Start by marking “Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better” as Want to Read:
Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better

Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better

Rules for developing talent with disciplined, deliberate, intelligent practice

We live in a competition loving culture. We love the performance, the big win, the ticking seconds of the clock as the game comes down to the wire. We watch games and cheer, sometimes to the point of obsession, but if we really wanted to see greatness--wanted to cheer for it, see it happen, under
Published September 19th 2012 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Practice Perfect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practice Perfect

Matt
Apr 30, 2013 Matt rated it it was ok
There are great insights in this book, but I always get the feeling Lemov is stretching things out for length. Whereas a shorter book could focus on the main concepts of rethinking practice, how to practice, modeling, feedback, culture building, and post-practice skills, this one breaks those already discreet elements into even smaller components (rules). By the end, there are 42 rules that can be difficult to keep straight. Perhaps Lemov loves using Rule 11, Name It, a little too much.
Cody Shorter
Sep 24, 2015 Cody Shorter rated it liked it
9 Things I Learned from Perfect Practice: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better

By Doug Lemov, Erica Woolway and Katie Yezzi

1 - Practice Makes Permanent

We are fond of saying “practice makes perfect,” and indeed the title of this book plays on the connection between practice and perfection. But it is more accurate to say that practice makes permanent. In practice you can master a skill thoroughly or not at all, and what you master can be the correct method or one where your knees are lock
Eustacia Tan
Aug 20, 2012 Eustacia Tan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Everyone knows that practice makes perfect. But, practicing the correct way is as, if not more, important. That, at least, is the premise of the book and I really believe it's true.

What this book does is to distill the tenets of effective practicing into 42 rules, explaining each rule in it's own chapter. What I want to do for this review is to looking at the rules that struck me the most (and there are quite a bit) and explore why. Warning: The "why" is going to be all about Kendo <3 (On a
Chris Craddock
Dec 02, 2012 Chris Craddock rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
As Woody Allen said: "Those who can't do, teach. And those who can't teach--teach gym."

I am reminded of that saying because this book about practice and teaching methods is mostly about coaching sports or teaching teachers how to teach. There is some application to practicing music, but if that is where your interest lies you'll be sorely disappointed. I have zero interest in coaching sports, and am interested in teaching, and playing music. The methods in this book could be applied to music, bu
sleeps9hours
Jun 02, 2015 sleeps9hours rated it it was ok
Ended up skimming. Probably a lot more useful if you're a coach or someone who spends a great deal of time training others, especially on physical tasks. I couldn't realistically apply enough of it to teaching in a college setting without being paid a lot more to spend the time developing a class according to these principles.

He makes a compelling argument for training in a way that focuses more deeply on fewer things, for only practicing correctly (like Suzuki violin, don't play unless you can
Joseph
Oct 29, 2014 Joseph rated it liked it
Practice Perfect contains a wealth of information on how to develop a regimen that improves one’s skillset in any number of endeavors, from sports to the workplace. The author goes about this by presenting each of the 42 “rules”, detailing pertinent examples, and backing it up with relevant case studies and research.

At times, it does its job too well with a deluge of information that can be overwhelming. As such, this book may be better used as a resource in which to refer back frequently. To ai
Henny
Jul 21, 2014 Henny rated it it was ok
It was nice to have all the 'rules of practice' neatly categorized. Next to that, I picked up a thing or two. For instance, practice does not make perfect. It makes permanent. I applied the idea of modelling in my daily practice.
But I couldn't read more than one rule a day, I really had to hang in there, because of the smugness the book was written with.
Someone couldn't just have a problem with the content of an assignment, because it was against his or her convictions. No, it was a resistance
Amy
Sep 02, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
The golden nuggets are words of wisdom from John Wooden. The book includes lots of solid suggestions, but 42 rules does seem a bit listy, even for a type A listmaker like me. However, I must read Lemov's Teach Like a Champion.
Sergei_kalinin
Для такого вредного читателя как я, книга, скорее, слабенькая :( Рецензия получилась ругательная: http://s-kalinin.blogspot.ru/2013/09/...

