Start by marking “Young Warriors: Stories of Strength” as Want to Read:
Young Warriors: Stories of Strength

Young Warriors: Stories of Strength

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  3,335 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
What makes warrior?

This gutsy collection of fifteen original short stories offers a variety of answers to this question with thoughtfulness, heart, and the occasional wink. Compiled by bestselling author Tamora Pierce and folklorist/author Josepha Sherman, Young Warriors includes stories by some of today's most acclaimed and beloved fantasy and science-fiction authors for
Published October 24th 2006 by Random House (first published October 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Young Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Warriors

Keturah and Lord Death by Martine LeavittSummers at Castle Auburn by Sharon ShinnThe Seer and the Sword by Victoria HanleyFire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne JonesThe Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle
Hidden Gems: YA-Fantasy Novels
44th out of 1,586 books — 3,478 voters
Alanna by Tamora PierceTerrier by Tamora PierceTrickster's Queen by Tamora PierceTrickster's Choice by Tamora PierceWild Magic by Tamora Pierce
Favorite Tamora Pierce book
28th out of 31 books — 102 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren Becker
Jan 28, 2008 Lauren Becker rated it it was ok
I had a difficult time engaging with the characters before the stories ended. It was extremely frustrating.
Dec 17, 2010 Wealhtheow rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, pocmaincharacters
A collection of stories about warriors coming into their own. As is generally the case with collections, it's a mixed bag, though with more good than bad. The bad:
"The Magestone" by SM and Jan Stirling. The writing isn't great, but the story (about a n00b sailor who tries to help free a mermaid shaman) makes no sense, either in terms of plot or character.
"The Boy Who Cried 'Dragon!'" by Mike Resnick. Tried too hard to be funny and utterly failed.
"Hidden Warriors" by Margaret Mahy. The dialog is
I'll review each of the 15 stories separately (quickly) then my overall impression.

The Gift of Rain Mountain (Bruce Holland Rogers)-- This story started off a little too slow for me. I wanted to punch the Main Character (Mactun) a few times because he irked me. The ending twist on what Mactun finally took from the Rain Mountain God as a boon made me grin with irony.

The Magestone (S.M. and Jan Stirling)-- I liked this twist on the mermaid/sailor tales. Though after reading what humans did to the
Sep 05, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA or fantasy fans
Recommended to Julie by: Tamora Pierce
I am not usually a fan of short stories, but this anthology piqued my interest because 1) it contains a story by Tamora Pierce, 2) it is EDITED by Tamora Pierce (along with Josepha Sherman), and 3) it includes the short story that became the basis for Esther Friesner's Helen of Sparta books (which I just read).

While those stories alone would have been worth the price of admission to me, I found plenty more to love in this collection. There are stories set in a very wide variety of times, locatio
Jul 07, 2016 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hang on, stop. This book isn't written by Tamora Pierce? It's a collection compiled by her? Well, hold onto your bookmarks, because you're going to want to read this beauty straight through. Turns out she's got damn good taste.

Mactun is offered The Gift of Rain Mountain by its spirit when he cuts through delivering messages. In this story by Bruce Holland Rogers, Mactun's stuck running them because he's the lowest warrior on the totem pole so he takes the direct route through the spirit's territ
Blow Pop
May 27, 2015 Blow Pop rated it liked it
Content warnings: death, violence, blood, murder

I'm going to try to remember all of the stories individually and give thoughts on them.

The Gift of Rain Mountain (Bruce Holland Rogers)-- This was alright. Kind of slow and boring initially. Knew how it'd end (probably because I read too many stories about spirits/gods and trickery). Wasn't altogether impressed.

The Magestone (S.M. and Jan Stirling)-- Nice kind of twist for a mermaid tale. Didn't care much for the characters though. Good idea not so
Jessalyn King
Apr 04, 2015 Jessalyn King rated it really liked it
Shelves: 9-12
Like most short story anthologies, this was a mixed bag.

Here are some I liked:
Eli and the Dybbuk (cute love story)
Heartless (Holly Black: how could I not love this one?)
Lioness (I loved this character! I wanted more of her)
Thunderbolt (Happy to see this character has her own series: plan to read it)
Devil Wind (great non-western story that offers insight, especially historically)
Boy who Cried Dragon (cute. although they never went to the end of the "boy who cried..." story: people don't stop beli
Jul 21, 2012 TheCosyDragon rated it liked it
I originally reviewed this book on my blog - The Cosy Dragon. For more recent reviews by me, please hop over there.

This is a book of short stories edited by Tamora Pierce and Josepha Sherman. It has a nice variety of authors. My usual policy of short stories is that I don't like them, except for finding new authors whose longer works I might enjoy.

'The Gift of Rain Mountain' has a traditional tempter and a traditional ending in my opinion. Although the young warrior thinks he wanted what is best
Feb 11, 2013 Becki rated it it was ok
I enjoy reading short story collections every now and then, so when I came across this collection I thought I would give it a go. I thought the question of what makes a warrior was an interesting one and I couldn’t wait to dive in.

