Start by marking “The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  458 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
In the early 1980s, Springfield RemanufacturingCorporation (SRC) in Springfield, Missouri, was anear bankrupt division of International Harvester.That's when a green young manager, Jack Stack,took over and turned it around. He didn't know how to"manage" a company, but he did know about theprincipal, of athletic competition and democracy:keeping score, having fun, playing f ...more
Published October 1st 1994 by Crown Business (first published January 15th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Game of Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Game of Business

Adam
Oct 18, 2008 Adam rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
I read this during a time when the company I was working for was considering making the switch to open book management. Our business was interested in getting the benefits of open book, employee owned operations, without offering employee ownership. Following reading this book I attended one of the Great Game seminars.

The concept is great: make everyone with a stake in the business an owner. Put the accounting books in the open for all to see, so everyone has accountability and responsibility. T
Ken
An employee at a company for which I am a chaplain introduced this book to me, to help me understand the business climate of that company. I found it fascinating on its own merits, as well as helping me understand how Hilcorp works.

The book is focused on numbers and financial statements. Normally these things are boring to me, but in this context not so much. I saw parallels between the principles in this book and The ministry in which I work. Many of the ideas could be transferred across to the
Hugo Messer
Jan 30, 2013 Hugo Messer rated it it was amazing
Great book. I havent read these ideas in many other business books. Jack advocates opening up the books to all employees, teaching everyone how to win and make money in a company and make everything a game.
Jon Nordmark
Dec 15, 2008 Jon Nordmark rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book about how ownership structure, and a patient teacher, can create wholesale positive change for an organization.
Abe Nemer
Oct 26, 2012 Abe Nemer rated it liked it
Shelves: nice-to-know

An amazing tool for business
TarasProkopyuk
"Большая игра в бизнес" одна из лучших бизнес книг, которые доводилось мне прочесть.

Те стандарты профессионального менеджмента, которыми делится автор из своего опыта управления компанией, настолько высокие и качественные, что дают полную уверенность в том, что они будут работать почти в любом виде бизнеса, и могут существенно повысить все ключевые его показатели.

А ещё кроме самих стандартов автор раскрыл и множество важнейших принципов, которых необходимо придерживаться руководителям, дабы не
Omar Halabieh
Jun 02, 2012 Omar Halabieh rated it really liked it
Through this book Jack outlines his open-book management framework - which he calls "The Game" - while at SRC. As he states: "What lies at the heart of the Game is a very simple proposition: The best, most efficient, most profitable way to operate a business is to give everybody in the company a voice in saying how the company is run and a stake in the financial outcome, good or bad." The ensuing chapters discuss the various aspects of this framework, covering a breadth of topics such as vision, ...more
Jasmine
Oct 05, 2012 Jasmine rated it liked it
Shelves: business
I know this book is dated a little bit, so it felt like I heard a lot of the concepts that Mr. Stack presented before. I agree with a lot of what he has to say. Although I don't know if I myself will ever be quite as committed to some of the "game" aspects that he seems so zealous about (such as making numbers a competition and providing parties/awards for winners at every single possible opportunity), I did agree with his opinions on open-book management and how giving employees education in bu ...more
Cameron
Sep 20, 2007 Cameron rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: business types and D&D nerds
If you think business is too secretive and that this is stupid, you should definitely check this out. It's a pretty cool story about how a business can be run in a different way. In brief, some guy bought a remanufacturing plant in BuFu in the early 1980s by leveraging his and his partners assets 90 to 1. Somehow he didn't go out of business, and instead built a phenomenally successful company. The secret to his success is so-called open book management: opening your books to your employees and ...more
Karan
Feb 23, 2012 Karan rated it really liked it
really interesting story of empowering employees through open book management: teaching them to think and work like owners of the enterprise. every bit of information and data at stack's company was open to his employees, and they were encouraged to work with and question them. the big question i'm left with is, how would this fly in today's era of spiraling CEO pay? if employees knew exactly how much money was going to their c-suite, would they trust them at all? now, i know the arguments for w ...more
Sid
May 12, 2011 Sid rated it really liked it
What if your employees always saw the bigger picture? What if they were as motivated to make the business succeed as you are? What if they all understood the nuts and bolts of running a business, and treated the company as their own?

