War and Peace, V1

War and Peace, V1

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  970 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Paperback
Published by IndyPublish.com (first published 1865)

To ask other readers questions about War and Peace, V1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War and Peace, V1

Mark Seewald
After years of lying to myself and others I finally read the entire book - completely on my IPhone no less. In my defense, I couldn't help lying. After working tirelessly to sustain a (minor) reputation as a reader (and quite knowledgable person)of 19th cetury Russian writers I found it impossible to admit I never read the biggest book of them all. Now that I have read it I can only say that the hype doesn't live up to the book. Sweeping historical movement combined with brilliant observations o...more
Emre Önkibar
Külttür, abilerimiz ablalarımız kitap hakkında zamanında gerekli şeyleri söylemişlerdir. Yalnız o ne bohem hayatmış arkadaş bir yandan her tarafta kontlar, prensler, krallar, subaylar, bir yandan partiden kız beğenmeler, kızını dövmeyen dizini döver kafasında babalar, kezban hanım kızlar... Yazarın hakkını verelim iyi tahliller mevcut dönemle ilgili. Klasiktir; okuyunuz.
Leonid Svidersky
Классика, что сказать. Дал себе обещание прочесть после покупки читалки.
Главный итог: бальзам на душу после сухих новостных текстов и безграмотных блогов.
Paulo
A história de Guerra e Paz passa-se no tempo de Napoleão e (até agora) acompanha o percurso de alguns personagens russos e suas famílias, conforme saiem da sua confortável vida de alta sociedade em direção à guerra.

Este primeiro volume está estruturado em três partes, começando por nos introduzir aos personagens chave no contexto da alta sociedade russa e seguindo depois gradualmente para as operações militares. Portanto temos num mesmo livro a pomposidade da alta sociedade, com as suas festas e...more
Carol
This famous Russian author writes wonderfully but he goes off on philosophical tangents which can be tedious to read. The characters and story lines are compelling as are the battle scenes.
I realize that this book needs a more thorough examination and I hope one day to do it the justice Tolstoy's efforts deserve.

Here was my reaction after reading part I:
I finished volume ONE of Leo Tolstoy's novel last night.

"convoyed on every side by stars but distinguished from them all by its nearness to t...more
Marisa Martins
Com a invasão da Rússia por parte das tropas de Napoleão Bonaparte, a sociedade russa vive dias de incerteza sobre o futuro. No meio de desespero, a jovem Natasha apaixona-se pelo nobre Andrei Balkon e acompanhamos o seu crescimento de jovem inexperiente a senhora da sociedade. Sempre com a guerra à espreita, as histórias e personagens giram à volta da sociedade russa e de como as lutras travadas nos campos de batalhas interferem com as suas vidas.

Natacha, defronte dele, olhava para Boris como...more
April
I enjoy Tolstoy SO much more now than I did in Mrs. Warr's AP English class. :-) My one problem with the novel is I find myself getting irritated by some of the characters. That's probably a good indicator of the author's ability to make a character come alive but the whole privilege of the nobility is something that i just can not sympathize with. And, I just want to give Pierre a good shake and ask him what is wrong with him.
It was perfect to follow up A Tale of Two Cities with War and Peace....more
Trisha
So this is the 5th time I read this, this time back to the Edmonds' translation. prefer this translation and I DO enjoy it, but the hundreds of pages devoted to the war battles and the details of such interefere with it's function as a novel. I understand he had other purposes in mind, such as his viewpoint of the war efforts and Napoleon but judging as a work of fiction, it is still 3* because the novel, character part, gets countermanded by the war analysis.
There's a reason that this book is one of the great classics of literature. It's wonderful! It's all about the characters, which are so richly detailed that the reader can see and hear them, as well as empathize. It's rare that a book delves so deeply into the emotions of the characters and even into their spiritual and moral growth. That in and of itself makes this a treasure.
It could be challenging to some to stumble over the russian names of places and surnames of minor characters, but the ma...more
CD

It doesn't really take longer to read than either War or Peace; this will take more than one or two evening to read. Russian literature is wordy when translated, but no more so than the dense originals.

