Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Vol. 04: The Heart's Desire” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Vol. 04: The Heart's Desire

The Walking Dead, Vol. 04: The Heart's Desire (The Walking Dead #4)

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  21,609 Ratings  ·  838 Reviews
Life in the prison starts to get interesting for Rick Grimes and the rest of our survivors. Relationships heat up, fizzle out, and change entirely almost overnight. By the end of this volume, relationships between key characters are radically changed, setting the stage for future events in The Walking Dead.
Published April 28th 2009 by Image Comics (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Vol. 04, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Dead, Vol. 04

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,432 books — 3,988 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
1,085 books — 2,653 voters

More lists with this book...

Jon Purkis
Sep 28, 2011 Jon Purkis rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
This comic reads like it's been written by a 15 year old boy with a constant erection.

The Walking Dead is a great premise poorly executed. The characters are insipid, with no defining qualities to empathise with. The plot rapidly and repeatedly flits between killing and sex, with little meaning or worthwhile emotion given to either. This volume is particularly bad, portraying every character as sex-crazed. Almost every adult character has had sex, often with different partners, as if in a world
Alejandro
Feb 28, 2017 Alejandro rated it it was amazing
A cage is a cage not matter what.

This is the fourth volume of the softcover editions of "The Walking Dead", collecting the comic book issues from #19 to #24.

Creative Team:

Writer: Robert Kirkman

Illustrators: Charlie Adlard

Additional gray tones to inking: Cliff Rathburn

Chapter Four

THE HEART’S DESIRE

Cry me a river.

Enter: Michonne,...

...mysterious Afro-American woman with a samurai sword. ‘Nuff said!

Rick’s group has troubles in all fronts.

Menaces outside and inside of the prison.

Rick final
Jean Ramsay
Aug 21, 2012 Jean Ramsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Before I address anything else about this series, I have say, Robert Kirkman? You have some issues when it comes to women. Thusly, you can't write women accurately. At all. The female characters in this series are either bitches, sluts or nagging harpies (or some combo of the three) who just wanna wash clothes, sew, have babies, fuck men, and maybe, in a completely out of character move, kiss another woman. Also, the children in this book are like Disney show characters, ridiculously blinking up ...more
Rachel Reads Ravenously
 photo grindsmygears.png

Yeah.... this was not my favorite edition. I am very thankful that there are co-writers on the show because the women in this ARE AWFUL. And the men form their own committee and the women are not included? WTF?
Bookdragon Sean
Some people aren’t meant for this new world; they’re too weak, too stupid and too useless. They’re walking spoilers because it’s so obvious that they will be the next to die. But, for every idiot that dies, everyone else get tougher. They learn from the fatalistic mistakes of the fallen: they learn never to fall into the same trap. Rick’s already a hard bastard, and this is only the fourth chapter, I’m looking forward to seeing how ruthless he is bound to become.

I’m enjoying reading this throug
Dec 12, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD". Another great volume of TWD comics. This volume focuses on morality and how the group are going to have to adapt if they want to survive. What's right? What's wrong? You can stay "humane" and get munched on or you can kill and survive. I really liked it. Everyone is fighting and it's great. I'm so obsessed with this story! I might start watching the TV show even though I know they're different and I also know lots of spoilers for the show! The shit hits the fan numerou ...more
Wren | WrensReads
WrensReads Review:

HOW CAN SOMEONE WRITE GIRLS SO HORRIBLY?

I am not sure what happened in this volume. Like. Girls turned against girls. Girls just want to get it on and nothing else. Girls just want to please the men. Men fight each other over girls.

Where is the actual story?
Where are the empowering women at?

I feel like this was a filler for the series. I needed more story, and less drama and poorly written women.

At least it was still a masterpiece in the illustrated department. The art is glor
Becky
Well. That was brutal. And grim. The times... they are a-changin'!

Still so great though. I am really loving this series, especially the artwork. There were panels in this volume that show Tyreese in such detail, and I love how intricate the drawings are. The fact that you can see the way his right ear folds down just a tiny bit at the top is so impressive to me. Or how you can tell so much about how Lori is feeling just by her facial expressions - she doesn't have to say a word.

I love that the
Brendon Schrodinger
The Walking Dead Volume 4: Days of Our Undead Lives.

I was excited at the start of this. Michonne is here, there is a confrontation between the prisoners and the gang. All is set for a great storyline.

But what you get is drama, drama, drama. Who's sleeping with who and who blames who for someone death. And Rick's breakdown. Well the first one from memory. But I guess the cover does warn us by depicting a kiss. Everyone is on edge and having a mental breakdown. Probably not surprising given the c
Ler com Lobos
Aug 25, 2016 Ler com Lobos rated it really liked it
"We are the walking dead." Adoro! Todos a considerarem o Rick um doido e afinal é o que vê as coisas com mais clareza.
Jesse A
Jul 23, 2015 Jesse A rated it really liked it
I'm really starting to enjoy this series.
Justin
Dec 19, 2015 Justin rated it liked it
I don't like this stuff for the zombies and all the different ways to kill them. What keeps me reading and occasionally watching is the human aspect of it. When everything changes so dramatically, what is right and wrong? Is killing someone wrong if it's justified? Who's in charge of making the decisions? Who makes the law? What are the consequences for breaking the law?

A lot of those questions are out there and the group is trying to find answers, but many of them are becoming unhinged. There a
Aurora

These are so bad, yet I can't stop reading them. I guess I'm just curious to see the plot differences between this and the TV series (the TV show is far superior to the comic).

