Start by marking “Shake Dem Halloween Bones” as Want to Read:
Shake Dem Halloween Bones

Shake Dem Halloween Bones

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  43 reviews
It's Halloween night. The city is quiet. The city is still. But as the lights go down, the music comes up - and the guests start to arrive at the hip-hop Halloween ball! And oh, what a party it is. Told in hip-hop rhyming text, L'il Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks, Tom Thumb, and all of their fairy-tale friends come together for a rapping, stomping, shaking Halloween romp. Sco ...more
Published September 29th 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Shake Dem Halloween Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shake Dem Halloween Bones

Cortney
Come one, come all, to the Hip Hop Halloween Ball.

“I said, shake, shake, shake dem bones now.
Shake, shake, shake dem bones now.
Shake, shake, shake dem bones
At the hip-hop Halloween ball.”

Join all your favorite childhood friends including Cinderella, Tom Thumb, Snow White, and Rumpelstiltskin at the hip-hop Halloween ball. Who knew story time could be so much fun!

WARNING: This song may be stuck in your head, long after the children have gone to bed!
Aimee
In the special education class I worked in the kids looked forward to reading this book every Halloween. I think I had as much fun reading it as they did hearing it, because it has a lot of rhythm, and I would practically sing it to the kids. In my opinion, it is the best Halloween book there is for children. The rhyming scheme is great, the pictures are inviting, and it incorporates fairy tale characters the children may know.
April Scheivelhud
This book was an absolute blast to read during a read-a-loud for a kindergarten class. The students were very engaged in the story. As the story progresses, there is a repetitious choral phrase, "Shake dem Halloween bones". All of the characters are having fun at a festive Halloween party. The children automatically start repeating the chorus during the read-a-loud. Very fun story.
Deatrice
It would have been helpful if there was a musical tune listed in which to sing this book along to. It definitely has a Louisiana type vibe. It was fun but the chorus verse sounds like a drone when sung so many times so we skipped it every once in awhile. The illustrations were really lively and interesting regardless and the characters applied were creatively placed.
Megan
This book had me and my reading buddy singing out loud in the library and even doing a little hand dance every time it said "and shake dem Halloween bones!" My reading buddy and I really enjoyed reading this book. I would definitely break this book out when I am reading it during the month of October. Children can get up and dance to this book every time that phrase is uttered. It is a clean way to talk about Halloween without getting into some of the scarier sides in which some kids my be scare ...more
Laura Salas
Interesting structure, with a prose opening (still poetic and lyrical, though) and then switching to this hip-hop rhyming song. Great read aloud! That refrain of

shake dem bones now.
shake dem bones now.
shake dem bones
at the hip-hop Halloween ball.

works so well. And each verse addresses a different fairy-tale character.

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let your hair hang down.
Come out of your tower and shake it all around.
Come on, Li'l 'Punzel, won't you dance wiht me
Tracy
Fabulous hip hop rhyming book based on nursery rhymes and fairy tales. It's one of my October favorites for kindergarten. Cute little tune stays in your head long after you've finished reading the book.
Kaethe
The rhythm is perfect and we both loved the crazy cast of characters.
Tam
Cute Halloween rhyming book filled with different nursery rhyme characters. It's written like a hip-hop song with a pumpkinhead guy singing it. It has Little Red Riding Hood, Jack (from Jack & the beanstalk), Tom Thumb, Snow White, Goldilocks with a bear, Mister Pig, Rapunzel, Rumpelstiltskin, Cinderella, & Puss & Boots. You won't recognize them though because they aren't dressed in their regular costumes. For example, Snow White has brown hair, a regular dress, and cowboy boots and ...more
Heather Mize
Such a cute, fun halloween story!
Morgan
I like this book because it is about dancing. Theres alot of funny looking characters dancing all the time. The jack lantern sang the shake dem bones song to make the characters dance. The song is like a spell that makes the characters dance. Goldilocks was there and she broke a chair with her bear. Snow white was there dancing with her little small men. Mister Pig was there and he had the worst costume of all. Cinderella was there with a white dress with pink polka dots. I really like this book ...more
Nicole Holden
This is a really fun book to read to students during halloween. This book has wonderful pictures and a fun song in the book. This book shows repetition by singing the "shake dem Halloween bones" song. I love the way this book integrates story book character like: Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White, Tom Thumb, Goldilocks, Three Little Pigs, Rapunzel, Cinderella, and Puss in Boots. Students of all ages will love to read this book.

