Start by marking “Things I Want to Punch in the Face” as Want to Read:
Things I Want to Punch in the Face

Things I Want to Punch in the Face

2.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  259 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Things That Chap My Hide
things I want to punch in the face: 1) a humorous way to convey annoyance or frustration over those little things in life that bug; 2) petty peeves warranting a tongue-in-cheek lashing but involving no physical retribution; 3) an expression made wildly popular by the blog Things I Want to Punch in the Face.
Synonyms: chap your hide, get your goat, ru
Published October 1st 2012 by Prospect Park Books

To ask other readers questions about Things I Want to Punch in the Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things I Want to Punch in the Face

Ryan
Dec 10, 2012 Ryan rated it it was ok
For starters, I received this book as a First Reads giveaway.

Wow, let's just say that had I not received this book for free, I would have been seriously disappointed, and wanted my money back. Priced at $11.95, for something that took me an hour to read, because it starts on page 13 and is only 125 pages long, this book is overpriced at just over $0.09 a page. As it turns out, the ebook versions are only a few dollars cheaper, which is even more of a ripoff. My recommendation is don't waste your
Colleen
Aug 28, 2012 Colleen rated it it was amazing
True confessions: I'm the publisher. So of course I love this book. I was a fan of Jennifer Worick's blog first, and it made me laugh so consistently that I had to find her and publish a book. It's smart and opinionated and colorful and funny, and it's a great gift for just $12. I don't agree with every Punch-- I happen to like New Yorker cartoons, for instance-- but I love that she calls such a diverse array of annoyances on the carpet. Great therapy.
Chris
Oct 01, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed Jennifer Worick's site of the same name for years, now. She's taken the art of the pet peeve to a cosmic level. Now, there's a portable collection of Worick's rants. Encompassing a variety of peeves which can only be considered epic in their scope, from 'Molly Ringwald's Prom Dress in Pretty In Pink', to, 'Prolific Dead People', to, 'Naked Pregnancy Portraits', this companionable tome will not only remind you of how detestable things like the 'IKEA Habitrail', or, 'Mercury In Retr ...more
 One Curvy Blogger

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

A couple of weeks ago, I was having a bad day. I can’t remember why but probably because of something insignificant that irritated me until I was steaming – yeah, I can be a bitch sometimes. I was about to start doing the dishes and decided I needed an audiobook to keep me company. I browsed through my public library’s online audiobooks and came across Things I Want to Punch in the Face. It sounded perfect for my mood. I downloaded it and t
Tif
Mar 18, 2013 Tif rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
Too bad Jennifer Worick doesn't want to punch the over-use of puns in the face. Also, it turns out that I don't really like reading books about what other people hate. I don't share the author's bitterness over most of the things in the book and she came off sounding like an unpleasant, self-absorbed person.
Judy
Nov 03, 2014 Judy rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
When this book first came out someone recommended it to me and I wish I could remember who that was so I could go punch him/her in the face. I like a good rant with comedic value but this was just one bitchy whine after another over piddly little BS things. If I wanted that I'd go visit relatives.
Marjorie
Aug 08, 2013 Marjorie rated it really liked it
first - bitch stole my idea....that chaps my hide. second - now I know there is an audience for rants and maybe I'll start my own blog and write my own book and make hundreds of hundreds of dollars. and some cents.

I want to punch her in the face for writing MY book.

dammit.
Lisa Koch
Nov 10, 2012 Lisa Koch rated it it was amazing
While reading Jennifer Worick's "Things I Want to Punch in the Face", I made the mistake of taking a drink of coffee. While in mid-slurp, I snorted and ended up with a most of my morning joe on my shirt. Funny, clever, cranky. Except now I want to punch my book in the face...
Allie
Oct 09, 2012 Allie rated it really liked it
First things first: I received this book as a goodreads First Read.
Good, that's out of the way.

That being said, I was pretty freaking excited when this lil' gem appeared in my mailbox! There are multiple people/places/things I would like to punch in the face, so I figured that Jennifer and I would connect on that "very disgruntled female" level.

