Start by marking “The Other Alice: The Story of Alice Liddell and Alice in Wonderland” as Want to Read:
The Other Alice: The Story of Alice Liddell and Alice in Wonderland

The Other Alice: The Story of Alice Liddell and Alice in Wonderland

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  266 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
On July 4, 1862. Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) took his neighbor Alice Liddell on a picnic & told her a story that later became a book called Alices Adventures in Wonderland. Dodgson taught mathematics at Oxford Univ. in England. This book lets readers imagine what it must have been like to be a child in Victorian England & to know a man as unusual as Mr. Dodgson ...more
Published October 1st 1993 by R & S Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Alice

Splintered by A.G. HowardThe Looking Glass Wars by Frank BeddorAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollSeeing Redd by Frank BeddorThrough the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll
Curiouser and Curiouser
19th out of 135 books — 206 voters
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Looking Glass Wars by Frank BeddorSplintered by A.G. HowardHatter by Daniel  ColemanSeeing Redd by Frank Beddor
Wonderland
28th out of 98 books — 132 voters

More lists with this book...

Booksingarden
An excellent exposition of the relationship between Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) and Alice Liddell (the girl for whom his books were written). This is written for children and contains fictionalized conversations between Dodgson and Alice, that allow the story of the two of them and the books to be clearly understood. I have rarely read a book that covers their lives so completely and sweetly. 4.5 stars.
Sarah Crawford
Feb 14, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing
This is a book which is for early teens or so about Alice, Charles Dodgson, and Alice in Wonderland. As I have found so many times, this book, supposedly for younger viewers, is actually a very excellent book and definitely worth reading by anyone.

The thing that grabbed me at first is the incredible quality of the drawings, and the number of photos in the book, some of which I have not seen elsewhere. Many of the drawings are amazingly well done. In addition to this, of course, there is the inf
Kristen
Apr 01, 2015 Kristen rated it liked it
Although the story was kind of scattered the illustrations were beautiful and I very much liked the examples of the games Lewis Carroll made up for his young friends. The sample photographs and whimsical letters were a treat for this Lewis Carroll fan too.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Bjork wrote this as a mixture of fact and fiction, which could be confusing at times. However, by the time I was done reading the book, I felt I really knew both Lewis Carroll (Mr. Dodgson) and Alice Liddell and her sisters. The fictional chapters contained dialogue that sounded as if it were written by Lewis Carroll himself. It certainly made me want to read more about Charles Lutwidge Dodgson!
Lise
Feb 08, 2016 Lise rated it really liked it
A great book for children about the friendship between Lewis Carroll and the "real" Alice (Liddell).
Thomas Propest
With all the books out there about the life of Carroll and ALice Liddell, this one is great for children. Even thought it's a children book, though, it's filled with lots of interesting facts and history- along with games and puzzles that you can play, written all those years ago by Carroll himself.
Marmot
Jan 24, 2015 Marmot rated it really liked it
Makes me want to read Alice in wonderland again! I like the way this author writes.
Charlotte Stevenson
Aug 01, 2013 Charlotte Stevenson rated it really liked it
Remarkably witty and full of delightful facts that show how the story came to life. A true mechanic of time travel through literary and whimsical fancy. the recounting of a genius and the life of those we have never met, made in to our own memories.
Nancy
Jun 03, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Learned so much. Now I have to read The Annotated Alice and get the other view of Lewis Carroll. This book shows him as a fun guy to hang out with. But I've heard he maybe shouldn't have been around children.
Gheeta
Apr 10, 2011 Gheeta rated it liked it
An interesting and relatively quick read. With all the Alice and Wonderland stuff that's been coming out in the past year or so, this is an interesting background story on the inspiration behind the Alice stories.
L.R. Green
This was a very fun read and even though it is written for little children, fans of Alice in Wonderland and Lewis Carroll should read it. The illustrations are magnificent as well!
Melissa
May 03, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful book. The author/illustrator team tell the reader (intended for children) exactly what their intent was and came through with flying colors.
Susan
Jun 10, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-juv
Very enjoyable for Alice fans, a great deal of true information woven among the stories as well as a lot of photographs and drawings of interest.
Allison Riendeau
Jul 23, 2013 Allison Riendeau rated it it was ok
I liked this well enough, though it had an edge of creepy. Not sure why. Could also have been better executed, but the content mostly satisfied me.
Megan
Apr 02, 2009 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Although written for kids, this mini-bio gives lots of great trivia and photos of Lewis Carroll and Alice Liddell
Melissa
Jan 16, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mmm-2013
Such a good book written for children but fun for Wonderlanders too! Beautiful illustrations!
Febriana Sari Lubis
it is a nice story and very adventure story !! ;;)
Fawn
Jun 07, 2007 Fawn rated it it was amazing
the illustrations in this are really nice.
Sarah Sammis
Jul 02, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Interesting but a little off putting.
Martin Molin
Martin Molin marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Whitney 'Thompson' Jenkins
Whitney 'Thompson' Jenkins rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Niki Mclaren
Niki Mclaren marked it as to-read
Tasha-Lynn
Tasha-Lynn marked it as to-read
Katrine
Katrine rated it it was amazing
Aracely
Aracely marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Patti Russo
Patti Russo marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Leonardo Milizia
Leonardo Milizia marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Melanie Afshar
Melanie Afshar marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Duncan
Duncan rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
  • The Mystery of Lewis Carroll: Discovering the Whimsical, Thoughtful, and Sometimes Lonely Man Who Created "Alice in Wonderland"
  • All Things Alice: The Wit, Wisdom,and Wonderland of Lewis Carroll
  • In the Shadow of the Dreamchild: The Myth and Reality of Lewis Carroll
  • Fantastic Alice
  • Inventing Wonderland: the Lives and Fantasies of Lewis Carroll, Edward Lear, J.M. Barrie, Kenneth Grahame and A.A. Milne
  • Princess Alyss of Wonderland
  • Gears of Wonderland
  • Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy: Curiouser And Curiouser
  • Making Tracks: The Rise of Blondie
  • Into the Woods, Adapted and Illustrated by Hudson Talbott
"I was born in 1938 in Stockholm, Sweden, and I have been living there ever since. I love this city, built on some small islands between lake Mälaren and the sea. It’s a city with lots of water and trees and a lot of nature all around it.
I lived and went to school at the island Kungsholmen, just like my good friend and illustrator Lena Anderson. But our school was so big that we never met. I was t
More about Christina Björk...