Start by marking “Great Jobs for Everyone 50+: Finding Work That Keeps You Happy and Healthy ... and Pays the Bills” as Want to Read:

The how-to guide to finding profitable, fulfilling work after 50

Aimed at workers aged 50+ looking for a new job--whether they have been laid off or taken early retirement, need supplemental income, or want to pursue an encore career--Great Jobs for Everyone 50+ is the definitive guide to finding lasting financial security and personal and professional fulfillment. Opportun
Published September 25th 2012 by Wiley (first published August 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Great Jobs for Everyone 50+, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Jobs for Everyone 50+

Dan
Jan 11, 2013 Dan rated it liked it
I’m over 50, and have been freelancing for the past eighteen months and when I read about this book in USA Today, I thought I’d take a crack at it. Although, the author give some sound advice in the last few chapters, but the chapters of possible jobs were not great.

The book is designed for people who have retired, have their nest egg and want to keep busy and make a few extra bucks; not necessarily to change careers (like who would want to change careers for a low paying job?

Overall, although m
Kathleen Rainwater
Nov 17, 2012 Kathleen Rainwater rated it liked it
Shelves: business
60% of workers take on another job after their main career ends. The is a great book for someone who has retired and looking for an interesting and fun part time job. Part 1 includes 10 chapters of jobs, from part-time to seasonaljobs. The information on each job includes the salary range, the "nitty-gritty" of what isn't so great about the job and more. Part 2 includes information on the job search itself. How it is different from twenty or more years ago; the reality of age-discrimination and ...more
Richard
Jan 16, 2013 Richard rated it liked it
I'll be honest, I only skimmed most of this book. The author delivers on the promise of the title by giving lots of ideas to help seniors find jobs that could be a good fit for them. A lot of the ideas are kind of obvious, but some aren't. A few chapters are only tangentially related, such as "How to Write Off a Job Hunt" and "The Best Retirement Plans for the Self-Employed".

My bottom line: If you're wanting a book on this topic, this one covers the bases reasonably well. My rating: 2 1/2 stars,
Melanie
Dec 07, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it
Excellent resource for anyone over 50 looking for full or part time work. Whether you find yourself out of work because of the economy or find you would like to work in retirement, this book has lots of ideas for jobs and suggestions on how to get those jobs.
Ann Clay
Oct 17, 2012 Ann Clay rated it it was ok
It's a good list of just-above-minimum-wage jobs where you don't need much expertise. Not much there you can make living doing though.
Teresa
Jul 01, 2013 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I found it harder to keep reading a non-fiction selection than a book with a plot - I did finish it, however, and it did contain some very useful information. There is a section of the book in the back with websites to reference...the non-profit link was very interesting. When I return to work, it would be wonderful to obtain something meaningful.

I was also interested in the section regarding health care advocacy. I don't know if this interest stems from my early retirement as a Benefits/Retire
Clivemichael
Basically lists of possible employment in a chatty familiar tone. Not alphabetically organized. Aimed for the US market. The bios make it interesting. Focused on straight jobs, some encouragement to explore volunteerism. A number of websites listed for more info.
Laurie
Jun 13, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok
Although I'm not yet 50, I thought this book would help with some unique job ideas. However, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.
Mark
Jun 09, 2016 Mark rated it did not like it
Waste of money. Lots of low-income jobs discussed...wasn't helpful for me.
MaryAnn
Apr 23, 2013 MaryAnn rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A good primer for those of us who will keep working at something after we leave our current jobs. Hannon covers seasonal, part time, self-employment and volunteer jobs, as well as providing many websites which offer a variety of info about health care, time and money management, networking, and more. Not all parts of the book will appeal to all readers, but there's something for everyone who is interested in this topic.
Dave
Feb 20, 2013 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My career as a chemist began when I was 28 and although I was productive, I never enjoyed it. 20 Years later, I'm trying to figure out a new career/job. I picked this up in an attempt to survey job possibilities beyond my usual scope. The listing of job profiles is useful, but predictable. I didn't get much from it.
Mark Styles
Jun 01, 2013 Mark Styles rated it it was amazing
Lots of great advice and opportunities to think about. But what I thought was really good was how the author gave specifics about the actual job duties and responsibilities, what she calls the "nitty gritty." Job titles don't tell you what you'll actually be doing!
Cathy
Oct 16, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
I think it was a pretty useful book. It gave me some ideas to research and was organized well so that I could skip areas that were not applicable to me.
Ruth Hultman Desmidt
Jan 28, 2013 Ruth Hultman Desmidt rated it it was amazing
Bravo! Just was laid off from work (bought the book last year) and found it very handy, useful, and a must read even if you're working.
Nimira Dhanani
Oct 08, 2013 Nimira Dhanani rated it did not like it
Had some good ideas about types of jobs available to keep the retired busy.
Sherry Getz
Sherry Getz rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Susan
Susan is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Carol Fox
Carol Fox marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Vince
Vince marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Moses
Moses rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Kathy Manizza
Kathy Manizza is currently reading it
May 19, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Snickerdoodle
Snickerdoodle marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Mary Picone
Mary Picone rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Kelly Suyemoto
Kelly Suyemoto rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2016
Rick Brick
Rick Brick rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kerry Hannon is a nationally acclaimed personal finance contributing editor and retirement correspondent for U.S. News & World Report. Her new book, WHAT'S NEXT? Follow Your Passion and Find Your Dream Job (Chronicle Books) is now available at online retailers such as Amazon and will be available in bookstores across the country by June 1, 2010.

She has been writing the "Second Acts" feature fo

More about Kerry Hannon...