Tolstoy still provides the mental and visual landscape for most of the west the period prior to the beginning of the 'Soviet'. Various translations, versions, and commentaries do little to blunt or enhance the impact of this work. Bonaparte (Napoleon) and cronies engaged in a vast brutal campaign...more
Emilia
Often called the greatest novel ever written, War and Peace is at once an epic of the Napoleonic Wars, a philosophical study, and a celebration of the Russian spirit. Tolstoy’s genius is seen clearly in the multitude of characters in this massive chronicle—all of them fully realized and equally memorable. Out of this complex narrative emerges a profound examination of the individual’s place in the historical process
There are a number of sub-plots in this great classic, and of course a love story...more
Nancy
A monumental saga with detailed depictions of trials and tribulations of war and the effects on the lives of two primary families with an assortment of extended characters. The main character Pierre transforms mentally and physically over the span of the novel, in addition to other compelling notables such as Natasha, Mary, Nicholas, Prince Andrew, and Platon Karateav. To his detriment, Tolstoy added quite a heavy-handed dose of philosophical and historical lectures. By the time I finished the s...more
Lau
This novel was a pleasure from beginning to end. I'm a big fan of historical novels to begin with, and I was far from disappointed when I read this first volume of War and Peace. Although I must say that the beginning is a little slow, it allows you to create a bond with the many characters and to dive into the social and historical context. The more you read, the more the plot gets intense and you want to jump right into the second volume.

Tolstoi's writing is raw and a little mechanical, but it...more
Victor
One of my favorite books ever! The early part isn't the most exciting but that's only because it sets the scene for what's to come. One of the best books ever written!
David White
Slow-moving but engrossing study of life amongst the nobility of Imperial Russia in the early nineteenth century. Tolstoy covers war, politics, freemasonry, philosophy and a host of other subjects as well as the social mores of those times, but excels in his depiction of the lives and emotions of the central characters. The book is beautifully written and the author makes his points with subtlety and surety.

I found War and Peace enthralling, and look forward to reading Volume 2. Don't let the le...more
Debbie Wooten
About the war between Russia and Frances when Napoleon began his campaign. Book one begins at the reception at Anna Pavlovna's. Introduction of the characters, discussion of the execution of Duc d'Enghien, and Bonaparte as a madman. Contains two good similes about Anna Pavlovna "working" her hostess duties. Progresses to the time when Alexander and Bonaparte call a truce. Pierre and Prince Andrew are the main characters. Contains many French phrases and really gives the whole feeling of the time...more
marieno
Ce qui m'a attiré vers ce livre ce sont les sagas familliales sous fond historique. J'ai préféré les personnages plutôt que le côté historique. Au début, j'étais plus intéressée par Natacha et Pierre, mais vers la fin, je me suis rendue compte que j'appréciais plus le personnage de Nicolas.
Comme dans les autres livres de Tolstoy, les personnages sont bourrés de défauts et ne s'en excuse pas.

Une des plus belles scènes du livre, c'est la mort du prince André. Après ça, on n'a plus le droit d'avoir...more
Clif Hostetler
I have finished the first half of War & Peace. I plan listen to some other books before proceeding with the second half. I belong to a book group that is reading it for the summer. Two meetings still remain of the three planned, so I still plenty of time to finish.