Young Warriors has a collection of 15 unique short stories which cover a wide spectrum of ideas. Some fo the stories were in India, some in South America, whilst others were set in fantasy worlds. All 15 stories have something interesting to add to the idea of what a w
May 04, 2009 Sbuchler rated it really liked it
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy Anthology

This was a very solid anthology; there was only one story I found disappointing - all the rest of them I liked very much. None of them have made me run out and buy one of the author's novels, although I'm now seriously considering picking up _Nobody's Princess_ by Esther Friesner. Her short story, "Thunderbolt" is about a young Helen of Troy when she was a princess of Sparta. This Helen is the least wimpy and superficial Helen I've ever run across. She's spoil
Straightforward stories of heroism in a variety of eras and cultures. I found this collection more middle-grade than YA in both tone and content, but there's nothing wrong with that. Stand-outs for me were Esther Friesner's "Thunderbolt" (I really should read the associated novels) and Tamora "Pierce's Student of Ostriches" (which I've read before, but no matter).

I do wish the commitment to diversity of characters had perhaps been matched by any attempt at diversity of authors. Oh well.
Quandra Chaffers
Dec 24, 2008 Quandra Chaffers rated it it was ok
I was so excited for a collection of short stories that revolved around myths from Africa, India, Austrailia, and all over the world. One more story about Middle Earth or a quest through Dark Age Europe and I would crack. And even hough there were original tales from some European legends like Chulchun, I even those were refreshing takes on familiar tales. Also, these are not fairy tales with morals to the stories, these are mini epics. I think all ages can appreciate a tale filled with high sta ...more
Aug 22, 2010 Ulrike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good! Obviously there are some winners and... not winners in any collection of short stories, but this one was more good than bad. There weren't any that were totally unreadable, and only a few that I didn't particularly like. I found several authors I'd never read before whom I definitely want to seek out at the library based on what they wrote for Young Warriors, which is great.

While the intended audience is more teen than youth, I was able to recommend a couple of the stories to my 10
Jan 14, 2016 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to give just one review of a book that is comprised of so many stories from different authors. I'd say that within the book, there was at least one story that earned 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 stars. Unfortunately, the majority were on the 1 or 2 star scale. I loved Tamora Pierce's short story, and enjoyed a few others, but the rest I couldn't get through fast enough. Over all, I would not reccomend this book because there is so much junk to dig through to get to the few gems. If you like an au ...more
Mar 16, 2011 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some really good stories but also some that weren't so good as always in short story collections.
I didn't enjoy the tribal, native stories so much as the pure fantasy ones.
All in all i don't think fantasy converts and condenses well into short stories as the genre is so sweeping and vast it needs the attention of a full length novel.
Worth collecting though as i am a huge fan of Tamora Pierce and one of her short stories were included though as with some of the other stories it would have been be
Linda Smith
May 27, 2015 Linda Smith rated it really liked it
Young Warriors is an excellent collection of fifteen original short stories by some of the best authors in the young adult genre. I've read more than a few books by Tamora Pierce who both edited and contributed to this volume. The theme of the book deals with children and teens who have to find their inner warrior. The stories are set in a wide variety of countries, cultures and time periods. No two are alike. The skill and originality displayed by these writers took my breath away. I will be lo ...more
There were a variety of good and okay stories in this anthology. A couple I really liked because they were haunting and made me think about bigger issues, or they came from a culture of which I was unfamiliar. At least one of them was from a longer work, which I really frown on because you just don't get the depth or clarity when you try to mash together a bunch of stuff that originally takes more time to get. It's like thinking you understand the movie when you watch the preview. Uh, nope.

Heartless by Holly Black: a darker story than I was expecting, and well done. 3 stars

Lioness by Pamela F. Service: an excellent story that shows a great deal of research. I wrote an essay on the queen who expelled the Romans from Kush, and I recognized a great deal. 5 stars

Student of Ostriches by Tamora Pierce: exactly what I've come to love and expect from Pierce. I love reading about the Shang Warriors! 5 stars

An Axe for Men by Rosemary Edghill: really neat story about a society forced to chan
Kate  K. F.
Jun 17, 2014 Kate K. F. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young Warriors is a strong anthology about what it means not only to be a warrior but also an adult. The fifteen stories follow young people all making choices about what's important to them whether that's a girl who learns to fight from the animals she sees in her chores to others who learn fighting isn't where strength comes from. I found this a good collection of stories with a diverse mix of characters and stories. I would recommend it to a young adult reader with the warning that it does co ...more
I really loved this book and it makes me really sad that I lent it to someone who never gave it back. I, unfortunately, can't remember many of these stories, but I do remember only not liking a couple of them (which, for me, is unusual in short story anthologies). Some, though, I absolutely adored over others - I remember loving Pierce's piece, at least.

