Just So Stories
read book* *Different edition

Just So Stories

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  27,343 ratings  ·  689 reviews
, 249 pages, stamped black and white illustrations the covers and, black and white illustrations both full page and within the text
Published December 1st 1988 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about Just So Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just So Stories

Manny
How The Kipling Got His Reputation

Once upon a time, Best Beloved, when the world was middle-aged and good Queen Victoria sat on the throne, there was a Kipling. And even though he constantly had to carry around a White Man's Burden (an object, by the way, which he had invented himself, and very proud he was of it too), he was as happy as the day is long. And he would often stop for a moment, and sing a little song he'd written, which began
Mamma Pajama rolled out of bed and ran to the po-lice sta
Brad
What an infuriating book. I don't know what infuriates me more: that Kipling was a racist imperialist colonizer who believed firmly in white superiority and conveyed that in every word of these stories; or that Kipling is such a marvelous writer of the English language.

Kipling the colonizer, imperialist, racist, supremicist, had no trouble at all mugging the oral traditions of the peoples his people colonized to tell his "Just So Stories" to his Best Beloved. No trouble at all mimicking their vo...more
Jean
Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories, originally published in 1902, are perennial favourites, and can be read by adults and children alike. They are known as "pourquoi" stories; in this case fantasies about the origin of individual wild animals who live in different countries. The seed of the idea lies in the story "How Fear Came," within Rudyard Kipling's "Second Jungle Book" of 1895, when Mowgli hears the story of how the tiger got his stripes. It is possible this gave the author the idea for a w...more
Amanda
Loved all the stories, but my personal favorite was about Elephant's Child. Sometimes 'satiable curiosity doesn't kill you; it gets you a very practical appendage with which you can spank your bossy Relatives and hove them into a wasp's nest. And let's face it, O Best Beloved, we've all had that impulse.
Tom
The book that made me fall in love with storytelling. I still have my mother's hardbound edition, with marvelous color plates, published in the 20s. Kipling may have been a romantic apologist for the British Empire, but the man knew how to weave a spell in children's stories, and he can be quite playful and inventive with language. Just read the first line of any number of stories and you'll immediately understand his timeless appeal. My favorites are from The Cat that Walked by Himself -- "Here...more
Jamie
These are such fun to read out loud, and I particularly like the descriptions of the illustrations.

My favorites are:

"How the Whale Got His Throat", featuring the small 'Stute Fish and the mariner of infinite-resource-and-sagacity wearing his suspenders (which you must not forget, Best Beloved).

"The Elephant's Child", who was full of 'satiable curiosity and who escapes from the croccodile with the aid of the Bi-Coloured Python Rock Snake on the banks of the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River.
NeDa
Взех книгата от библиотеката, защото ми беше интересен новия превод на Галина Златина ( която в книгата е посочена като Злантина).
Предговора на Андрей Захариев към книгата, "разработена специално за младите читатели" и част от поредица, където "по-старите текстове са изчистени от най-неразбираемите думи и изрази" започва така:
""Проповедник и пропагандатор на британския империализъм" - това за думи на Джордж Оруел, великият британски писател, журналист и есеист. Как мислите, към кого е отнесено т...more
Jonathan Roberts
Just so stories
Written and Illustrated by Rudyard Kipling
The ‘Just So Stories’ are a collection of eccentric myths that Kipling created to tell to his children. There are twelve in total: most of which are fanciful revelations of how certain animals came to possess their distinguishing features. The characters are humorous and archetypal and most of the tales offer some affectionate caution and insight into the consequences of indulging those sinful traits such as sloth, greed and envy.
The origi...more
e.c.h.a
satu kata... KEREEEEEENNNNNNNNNN BANGETTTTTTTTTTT!!! eh itu jadinya dua kata ya hahahaha

Setuju banget dah kalau cerita-cerita dalam buku ini bukan Sekadar Cerita. Pokoknya nggak nyesel baca buku ini. Nggak peduli masih anak-anak, remaja, dewasa bahkan kakek-nenek, kisah-kisah fabel yang didongengkan Kipling bener-bener memikat hati. Saya saja senang membacanya, apalagi kalau anak-anak didongengkan dengan cerita-cerita ini, pasti nagih :)

