Blank-133x176
The Collected Stories

Paul Theroux

The Collected Stories

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A volume of stories, featuring: Sinning With Annie; World's End; The Consul's File; and The London Embassy. The author's canvas stretches from London to South-East Asia, Boston to Paris and Africa to Eastern Europe, and the characters include colonials, children and students.
Unknown Binding
Published May 26th 1999 by Penguin Books (first published July 1st 1997)

Taylor S.
I am a huge Paul Theroux fan. But, his short stories are predictably witty and lack the drawn-out character development of his full-length books. Though cute and creative, these stories lack depth or understanding of the characters, especially the stories written in third-person. I am finding the first person pieces more believable.
Manu Prasad
For a while now, I've been stuck inside my cocoon of Indian writing and travelogues, except for occasional forays. My biggest peeve was that I couldn't identify with international fiction. And Paul Theroux, with this book, just laughed. :)
The book has 5 parts, the last 2 with an obvious connection, but the remaining stories spans geographies, contexts and webs that humans create with their emotions and relationships. The first three have troubled marriages, stagnant relationships, death, decepti...more
Sara
I haven't really read this whole book. I have been picking it up lately. I love it, but it's really varied and also long. Sometimes there is a dull part about being a diplomat, but more often there is a very interesting part that may or may not be about being a diplomat. Mostly it's excellent to read and delves deeply into several genres. The regular short story style short stories in the beginning are my favorites-- "Algebra" makes me do The Running Man and The Cabbage Patch at the same time. I...more
Beatles24
Strange if interesting book. The first half of the book contains poignant stories of relationships (usually sundered) and relationships that are near cloying but not enough to make one sick. And then there are stories that end abruptly without point - like they are a Sinfeldian account of what happened in someone's life on a given day - any day.

The second half of the book is quite funny in that it is set in two diplomatic outposts where the main character is stationed (Malaysia and London). The...more
Karin
This is a mixed bag,some are a little out there,most of them are enjoyable.The one that is still in my head is about the african moth which lays eggs into fabric.When the fabric is worn by humans, body heat will hatch the eggs and the larvae will live under the skin until they are ready to come out.Apparently the pain to the host is pretty bad to put it mildly.
Rachel
There are some pretty ugly characterizations, though - the author, like many of his generation, is skilled at molding his own prejudice into a character. Particularly the self-loathing East Indian. Still, I enjoyed this collection as markers of a particular time. They are beautifully written, and of course not everything has changed since.
Dyah
waktu itu lagi pengen nulis buku ttg buildings and places, and my sister recommended that I read Paul Theroux's books. Berhubung bukunya tebel-tebel, jadi aku pinjem yang collected stories. Sempet baca beberapa cerita pertama. Kind of liked it. Tapi ga habis...
Kaarin
"Life was so simple, and marriage only a complication. Marriage also implied a place: You were married and lived in a particular house; unmarried, yhou lived in the world, and there were no answers required of you.

Ah, Paul. You speak so well.
Kat Mc
Only got through the first 1/4 of the book, but I loved it! Will pick it back up some time soon. Pending library fees :)
Frederick Bingham
A collection of short stories. I listened to about half of them on cassette. I lost interest thereafter.
Jason
Piced it up in Cambridge Mass. Excellent intro to te breadth of his fiction.
Vera
Vera marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Maxim
Maxim marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Daniel
Daniel added it
May 09, 2014
Tiffany Pitra
Tiffany Pitra marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
John Orman
John Orman is currently reading it
Mar 16, 2014
Aunt Tiff Tiff
Aunt Tiff Tiff marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Darran Squibb
Darran Squibb marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Ronson
Ronson added it
Feb 08, 2014
Morgandp
Morgandp marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Paul Edward Theroux is an American travel writer and novelist, whose best known work is The Great Railway Bazaar (1975), a travelogue about a trip he made by train from Great Britain through Western and Eastern Europe, the Middle East, through South Asia, then South-East Asia, up through East Asia, as far east as Japan, and then back across Russia to his point of origin. Although perhaps best know...more
More about Paul Theroux...
The Great Railway Bazaar Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Cape Town The Mosquito Coast Riding the Iron Rooster The Old Patagonian Express: By Train Through the Americas