I would read this again (and probably will as soon as I get my hands on my copy) and would recommend it for anyone who likes fantasy, short stor
Jul 24, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books of short stories is not what I usually gravitate to but since I was on my yearly Tamora Pierce kick I tried "Young Warriors". Each story was a complete book in a chapter that left me thinking more about each world they were set in. I was happy to discover new writers who I felt a connection with their writing style. There was maybe one story that I didn't like but that is pretty good percentage for a book filled with stories. Woot for warriors represented in all shapes and sizes!
Jo Oehrlein
Jul 22, 2012 Jo Oehrlein rated it really liked it
This collection of short stories includes one by Tamora Pierce in the Tortall universe. The stories are all about young people, some who choose to fight, others who see the sense in not fighting in certain situations. The introduction is a great essay (by Tamora Pierce) in and of itself. It would be neat to compare several of the stories to see how the warrior was portrayed in each. The authors are mostly science fiction authors, so the settings vary across continents and time periods.
Oct 22, 2014 Clay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To start, this was my first Anthology and I must admit, I was very skeptical at first. However, it turned out to be great. Of course, out of the 15 stories, there were some I didn't like. Serpent's Rock and An Axe For Men to name a few, but overall the good outweighed the bad. A lot of the stories were very uplifting and enjoyable in their own senses. Some even managed to be funny at times, which I feel added a lot.

There are certainly some stories I would love to read again.
Aug 01, 2009 Kaylee rated it really liked it
A wonderfully inventive collection of empowering short stories. Normally, I'll like a few stories in any given collection, and the rest will fall somewhere along the spectrum between "okay" and "I just wasted my time reading that?!" Young Warriors was full of well-chosen shorts, though, each consistently imaginative and downright fun.

Yes, it's a YA book, but unlike some, it doesn't have a condescending tone or shy away from "troubling" subject matter. Delightful to read!
Jun 16, 2009 Alex rated it it was amazing
"This book is a collection of short stories focusing on strong characters around the are of the its targeted audience (young adults). The main characters were mainly female as is to be expected of a compilation done by Tamora Pierce. [return][return]Though fiction and often fantastical, the stories are inspiring and motivating glimpses into the world of women who can stand tall on their own. The writing style varies from author to author, but all are well worth the read."
Mar 06, 2016 Elena rated it liked it
Mike Resnicks "The Boy Who Cried Dragon" was an awesome find, as he is extremely hilarious, and Lesley Bain's "Acts of Faith" was a perfect historical fiction with a little bit of Celtic magic thrown in. A really interesting span of many cultures, time periods, types of stories and types of magic, though some seemed too simple and some seemed incomplete. I'm gonna pass this on to a young girl who would be inspired by it, as I think I was a little too old for it.
May 31, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
This book is an anthology of short stories about young warriors. I thought the stories were good and there are a number of authors who are new for me. And most of them wrote stories where I wanted to read more from them!

This is definitely a good book for the pre-teen/teen reading group. And the stories have a mix of boys and girls so I think it would appeal to both!

I read it on a flight home and I was disappointed when the book ended! I want MORE!!!
Jun 28, 2013 Ella added it
Most of the stories are good, while a few make little-to-no sense. My favorite is the one actually written by Tamora Pierce, because it does delve a little into the life of a Shang warrior and their training (which I wished she'd write about after having read Alanna, Daine and Kel's stories).
The stories tend to focus on young women/men who have to be strong in some form or another - that is physical strength, mental strength, or survival instincts.
Oct 30, 2013 J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this book--mainly bad ones. Honestly expected to like it quite a bit more than I actually did. There was definitely some objectionable content going on here in the forms of racism and sexism-- and not in the way that's supposed to point out the ludicrousness of it all either. It made me feel disgusted. There were some good moments from some of the other authors, but overall, I was very disappointed with this book.
Stephanie Jobe
May 05, 2012 Stephanie Jobe rated it it was amazing
Well you can definitely expect many of these writers to show up here again at some point. I won’t go story by story but there were some I liked more than others. You might look at it and expect heroes and heroines who are all beautiful and powerful, but the majority of them are real heroes, ordinary people overcoming extraordinary circumstances. The worlds range from the historical to the fantastic.
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Half-Human
  • The Dragon Book: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy
  • The Humanistic Tradition: Prehistory to the Early Modern World (The Humanistic Tradition, #1)
  • Spices: A Global History
  • The Alhambra
  • The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism
  • Harem: The World Behind the Veil
  • Tea: A Global History (The Edible Series)
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory
  • Dalai Lama, My Son: A Mother's Autobiography
  • Gardner's Art Through the Ages, Vol 1, Chapters 1-18 (w/Artstudy Student CD-ROM & Infotrac)
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • Girls to the Rescue: Just a Girl, #2
  • Year of the Elephant: A Moroccan Woman's Journey Toward Independence
  • Creature Fantastic
  • A Spy's Guide to Tortall: From the Desk of George Cooper
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce...

“And that is the story of the boy who cried "Dragon!"
Of course, when dragons sit around the campire at night or tuck their children into bed, they tell the story of the dragon who cried "Boy!”