One of my favorite business books. It is simple to read, and compelling because the philosophy of open book management appeals to me. Stack does a good job of describing their approach in such a way that you can almost live it with them, and visualize way to make it
Luke Miller
Jan 10, 2015 Luke Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
One of the most simplistic strategic initiatives I've read. Looking forward to implementing some of these proven practices.
Lamech Mariita
Jan 06, 2013 Lamech Mariita rated it really liked it
I think this book is a good read. It's a little repetitive but other than that I found the book to be very nice. Through this book Jack outlines his open-book management framework - which he calls "The Game" - while at SRC. As he states: "What lies at the heart of the Game is a very simple proposition: The best, most efficient, most profitable way to operate a business is to give everybody in the company a voice in saying how the company is run and a stake in the financial outcome, good or bad." ...more
Rob
Dec 16, 2007 Rob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Outstanding book for those who want to strive to be more. I work within a company that currently does not have open book accounting practices and it is painful not knowing why each year there is no money left for bonuses. Jack's ideas and practices are simple, common sense ideas that many should follow. I was advised to read this book by SMA Consulting of Orlando as part of their construction series readings. A must have for those looking to help themselves out in the long run.
Scott Wozniak
Jun 24, 2013 Scott Wozniak rated it it was amazing
This is a a very practical, even technical explanation of how to lead and business. So if you're not a business leader, some sections won't be very practical. But the core idea--how to fully emperor your followers and invite them into the game--is incredible and potentially world changing. Don't underestimate your people. Open your books and educate them to act just as much as a business owner as you.
Alyssa
Jun 10, 2013 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Principles I'd want to build my own business upon and thought-provoking questions for any CEO or business leader. Looks like there is a new version coming out in a month, so I just might have to get it as a reference. Formatting is easy to skip around and use it like a textbook. I think he has a website, too, and a full community of followers and content.
Matt Crossley
Apr 05, 2010 Matt Crossley rated it really liked it
Great introduction into open book management. It's hard NOT to implement some of his principles as soon as you've read it. Because he implemented the process in such an unlikely industry it has given me hope that it will work in almost any application. Even if you think you would never consider open book management you should read this book.
Darcy
Dec 03, 2008 Darcy rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Great book. I particularly like the emphasis the author puts on leveraging the expertise/knowledge of everyone in the company. So many companies work top down. The little guys in the company are good problem solvers too. And the author provides a good model/principles for a manager to get the most out of their people.
Marco Busi
This is a very interesting and easy to read book. You may find it difficult to see how certain aspects of open book management may apply to your business (I certainly did). But you can't deny the whole theory makes you think profoundly about your current approach to managing/leading. Well worth reading this.
Adam
Nov 18, 2008 Adam rated it liked it
Recommends it for: business owners/managers
Recommended to Adam by: Boss
OK some good ideas for leadership, managment, and employee incentives. Give it a look through and read the chapters that might fit your business and skip the ones that don't. He works at a manufacturing facility some experiences translate into other business and others don't.
Phillip
Dec 02, 2009 Phillip rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Phillip by: phillip.blackerby@gmail.com
Educate employees about the business. Open your books to the employees. Make employees partners in the business' success. Let them earn an ownership stake in the company. Turn around any company, no matter the challenges. Employees can lead the company to success!
Rajiv Jamkhedkar
Dec 05, 2014 Rajiv Jamkhedkar rated it really liked it
great book. Explains the principles with which the author ran his business, gave specific examples of how those policies worked.

He believes in Open book management. Making all employees owners.

So both from a strategy and brasstacks - good read!
Steve
Oct 07, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing
Outstanding accounting of common sense leading to common purpose in business. Excellent read with any one of the presented ideas worth 100 times the modest cost of this great book. On any businessperson's "Must Read" list.

Shaka Mitchell
a great book. ..if you're selling widgets. if you Are involved in human services or non profit it is less useful. again, very good insights in a few places but not universally relevant like, say, "good to great".
Miriam Holsinger
Jun 09, 2016 Miriam Holsinger rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Stacks perspective and insight on turning business into a game and making it easy for others to follow. Now I just need to figure out how to apply this information...
Michael
Jun 10, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
A great business philosophy. Tell your employees what's going on and get them involved in the company operations. Simple and effective.
Kevin
Jul 19, 2008 Kevin rated it really liked it
An interesting take on business and ways to run a business successfully... inspiring.
Easy to read and get a lot out of.
Houssam El okda
Apr 21, 2013 Houssam El okda rated it it was amazing
Outstanding story of open book management, workplace democracy and the great game of business! Outstanding
Todd
May 08, 2009 Todd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100-best
This book was included in my book: The 100 Best Business Books of All Time. www.100bestbiz.com
Katie
May 27, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok

This guy thought he was the shit. And according to him shit rolls downhill.
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • Moments of Truth
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • Up the Organization: How to Stop the Corporation from Stifling People and Strangling Profits
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • Growing a Business
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • American Steel
  • How to Be a Star at Work: 9 Breakthrough Strategies You Need to Succeed
  • My Years with General Motors
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • The Age of Unreason
  • Financial Intelligence: A Manager's Guide to Knowing What the Numbers Really Mean
  • Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will