Start by marking “The Bombshell Manual of Style” as Want to Read:
The Bombshell Manual of Style

The Bombshell Manual of Style

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  629 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
In this glittering beauty and lifestyle guide packed with pearls of wisdom, Laren Stover has compiled everything a woman needs to know to live the Bombshell life: from how to dress and make an entrance to what to eat and where to shop. It tells readers what makes a Bombshell tick; road-tested outfits for 25 occasions; must-have Bombshell sleepwear, handbags, and fragrances ...more
Published May 16th 2001 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Bombshell Manual of Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bombshell Manual of Style

The Bombshell Manual of Style by Laren StoverHow to Have Style by Isaac MizrahiThe Gospel According to Coco Chanel by Karen KarboThe Style Checklist by Lloyd BostonStyle by Kate Spade
style
1st out of 20 books — 6 voters
Bohemian Manifesto by Laren StoverThe Bombshell Manual of Style by Laren StoverSex and the Single Girl by Helen Gurley BrownHow To Be A Party Girl by Pat MontandonClass by Paul Fussell
How To Be
2nd out of 16 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Nov 28, 2015 Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every bombshells hidden within
description

The Bombshell Manual of Style feels like a velvety cupcake. And it's a great boost for your inner bombshell.
This is the one book that I reread every few months and it makes me smile every time.
Kelley A.
Feb 14, 2008 Kelley A. rated it really liked it
I like to drape myself over furniture and drink champagne at inappropriate times. Sleep nude and wear bright red lipstick. Make an entrance as opposed to just enter. And leave 'em wanting more. If you do too, pick this up. It just helps to know we aren't alone.
Heather Rudulph
Jun 21, 2007 Heather Rudulph rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All women with an inner bombshell
Laren Stover perfectly captures what it is to be a bombshell. I saw myself in this book and it made me feel fabulous! I pick it up every time I need a boost of bombshell confidence.
Nicole
Apr 29, 2007 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: random
For those who turn on TCM only to bask in the glow of classic actors and actresses. Entertaining insights, and worth picking up for the illustrations alone.
Rykia
Jan 14, 2014 Rykia rated it it was ok
I first heard about this book when reading Stover's "Bohemian Manifesto" and was excited at the prospect of the Bombshell version of that. For those of you who may not have yet read Boho Manifesto, it breaks bohemians down into several different categories, gives a basic overview of that bohemian's approach to life, art, love, style, etc.

What you get with "The Bombshell Manual of Style" is a much more shallow approach. Surely not every bombshell is the same? But according to these, Bombshells ar
Kelsie Ravenkroft
Apr 10, 2011 Kelsie Ravenkroft rated it it was amazing
As a lover of retro fashion and old movies, I adored this book! Despite the fact that the title/concept is a bit of a joke, the book actually has some valuable commentary on life as a woman mixed in with the silly bits.
Tess
Apr 25, 2007 Tess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Someone who needs some fluff
This book definately isn't cerebral, but it's enjoyable and fluffy. Full of tips and stories on being a bombshell, from the clothing, to the boyfriends, to the makeup. Like I said, nothing deep, but enjoyable and silly to read.
Elizabeth
Apr 11, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I recently reread this book, and while it did not strike me the same way it did when I was 16, I still have fantasies about being a bombshell, however, the open toed shoes are very impractical for this climate.
Jillian
Oct 28, 2009 Jillian rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, humor
Cute book, but really, I can't live in granny panties like Marilyn Monroe.
Myridian
Apr 04, 2012 Myridian rated it liked it
Shelves: beauty-fashion
I'm giving this book three stars solely on the merit of the illustrations. I remember checking this book out from the library years ago and falling in love with Toledo's exuberant women; and I love them just as much now. The text is another matter completely. I can't decide is Stover is celebrating bombshells or making fun of them. Maybe it's a little bit of both.

This book is basically a list of, "bombshells like this; bombshells don't like this. Bombshells do this; bombshells don't do this," b
Imani
Mar 15, 2014 Imani rated it it was amazing
SO GLAMOROUS! For all those girls who want to live the life of a old Hollywood movie star this book will show you how. It tells you fashion and beauty tips and much, much, more. I am always reading this book. It is just FABULOUS!
Alaa
Nov 24, 2014 Alaa rated it liked it
للي يحب الجمال الكلاسيكي ومعجب بممثلات الخمسينات كتاب ممتع وابداً ما بتأخذ كلامه بجديه ..ينفع كتاب ما قبل النوم^_^
Annie
Jun 25, 2009 Annie rated it it was amazing
I am not a feminine woman, so I originally bought this book to laugh at the ludicrous things I was expecting to read. But it was entertaining and enlightening. There are quotes from different bombshells, and sections on nearly every part of a bombshell's life. The best part about this book however is that while they tell you what a bombshell is, they apply no pressure for you to change your life all around to become one. They are simply trying to let you know why Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell, Ki ...more
Molly
May 09, 2015 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: fashion
This book should come with a warning: Do not open until payday. Because it will make you want to rush out and blow your last ever-loving dime on a retro party dress, three-inch heels and a foofy purse.