(расстроился и интеллект-карту делать не стал...)
Laura Thompson
Buyer beware! Do not buy the audiobook version. The narrator's voice sounds like a monotonous computer. I am 75 minutes into the book and don't recall a word. This will be a tough one to finish.
Gabriel Olmeda
Jun 24, 2014 Gabriel Olmeda rated it really liked it
Doug Lemov is becoming a big name education because all his ideas are practical and well researched. I like the way he approaches education from a practitioner not necessarily a researcher sitting high in the ivory tower. In this book, Lemov and his team argue that teachers need to change their approach to practicing. We need to teach more like coaches, where we concentrate on fundamental skills and practice effectively to achieve results. Sounds simple and many of the rules are simple, but it i ...more
Dave Smith
Jan 12, 2013 Dave Smith rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for those who not only coach or train others, but for anyone that wants to get better at anything!
Kirsten
Jul 09, 2013 Kirsten rated it liked it
I had to persevere to get through this book, and usually abandon books quickly or skim through them if I don't feel like reading them, but something about this one kept me going. In it the authors, already known as expert teachers, aim for a wider readership including coaches, executives, managers of large and small businesses, employees, and the self-employed. They address techniques for both individual practice and coaching others under your leadership. The weakness in this wide scope (and per ...more
Nefficus
Dec 08, 2012 Nefficus rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, education
This is an important book, one that has led me to go deeper into the field of developing expertise (moving on to K. Anders Ericcson's "the Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance"...no small tome and more academic in prose). In Practice Perfect three teachers that are heavily involved in improving teaching performance across America give us 42 rules for learning to practice better in order to develop true expertise. I was attracted to this work for its potential to help me with in ...more
Alain Burrese
Sep 17, 2012 Alain Burrese rated it really liked it
There's an old saying, "Practice makes perfect." Most of us know that this saying is really not accurate, it should be "Practice makes permanent." If you want to be perfect, you would have to modify the saying to "Perfect practice makes perfect." And that is what this book is about. "Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better" by Doug Lemov, Erica Woolway and Katie Yezzi focuses on how you can practice better, and if you are a teacher or coach, how you can design successful ...more
Alex  Lychak
Один из важных для себя моментов. По окончанию чтения постараюсь написать более развернутый обзор. Но то что я пишу сейчас здесь - скорее даже больше для себя, нежели для кого-то другого. Но мало ли, может, кому-то тоже будет полезно.

Стандартизируйте ошибки

— Стимулируйте обучающихся ставить перед собой
сложные задачи; научите их идти на просчитанный
риск каждый раз, когда они оказываются в тупике раз-
вития.
— Не преуменьшайте и не игнорируйте промахи, иначе
они войдут в привычку и обучающиеся не см
Dee
Nov 24, 2012 Dee rated it really liked it
Shelves: written-reviews
Whether learning time tables or music scales as children often adults promote “practice makes perfect” As our academic careers advance often we don’t transition to deliberate and purposeful practice.

This wonderful book helps illuminate the difference between the two types of practice and offers 42 manageable steps to help learn more meaningful practice. The steps help break down every aspect and angle of the learning process. Actionable and straightforward readers can implement the small changes
Marcel
Mar 16, 2016 Marcel rated it really liked it
This book will tell you how to train teachers to do the things listed in Doug Lemov's Teach Like a Champion. It's more about practice as it applies to teacher training, which was not completely what I expected when I ordered it. As a teacher trainer, however, it was perfect for me. If you are looking for help practicing something else, you might be a little disappointed.
Elizabeth
Mar 13, 2013 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
I won this book in a giveaway so I am obligated to review.

I thought the book had a very organized, clear set up. I also really enjoyed the direct writing style, particularly because it is an 'advice' book.

My problem was that I just couldn't get to the end. I truly tried for the integrity of my review, but I found that a lot of the advice in the book was advice I already knew. I feel that for me, personally, it was not worth the read. It is not worth it for anyone who is already well organized a
Jeffrey
Nov 03, 2014 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Doug Lemov comes with considerable experience in education and in training teachers to become better teachers. He understands and readily applies elements of deliberate practice to the teaching field - whether that teacher is in a classroom, in the work place, or in the board room.

Each chapter is broken down into digestible elements that - in essence - reflect the very principles Lemov is advancing. That is, he aims to teach us how to practice better and how to teach others to practice better.

