Start by marking “The Last Quest of Gilgamesh” as Want to Read:
The Last Quest of Gilgamesh

The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy #3)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In his final quest, Gilgamesh, still mourning the death of his dear friend Enkidu, sets out to find the key to immortality. His journey is perilous. He must fight ferocious serpents and wild lions. He travels through bitterly cold caves, across scorching deserts, and over the fatal waters of the Sea of Death. Finally he arrives at the palace of Utnapishtim, the only human ...more
Published April 25th 1998 by Tundra Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Quest of Gilgamesh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Quest of Gilgamesh

Ebookwormy
This third installment in Ludmila Zeman's adaptation of the Epic of Gilgamesh is probably the most scary. Nonetheless, her engaging illustrations and commitment to the text and visual style of the ancient Mesopotamians make this an excellent resource for discussion with children.

So many wonderful conversations developed from reading and discussing this book multiple times. Concepts children will need help clarifying:

Is death scary? What is the secret of immortality?

For whom was the garden of God
Jean-Marie
This is the last book in the Gilgamesh Trilogy. We read all three picture books as part of our lesson on Ancient Babylon and Ancient Mesopotamia. My kids were fascinated by the stories and the illustrations. We would definitely recommend reading all three books in the trilogy and lingering over all of the interesting and detailed illustrations that tell an additional story about living in the times of ancient Mesopotamia.
Marcus
As the final book retelling Gilgamesh's saga, we see a side to our protagonist that the two prior books do not show us. This was my favorite book in the trilogy. Its themes are ones that all humans have to deal with in their lifetime. If you have come this far, you have to finish the final piece of Gilgamesh's epic.
Aprilleigh
Another beautifully illustrated children's edition of the Epic of Gilgamesh, this time covering the last part of the main epic where Gilgamesh searches for immortality. Several liberties were taken with the story here that I think were unnecessary (blaming Ishtar for the loss of a special plant and the return of Enkidu come to mind), but I have to admit they tie the story in the three-volume set together nicely in a way children will understand and appreciate (particularly those like my son who ...more
Heather
We totally loved this trilogy. My kids spent hours looking at the pictures and asking me to re-read them.

Granted, it's a violent story so some of you may not want to read it to begin with. But it's handled really nicely and isn't all gory and gross while still retaining the original themes.

The art is done in the style of what has been found during that time which was another way to learn about the time period.

I like to find children's books of classic/adult books and have them read it when they'
Billie
I don't have a lot of room for books. I read them and pass them on or donate them, very few I keep. This series is a keeper.
Shelli
King Gilgamesh will live in infamy, just as he greatly desired, due to the discovery of those old cuneiform tablets. Ludmila Zeman did a wonderful job adapting and illustrating these oldest known myths. This series of small picture books need to be read in order, and are really 1 tale.
Tiffany
Final book in the trilogy.brings Gilgamesh through trials and long suffering with the theme of how to beat death. The pictures could be looked at all day! Great retelling!
Pablo
In his final quest, Gilgamesh, still mourning the death of his dear friend Enkidu, sets out to find the key to immortality. He must fight serpents and wild lions.
Leia Horton
The second book in a great children's trilogy of the life and times of Gilgamesh. (mostly myth/part real)
Heidi
Great picture book bersion of the Epic of Gilgamesh. My lower elementary kids all loved this one.
Amy
Wonderful trilogy. Paul read these for history.
Teri
last Gilgamesh book--my girls love them all.
Sarah Swernofsky
Sarah Swernofsky marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Floyd Cento
Floyd Cento marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Fatima
Fatima marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Monique Gutenkunst
Monique Gutenkunst marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Briesje
Briesje marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Emtoo
Emtoo is currently reading it
Nov 18, 2014
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1
  • Pegasus
  • Mummies Made in Egypt
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • Black Ships Before Troy
  • The First Dog
  • It's Disgusting and We Ate It!: True Food Facts from Around the World and Throughout History
  • The Egyptian Cinderella
  • Gilgamesh the Hero
  • Ancient Times: From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor
Ludmila Zeman - Filmmaker, illustrator, animator, and writer. Born 1947, in Gottwaldov, Czechoslovakia (now Zlín, Czech Republic); immigrated to Canada, 1984; became Canadian citizen, 1988.

Ludmila Zeman built puppets and painted backgrounds for Karel Zeman's films, including Mr. Prokouk the Acrobat; sold first animated short film to Czech TV at age nineteen; created films for Sesame Street and the
More about Ludmila Zeman...

The Gilgamesh Trilogy (3 books)
  • Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1)
  • The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)
Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1) The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2) Sindbad : From the Tales of the Thousand and One Nights Sindbad's Secret Sindbad in the Land of Giants