Start by marking “Blogging for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Blogging for Dummies

Blogging for Dummies (For Dummies)

This proven bestseller is fully updated and better than ever! Now in its fourth edition, Blogging For Dummies is fully updated and more practical than ever for today's bloggers. Whether you're just beginning or are already a full-tilt blogging maven, you'll find the up-to-date information you need in these friendly pages. Want to integrate your blog with social media? Jump ...more
Published January 24th 2012 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Blogging for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blogging for Dummies

Rebecca Scaglione
Dec 13, 2012 Rebecca Scaglione rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started blogging on July 9, my husband thought it would be a nice idea to get me a few blogging books. I read about half of Blogging for Dummies by Susannah Gardner and Shane Birley, put it down, and then picked it back up again a week ago to finish the book.

I literally read this book from cover to cover. I had never read a Dummies book before, but I have been missing out!

Blogging for Dummies was filled with great facts for any person out there who is starting or working on a blog. Even b
Mar 15, 2014 Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick review for a quick read. Yeah, I picked this up on a random trip to the library and ended up reading it in a sitting earlier today. It's a very general introduction to getting your bearings with blogging - from finding hosts to figuring out what content you want to blog about, to general netiquette and finding a following. I didn't really learn anything new from it, but it was a good refresher. I liked the organization of the text and how easy it was to get pointers for each of the topics ...more
Aug 28, 2010 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always dismissed For Dummies as a literary franchise gimmick, a collection of self-help books with minimal substantive content and hasty research wrapped in a catchy made-to-order brand name. My apologies for so assuming, at least in the case of Blogging for Dummies.

This is the first For Dummies book I committed to reading in-depth. As an amateur blogger with dreams of going pro, I figured this would be a harmless attempt to up my game. It is that. But I also found Blogging for Dummies to b
Richard Thompson
Alright, I admit that I didn’t actually “read” this book from cover to cover — I skimmed some parts. I am interested in possibly starting a blog, but I’m not thinking in terms of a commercial venture at this point so I pretty much skipped the section. I can been seeing references to Twitter (on the movie review show for example) and had no idea what it involved, and that section did fill in some of the blanks. I skimmed the parts about how to actually do it. The book did give me lots of ideas of ...more
Willow Kasper Lore
This book was very easy to read and provided a lot of helpful information - but at times it would leave me with a "yes, yes, and then what?" feeling. There were also several spelling errors, which I found odd for the second edition of a book that preaches good grammar and vigilant spell-checking.
Frank Anderson
Jan 28, 2016 Frank Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a point of reference, I picked this book up at my local library because I have recently (Jan 2016, fired up a BLOG site. It became clear to me that there are other factors in selection of reference material other than subject matter.
Blogging for dummies, the copy I picked up is the 4th edition, copyrighted in 2012. I didn’t go check on this until I’d read a goodly portion of the book. It becomes relevant when you consider that a lot of the information and instructions relate to the up and co
David Sarkies
Jun 23, 2014 David Sarkies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bloggers
Recommended to David by: Nobody really
Shelves: how-to
Sometimes I am a little hesitant reading a book with the words 'for Dummies' or 'complete idiots guide to' in the title because it makes me feel like, well, a complete idiot. It is probably because I like to think of myself as intelligent and take offence at being called otherwise. However, sometimes the most intelligent thing to do is to admit that you don't know anything and then go and learn about it. So, after a couple of people suggested that I start up a blog I decided to grab what appear ...more
Patrick Riddle
May 12, 2008 Patrick Riddle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Novice Bloggers
This is the first "For Dummies" book that I have read and would say that it lives up to its title. I have been blogging for almost six months and already knew most of what the book talked about.

I would recommend the book to anyone new to blogging. It will give you the ABC's to get you started and a good base of references to get you on the right track.

Krissy Mayse
Oct 04, 2009 Krissy Mayse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wanted to start a blog
Shelves: business, for-fun
This book was simple enough that I could use to train people how to blog and helped me with a few trainings by conference call. I will use again in the future to help me create "user friendly" instructions for the folks that I train to use blogs for marketing.
May 28, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
There's a lot of good information in this book, as with any other "for Dummies" book I've read. Unfortunately, since the topic is web-based, some of the examples were out of date. Still, they were only examples and the ideas behind them were valid.
Karen & Gerard
This book is very helpful for anyone who wants to start blogging or who desires to learn more and improve their blog or get more traffic to their site. I recommend it.
Haley Keller
Nov 15, 2014 Haley Keller rated it it was amazing
This book is a great book to give you all of the basic information you need on blogging. I've had a blog for more than five years now (wow...), but I was hoping to still get something out of reading this. You can always improve after all. And I did get some really good information, but it wasn't really as much as I would have hoped. That's only because I already knew the vast majority of it Still, this book is great. I'd highly recommend it for those just starting to blog, and it does a great jo ...more
Marvelle Morgan
Helpful book but probably easier and faster just to jump in and create a blog. It is pretty self-explanatory.
Kathryn Fletcher
Sep 12, 2015 Kathryn Fletcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of the "For Dummies" books that I have read, and I did read the 2013 edition of this book. Blogging for Dummies contained a lot of very valuable information - so much so, that I would buy this book to refer back to from time to time (I borrowed it from the library). I pretty much read the book cover to cover and have decided to leave blogging aside for now, but when the time is right I'll use those tips from this book for sure. Recommended.
Feb 20, 2016 Samuel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An EXCEPTIONAL reference guide to starting a blog, with a ton of helpful links to sites that would be considered a necessity. Quite a bit has changed since the 4th addition, even though it's published in 2012., however the majority of the work in this books still holds true today. While I choose to read it cover-to-cover it really is okay to skip forward to the area you're wanting to know about, OR if you're just getting started read the entire work. It really is a great jump start for anyone cu ...more
Sarah Tilsley
I borrowed this book from the library when I decided after many months deliberation to make my own blog. I really enjoyed reading this book and it really helped me to get to know more about blogging and the software that is available out there.

