For One Who Knows How to Own Land

For One Who Knows How to Own Land

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Scott Owens describes his new volume of poetry: "I grew up in two worlds: my father's parents' world of brick homes, city streets, shopping, and playgrounds; and my mother's parents' world of dirt roads, livestock, growing our own food, and endless woods. That second world was undeniably harder than the first. The work was dirtier, and there was more of it. The homes had f...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Futurecycle Press

To ask other readers questions about For One Who Knows How to Own Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For One Who Knows How to Own Land

19/7 - I won this in a GR giveaway. I have no idea what possessed me to enter a giveaway for a poetry anthology. I hate poetry. I hate that while reading it I feel like I have to analyse the writing to eek some meaning out of it. In general, I want the words I'm reading to be abundantly clear. I'm not in school anymore, I don't want reading to feel like dreaded homework. So, while I will do all I can to remain impartial and fair to this book, I wouldn't expect a rave review. To be continued...

13...more
FutureCycle Press
We are the publisher, so all of our authors get five stars from us.

Excerpts

Barbara Gabriel
The poems of 'For One Who Knows How to Own Land' are accessible even to those who claim not to love poetry, but without a drop of manipulative sentimentality. Filled with crystalline memories from a perspective of clear maturity. Great read and will stay on my bookshelf for years to come, dropping into my hands occasionally to re-read these poems over a cup of tea.
Diane Kistner
From the Book

RAILS

Every child should have one, a pair, really,
a matched set, set apart just the right width
so that one foot pressed against each one
leaves you stretched out about as far
as you can go, unable to move, feeling
almost trapped, almost actually in danger.

And every child should walk them as if
that’s what they were intended for,
leading out of town, around the curve,
along the river, revealing the backsides
of people’s homes, clotheslines and refuse,
the yards you weren’t supposed to see.

And...more
Marie
I received a copy of ‘For one who knows how to own Land” by Scott Owens as an advance reading copy through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

The poems in this book are very accessible and would be enjoyed by anyone including those new to poetry. Most of the collection focuses on the rural life and farming, I had a harder time to connect with those poems, but can see how powerful they would be for someone who shares a rural background.

The poems that were less rural in their focus did strike a ch...more
Donald Armfield
I don't know what made me get this poetry collection. It is all surrounding the farm, tractors and things with Ma & Pa. I'm not a country boy so I guess I can't relate to any of it.

The cover is great which probably caught my eye. I quoted a few lines in status updates and here are the three poems that I liked.

Leaning Through Darkness to see the Stars

Ghost House

Buzzard
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Catherine Stickann
Catherine Stickann marked it as to-read
Jonathon
Jonathon marked it as to-read
Caroline Waddell
Caroline Waddell marked it as to-read
Tandi Rios
Tandi Rios marked it as to-read
kelly
kelly marked it as to-read
Kris Freestone
Kris Freestone marked it as to-read
Lisa Shirley
Lisa Shirley marked it as to-read
Amanda Trevino
Amanda Trevino marked it as to-read
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Michael Alello
Michael Alello marked it as to-read
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Shannon Lynne
Shannon Lynne marked it as to-read
O'neilia
O'neilia marked it as to-read
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
Lori Tatar
Lori Tatar marked it as to-read
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Mandy Turcotte
Mandy Turcotte marked it as to-read
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Chelsea Chandler
Chelsea Chandler marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Scott Owens is the author of ten collections of poetry, his most recent being "Shadows Trail Them Home" from Clemson University Press, "For One Who Knows How to Own Land" from FutureCycle Press, and "Something Knows the Moment" from Main Street Rag. He coordinates the Poetry Hickory reading series in Hickory, NC, edits "Wild Goose Poetry Review" and "234," and serves as Vice President of the NC Po...more
More about Scott Owens...
The Fractured World Shadows Trail Them Home Paternity Something Knows the Moment: Poems Eye of the Beholder