Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better

Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Rules for developing talent with disciplined, deliberate, intelligent practice

We live in a competition loving culture. We love the performance, the big win, the ticking seconds of the clock as the game comes down to the wire. We watch games and cheer, sometimes to the point of obsession, but if we really wanted to see greatness--wanted to cheer for it, see it happen, under...more
Published September 19th 2012 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2012)

Matt
There are great insights in this book, but I always get the feeling Lemov is stretching things out for length. Whereas a shorter book could focus on the main concepts of rethinking practice, how to practice, modeling, feedback, culture building, and post-practice skills, this one breaks those already discreet elements into even smaller components (rules). By the end, there are 42 rules that can be difficult to keep straight. Perhaps Lemov loves using Rule 11, Name It, a little too much.
Eustacia Tan
Everyone knows that practice makes perfect. But, practicing the correct way is as, if not more, important. That, at least, is the premise of the book and I really believe it's true.

What this book does is to distill the tenets of effective practicing into 42 rules, explaining each rule in it's own chapter. What I want to do for this review is to looking at the rules that struck me the most (and there are quite a bit) and explore why. Warning: The "why" is going to be all about Kendo <3 (On a...more
Henny
It was nice to have all the 'rules of practice' neatly categorized. Next to that, I picked up a thing or two. For instance, practice does not make perfect. It makes permanent. I applied the idea of modelling in my daily practice.
But I couldn't read more than one rule a day, I really had to hang in there, because of the smugness the book was written with.
Someone couldn't just have a problem with the content of an assignment, because it was against his or her convictions. No, it was a resistance...more
Amy
The golden nuggets are words of wisdom from John Wooden. The book includes lots of solid suggestions, but 42 rules does seem a bit listy, even for a type A listmaker like me. However, I must read Lemov's Teach Like a Champion.
Sergei_kalinin
Для такого вредного читателя как я, книга, скорее, слабенькая :( Рецензия получилась ругательная: http://s-kalinin.blogspot.ru/2013/09/...

(расстроился и интеллект-карту делать не стал...)
Gabriel Olmeda
Doug Lemov is becoming a big name education because all his ideas are practical and well researched. I like the way he approaches education from a practitioner not necessarily a researcher sitting high in the ivory tower. In this book, Lemov and his team argue that teachers need to change their approach to practicing. We need to teach more like coaches, where we concentrate on fundamental skills and practice effectively to achieve results. Sounds simple and many of the rules are simple, but it i...more
Dave Smith
Excellent book for those who not only coach or train others, but for anyone that wants to get better at anything!
Kirsten
I had to persevere to get through this book, and usually abandon books quickly or skim through them if I don't feel like reading them, but something about this one kept me going. In it the authors, already known as expert teachers, aim for a wider readership including coaches, executives, managers of large and small businesses, employees, and the self-employed. They address techniques for both individual practice and coaching others under your leadership. The weakness in this wide scope (and per...more
Nefficus
This is an important book, one that has led me to go deeper into the field of developing expertise (moving on to K. Anders Ericcson's "the Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance"...no small tome and more academic in prose). In Practice Perfect three teachers that are heavily involved in improving teaching performance across America give us 42 rules for learning to practice better in order to develop true expertise. I was attracted to this work for its potential to help me with in...more
Alain Burrese
There's an old saying, "Practice makes perfect." Most of us know that this saying is really not accurate, it should be "Practice makes permanent." If you want to be perfect, you would have to modify the saying to "Perfect practice makes perfect." And that is what this book is about. "Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better" by Doug Lemov, Erica Woolway and Katie Yezzi focuses on how you can practice better, and if you are a teacher or coach, how you can design successful...more
Chris Craddock
As Woody Allen said: "Those who can't do, teach. And those who can't teach--teach gym."

I am reminded of that saying because this book about practice and teaching methods is mostly about coaching sports or teaching teachers how to teach. There is some application to practicing music, but if that is where your interest lies you'll be sorely disappointed. I have zero interest in coaching sports, and am interested in teaching, and playing music. The methods in this book could be applied to music, bu...more
Dee
Whether learning time tables or music scales as children often adults promote “practice makes perfect” As our academic careers advance often we don’t transition to deliberate and purposeful practice.

This wonderful book helps illuminate the difference between the two types of practice and offers 42 manageable steps to help learn more meaningful practice. The steps help break down every aspect and angle of the learning process. Actionable and straightforward readers can implement the small changes...more
Elizabeth
I won this book in a giveaway so I am obligated to review.

I thought the book had a very organized, clear set up. I also really enjoyed the direct writing style, particularly because it is an 'advice' book.

My problem was that I just couldn't get to the end. I truly tried for the integrity of my review, but I found that a lot of the advice in the book was advice I already knew. I feel that for me, personally, it was not worth the read. It is not worth it for anyone who is already well organized a...more
Mary
While the concepts in this book are not new, I love the way that the author's present them. We think about practice in terms of things in our lives such as sports teams, but we do not always think about practicing many other skills. This includes practicing conversations, teaching situations, and coaching employees. This book outlines 42 different techniques for leaders to use in a variety of situations.