Suka dengan ilustrasinya juga, ilustratornya sukses mengint...more
Tony
JUST SO STORIES. (1902). Rudyard Kipling. **.
This particular edition was published simultaneously in 1991 by The Folio Society and The British Library, and incorporates the original illustrations done by Kipling for his original edition. The stories are told as to a young child (“O My Best Beloved”), which puts me in mind of the Golem from Lord of the Rings and his “My Precious.” I wonder if there is any relationship there? The stories are truly absurd, and in today’s world would hardly qualify...more
Tweedledum
How the elephant got his trunk was one of my favourite bedtime stories as a child and I was fortunate in having a parent who never tired of reading it. "The great grey greasy Limpopo river all set about with fever trees " created one of my earliest images of Afica and filled me with longing to visit.
Kipling was a master storyteller who knew exactly how to capture a child's imagination. As the elephant makes his leisurely way in search of the crocodile, leaving his grumpy and incurious relatives...more
Keely
Beautiful and wonderful. Works of genius by a man who freed himself enough that he could give himself up to that genius instead of trying to make sure that it came out perfectly. As pleasing as his other works are, none I've read can match the joy, humor, simplicity, and odd truth of these.

Like children's literature should be, these stories never lose their humor or punch. Despite some redundancy with actual myths and some cases of artificially lowering complexity for children and hence growing...more
Graciela  Mora
Debo decir que los cuentos han sido desde siempre mi debilidad especialmente esos que por estar llenos de fantasía y creatividad quedan en tu memoria para contar y contar, este libró es para el gusto de chicos y grandes para leer sólo o acompañado por que es blanco y gracioso, es divertida la manera en como el explica el por que de cada cosa y tu imaginación vuela.
Kelly
I cannot speak highly enough about these stories. I have been reading them to my kids since they were 3 years old and they never get tired of them. The language is rich and beautiful and a blast to read out loud. This book is an absolute must for your personal library.
Abduraafi Andrian
Baca ini cuma beberapa jam. Benar-benar hanya sekadar cerita. Seperti cerita yang menggambarkan bagaimana terbentuknya punuk unta, belalai gajah, dan lompatan kanguru. Jelaslah ini hanya cerita, tapi logikanya masuk di akal. Sesekali aku sempat berpikir: "Oh, iya ya. Benar juga." atau "Oh. Bisa juga mereka terbentuk dengan cara seperti itu."

Yang aku kagumi adalah cerita tentang terbentuknya kepulauan yang sekarang adalah Indonesia. Ternyata kepulauan itu -Sumatera, Kalimantan, Sulawesi, Jawa- te...more
Alexander
For me, Just So Stories was extremely boring. i do appreciate the creativity and the originality of each story though. the main reason that i did not enjoy the book was because the stories were told in a very uninteresting way. the language used was very dull and it did not help in grabbing my attention.

as you can tell by the title, this book talks about why animals do certain things that they do or why they look a certain way. i thought it would be interesting to read about how a leopard got i...more
Prashant
I bought this book some time back and grabbed the chance to read it when I had to hop on a flight to Mumbai yesterday. Bought this book for two reasons first one being that I have heard a lot about Kipling and from a lot of different people but never came around to read any of his works. Second, the names of the short stories being very intriguing to say the least. With the name of the stories like 'how the camel got his hump', 'how the first alphabet was written', 'the cat that walked by himsel...more
Teguh Affandi
Dongeng yang kereeen. Meski masa kecil sering didongengi wayang dan hantu-hantu lokal, dongeng karya Rudyard Kipling tetaplah manis. Terlebih diterjemahkan oleh penerjemah favoritku Maggie Tiojakin dan Staven Andersen sebagai sang ilustrator pemanis sekaligus membuat hidup buku (Mereka sudah bekerja sama dalam beberapa proyek, Fiksi Lotus, Kisah-kisah Tengah Malam-nya Edgar Allan Poe dan menurutku sukses maksimal).

Namanya juga dongeng, kisahnya full imajinasi dan selalu menambah kahsanah kebija...more
melmarian
Enjoyed it from the beginning to end. And I can't stop laughing and be amazed of Kipling's power of imagination.

*Update 16 Juli 2012*

Is there any book that makes you want to repeat childhood? After reading this book, I wish I could go back being a child and listen to my dad or mom reading aloud this book while I’m tucked in bed, getting ready to sleep. I just love these twelve hilarious pourquoi stories Rudyard Kipling wrote, along with the poems at the end of every short story.

In the Indonesian...more
Trayana
Напоследък се убеждавам, че посягайки към приключенските романи веднага след като се научих да чета, съм пропуснала да се запозная с някои големи детски книги. Творчеството на Ръдиърд Киплинг също ми бе непознато, докато съпругът ми не се възмути, че не знам каква е реката Лимпопо и не ми връчи “Приказки” (в оригинал – Just So Stories), за да се образовам.

