Start by marking “Apaches: A Novel of Suspense” as Want to Read:
Apaches: A Novel of Suspense

Apaches: A Novel of Suspense

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  647 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Boomer. Dead-Eye. Pins. Geronimo. Reverend Jim. Mrs. Columbo. Legends of the NYPD, they were great cops. The best cops. But they are cops no more. Now they are apaches, a renegade unit working on their own.--reunited to bring down the most vicious criminal working New York City today. . . .
Published June 28th 1998 by Ballantine Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Apaches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apaches

Tim
One of the most unintentionally hilarious books I have ever read. Just terrible. From the premise to the idiotic nicknames of the characters, the incredibly low quality of this book calls into question whether Mr. Carcaterra could have actually written a book like Sleepers.
Mike
Nov 09, 2007 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who like police drama
I really liked this group of injured, disabled, compromised, wild ex-cops. They go after the bad guys and no Miranda rights when they get there! Lots of action. Can't wait for a sequel.
Dale Barlow
Carcaterra, Lorenzo: APACHES: excellent story, full of thrilling events but a tad bit (well, more than a tad bit) gruesome for me (pre-teen girl abducted, raped/fingers severed, etc.); even the “can’t put down” ending was gruesome (and probably not realistic), but hey it’s a story.; Heard ab. this prolific author because of a Recommended Summer Reading new book of his…, not too sure I want to read more if they are this gruesome: time will tell…; 1997 hardback via Madison Co. Public Library, Bere ...more
Barbra
Great read. Had a bit of trouble keeping all of the characters straight but it was a gripping read.

Back Cover Blurb:
It is the early 1980's. Crack cocaine had made its devastating appearance. Violence is escalating and so is an unnerving lack of morality. Things are happening that have never happened before.
One of those things is the brutal kidnapping of an innocent twelve year old girl. But the kidnapper has made a deadly mistake. He has brought Boomer Frontieri back to life, back to the streets
Ellen
Yikes! Carcaterra can really write well. Now, this story has many gruesome scenes which usually make me put a book down. But the writing is so good, I gave it a little more of a read and then I was just into it; had to see it unfold. It got more gruesome (fair warning) but still...such excellent writing, I couldn't stop.

If you want to read a great story with believable characters and a plot that makes you retch but the good guys work so hard at fixing the terrible wrong; stuff explodes, there ar
Jaye
Jun 16, 2007 Jaye rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone over 16
For all of those missing children and women, that are never found.
This was one of those books I was dying to read but wasn't allowed to. When I did turn 16 I understood why my family made me wait. Apaches is one of the most horrific stories of greed. Not for the faint of heart, or those with weak stomachs, but worth trudging through. Lorenzo's characters are human, with their own faults, but each with their own tragic history and still willing to fight for this country's safety.
For anyone who
Anita
I was really excited to start the book, the prologue was intriguing, and I enjoyed the chapters introducing the characters but then it kind of went downhill from there, to where I'd about lost interest by the end of the book.
Tom Gase
Pretty good crime thriller from Carcaterra, who I believe is one of the best character writers alive. I've read four of his books now, and all of them have been good. I loved the first half of this book, but thought the last 60 pages weren't quite as good, as they seemed a little rushed. The book reminds me of the movie "Losers" only this book is actually good and has dialogue better than a fifth graders. They should have made this book a movie instead. Can't wait to read the sequel, Chasers. I ...more
Tisho Jessop
Fairly predictable cop novel, but good for a beach read. Has a few scenes that are pretty graphic (violence) so not a great choice for the faint of heart.
Hugo Dubon
This book is reminds me of Tango and Cash with a little Conair mixed in. In other words if you like cheesy 90's action movies you'll love this.
Jesse
This is a fun action story. Crippled NYC top-cops can't let go of the old life, and stumble onto a drug empire in the beginnings of the crack cocaine trade. Its loaded with fun and exciting cop stereotypes that are just deep enough to let you ignore the cookie cutter shape of them, and a bad guy that is so cruel its almost laughable. I like this book for its sheer amazing action, and who doesn't like a good tale of super-cops you know.
Gerry Grim
Just read for the second time. Still very enjoyable with a wonderful cast of character to start to really like and others to hate.
Diana Borman
i was a little torn with this book, i liked Carcaterra's writing style but felt like he spent too much time on giving the background of each character. each chapter was dedicated to one character, which ended up being at least 1/3 of the book. was enjoyable but normally not my kind of read.
Marylu Colton
Carcaterra's writes in a form that is not seen much in today's books, at least in my opinion. There is incredible suspense, amazing detail, and it keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very last page.
Kelly
I loved his book Sleepers. This one is good as well. The plot is predictable/ one that has been used many times. What makes the book readable and interesting are the 6 "retired" cops.
Stephanie
May 28, 2008 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: action fans
Although I LOVE this story, this is a very intense book. Not for the faint of heart. I had to space out chapter readings in days so that I could prepare myself for whatever lay ahead.
Margad Esme
May 18, 2013 Margad Esme marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
хайрцаган дотроос олсон тэр ном хэхэ... анх уншаад л аааа энэ юуны тухайн бол гээд л ядахад англи хэлээр уншсан анхны минь ном бсан.. одоо ахиж унших бодол бгаа хэхэ
Carl
What an awful book. The Expendibles on paper. Cliche after cliche. It rare that you want all the main characters to die and wouldn't mind popping off yourself!!!!
Marie
This is another of my favorite authors. I love the way he writes, and he keeps you interested throughout the book. This was a really great book.
Joe O'c
Outstanding; group of ex-cops all wounded in the line of duty band together to fight a drug ring that kills indiscriminately.
WK
This has got some of the most interesting set of odd-ball characters I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.
Carolyn
another awesome book from lorenzo carcaterra...constant action through out the whole book...
Gee Wakaba
it was amazing :) very captivating, was glued to the book from the 1st page to the very last.
Yousef
one of my best. author and novel, i always give this when friends ask me for a novel to read.
Gary Fong
one of the first detective novels I read. excellent characters and very good story flow.
Karen Nickerson
Very engrossing read but not for the faint of heart, has a lot of disturbing content
Eric Clark
I loved this book. Definately one of my new all time favorites.
A great story - I like the style of Lorenzo Carcaterra.
Anni
a tough read, but i couldn't put it down.
  • Daddy
  • Lords of Corruption
  • Brandenburg
  • Romance (87th Precinct, #47)
  • Exceptional Clearance
  • A Dismal Thing to Do
  • North of Havana
  • The Ex
  • Double Jeopardy
  • An Imperfect Spy (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11)
  • Disclosure / Rising Sun
  • The Coil
  • The Captive
Number-one New York Times bestselling author Lorenzo Carcaterra's highly successful career spans more than 25 years of writing for the diverse fields of fiction, non-fiction, television, and film.

Born and raised in New York's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood, Carcaterra landed his first job in the newspaper business as a copy boy for The New York Daily News in 1976. He worked his way up to entertainmen
More about Lorenzo Carcaterra...
Sleepers Gangster Street Boys A Safe Place: The True Story of a Father, a Son, a Murder The Wolf