Stover invites you to consider what kind of Bombshell you are, in the same tone she might ask you your preference for tea: Lana or Liz? Marilyn, maybe Ava?

She makes you want to wear rhinestones and color your hair.

So enjoy, but proceed with caution: the Bombshell lifestyle doesn't come cheap. But
Pamela
Mar 03, 2011 Pamela rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for my bombshell little sister, but I kept it. :) While I think I enjoyed The Bohemian Manifesto more because I could relate to it, The Bombshell Manual of Style is still up there with my favorite books. I do think that every woman can relate with aspects of ths book. I feel that this should be a must read on every woman's reading list. While reading this I thought: "ugh, I want to be a bombshell!" Haha. :D
The illustrations are beautiful. The book is fun to read and each page
Ana
Feb 20, 2011 Ana rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book ages ago but so much of it has stuck with me. Its filled with beautiful illustrations by Ruben Toledo and anecdotes about the habits of classic beauties, I loved this book. I was particularly taken with the section about classic perfumes that has inspired my own hunt for the perfect fragrance. I also remember the tip not to carry your purse on your shoulder because its bad for your back. If you love style and classic good (girly) looks this is a great resource for finding your i ...more
Michelle
Jan 31, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-hoot
It turns out I am a bombshell! Who knew!?
Kate
Jun 20, 2009 Kate rated it liked it
A nice collection of classic Hollywood glamour, but a little too dramatic for a girl looking for real protocol. I may be a brunette, but I've never had a tantrum as the book would have you believe. Sometimes it feels as though the author could not decided what type of book they were trying to write, mingling the ultra luxurious with the the bottom barrel; JCPenny underwear next to La Perla? For the genre this book falls into, there are better books out there.
Cassie
Mar 24, 2014 Cassie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fashionistas
Recommended to Cassie by: Kia
This manual is much less about embracing the bombshell inside you, but a how-to guide of copying the bombshells of the past. It wasn't so much about creating an original style within a person, but about a cut-and-paste attitude of what to eat, wear, say, listen to, and like. It's an interesting read, but not necessarily something I will take to heart, like some of Stover's other works. It seemed very shallow, when it could have been so much more.
Rita
Aug 10, 2012 Rita rated it really liked it
This book was very entertaining and made me want to know these women better. This author does a great job at inspiring readers to do further research into areas people may have not known they were interested in yet. I would also suggest reading her book Bohemian Manifesto.
Brittnee
May 23, 2016 Brittnee rated it it was ok
This is a fluff piece. I would recommend this to a person looking for a few new perfumes to try.
Julia
Nov 06, 2010 Julia rated it really liked it
This is a fun little book on how to be a fabulous, larger than life, bombshell. By bombshell they mean someone who is confident in herself, and her style, regardless of what fashion dictates. I really adored this book and the illustrations are incredibly charming.
Marion
Apr 26, 2007 Marion rated it did not like it
I'm not really sure how I came to flip through this book. But it's possibly the worst thing ever published. Not that any of you would ever be tempted to pick it up, but you also might consider avoiding people who know people who like this book!
Melody Walker
Jun 14, 2016 Melody Walker rated it really liked it
If you enjoy TCM & admire the actresses of the past, you will find this book entertaining & love reading it: it doesn't hurt if you love drinking champagne & putting on your signature lipstick. It is definitely for a certain kind of woman!
May 03, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves classic style
This book is fun and quirky for those women who wish to show of their inner bombshell through their actions and their style. The little illustrations show off the books fun side through a somewhat serious look through how to live.
Bridget
Oct 01, 2011 Bridget rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is an inspiration on how to be a old school woman in this modern day world. And to add to the wonder of this marvelous read is the wonderful illustrations. I so wish I could get a few for my home.
Andreea
Jan 28, 2016 Andreea rated it really liked it
Reread this book on my New Year's vacation. It's an easy read, it's funny, cosy and so damn fluffy! The illustrations are lovely and now I want to rewatch a bunch of films with the women featured in the book.
Sep 04, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This book just made me laugh! It was so much fun to read, and the illustrations were absolutely charming!

I highly recommend it to anyone searching for their own inner bombshell. ;)
Colleen
Jun 20, 2013 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Given to me by a friend who knows me well. I loved, loved, loved this book, and read it again every few years. As an aging bombshell, I loose touch with unreality sometimes and this brings it back!
Ashley
Aug 30, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
This was a breeze of a read. Funny. Full of excellent suggestions of things to try, music, movies, shoes, handbags, you name it. If you want to glamorize your life a little this book can help.
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less
  • Classy: Exceptional Advice for the Extremely Modern Lady
  • Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style
  • InStyle: Instant Style: Your Season-by-Season Guide for Work and Weekend
  • Entre Nous: A Woman's Guide To Finding Her Inner French Girl
  • The Goddess Guide
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
A classically trained artist with literary DNA, Laren Stover writes fiction and nonfiction. She is editor-at-large of Faerie Magazine and writes for several publications including The New York Observer and The New York Times.
Laren's first style book The Bombshell Manual of Style (Hyperion), illustrated by Ruben Toledo, was pivotal in exploding Bombshell consciousness into a popular genre of its o
More about Laren Stover...