Start by marking “Reckoning” as Want to Read:
Reckoning

Reckoning

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  15 reviews
It was on a beautiful morning in June 1973 that eleven-year-old Miller McAllister’s world fell apart … That was the weekend that police found the remains of three missing teenage girls on the tiny Scottish island of Fidra. And that was the weekend that Miller’s father, Douglas, was arrested for triple murder. Thirty-two years later, Douglas has died in prison and Miller re ...more
Paperback
Published February 27th 2007 by Penguin UK (first published February 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reckoning

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Audio - a well narrated, easy to listen to tale that grips the imagination.
It was on a beautiful morning in June 1973 that eleven-year-old Miller McAllister’s world fell apart … The family returned from an idyllic weekend on the tiny island of Fidra to find the police waiting on the docks for them. Miller’s father, Douglas, is arrested for triple murder.
Thirty-two years later, Douglas has died in prison and Miller returns home after decades of self-imposed exile. The McAllister family always ma
Andrea
I tried, I really did, not least because I paid for the book. I just could not get through it. Where was the editor? Why did nobody point out to the author that the long-winded approach to obvious parts of the plot just bores the pants off (some) readers? For example: it is quite clear from the onset that Miller, the only member of the presumed killer's family who does not believe in his father's innocence, will find something among his dead father's papers that will change his mind. Why does th ...more
Emma
Another crime story. It took me A LONG TIME to really get into the story, but once I got there, I enjoyed the rest of the book a lot.
Karen
In the summer of 1973, 11 year old Miller McAllister is very happy. His family own a house overlooking the sea on the East Coast of Scotland and the small island, Fidra, that's visible from the mainland house. The youngest of three children, Miller and his father Douglas love the island, with its birds, wildlife, old ruins and the simple cottage residence.

When Douglas is arrested, tried and found guilty of the rape and murder of three young girls, Miller is profoundly affected. To start with he
Clara James
Quite a while since I read it, but I enjoyed it a lot. Standard crime thriller and a tad predictable in parts but a good read if you've got a day or two doing not a lot else!

Went to North Berwick not long after and sat and watched the lighthouse on Fidra - lovely view.
Nick
We picked this up from the English-language bargin bin at Dussmans. It is a servicable whodunnit which doesn't 'cheat' by introducing to many previously-unknown details about the killer during the 'reveal' at the end of the book. I found the ultra-short 2–3 page chapters irritating, but unfortunately they occur in so many modern thrillers that they are not really anything unusual.

Overall, this is a perfectly decent escapist type of read, but has nothing in particular to recommend it over the hu
comfort
Bit of a disappointment. I have been eying this book off for a while, but it was really hard to get interested in as it needs some editing. It was very repetitive and the author re-hashes the same point over and over. It's all right I got it the first time .

A series of murders were committed on a lonely island and a lot of the flashbacks are through the eyes of the children. So are all their memories correct.

A few red herrings add to the suspense and the ending was quite melodramatic, it could
Storm  Grayson
Oh dear! Others have reviewed this story which I should have read before reading it myself. It was a relentless repetitive story of a mans guilt which was unfounded. I agree with others, where 'o' where was the editor? I listened to it on audio while in the car and had I been reading it myself I certainly wouldn't have completed it.
After the first few chapters I had worked out who committed the crimes, not many red herrings. Is the weather in that part of the country ever nice?
Adrielle Pottle
Pretty average really. Average story, characters and writing. I did like it but it isn't a standout. Nothing jumped of the page at me and gave me that one more chapter feeling. In saying that, it wasn't a bad read, just not overly exciting either.
A-n-n-e

Interesting perspective of family following the conviction of an accused killer. Good plot. Although the author introduces alternate plausible suspects, the ending is predictable. Still,a good read, if a little drawn out.
Jean
Dreadful read! I was compelled to finish it...just expected it to get better! It was fragmented, repetative and tedious. Most of all not at all believable!!
Lynne
This is a page-turner. Not at all what I expected when I first began to read it.
Lots of surprises. Enjoyed very much.
Caroline Barr

Brilliant just a great read was gripped from start to finish
Alusha
The ending was the only good part about this book. Beginning and middle? Blah.
Alsjem
OK, but lenghty for an obvious story line.
Maz Loton
Maz Loton marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Jenni Boyd
Jenni Boyd marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Ezzati Areza
Ezzati Areza marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Lus Tenería
Lus Tenería marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Cassandra Hale
Cassandra Hale marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Amal
Amal is currently reading it
Jan 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Reunion The Burning The Dead Pool Arnie Avery Typography & Language in Everyday Life: Prescriptions and Practices