I plan to wait until I'm finished with the second half before trying to write a review. I'm wondering how to write a review of a book that has been already thoroughly reviewed by scholars for many years. What more can I say that ha...more
Diane
One of the longest books I have ever read. It can be repetitive but clearly shows the folly of humanity in both of those settings. One necessarily feeds the other it seems. I like his critique of generals and their arrogance. How they think that their commands are being carried out when in fact the battles, in those days, especially are already fought and won or lost before the orders ever arrive. He clearly believes that wars or either won or lost simply by sheer will power. Whoever has it will...more
Edith
Je me souviens que ça m'a pris 5 mois à le lire en secondaire 5 (pendant ma phase russe). Et ça c'était dans le temps où j'avais le temps de lire beaucoup. Je n'ose pas imaginer le temps que ça me prendrait aujourd'hui.
Est-ce que j'ai aimé ça? Je devais pas détester parce que j'y ai passé 5 mois, mais je suis bien en peine de mettre une cote aujourd'hui, ça fait trop longtemps... Faudrait que je le relise. Ce que je n'ai pas l'intention de faire!
Mais c'est un classique alors je suis bien conten...more
Dan
Jul 22, 2012 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
magisterial. am very grateful that i was pushed into reading this. i quickly found it readable, perceptive, compassionate, vivid. the characters will stay with me, as will the picture of this decadent society, which i can't say is totally alien from our own. the missing star in my rating is due to tolstoy only seeming able, or willing, to focus on one social class, and for it being so so long. i wish he was still around writing about russia today.
Shaun McLaughlin
Tolstoy created several great characters in this tome, and despite the many Russian names, I was able to sort them out. Tolstoy did an excellent job of describing the life of Russian aristocrats and the social order. He did a good job of describing Napoleon's attack on Russia. It was compelling reading. I liked much less Tolstoy's tendency to devote many chapters to pedantic analysis of Russian politics and war. It was out of place in a work of fiction.
Tiffany Reddick
I would like to "read" this book on audio because Tolstoy is so descriptive of his characters, it seems like it will be a movie for my mind (picture me listening to Tolstoy while I walk a treadmill or do the dishes). And it will only cost a subscription to Audible.com--a ninety dollar saving on this download alone. Plus there's a free download for my free computer-based kindle, if I feel a need to look at a page. I'm all about saving money.
Phoenix2
Good book, the war chapters were a little boring, but the whole story is interesting enough.
Daynagirl17
goodness. was it worth reading over 1000 pages....only so I can say that I read it. But not a bad story. Just not what I was thinking.
Kelly
I stopped reading this about halfway through. When I returned to it, I powered through. I love the separate, but intertwining plot lines. It was an amazing journey to experience several of the characters having epiphanies. Not often does a work of fiction cause me to examine my beliefs. I highly recommend this if you are looking for a challenging, rewarding read.
Marie Bouteille
Tolstoï nous emmène d'un salon à l'autre et d'un champ de bataille à l'autre et c'est passionnant. C'est vrai que l'on regretterait presque que le livre s'arrête. Seules certaines des interventions de Tolstoï sont un peu longues parfois en particulier la dernière. Mais j'ai enfin compris le déroulement de cette période des guerres napoléoniennes.
Achab_
it took me half the book to start to understand and remember the character's names and relationships (i almost had to write it down at the end of the book), but it was worth it. apart from some parts about the war that were not entirely to my taste, it was a great adventure, and i'll be happy to see how it's going to evolve in book 2. :-)
Omar
النسخة التي قرأتها والمترجمة للغة العربية ليست هذه النسخة ،إنما هي نسخة مكتبة مدبولي والتي توجد منها نسخ إلكترونية وهي ٦٠٠ صفحة

القصة جميلة والكاتب جمع ما بين التفصيل الشديد والأسلوب غير الممل، إلا أن تفاصيلها كثيرة لمن يحب القصص ذات الأحداث السريعة المتلاحقة.

لكل من يهوى تحليل الشخصيات ويهوى الاطلاع على الأدب الغربي أنصحه بقراءتها.
Daniel Schaffeld
Krieg und Frieden auf dem iPhone zu lesen, war schon eine Herausforderung. Tolstoi überschwemmt den Leser auf den ersten hundert Seiten mit Namen, Personen, gesellschaftlichen Rahmenbedingungen. Wer durchhält, wird später aber mit einer unglaublich dichten und atmosphärischen Schilderung des Napoleon-Krieges in Russland belohnt.
  • Nouvelles de Petersbourg
  • Mar Morto
  • L'Avalée des avalés
  • A Gentle Spirit: A Fantastic Story
  • Legendele Olimpului [Vol. I+II]
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider To...more
More about Leo Tolstoy...
Anna Karenina War and Peace The Death of Ivan Ilych The Kreutzer Sonata Resurrection