A
Franck Chauvel
Aug 21, 2016 Franck Chauvel rated it liked it
Shelves: self-development
This is a book about improving through daily practice: Practice to automate as much as possible of the mundane tasks, in order to unlock energy and creativity on more strategic aspects of your field.

While I found the book easy to read, I did not realise at first that the book was mainly for teachers, coaches and the likes. Many of the practices described—or at least many of the example taken—are about teaching in high school. This book builds upon ideas from Teach Like a Champion Summary.

While
Olivier Novel
Mar 06, 2016 Olivier Novel rated it really liked it
If you want to excel at anything you've got to be ready to go through the motions, and that means practice, and practice and then some more practice. And you've got to practice well, deliberate practice, and when you plateau don't be complacent and work harder, faster, search for a new approach.
Mary
Nov 10, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
While the concepts in this book are not new, I love the way that the author's present them. We think about practice in terms of things in our lives such as sports teams, but we do not always think about practicing many other skills. This includes practicing conversations, teaching situations, and coaching employees. This book outlines 42 different techniques for leaders to use in a variety of situations.

The authors outline some of the ways that leading coaches have run their practices. Practice
Alex Crimson
Apr 06, 2016 Alex Crimson rated it really liked it
The large number of rules suggested for practice makes things a bit difficult to apply but otherwise this is a wonderful book for anybody trying to learn and master a new skill. I don't know if there is any other book on this topic that can be better than this one.
Heidi Beckman
Feb 03, 2014 Heidi Beckman rated it it was amazing
An excellent review of the details of practice. Reminds us that what often looks like "natural talent" is typically the result of an intensive, systematic effort to get better at something. Gives a blueprint for practicing in an effective way that makes a difference in the long run.
J. N.
Jul 22, 2014 J. N. rated it liked it
Not terrible, the first half was interesting, but the second half wasn't nearly general enough. I think teachers would be better off reading the Teach Like A Champion book so often referred to and every else better off reading a jazzier book like Talent is Overrated.
Robb Menlove
Apr 24, 2014 Robb Menlove rated it liked it
A great premise and obviously correct. Practice makes Permanent and we can and should practice anything we want to do better. 42 rules seemed a bit of a stretch, where the same point could have been made with maybe 30.
Marcus
Oct 10, 2013 Marcus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is one of the best books on mastery that I've come across. It's much more than a bunch of summaries of studies and books on practice, it's the wisdom of some amazing teachers who spent a lot of time actually learning and teaching others how to master their fields. Most of the examples in the book are geared toward teaching teachers how to perform, however the techniques are easily applied to any field or endeavor.

The passion for learning the authors bring to the subject is palpable and the
Nancy Perovich
Aug 24, 2014 Nancy Perovich rated it liked it
Shelves: education
I chose this book because it was written by Doug Lemov. What sticks with me is practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent. You should practice what you know and build your routines slowly.
Steve
Apr 30, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
If you're a teacher, coach, or are looking to hone your skills, this book is for you. Well crafted with step by step advice, the knowledge found in this book is timeless.
  • Heart, Smarts, Guts, and Luck: What It Takes to Be an Entrepreneur and Build a Great Business
  • Bringing Words to Life: Robust Vocabulary Instruction
  • The Little Book of Talent: 52 Tips for Improving Your Skills
  • Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else
  • Literacy Work Stations: Making Centers Work
  • Making Learning Whole: How Seven Principles of Teaching Can Transform Education
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
  • 10-Minute Toughness: The Mental Training Program for Winning Before the Game Begins
  • Literature Circles, second edition: Voice and Choice in Book Clubs & Reading Groups
  • Driven by Data: A Practical Guide to Improve Instruction
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • The Half-life of Facts: Why Everything We Know Has an Expiration Date
  • Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success
  • inGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity
  • Why Don't Students Like School?: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom
  • Intelligence and How to Get It: Why Schools and Cultures Count
  • Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals
  • Invent To Learn: Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom

“Will we be content to cruise along on autopilot or will we scramble and suffer to get better?” 0 likes
“We are fond of saying “practice makes perfect,” and indeed the title of this book plays on the connection between practice and perfection. But it is more accurate to say that practice makes permanent.” 0 likes