Start by marking “Signs of Life in the USA: Readings on Popular Culture for Writers” as Want to Read:
Signs of Life in the USA: Readings on Popular Culture for Writers

Signs of Life in the USA: Readings on Popular Culture for Writers

Its unique critical method of cultural analysis continues to make this the most widely adopted of all composition readers that focus on American popular culture -- now revised to respond to students' increasing need to understand and analyze visual culture.
Paperback
Published December 31st 2003 by Bedford Books (first published January 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Signs of Life in the USA, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Signs of Life in the USA

Jeffrey
Sep 08, 2008 Jeffrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
OK, I'm not into pop culture anyway. Besides, I can think of 100s of things that are more interesting than "Credit Card Babrie," "The Semiotics of Home Decor," "Reality TV meets Plastic Surgery," "So You Wanna Be A Gansgsta," "The Science of Shopping," or even "Funky White Boys and Honorary Soul Sisters." Just reading these titles make me ill.

Why is it that the popular and unimportant or even unnecessary (Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Kim Kardashian, et. al.) get way too much attention.

Jus
nanto
Buku pop culture di Amerika yang dibeli seharga 25 rebu saja. Punya saya terbitan tahun 1997. Buku ringan karena mengajarkan sambil jalan, tentang hal-hal sekeliling kita. Proses pemaknaan itu bisa mulai dari soal kapan dan dimana dan sistem budaya yang dikandung dalam benda dan kegiatan di sekeliling kita. Kita memang hidup dalam kepungan ribuan tanda yang sayang untuk dilewatkan saja. Sayang juga jika hanya hanyut dalam kebudayaan bebek (massa) tanpa jelas posisi kita.

Topik bahasannya beragam
Summer
Apr 11, 2008 Summer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like Profiles of popular culture : a reader, this is a collection of essays culled from different sources with introductory material and discussion questions at the end of each piece, but unlike the former book, the essays stand well on their own and you can pretty much ignore the supplementary material and still have a good read.

Side note: I'm getting a little burnt out on the Pop Culture thing; I think I'm going to go back on an Information Management kick for a while.
Dianah Fabry
Aug 30, 2011 Dianah Fabry is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am assigned to read selections from this book for my College Writing II class. I accidentally bought the wrong book and when I went to get the correct on at the bookstore, they were all out. I have an assignment due on our next class meeting :( I am going to research semiotics and as much as I can about pages 75-85. My teacher is suppose to send me the writing prompt on page 81.
Sara
Jan 20, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is fantastic to give to high school students. A lot of introductory essays on Semiotics that are readable and accessible. Many of my students disagreed with the interpretations in some of the essays, which were conducive to various types of dialogues that both myself and the students could engage in. I dig it when kids can read material that forces them to question their surroundings.
Michael
May 30, 2008 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: whoever
Recommended to Michael by: Deckard Hodge (my English teacher)
This book has a ton of essay type papers that are all about the culture we live in. i'm not enjoying it to much because I think some of the arguments expressed are a little far fetched. Again, this is a secular book so some of the content isn't good.
Apr 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
I had to read for a lit class. I enjoyed it much more than most required reading, which I usually loathe.
Renee
Read selections for a class--a good collection, though an article or two were not as well-organized as I would like.
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
I had to read this for my class on pop culture. The pieces were intriguing; however, I didn't always agree with the articles.
Naomi
Naomi rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2008
Andrea D Harrison
Andrea D Harrison rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2014
William Eck
William Eck rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Eka
Eka rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2015
Sugar
Sugar rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2008
unknown
unknown rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2012
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2009
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2007
Lou
Lou rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2014
Annguyen83
Annguyen83 rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2007
Lane
Lane rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Bridget
Bridget rated it liked it
May 15, 2014
Cindy Taylor
Cindy Taylor rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Deborah
Deborah rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2016
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Marshell Thomas
Marshell Thomas rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2012
  • Models for Writers: Short Essays for Composition
  • 40 Model Essays: A Portable Anthology
  • A Pocket Style Manual
  • A World of Ideas: Essential Readings for College Writers
  • Current Issues and Enduring Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking and Argument, with Readings
  • The Bedford Reader
  • Traditions & Encounters: A Global Perspective On The Past
  • Excellence in Business Communication
  • Organic Chemistry
  • The Bluebook: A Uniform System Citation
  • Discrete Mathematics with Applications
  • Fictional Worlds: Traditions in Narrative and the Age of Visual Culture, Vols 1-4 (Storytelling on Screen)
  • Patterns for College Writing: A Rhetorical Reader and Guide

“Two clichés make us laugh. A hundred cliches move us. For we sense dimly that the clichés are talking among themselves, and celebrating a reunion.

(Casablanca, or, The Clichés Are Having a Ball)”
14 likes
“Appealing to our subconscious emotions rather than our conscious intellects, advertisements are designed to exploit the discontentments fostered by the American dream, the constant desire for social success and the material rewards that accompany it.” 1 likes