This volume was equally ridiculous as the last two. (view spoiler)
Gabby
Okay so this is easily my least favorite volume out of the four I've read so far. I was really excited when I saw Michonne finally get introduced, as she's one of my favorite character in the show, but her character is a total bitch in the comics and I hate that. I hate how all of the women are portrayed in these comics, but specifically in this volume, it's really bad.
SPOILERS BELOW
This particular volume is full of nothing but drama. And not even the good kind of drama, but the stupid love tri
Anthony Chavez
Jul 31, 2011 Anthony Chavez rated it liked it
Brightness

There are a LOT of gifs ahead.

Oh my.

Oh my.

Oh. my.

You said it, Glenn. It really, really is.

Guys...I can't do this without spoilers so you've been warned.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Where the hell do I even begin?? And why has it taken me four volumes to realize how freaking fucking sexist this series is? Ok, ok. There have been hints of it in every issue, but nowhere near as blatantly stupid as this.

Have any of these writers ever met a woman before? Because, I really, really wonder.

Let's just go ahead and di
Ayman Gomaa
Mar 10, 2016 Ayman Gomaa rated it liked it
Shelves: comics

"WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD " that's was this volume about , this volume was okay i guess
i loved that finally Michonne appeared in the comics but i really i didn't loved her so much in the comics coz they made her really B**** but she is still my fav character after Daryl and carol in the show of course xD .
anyway this comics talks about how disaster like this can make us be savages and lose our humanity but thats how the world nw so u have to deal with it but don't be too insane plz :D :P

Nermin
May 08, 2013 Nermin rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: easily entertained
Shelves: comics, bullshit
0 stars.

Would anyone care to explain me why these comics are so popular? Why do people like The Walking Dead so much? Why??? I've never seen so many flat and horrible characters together. None of the characters in the comics so far has any redeeming qualities. They are all fucked-up, selfish, shallow and stupid human beings that you would try to avoid at all costs in real life. All they do is fight over trivial things, almost every day someone is committing suicide for no goddamn reason or killi
Samadrita
Contains what I think is the most chilling part of the narrative so far -

(view spoiler)
Nicole Alycia
Dec 15, 2016 Nicole Alycia rated it really liked it
So much drama in this one.
☣Lynn☣
Not my favorite. I hated how sex driven all the characters were. Sex is great, but not when people are getting bit and killed by zombies.

And what's up with all the fucking drama?? Ugh
Praiz Sophyronja
Yessss! Finally some Michonne! My girlllll!!!
Sam Quixote
Apr 27, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
The subtitle to The Walking Dead should be: A Post-Apocalyptic Soap Opera as the series veers away from depressing horror to hokey melodrama in this fourth volume, appropriately titled The Heart’s Desire, as if it were an episode of Melrose Place!

The cliffhanger of the last volume is dealt with in no time at all, as if that entire last volume’s conflicts didn’t matter at all, and a new character called Michonne appears, while another character dies, and a lot of relationship stuff happens.

I’ve
Kristen
Jan 14, 2016 Kristen rated it liked it
My Thoughts:
I've been really enjoying these graphic novels...until this one. I didn't hate it, but I definitely did not like it as much as the previous three. Overall, it didn't seem like there was as much going on. Also, little things bothered me A LOT.

The thing that got to me the most is that there are NO females on the committee. Why? Because they didn't want to be on it. Um, you can bet your ass that if I were part of that group that I would want to be on the committee. I'm not saying all w
Arielle Walker
(Some spoilers) This particular volume frustrated me a little. I've really been enjoying Rick's "descent into madness", but found it a little forced - happening for the sake of it happening, rather than letting the character fall there at his own pace. I can understand if people disagree with this, it's just a personal feeling.

Michonne, however, really annoyed me. I've been looking forward to her appearance since day one, as friends of mine who read the series wax lyrical on how wonderful/bad-a
Vlad
"You ever think about THEM? Watching you like they do--ALL DAY."
"I try not to think about THEM at all."
"Not me--I think about them all the time. Who they WERE--what they did before they DIED--all kinds of stuff. I think about what JOBS they had. Or if they had any FAMILY, and if so, where they went or what happened to THEM. Are any of them family members who have stuck together? Any of them out there KNOW each other before they died? I mean, those things all used to be PEOPLE. Every single one
Scarlet Cameo
Dec 09, 2015 Scarlet Cameo rated it liked it
Esta historia es la que hasta ahora más me ha gustado. Comienza a sentirse realmente el conflicto psicologico de todos los personajes, como les ha afectado la certeza de que no hay ninguna esperanza pero HAY DEMASIADO DRAMA, a veces siento que estoy leyendo más una novela "aderezada" con zombies, que la historia de como sobrevive en grupo.

Por alguna razón no logra atraparme. :(
Christa
Sep 08, 2010 Christa rated it it was ok
Now I have an additional concern that the writer of this series has never met a woman. These women don't want any say in decision-making, they complain about the decisions that are made by others, they get raped, they die, they get scared and want their men to protect them, and they seduce dudes, including dudes who are taken. It's a weird world.
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Jul 25, 2016 Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Walkers
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: Daryl
#19-24 Softcover bind up of issues of The Walking Dead graphic novel. "Life in the prison starts to get interesting for Rick Grimes and the rest of our survivors. Relationships heat up, fizzle out, and change entirely almost overnight."
Kimberley doruyter
Mar 09, 2015 Kimberley doruyter rated it liked it
it's funny, there are hundreds of dead surrounding them.
but they are all wraped-up in there own crap.
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)
  • Chew, Vol. 8: Family Recipes
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 3: Crown of Shadows
  • Sin City, Vol. 6: Booze, Broads, and Bullets (Sin City, #6)
  • Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights [and Days]
  • Preacher, Volume 4: Ancient History
  • Revival, Vol. 3: A Faraway Place
  • DMZ, Vol. 6: Blood in the Game
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, #3)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low
More about Robert Kirkman...

The Walking Dead (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye