Start by marking “Lawrence: The Uncrowned King of Arabia” as Want to Read:
Lawrence: The Uncrowned King of Arabia

Lawrence: The Uncrowned King of Arabia

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Lawrence of Arabia" began World War I as a map clerk and ended it as one of the great figures of the war. He altered the face of the Middle East, and almost single-handedly formulated many of the precepts of modern guerrilla warfare. Yet he refused any honors for his achievements and spent much of the rest of his life in the ranks of the army and the Royal Air Force, in n...more
Published September 1st 1999 by Overlook Hardcover (first published October 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Lawrence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lawrence

Martine
Michael Asher's approach to Lawrence of Arabia is a bit different from most other biographers'. Rather than taking Lawrence's autobiography, Seven Pillars of Wisdom, as a starting point and finding additional material to shed light on Lawrence's own words, Asher starts from the premise that Lawrence, while unmistakeably heroic, was prone to embellishment, and sets out to detail where Lawrence's account of his life deviates from known facts and other accounts (including letters Lawrence himself w...more
Caroline
This is not your typical biography of a legendary figure. Part pilgrimage, part travelogue, part mythological debunking, part psychological unveiling - it's all here in this book. T.E. Lawrence, known to posterity as Lawrence of Arabia, was an...interesting figure, to say the least, and Asher captures him here in all his strange, curious, contradictory glory.

I'm not sure I've ever read a biography that probed so deeply into a subject's psyche before (although the accuracy of that probing I'll le...more
'Aussie Rick'
This book, first published in 1998, has been one of the best accounts I have read to date on 'Lawrence of Arabia'. For anyone looking for an easy to read but in-depth account of this amazing man then I think this book would be the one to read.

In 380 pages Michael Asher takes you along on a journey of discovery with T.E. Lawrence and what a journey it is. The author re-traces many of Lawrence’s desert journeys and presents the reader with a book that is part history, part travelogue and all dram...more
Surreysmum
Suffice it to say that by the end of this biography, Asher had me agreeing that a number of the most emotionally striking scenes in the movie have asterisks against their veracity because they're based on Seven Pillars, even if you don't already have asterisks against them because Robert Bolt conflated a number of incidents and characters from that book in order to make his screenplay.

On the other hand, it's a really fascinating and remarkably consistent picture of Lawrence, physically fearful a...more
Kelley
This is a very controversial bio of Lawrence. I traded some email with Michael Asher, the author, and he told me had recieved death threats since its publication.

Asher asserts that Lawrence was homosexual (long debated) and that at least two of his exploits of fame (the crossing of Sinai in 48 hours and his capture and rape at the hands of the Turks) never happened at all. Asher charges that Lawrence was a shameless self-promoter that came to despise the role he had created for himself.

At the sa...more
Stefan Meyer
I've read many biographies of Lawrence, but this one stands out in my mind as the best overall. Asher indulges neither in hagiography nor in wild speculation, but presents a psychological portrait of his subject that is credible and ultimately convincing.
Monte Dutton
I've had it a long time and finally got around to it. It was worth the wait. "Lawrence of Arabia" is my choice as the finest movie of all time. Now I have a vivid image of the real Lawrence, or at least Asher depicts him as well as any man could.
Ann Canann
An excellent biography of a man who has long fascinated me. The author, one of the great desert explorers was himself in the Parachute regiment and the SAS.
Louise
interesting fasinating character the book brought arabia alive very detailed long read
Haytham
one of the precious books i ever read.. high recommended !!
Tate
Tate marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Aug 20, 2014
Katrien
Katrien marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Marc Mordey
Marc Mordey marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Dean Outerson
Dean Outerson marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Kit Kuo
Kit Kuo marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Ethar Mahmoud
Ethar Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Ala'a
Ala'a marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Ben Scofield
Ben Scofield marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Real "Bravo Two Zero" Khartoum: The Ultimate Imperial Adventure The Eye Of Ra Death Or Glory I: The Last Commando (Death or Glory, #1) The Regiment: The Real Story of the SAS