Start by marking “Great Jobs for Everyone 50+: Finding Work That Keeps You Happy and Healthy ... and Pays the Bills” as Want to Read:

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The how-to guide to finding profitable, fulfilling work after 50

Aimed at workers aged 50+ looking for a new job--whether they have been laid off or taken early retirement, need supplemental income, or want to pursue an encore career--"Great Jobs for Everyone 50+ "is the definitive guide to finding lasting financial security and personal and professional fulfillment. Opport
Published September 25th 2012 by Wiley (first published August 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Great Jobs for Everyone 50+, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Jobs for Everyone 50+

Dan
I’m over 50, and have been freelancing for the past eighteen months and when I read about this book in USA Today, I thought I’d take a crack at it. Although, the author give some sound advice in the last few chapters, but the chapters of possible jobs were not great.

The book is designed for people who have retired, have their nest egg and want to keep busy and make a few extra bucks; not necessarily to change careers (like who would want to change careers for a low paying job?

Overall, although m
Kathleen Rainwater
60% of workers take on another job after their main career ends. The is a great book for someone who has retired and looking for an interesting and fun part time job. Part 1 includes 10 chapters of jobs, from part-time to seasonaljobs. The information on each job includes the salary range, the "nitty-gritty" of what isn't so great about the job and more. Part 2 includes information on the job search itself. How it is different from twenty or more years ago; the reality of age-discrimination and ...more
Richard
I'll be honest, I only skimmed most of this book. The author delivers on the promise of the title by giving lots of ideas to help seniors find jobs that could be a good fit for them. A lot of the ideas are kind of obvious, but some aren't. A few chapters are only tangentially related, such as "How to Write Off a Job Hunt" and "The Best Retirement Plans for the Self-Employed".

My bottom line: If you're wanting a book on this topic, this one covers the bases reasonably well. My rating: 2 1/2 stars,
Melanie
Excellent resource for anyone over 50 looking for full or part time work. Whether you find yourself out of work because of the economy or find you would like to work in retirement, this book has lots of ideas for jobs and suggestions on how to get those jobs.
Ann Clay
It's a good list of just-above-minimum-wage jobs where you don't need much expertise. Not much there you can make living doing though.
Clivemichael Justice
Basically lists of possible employment in a chatty familiar tone. Not alphabetically organized. Aimed for the US market. The bios make it interesting. Focused on straight jobs, some encouragement to explore volunteerism. A number of websites listed for more info.
Laurie
Although I'm not yet 50, I thought this book would help with some unique job ideas. However, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.
MaryAnn
A good primer for those of us who will keep working at something after we leave our current jobs. Hannon covers seasonal, part time, self-employment and volunteer jobs, as well as providing many websites which offer a variety of info about health care, time and money management, networking, and more. Not all parts of the book will appeal to all readers, but there's something for everyone who is interested in this topic.
Mark Styles
Lots of great advice and opportunities to think about. But what I thought was really good was how the author gave specifics about the actual job duties and responsibilities, what she calls the "nitty gritty." Job titles don't tell you what you'll actually be doing!
Cathy
I think it was a pretty useful book. It gave me some ideas to research and was organized well so that I could skip areas that were not applicable to me.
Ruth Hultman Desmidt
Bravo! Just was laid off from work (bought the book last year) and found it very handy, useful, and a must read even if you're working.
Nimira Dhanani
Had some good ideas about types of jobs available to keep the retired busy.
Rickey
Rickey marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Richard L Miller
Richard L Miller marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Tom Donoghue
Tom Donoghue marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Tabassum
Tabassum marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Career2.0
Career2.0 marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Jay Manewitz
Jay Manewitz marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Kerry Hannon is a nationally acclaimed personal finance contributing editor and retirement correspondent for U.S. News & World Report. Her new book, WHAT'S NEXT? Follow Your Passion and Find Your Dream Job (Chronicle Books) is now available at online retailers such as Amazon and will be available in bookstores across the country by June 1, 2010.

She has been writing the "Second Acts" feature fo

More about Kerry Hannon...
What's Next?: Follow Your Passion and Find Your Dream Job Great Jobs for Everyone 50+ What's Next? Updated: Finding Your Passion and Your Dream Job in Your Forties, Fifties and Beyond Great Jobs for Everyone 50+: Finding Work That Keeps You Happy and Healthy ... And Pays the Bills Suddenly Single: Money Skills for Divorces and Widows