Slayermel
Oct 15, 2009 Slayermel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with young children
This is a really fun book to read, if you turn it into a song while you read it. I find once you get into it, you can't sit still your "Shake, shake, shaking your bones" along with the characters.
I love the fact that Fairy tale characters where used in the story such as Snow white, Cinderella, puss in boots etc...
Mike Reed did a great Job illustrating the story, the pictures are fun and give you much to look at.
Brooke Birchler
This is a great book to read to children around Halloween, especially to younger children just learning how to read. There is a repetitive part of the book they the children would have fun reading. Most of this book is to be read in a singing manner, making it even more fun for children to read.
Tara
I thought this was a fun Halloween book. It's really a song about all the guests at a Halloween party. The guests are fairy tale characters rather than typical Halloween characters which I would have preferred. The song (text) is very rhythmic and easy to sing. The illustrations are nice and vivid.
Westcoast_girl
My teacher read this book to us in kindergarten. We all would shout the chorus together.

It's a great read-aloud to get your kids hyped up and excited. Soon everyone will be singing along together, loud and proud.

This book gets you into the Halloween spirit!
Samantha
It's a Halloween hip-hop dance and familiar nursery rhyme characters are in attendance. Rhythmic text introduces each dancer and encourages the reader/listener to dance along. Great read aloud with oil paint illustrations for PreK-2.
Phuong Dao
I love this book because it is so fun to read and to teach children about rhyming. It gets your body moving when you read it because you can actually hear the music playing in your head when you read it. I highly recommend this book.
Susan
A fun look a Halloween ball featuring all your favorite characters from classic tales such as Little Red Riding Hood, The Three Little Pigs, Rapunzel, Jack in the Beanstalk, Snow White, etc. Pumpkin head is the MC.
Kate Hastings
Oct 11, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades K-2 halloween fairy tale
Shelves: halloween
Colin got this book through a scholastic book order. We like to sing the book and it's now one of his favorites. Great refrain he can repeat. The story features fairy tale characters-- and this part goes over his head.
Sheila
This is a fun and different Halloween book! Kids will love to sing along! I love how the book references classic fairy tales such as Cinderella, Rumpelstiltskin, Rapunzel, Goldilocks, Snow White, and more!
Jackie
Shake Dem Halloween Bones is a story set in rhyme with many characters in literature you already know. Some very odd charicatures and illustrations set to a musical rendition of Dem Halloween Bones.
Kitty Tomlinson
I've used this book for October school visits. Children love the ryhthm if you do it in a "rap" style. Kids still stop me and say, "Hey, Ms. Kitty". "Shake dem Halloween bones." So much fun.
Tricia
This was a fun book to read to my children. The writing flowed with nice rhythm and we enjoyed the silly illustrations which made my 5 year-old laugh out loud and giggle.
Jennybug
This is one I have been reading to the kids for quite a while. It is also one that is fun to read to a group of children. Boy, I really love Halloween stories.
Natalie
I'm so not fun enough for this book. It's kind of corny, which may have to do with it being like 12 years old and about a hip-hop halloween.
John
"Shake, shake, shake dem bones now. Shake, shake, shake dem bones now. Shake, shake, shake dem bones at the hip-hop Halloween ball."
Another book we got just to add to our Halloween collection. Fun to read with the kids and get them to join in on the reading.
Penny Gallop
This is a fabulous book to share with your students. It is a modern day fairy tale with contemporary characters.
  • Spooky Hour
  • Mouse's First Halloween
  • Skeleton Hiccups
  • In the Haunted House
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Bat!
  • My Monster Mama Loves Me So
  • The Hallo-wiener
  • The Night Before Halloween
  • Big Pumpkin
  • Inside a House That is Haunted
W. Nikola-Lisa's interest in writing books for young readers began as an elementary school teacher. He is the author of numerous books, including the award-winning Bein' With You This Way (Lee & Low), Shake Dem Halloween Bones (Houghton Mifflin) and the How We Are Smart (Lee & Low), recipient of the prestigious Christopher Award. As an accomplished storyteller and musician, Mr. Nikola-Lisa ...more
More about W. Nikola Lisa...
Setting the Turkeys Free Bein' with You This Way Summer Sun Risin' How We Are Smart 1, 2, 3 Thanksgiving!