Things I Want to Punch in the Face

Things I Want to Punch in the Face

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Things That Chap My Hide
things I want to punch in the face: 1) a humorous way to convey annoyance or frustration over those little things in life that bug; 2) petty peeves warranting a tongue-in-cheek lashing but involving no physical retribution; 3) an expression made wildly popular by the blog Things I Want to Punch in the Face.
Synonyms: chap your hide, get your goat, ru...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Prospect Park Books

Colleen
True confessions: I'm the publisher. So of course I love this book. I was a fan of Jennifer Worick's blog first, and it made me laugh so consistently that I had to find her and publish a book. It's smart and opinionated and colorful and funny, and it's a great gift for just $12. I don't agree with every Punch-- I happen to like New Yorker cartoons, for instance-- but I love that she calls such a diverse array of annoyances on the carpet. Great therapy.
Chris
I have enjoyed Jennifer Worick's site of the same name for years, now. She's taken the art of the pet peeve to a cosmic level. Now, there's a portable collection of Worick's rants. Encompassing a variety of peeves which can only be considered epic in their scope, from 'Molly Ringwald's Prom Dress in Pretty In Pink', to, 'Prolific Dead People', to, 'Naked Pregnancy Portraits', this companionable tome will not only remind you of how detestable things like the 'IKEA Habitrail', or, 'Mercury In Retr...more
Ryan
For starters, I received this book as a First Reads giveaway.

Wow, let's just say that had I not received this book for free, I would have been seriously disappointed, and wanted my money back. Priced at $11.95, for something that took me an hour to read, because it starts on page 13 and is only 125 pages long, this book is overpriced at just over $0.09 a page. As it turns out, the ebook versions are only a few dollars cheaper, which is even more of a ripoff. My recommendation is don't waste your...more
Lisa Koch
While reading Jennifer Worick's "Things I Want to Punch in the Face", I made the mistake of taking a drink of coffee. While in mid-slurp, I snorted and ended up with a most of my morning joe on my shirt. Funny, clever, cranky. Except now I want to punch my book in the face...
Allie
First things first: I received this book as a goodreads First Read.
Good, that's out of the way.

That being said, I was pretty freaking excited when this lil' gem appeared in my mailbox! There are multiple people/places/things I would like to punch in the face, so I figured that Jennifer and I would connect on that "very disgruntled female" level.

Connect we did. Many of the things that Jennifer wants to punch in the face are also things that I also believe deserve a good beating (like business...more
Colemccade
Jan 31, 2014 Colemccade added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF. The ebook really doesn't display well for Nook HD, with the graphical elements not really aligning properly and often completely messing up the format and layout, with the text scrunched into 1/4 of the page, odd hyphen breaks inappropriately placed in words, and the footers often splitting the text into three pages.
Kate
I really wanted to love this.
I was just coming off of a couple super depressing books, and I needed something light and fun.
I got this as an audiobook to listen to in the car, and I was decidedly underwhelmed.
There were a few categories that were really great: Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker, and Mr. Darcy stood out for me. And my hands-down favorite was Molly Ringwald's Prom Dress in Pretty in Pink.
But some...really? You want to punch Chai Tea in the face? And Steampunk? Tennis bracelet...more
Tif
Mar 18, 2013 Tif rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Too bad Jennifer Worick doesn't want to punch the over-use of puns in the face. Also, it turns out that I don't really like reading books about what other people hate. I don't share the author's bitterness over most of the things in the book and she came off sounding like an unpleasant, self-absorbed person.
Heather
I'm already a fan of the blog and am loving the number of fists rating system for how many punches in the face any one thing deserves. Ms. Worick's irreverent sense of humor makes me belly laugh. As an added bonus you get to learn fun facts while you're chuckling! Do yourself a favor and read it!
Marjorie
first - bitch stole my idea....that chaps my hide. second - now I know there is an audience for rants and maybe I'll start my own blog and write my own book and make hundreds of hundreds of dollars. and some cents.

I want to punch her in the face for writing MY book.

dammit.
Yoly
Ranting with style. She's funny :)
Jill
I won this book in a raffle at a work party. It’s not a novel. It’s simply a list of 102 things that piss this chick off in one way or another. She has a five-fist rating for each thing that she describes like this:

One fist is annoying, like a mild rash. Two is aggravating, like a black eye. Three is disgusting, like an open sore. Four is toxic, like acid reflux or IBS. Five is permanently damaged, like my patience.

I was amused before I even started reading what bugged her.

Obviously, not every j...more
jv poore
As quirky and funny as the title would have you believe, there were also couple of pleasant surprises as well. I felt that if the "things" lived up to the title, this would be a groovy little 3-star book. I would enjoy it, maybe have a laugh, then move on.

But, wait.....There's more!

First, with each annoyance, there is a quick, simple fact. What?!?! Laughing AND learning? Good times.