Приказките на Киплинг са едно истинско, неподправено удоволствие за малки и големи. Великият британец е взел няколко мита от различни култури,...more
MizziQ
Hmmmm...a hard book to rate. I didn't give this two stars because I DISLIKED it, but I certainly didn't love it. It was a bit of a chore. But I can also tell this is a very skilled writer. Some of the things in the book were just downright confusing. At some points I didn't even know if the author knew what he was talking about, but it was good. It entertained and eased your head up into dreamy clouds. More like a bedtime story. :) I don't think I'll read it again though. It was a once time thin...more
Ycel
Kipling’s English in Just So Stories is a bit arcane, but I love the cadence of the language and the sound of the words when read aloud. I haven’t read these to my kids, but I have no doubt that they will love the stories just as I did.

My favorite stories are that of the 'stute Fish and the one ship-wrecked Mariner, with nothing on but a pair of blue canvas breeches, a pair of suspenders (you must not forget the suspenders, Best Beloved), and a jack-knife, who is a man of infinite-resource-and-s...more
Mac
I "read" this on audiobook, having downloaded it with the goal of becoming more familiar with Kipling's works. It was not really what I was expecting or looking for. This is a collection of children's stories, told in a stylized manner evoking perhaps a nanny or amah telling her "best beloved" how various natural phenomena came to be. Some of the stories are amusing, but they are imbued with what now seems an embarrassing condescension toward African and Asian folk cultures.
Skylar Burris
I’m not sure if this is the right edition and may have to alter it, but I listened to this collection with my kids on our school commute, and we all loved it. The narrator does an excellent job of telling the tales and doing the voices, and the stories really captured and held the attention of my children. They didn’t appreciate the humour, but I found myself laughing frequently. I never read these as a child and am glad to have the chance to truly enjoy them as an adult. Listening to it felt li...more
Rikke
The simple and childish naivety of these stories is truly endearing. I love how Kipling uses his fanciful imagination to explain the origin of the well-known animals, and I think every child will be loving it as well.
My favorite story was "The Cat that Walked by Himself", which illustrates the cunning nature and solitary confinement of every cat who has ever walked upon the earth.

The subtle elegance and whimsical feeling of Kipling's India will forever fascinate me, as it combines magic, hopefu...more
Camilla Galliers
This book requires your inner child.

It is not designed to be 'read' it is designed to be acted and, as a consequence, should be treated like a script. To get everything out of it, you must be trying to tell the stories yourself as if you were trying to hold the attention of particularly curious and rambunctious children.

As quoted in the the preface:*

"The 'Just So Stories' are a poor thing in print compared with the fun of hearing them told in cousin Ruddy's deep unhesitating voice. There was a...more
Diane Lynn
Wonderful short stories about animals. Perfect to read aloud to children of all ages. I particularly liked how the elephant got its trunk (The Elephant's Child), how the armadillo came to be (The Beginning of the Armadilloes) and how the cat was domesticated (The Cat that Walked by Himself). Kipling writes these short stories with a very lyrical quality that makes them so much fun.
Anne
My parents read these stories to me when I was young and re-reading them brought it all back.The Elephants Child has been in my head all these years and is still my favorite. I read this book in one afternoon.I can't wait to read more Rudyard Kipling. Thanks Dad for reminding me!
Ellinor
A book with 13 little stories of how the leopard got his spots, how the elephant got his trunk, how the camel got his hump etc. At the beginning those are really funny but after some time things just repeat themselves and it gets a little annoying.
Mel Vincent
Rudyard Kipling really knows how to create stories that are based on nature. His creativity, style and wit seems to match every story that he makes and captures the innocence, history, culture, humor and significance of that story.
:-) 19 61 Jul 23, 2014 08:08AM
  • When We Were Very Young
  • The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • Paddle-to-the-Sea
  • Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children
  • The King of the Golden River
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • Swallowdale (Swallows and Amazons, #2)
  • A Child's Garden of Verses
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • The Aesop for Children
  • The Red Fairy Book
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • Star of Light
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1907 "in consideration of the power of observation, originality of imagination, virility of ideas and remarkable talent for narration which characterize the creations of this world-famous author."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_...
More about Rudyard Kipling...
The Jungle Books The Jungle Book Kim Captains Courageous Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

“Of course the Man was wild too. He was dreadfully wild. He didn't even begin to be tame till he met the Woman, and she told him that she did not like living in his wild ways. She picked out a nice dry Cave, instead of a heap of wet leaves, to lie down in; and she strewed clean sand on the floor; and she lit a nice fire of wood at the back of the Cave; and she hung a dried wild-horse skin, tail down, across the opening of the Cave; and she said, 'Wipe your feet, dear, when you come in, and now we'll keep house.” 19 likes
“Hear and attend and listen; for this befell and behappened and became and was: O my Best Beloved, when the tame animals were wild.” 11 likes