The authors outline some of the ways that leading coaches have run their practices. Practice...more
Heidi Beckman
An excellent review of the details of practice. Reminds us that what often looks like "natural talent" is typically the result of an intensive, systematic effort to get better at something. Gives a blueprint for practicing in an effective way that makes a difference in the long run.
Not terrible, the first half was interesting, but the second half wasn't nearly general enough. I think teachers would be better off reading the Teach Like A Champion book so often referred to and every else better off reading a jazzier book like Talent is Overrated.
Robb Menlove
A great premise and obviously correct. Practice makes Permanent and we can and should practice anything we want to do better. 42 rules seemed a bit of a stretch, where the same point could have been made with maybe 30.
Marcus
This is one of the best books on mastery that I've come across. It's much more than a bunch of summaries of studies and books on practice, it's the wisdom of some amazing teachers who spent a lot of time actually learning and teaching others how to master their fields. Most of the examples in the book are geared toward teaching teachers how to perform, however the techniques are easily applied to any field or endeavor.

The passion for learning the authors bring to the subject is palpable and the...more
Steve
If you're a teacher, coach, or are looking to hone your skills, this book is for you. Well crafted with step by step advice, the knowledge found in this book is timeless.
Scott Wozniak
The concepts are five-star profound. The writing is five-star quality, too. But the reason s this gets four stars is 1): I's lacking an overarching structure to organize the ideas. It's a long list of great specifics, but that's hard to remember and implement. They do group them, but in a way that is hard to recall. 2): The examples are so heavily for school teachers (that's the authors' background) that if you're not a teacher you have a lot if translating before you can use these ideas.

For te...more
Donald Plugge

Perhaps I should be giving this book a better review, as I think it was worth the time reading. A teacher may get more out to the theories and ideas than I did. Although, I think it was well organized and thoughtfully prepared. The book just didn't give me that aha moment or flash of insight. Yet, it does offer a good overview on a specific methodology on teaching, as well as stand-alone teaching tips.

The authors use real life coaching examples and teaching research to illustrate the techniques...more
Brian
Excellent book. How to get better at getting better. As taught by a teaching expert.

Highly recommended.
Leslie Liu
Practicing in a correct way is more important than practicing it as a mindless routine work.
Very interesting theory and application. The authors have borrowed heavily from the sports world and created a how-to on developing and sustaining a growth mindset.
Paul Laplante
I haven't yet read "Teach Like a Champion"--it's on my shelf. This book is an attempt to parlay that books success and generalize the advice therein. It could be edited to half its length and not suffer on content. It's got good advice for everyone but the teacher focus is obvious. One plus that stands out is the recapping of salient points in each section and the list of enumerated advice around which the book revolves. Presumably my golf swing and my company can improve if I follow the 40 rule...more
Kristian Norling
This books is all about practice, how to do it, incorporate it, use it and practice it! Many examples, many though from a teacher perspective. This books is a very good read on the subject of practice, with examples of exercises and techniques in the appendix. Personally I think that deliberate practice and having a growth mindset are the most important things at work, and maybe in life too. I recommend this book, especially if you work in a larger organisation or as a teacher.
Bob Collins
How to practice - not as simple as it sounds. Practice doesn't necessarily make perfect, but practice does make permanent, so practicing "right" makes all the difference! The authors used their own work with school teachers, helping the teachers practice the classroom management procedures that would help them be more successful, as the basis for the book. But the applications of these "rules" goes into all areas of life, including business, dance, music, and so on. Well done.
David Ferreira Alves
Dicas e organização para praticarmos e treinarmos para melhorar a execução.
GONZA
If I were a martial art practitioner I'd probably have knew many of these rules before; I met some of them in the books I studied to become a coach and others are from the PNL, but it's important and the way they are explained in this book and why it would be helpful to try to remember the one that have a special meanings for us and for our life.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND WILEY FOR THE PREVIEW
Anne Bogel
This follow-up to Teach Like a Champion was written by teachers and many of the applications apply to the classroom. This wasn’t my favorite, but the exceptional chapters on giving and getting feedback are not to be missed. - See more at: http://modernmrsdarcy.com/2013/08/the...
  • The Little Book of Talent: 52 Tips for Improving Your Skills
  • Heart, Smarts, Guts, and Luck: What It Takes to Be an Entrepreneur and Build a Great Business
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
  • Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else
  • Teaching as Leadership: The Highly Effective Teacher's Guide to Closing the Achievement Gap
  • Literacy Work Stations
  • How To Think Like Sherlock
  • The 5 Elements of Effective Thinking
  • Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success
  • Literature Circles
  • The Practicing Mind: Developing Focus and Discipline in Your Life - Master Any Skill or Challenge by Learning to Love the Process
  • Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals
  • The Chaos Imperative: How Chance and Disruption Increase Innovation, Effectiveness, and Success
  • The First 20 Hours: How to Learn Anything...Fast
  • The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
  • Bringing Words to Life: Robust Vocabulary Instruction
  • The Half-life of Facts: Why Everything We Know Has an Expiration Date
  • Your Brain at Work: Strategies for Overcoming Distraction, Regaining Focus, and Working Smarter All Day Long
Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College (K-12) Leverage Leadership: A Practical Guide to Building Exceptional Schools Teach Like a Champion Field Guide: The Complete Handbook to Master the Art of Teaching Teach Like a Champion Field Guide: A Practical Resource to Make the 49 Techniques Your Own Teach Like A Champion Summary