Next, the title becomes a mind-set, a mantra, if you will. When my 8-year old son saw this book, he cracked up at...more
Nicole
At first, this book was really exciting and funny. "What a great idea!" I thought. But, after a few chapters it just began to grate on my nerves. I mean, we get the point - there is a lot of dumb stuff out there and people are stupid, but it's just depressing to sit around and name them all. That said, it IS funny and will make you sds things in a new light. I'd recommend it as a coffee table book to ignite discussion or a light book to read one or two topics at a time.
Jojo
A delightfully funny book good for when you're waiting on line or a simple quick read. It is mainly comprised of little "essays" on the irritating things in life. The writing is easy and clear. She has little captions of fun facts, some of which are admittedly more interesting than the others.

I would like to point out that this book is probably not meant to be read in one sitting. She makes a lot of references to punching things and generally silly violence that would easily get old if you read...more
Dale Pearl
not worth the $11.00 price tag. I refuse to give this book any type of review aside from don't read it save your money to buy 2 or 3 books that you will enjoy substantially more.
Ryan Johnson
This blog turned book was moderately entertaining. Her examples of scorn were modern and fresh, although I imagine a reader a few years from now won't get some of the references. Some of the topics were quite funny, others firmly mediocre. The style of the book made for a quick read but the format got old quick.

This title would made a great travel read to keep you occupied on a flight, when you can't always focus on seething of more weight. I also feel that the "book" wasn't the best format cho...more
Emily
Nov 08, 2012 Emily rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Not my cup of tea, I guess. And not only because the author goes off on a pretty irrational rant about hating chai tea (how is tea offensive?) but because it's really just a book full of the author complaining about random things. I suppose it's supposed to be funny, but in my reading mostly just the first-world-problem whining came through.
Samantha
Didn't finish this book. Read the first part and wanted to punch this book in the face. Lame and whiny.
Jessica
I wanted to love this, and there are bits that are funny, but as a whole I was disappointed. Her blog is funnier, maybe because it seems more current. This book seems like it's on the brink of being a collection of out dated one-liners. Close but no cigar.
Beth Gordon
Some of these essays are humorous - not necessarily in the ha ha way, but more in the hmmmm...yeah, you're right, I totally agree type of way.

I would have expected more topics to have been included. Overall, a decent but very quick read.

Clacie
Like Jennifer Worick, I also have a list of things I want to punch in the face. We even share a few of them. This super short book was a quick fun read (listen). I found myself laughing out loud & nodding along throughout.
Ashley
I couldn't handle more than a fourth of this book. Since I often want to punch things in the face, I thought I would get a kick out of it. But it really just came across as whiny, not funny.
Amanda
Hee hee... Things I want to punch in the face includes namaste and jazz music... An alphabetized list of pet peeves with a face punching ranking system - entertaining!
Kerry
I like my anger to be served in a certain way. Bitter, cynical, sarcastic anger. Not mean, whiny, complaining anger. That's all this was. Blegk.
Lynda Rodriguez
A fun read, although I was surprised to find that the things she wants to punch in the face don't really bother ME much at all.
Aubrey
For someone who often quips of punching things/people in the face, this was disappointing. Oh well, at least it was quick.
Marie
There were funny bits, but sometimes I wanted to punch this book in the face. Favorite: eau de ho.
Akari

Hmmm some of it was relevant, others not as much but hahaha pretty on the point!
Sarra
Awful. Absolutely awful. Aggressively unfunny and so poorly written.
  • The Onion Book of Known Knowledge: Mankind's Final Encyclopedia From America's Finest News Source
  • K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of Terrible Advice
  • Beastly Tales...or something of that nature
  • The Last Myth: What the Rise of Apocalyptic Thinking Tells Us about America
  • Story Starters: A Workbook for Writers
  • Little Flower: Recipes from the Cafe
  • Petroplague
  • Getting Out of Jersey (Undead-Earth, #1)
  • The Elements of Expression: Putting Thoughts into Words
  • Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay
  • Women Will Save the World
  • The Diet Dropout’s Guide to Natural Weight Loss: Find Your Easiest Path to Naturally Thin
  • Meet Your Happy Chemicals: Dopamine, Endorphin, Oxytocin, Serotonin
  • The Adventures of Little Nutbrown Hare
  • Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop: And Other Practical Advice in Our Campaign Against the Fairy Kingdom
  • The Three Princesses
  • The Art of War
  • The Doctrine of Venus
I write. That’s rather obvious. Mostly I write about things that blow my skirt up. Humor is a big—huge—part of everything I do. But then there’s that soft, squishy sentimental part of me that can’t help but rear its heartfelt head. And since I like to tell people what to do every chance I get, I write a lot of how-to books, blogs, and articles.

Humorous. Heartfelt. How-to. Three great tastes that t...more
More about Jennifer Worick...
The Prairie Girl's Guide to Life: How to Sew a Sampler Quilt & 49 Other Pioneer Projects for the Modern Girl The Action Heroine's Handbook The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: College Nancy Drew's Guide To Life Backcountry Betty: Roughing It in Style