though it’s vastly different to the norm, and McMullen does not spoon-feed his readers. Bland imaginations will probably not appreciate this too much, as readers are often forced to speculate and draw their own ...more
Dani
Jan 23, 2011 Dani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
There's something about this book, its something I can't really explain in a review, but I just love it. There isn't one thing I can point at and say "This is what I loved" its just the whole book and the way its meshed together.

Sean McMullen has this ability to make me laugh out loud at a book and draw the attention of everyone around me and for me not to care. The part where Laron and Druskarl stumbled upon Velander and Feran is just too much. I think I read it to everyone who would listen.

Lar
A
Jan 11, 2013 A rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was too long and unfocused. The climax occurred nearly 100 pages before the end of the book. Of course there was not one clear climax, but several small resolutions and the final climax was the author's attempt to set up a second book in the series by adding content to the story designed to make you want to read the next book. And I will admit that the best writing in the book occurred in the last 50 pages and I considered reading the sequel, but reality struck.

The book was probably ev
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
An interesting dark fantasy with touches of comedy and fascinating characters. McMullen writes his own style of science-fiction and fantasy. Perhaps his most impressive ability is the way all of his characters have real personalities. There is no such thing as an all good, all bad, or simple character in his books and this one is no different.
scarlettraces
(4.5)
Ramathael
Jul 21, 2009 Ramathael rated it really liked it
Took me about 75 pages to get into - McMullen's style is different than I'm used to and it was a little hard to follow. Once I got used to the style, I couldn't put the book down - similar to the reaction I had when first reading Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon.
Noah Easterly
A bit flat. His use of the third person omniscient just didn't sit well with me, and often I felt like I was reading a description of a book rather than the book itself.
Ralph McEwen
Aug 29, 2009 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it
A most unusal cast of chacters and environs. I am looking foward to reading the rest of the series.
Danjo
Mar 08, 2008 Danjo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting, fresh fantasy world to romp around in.
Lena
Oct 03, 2013 Lena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best and most unique fantasy series I've read.
Grimread
Jun 09, 2015 Grimread rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious!
Nancy
fun book- good plot
Dana Vinke
Dana Vinke marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jun 29, 2016
Jacqueline Atherton
Jacqueline Atherton marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Michal Veselý
Michal Veselý marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Klaus
Klaus rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Bari
Bari rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Mary Rose
Mary Rose marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Maurice
Maurice marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Kristýna Žikovská
Kristýna Žikovská rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Eric Bell
Eric Bell rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Owen Butler
Owen Butler rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
  • The Aware (The Isles of Glory, #1)
  • The Destroyer Goddess (Chronicles of Sirkara, #3)
  • Light Music (Nanotech, #4)
  • Permanence
  • The Changing Land
  • On Wings of Magic (Witch World Series 3: The Turning, #3)
  • Cold Allies
  • The Ghost Sister
  • Wolf in Night (Wolfwalker, #7)
  • The Wizard Hunters (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #1)
  • Angel of Destruction (Jurisdiction, Book 4)
  • Effendi
  • Volkhavaar
  • A Scattering of Jades
  • The Mercenaries
  • The Towers of February
  • Mad Kestrel
  • Probability Space (Probability, #3)
19526
Dr. Sean McMullen, author of the acclaimed cyberpunk/steampunk Greatwinter Trilogy, is one of Australia's top Science Fiction and Fantasy authors.

Winning over a dozen awards (including multiple Analog Readers Awarda and a Hugo Award finalist), his work is a mixture of romance, invention and adventure, populated by strange and dynamic characters. The settings for Sean's work range from the Roman E
More about Sean McMullen...

Moonworlds Saga (4 books)
  • Glass Dragons