Recommended to anyone who is interested in blogging and wants to know more about it.
The Bookwyrm's Hoard

Blogging for Dummies is a very good choice for the novice blogger, particularly if you're not very tech-savvy. It is written clearly and straightforwardly, although you may also want a book targeted at whichever blogging host/program (Blogger or WordPress, probably) you decide to use.

If you're already blogging, the book is also useful for specific information -- how to do a podcast, things to know about copyright and image use, and so forth. I skipped sections on topics that weren't relevant to
Tracy Enright
I bought this book to help me get started in my blogging career. It shares the same simple and easily understood format as the other Dummies books which is always of benefit when it comes to technical matters and is greatly appreciated by someone like me who does not always have the best relationship with technology. It guides you through the different stages of setting up a blog with useful advice on how to avoid the pitfalls before you encounter them. I have to admit I am a fan of the Dummies ...more
Jamaze Bracey
Mar 30, 2015 Jamaze Bracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was a good read. good for those who is new to blogs. i mean have no clue to blogs. really its good to know the basics but i feel like im on a higher level than the book.
Jun 17, 2016 Annabel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: read the review below
Recommended to Annabel by: the shelves of the library
Shelves: yeah
I have seen many other Dummies books, and thought they were all boring, and full of facts that you didn't really need to know in life. But this, I thought was actually pretty good. I've trying blogging before, and so I knew somethings about the subject, but this explained it so much clearer to me, with examples that were easy-to-understand, and the text was also easy-to-follow. I read this book in starts and finishes, but overall I thought I spent only a an hour or two on the whole book, from fr ...more
Oct 09, 2014 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Easy, fast read; as all the Dummies books are
Mar 11, 2014 Justina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super helpful for first time bloggers. Book is broken down topic by topic with links to great examples.
Jan 25, 2014 Tessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're trying to blog, or even thinking about doing it, read this. Seriously. Read it. And take notes.
Apr 25, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally new to the blogging thing - really liked this book as it gave a good foundation for those in the fisrt steps of setting up their blog.

The author offers great tips on a variety of topics such as: free as well as fee based sites to start and host your blog, other sites to look at to get ideas, ways to earn $ from links and banner ads, etc.

I've not read other books in this series in the past but was pleased with the overview the author gave..
Mar 02, 2013 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-ficiton
I read the book and felt ready to blog. Wow was that not the case! There are so many things not covered in this book. I think the author aimed at wide instead of deep coverage of the aspects of blogging. Even though Blogger and Wordpress even have their own chapters, I tried both and was lost with the lack of info in the book. On the whole I am pretty computer/cyberspace savvy so I'll be trying another book and see if that proves more instructive.
Jun 11, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even if you've been blogging for awhile you can still find some good information in here though it is geared more towards newbies. It also offers you more information than you really need; how to set up an account on multiple sites, social networking, etc. Mostly a recap of everything a seasoned blogger knows unless you're new to podcasting, vlogging, etc in which case you'd be better off getting a book geared at that topic.
Feb 22, 2012 Naomi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book would work for people who have absolutely no experience in blogging or marketing. I found that 2/3rds of this book was basically marketing 101 and had already been doing it. This was with just started my blog. She had interesting information re: photography, but not enough to make me want to purchase the book. Luckily, I grabbed this from the library to review before I made the investment.
Sep 28, 2014 Matti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for very beginners. Some great tips also for advanced bloggers. Some information is outdated.

My key takeaway:
- Have a blogging schedule
- Before clicking Publish, think "Will your Mom, friends and work clients approve this post?"
- Have a checklist to go trough before publishing
- Think your blog posts as being like letters
- Pinterest can be used to generate traffic for your blog
Like most of the "Dummies" books, this one is easy to read and understand and laid out the information in a way appropriate for complete novices like me. I have the 3rd edition published in 2010 and couldn't help but wonder how much of the information in it is already out-dated and obsolete. Still, I learned some new things and now feel like I have a basic groundwork of information.
Jessamine  Price
Feb 20, 2014 Jessamine Price rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative.
  • Gardening For Dummies
  • Social Media Marketing All-In-One for Dummies
  • Reiki For Dummies
  • Fundraising For Dummies

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 79 books)
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies