Start by marking “For One Who Knows How to Own Land” as Want to Read:
For One Who Knows How to Own Land

For One Who Knows How to Own Land

Scott Owens describes his new volume of poetry: "I grew up in two worlds: my father's parents' world of brick homes, city streets, shopping, and playgrounds; and my mother's parents' world of dirt roads, livestock, growing our own food, and endless woods. That second world was undeniably harder than the first. The work was dirtier, and there was more of it. The homes had f ...more
Published February 23rd 2012 by Futurecycle Press

To ask other readers questions about For One Who Knows How to Own Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For One Who Knows How to Own Land

19/7 - I won this in a GR giveaway. I have no idea what possessed me to enter a giveaway for a poetry anthology. I hate poetry. I hate that while reading it I feel like I have to analyse the writing to eek some meaning out of it. In general, I want the words I'm reading to be abundantly clear. I'm not in school anymore, I don't want reading to feel like dreaded homework. So, while I will do all I can to remain impartial and fair to this book, I wouldn't expect a rave review. To be continued...

FutureCycle Press
Jul 27, 2014 FutureCycle Press rated it it was amazing
Shelves: futurecycle
We are the publisher, so all of our authors get five stars from us.

Barbara Gabriel
Jul 25, 2016 Barbara Gabriel rated it liked it
The poems of 'For One Who Knows How to Own Land' are accessible even to those who claim not to love poetry, but without a drop of manipulative sentimentality. Filled with crystalline memories from a perspective of clear maturity. Great read and will stay on my bookshelf for years to come, dropping into my hands occasionally to re-read these poems over a cup of tea.
Diane Kistner
Jul 27, 2014 Diane Kistner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edited-designed
From the Book

Every child should have one, a pair, really,
a matched set, set apart just the right width
so that one foot pressed against each one
leaves you stretched out about as far
as you can go, unable to move, feeling
almost trapped, almost actually in danger.

And every child should walk them as if
that’s what they were intended for,
leading out of town, around the curve,
along the river, revealing the backsides
of people’s homes, clotheslines and refuse,
the yards you weren’t supposed to see.

Donald Armfield
Jul 10, 2013 Donald Armfield rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks-kindle, poetry
I don't know what made me get this poetry collection. It is all surrounding the farm, tractors and things with Ma & Pa. I'm not a country boy so I guess I can't relate to any of it.

The cover is great which probably caught my eye. I quoted a few lines in status updates and here are the three poems that I liked.

Leaning Through Darkness to see the Stars

Ghost House

Kerry Brooks
Kerry Brooks rated it did not like it
Jul 20, 2014
Beth rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Valerie rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Staci rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2013
Tim Peeler
Tim Peeler rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
  • July's Thick Kingdom
  • Miss Havisham in Winter
  • Fugitive Pigments
  • Reasons (not) to Dance
Scott Owens is the author of ten collections of poetry, his most recent being "Shadows Trail Them Home" from Clemson University Press, "For One Who Knows How to Own Land" from FutureCycle Press, and "Something Knows the Moment" from Main Street Rag. He coordinates the Poetry Hickory reading series in Hickory, NC, edits "Wild Goose Poetry Review" and "234," and serves as Vice President of the NC Po ...more
More about Scott Owens...