How to Save Your Tail*:

How to Save Your Tail*:

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  39 reviews
How does a cookie-baking Rat named Bob save his tail from being gobbled by two hungry cats? By serving them cookies and telling them fantastic fairy tales about his family, of course. There's the story about great-grand uncle Mustard who upgrades his family to a lovely three-bedroom brick house. (All's well until some wolves with snout-warts show up.) And there's the one a...more
Published April 10th 2007 by Schwartz & Wade Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Save Your Tail*, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Save Your Tail*

Erica
Book talk: Meet Bob. Bob loves reading and baking. Bob is also a rat, and he is about to become dinner. When Bob is surprised by two cats it's his cookies that distract them at first, but what really saves his tail are his tales. It all starts with his great-great grandfather Sherman who climbed a beanstalk and saved a magic goose from a giant. Bob is a good story teller and as each story ends he leaves a tantalizing hook for the next and the cats decide to put off killing him for just a little...more
george
Bob is a charming, smart, handsome, book-loving rat who is about to be eaten by two large and hungry cats. In order to (literally) save his tail, Bob starts telling stories about his ancestors. All of the stories are variations of famous fairy tales--but with a rat in the starring role, of course. Bob has to keep telling stories to entertain the cats, otherwise he'll be a pre-bedtime snack!

So cute, funny and entertaining. Very original and well-written. The fairy tales are changed to make them m...more
Jennifer Sharkey
I read this to my children at bedtime over the course of a few days. They enjoyed it, although this was somewhat of a suprise to me - I thought they were just spacing out and not paying attention while I was reading it.

And even though I was the one reading it, by the time the next night came I had already forgotten who was who and where we were in the story. I thought it was kind of boring.

The story is about a rat who is caught by two cats. In order to avoid getting eaten by the cats, the rat te...more
Catherine
Dec 02, 2013 Catherine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fairy Tale Fiends
Recommended to Catherine by: Judy Freeman
Looking for a fun quick read? Well, here you go!
How to Save Your Tail is a cute collection of quirky retellings of classic fairy tales. All the stories are told from the view point of a rat named Bob. Bob is not your typical rat as he loves reading and baking. When he is caught by two hungry cats, he must use his baking ability and the stories from members of his family tree to try and save his tail.
Interestingly, the tales from his family are all strangely similar to fairy tales with which yo...more
Gphatty
Great synthesis of traditional fairy tales. Not truly fractured fairy tales, this variation of 1001 Nights has a rat spinning family yarns to save his bacon from two story-loving cats. Elements from dozens of fairy tales appear throughout the book; the writing is clever and funny; and although this could seem to be another post-modern, spot-the-references tale, the writing holds up on its own. I actually think the author did a very good job avoiding the trap of continuously referencing other wor...more
Jean
There aren't too many fun books for transitional readers (like third graders) but this is one that could be shared with second and third graders in the classroom or at home. Bob the rat is captured by the castle cats. He beguiles them with his cookies and with the stories of his family. The stories are familiar fairy tales, but they all have a twist (Rumplestilskin is a troll who lives under a bridge). Lots of fun, short and filled with illustrations. Perfect for new chapter book readers.
Sharan Thind
These stories are great!
Sarah W
May 26, 2008 Sarah W rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: elementary school students
A rat, tells stories of his family to postpone Brutus and Muffin's attempt to eat him. Bob's situation as storyteller is reminiscent of Shahrazad. The stories that Bob tells will be familiar to children, though his rat family's versions have twists and combinations not often seen elsewhere.

This book was a fast read for me - taking 30 minutes to read the 90 pages. It'd be a great read aloud for younger children.
Beth
I read this with my daughter and it was really cute! Bob, the rat, tells stories about his relatives so that two cats won't eat him. The stories are versions of fairy tales but kind of mixed up. Bob's last story is about himself (and Cindy) and it is really funny! This is a good book for a younger reader since the chapters are not super long and there are pictures scattered through out the book.
Kristi
I enjoyed this book, but only mildly. It's cute enough, with the main character a rat named Bob who bakes excellent cookies escaping, Shahrazad style, two cats who have caught him and are going to eat him. He retells fairy tales from his rat family history point of view. It can be amusing, but ends up overall feeling like it falls flat and doesn't really bring a great new thing to old stories.
Julia
It's Arabian Nights, but with a positive rat protaganist who's an excellent baker and well versed in fairy tales! what's not to love? (I particularly liked that in this universe, cats will set aside rats for eating if a good cookie is available.) Afterwards I really wanted a fresh out of the oven rat-baked warm melty chocolate chip cookie and a vermin-told story.
Shelby
iam 9.i read it in libraey and it was awesome.it is a really good book for children to read .it has fairy tailes tht kids love.except it has been made into even funnier tales.any age would love it. my mom would love it. if you havent read it, you should start reading it right now.
uuuu
Bill Prosser
Great fun for younger readers. Actually, all kids would enjoy this to figure out which familiar fairy tales are being parodied by story teller, Bob the Rat. The end papers are fun too, the front being Bob's rat and frog family tree, and the back a map of where he lives. Quick and funny.
Miss Clark
Corinna
Feb 21, 2011 Corinna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Corinna by: Maud Hart Lovelace Nominee
A very cute mixed-up fairy tales collection. I believe this is especially great as a read aloud. The book is structured as stories that a desperate rat tells to distract to two cats from eating him for dinner. The illustrations are fun and appropriate to the story.
Wanda
This is an Arabian Nights story where a rat named Bob survives by telling two threatening cats a series of tales to save his tail. These tales are rat family stories that students will recognize as fractured fairy tales. Individual chapters might make a good read aloud. Clever!
Sq.Hill Library
With the popularity of Disney's Rattatouille, lovable rats should be all the rage. The author cleverly combines familiar fariy tales like 1001 Arabian Nights, with Jack and the Beanstalk, and The Three Little Pigs - all with a twist, of course - to create a fun tale.
Autumn Thetford
Great book for text to text connections!!!! Charlie May Simon list and it's laugh out loud funny, fantasy book filled with fairy tales. All 4th graders have heard it, and Mrs. Starnes too! What did ya'll think of it?
Lisa
Cute and reminiscent of Arabian Nights. In this case, a rat saves his tail and other parts by telling two cats stories of his and his family's lives in a castle. I think there are seven fairy tales alluded to. Grades 2-5.
Tracie
Aug 07, 2007 Tracie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2-5th gr.
A clever rat saves himself from being eaten by two cats with his entertaining tales and yummy cookies. Clever in places with some great descriptive vocabulary, but all-in-all probably not one I'll remember for long.
Boni
I really wanted to love this book- the title, the premise... I expected a delicious read. It just didn't grab me though. I felt too yanked back-and-forth by the premise- so much so, that it was hard to get into.
Claire
Dec 25, 2008 Claire rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8 and up
This is a play or Scheherezade. A Rat is captured by cats who want to hear the rest of the story before eating the rat who spins fractured fairy tails on and on until ... well, that would be telling.
Timnah
This is a witty blending and renovation of several different fairy tales into one hero's quest with multiple cliffhangers that is a delight to read alone or aloud. A definite must for rodent fans.
Robin
It's Schehezerade as rat named Bob. Children who know their folk and fairy tales will enjoy seeing them mingled together in this light and easy book. Might make a good read-aloud.
Simone
Read this with Zach. It's whimsical and fun, with lots of little innuendos and references to other fairy tales and literary works. Even the little ones can catch on!
Whitney
Jul 04, 2008 Whitney rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any age
Recommended to Whitney by: My Librarian
This book is a fun fairytale with a twist. If you like reading about books, cookies, and carnivorous cats, then you will love "How to Save Your Tail".
Donalyn
When Bob, the rat, is captured by two cats, he tells stories about his family in order to postpone becoming a snack.
Shantrice
I would recommend this book as a fun quick-read. Bits and pieces of different fairy tales are blended well together.
Heather
Fun and quick--super duper light fare for reading aloud for 5 minutes every night. Kids really laughed at this one.
Debbie
This was a clever revisit of classic fairy tales. A fun chapter book version of the new twisted tale.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
How to Save Your Tail How to Save Your Tail*: *if you are a rat nabbed by cats who really like stories about magic spoons, wol ves with snout-warts, big, hairy chimney trolls . . . and cookies, too. The Interviewer's Book: Hiring the Right Person How to Save Your Tail*: *If You Are a Rat Nabbed by Cats Who Really Like Stories about Magic Spoons, Wol Ves with Snout-Warts, Big, Hairy Chimney Trolls . . . and Cookies, Too. Country Woman Christmas 2005