Start by marking “Violin for Dummies [With CD (Audio)]” as Want to Read:
Violin for Dummies [With CD (Audio)]

Violin for Dummies [With CD (Audio)]

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The bestselling guide to teaching yourself the violin just got betterDespite being one of the most popular musical instruments for budding musicians, the violin has a reputation as being amongst the most difficult to learn. But no longer. "Violin for Dummies" is packed with the information you need to learn the art of this beautiful instrument, whether you're looking to ge ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by For Dummies (first published January 9th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Violin for Dummies [With CD (Audio)], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Violin for Dummies [With CD (Audio)]

Lydia Howe
I am not a musician, nor an aspiring musician. Instead, I read "Violin for Dummies" as research for a book I'm writing where the main character is a violinist. What I was looking for was a basic history of violins, plus learning some of the lingo, and what it takes to play the violin.

Miss Katharine has an easy-going style throughout the book and she throws in a lot of puns and that help the book move along. It is also clear that she knows a lot about violins and I can imagine that if I ever did
Stephen Hanrahan
I like for dummies books .their clear and helpful and usually an excellent place to start learning any new subject.

Violin for dummies was such a starting point. I am a fairly good violin player .now as well as moving onto other instruments including cello guitar and piano.I have impressed several music students with my ability I on the instrument where most of my education was via YouTubeand this book
Bobby
Apr 17, 2008 Bobby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most Dummies books, the helpful information is hit and miss.

For instance it tells you that you'll need to apply rosin, but it fails to mention that the rosin cake needs to scraped so that a powder can be obtained.

I feel pretty stupid for rubbing the rock-like rosin cake up and down the bow but how was I supposed to know?
Sah Angoluan
Sep 06, 2013 Sah Angoluan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Despite that i don't actually read this book, because this book contains the basics that could help someone about the violin, i really find this book helpful, i read the parts that i don't know about the violin.

This book is helpful to those who don't know the basics of the violin, the parts of the violin and bow, proper bow hold and violin hold, how to change the violin string, how to tune and of course, how to read and the note placement in the violin.

I think this book is helpful for those who
Glarie David
Apr 11, 2016 Glarie David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for self education. Not only it teaches people how to play, it also touch on how to read notes, maintenance and choosing a violin.
Cak Sentot
Natalie Gilbert
Read the first few chapters of this and look forward to finishing it. It offered great insight on maintenance as well as history and technique. I also enjoyed the ice skating book by this publisher; I find they're quite comprehensive and always written by true experts (by Yamaguchi, for instance, in the case of the ice skating version).
Juanita Molina
a little bit hard to understand and the CD didn't work so i was kind of struggling and i didn't understand the up bow and down bow symbols when it came to reading an actual piece of music. I don't think this book is for people that expect to learn Violin without a teacher because trust me it's real hard.
Athena Greek
Aug 23, 2015 Athena Greek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well construct book to help in learning violin. You will need a violin methode book with to advence in learning.
Arbano
Arbano rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Sandy McCarthy
Sandy McCarthy is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2016
Laura Carrera Arias
Laura Carrera Arias marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
A.Good.Book.Pun
A.Good.Book.Pun is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Brian Smithie
Brian Smithie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Bojidar
Bojidar marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Chris Fletcher
Chris Fletcher marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Sai
Sai is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2016
Mohamed Salah
Mohamed Salah marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Lucinda
Lucinda marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Claire David
Claire David rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Tallyho575
Tallyho575 rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Mats Forssblad
Mats Forssblad is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2016
Leanna
Leanna rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Keith
Keith is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016