Music In The Hills (Dering Family, #2)

Music In The Hills (Dering Family #2)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In this sequel to Vittoria Cottage, it has been five years since James had been at Mureth House, and he has traveled throughout the world. Now that he has left the army, he is ready to settle down to farming but still yearns for golden-haired Rhoda Ware, who had turned away from him. Not until a certain wise lady gave fate a nudge, did James even hope he could have both Rh...more
Published January 1st 1972 by Henry Holt & Co. (first published 1950)

Alisha
Jul 05, 2012 Alisha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
D.E. Stevenson is such a good writer.
Unfortunately I guess I can understand why she's not more popular today--her style doesn't necessarily have a lot of zip. But sometimes you don't want zip. I like what one review (quoted on the back of this book) said: "She creates a small world of tempests and ripples in a teacup."

So, this book is a bit different from the Miss Buncle books, or from Bel Lamington (although there are some crossover characters with Bel Lamington). This one is set in Scotland. S...more
Kate
"Here's a refreshing, appealing story of love with a beautiful rural setting and with the charm and poignance of a lilting, haunting melody. It's the story of the love Mamie and Jock Johnstone have for each other, the deep, trusting love of a happily married couple, and of the love they feel for their farm and their chosen way of live. But it's the story, too, of the more troubled hearts of the younger generation.

"James Dering, the Johnstones' nephew, has come to live with them and learn farming...more
Carolyn
James Dering arrives in Drumburly to learn farming at his uncle's Scottish farm, after being released from the army. He tries to leave behind some unsettling memories. His mother has remarried (Vittoria Cottage), his one love will not marry him and he feels like an orphan.

His gentle aunt and her loving husband, Jock Johnstone, help James adjust to the life of a lonely sheep farmer. James attempts to solve a sheep rustling mystery.

Another favorite story. I love the sequel 'Shoulder the Sky' as w...more
Susan
James Dering (whose family you may have met in Stevenson's "Vittoria Cottage") goes to stay with his Aunt Mamie and Uncle Jock, not knowing that the childless couple plan to will him their estate if he turns out to enjoy the farming life. James takes to farming, though he's also rather taken by some of the feminine company in the area--but not enough to forget the rejection of his marriage proposal by Rhoda Ware. His chaste relationship with a lonely, neglected teen-ager may seem a bit more cree...more
Sally
A pleasant story about life in a farming community in Scotland. I stopped in the middle for a while, but did finish it. Not great, but very nice.
Kay
A general review of D.E. Stevenson. Like Miss Read, a lot of D. E. Stevenson's books are out of print. I have also tried to collect these but they are harder to come by. I especially love the Mrs. Tim series which you can no longer find. Anything about living in England during WWII is a favorite with me.
Julie
If you like D. E. Stevenson's books, then you will like this one. It takes place on a farm in Scotland. You will get caught up in her descriptions of the Scottish countryside and her characters. I suppose these days you would call this a 'cozy' read.
Jean Labrador
A wonderful book that follows up Vittoria's Cottage. D.E. Stevenson is one of my favorite author's, and she never has never written a book that was not wonderful in my opinion.
Katie
I loved this book, I believe it is out of print but I found it at the local library. it is a easy read. Set in Europe during World War I.
Alice
A solid story, an even better sequel to Vittoria Cottage. The quirky characters in the Scottish village are part of the charm.
Debbie
Ms. Stevenson changed it up a little bit by adding a mystery element to this delightful story.
Kathy
Glad I've kept some of these oldies. Haven't read them in years.
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jun 19, 2014
Katie Miesbauer
Katie Miesbauer marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Dawn-gale
Dawn-gale marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Mary
Mary added it
Jun 12, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Diane Lynn
Diane Lynn marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Full name: Dorothy Emily Stevenson.
Cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas or Dorothy L. Sayers (to name but a few) her books are funny, intensely readable, engaging and dependable.
More about D.E. Stevenson...
Miss Buncle's Book Miss Buncle Married Mrs. Tim Christie The Two Mrs. Abbotts The Young Clementina