Connect we did. Many of the things that Jennifer wants to punch in the face are also things that I also believe deserve a good beating (like business
Wild1
Apr 15, 2015 Wild1 rated it it was ok
Good for a few giggles in agreement - made up business words, duck face selfies, parking space hogs (grrrr) & tantards is definitely a new entry to my vocabulary - people wearing full make up & jewellery on the beach (should also be applied to those in the gym).
Although biggest chuckle was at an American getting annoyed at people who mispronounce words - erm...aluminium, basil, oregano....lol
Cole McCade
Jan 31, 2014 Cole McCade added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF. The ebook really doesn't display well for Nook HD, with the graphical elements not really aligning properly and often completely messing up the format and layout, with the text scrunched into 1/4 of the page, odd hyphen breaks inappropriately placed in words, and the footers often splitting the text into three pages.
Michelle
Oct 19, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
I didn't technically read this, I listened to the audio book on a long road trip. This is LAUGH OUT LOUD funny shit.
I think Jennifer and I would instantly be friends and I'd be curious to know which one of us would drop the 'F' bomb first.
Jennifer's rants include things that bug the crap out of us but we just don't say or do anything about it. If only we could they would likely sound exactly like how she describes it.
Here are some of my favorite rants and some new wordisms I'm going to have to u
Kate
Feb 11, 2014 Kate rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this.
I was just coming off of a couple super depressing books, and I needed something light and fun.
I got this as an audiobook to listen to in the car, and I was decidedly underwhelmed.
There were a few categories that were really great: Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker, and Mr. Darcy stood out for me. And my hands-down favorite was Molly Ringwald's Prom Dress in Pretty in Pink.
But some...really? You want to punch Chai Tea in the face? And Steampunk? Tennis bracelet
Kathy Stone
I read this during a stressful weekend when I felt like I was being thrown out of my home. This was the perfect book for my mood that weekend as there were many things that I wanted to punch in the face at that time.

One of Worick's complaints is families with alliterative first names. While this can be quite annoying I find the Duggars annoying for many other reasons. I never like the show. The first and only episode that I ever watched in its entirety was a vacation the family took to Californi
Heather
Sep 15, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: lmao
I'm already a fan of the blog and am loving the number of fists rating system for how many punches in the face any one thing deserves. Ms. Worick's irreverent sense of humor makes me belly laugh. As an added bonus you get to learn fun facts while you're chuckling! Do yourself a favor and read it!
Jaka Kun
Feb 04, 2016 Jaka Kun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Tal cual, Jennifer Worick hizo una lista de cosas que le molestaban, la puso en orden alfabético y se puso a escribir sobre cada una.

Sí hubo VARIAS cosas en las que me identifiqué y reí porque, neta, ¿DOS ESPACIOS DE ESTACIONAMIENTO? Pero había varias cosas que eran muy personales que sentí como desentonadas con el tono general del libro. Tal vez hubiera estado bien si el libro tuviera ese enfoque anecdótico, platicando de sus desventuras personales de una manera graciosa.

De mi lista faltó la ge
Kerry
I like my anger to be served in a certain way. Bitter, cynical, sarcastic anger. Not mean, whiny, complaining anger. That's all this was. Blegk.
Aimee
Dec 30, 2015 Aimee rated it did not like it
Unlike Meghan Rowland's hilarious "It Seemed Like a Good Idea ..." this book was a huge disappointment.
It was very obvious it was blog-based. Being blog-based is not by itself a bad thing, but being obvious about it most certainly is.
Worick presents a long, alphabetized list of things she loathes so much she wants to punch them, from the orange crud that Cheetos leave on your fingers and clothes to chai to so-called comfort shoes to stupid celebrity baby names. Fair enough. (Though I happen to h
Yoly
Nov 06, 2013 Yoly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ranting with style. She's funny :)
Jill
Feb 09, 2013 Jill rated it liked it
I won this book in a raffle at a work party. It’s not a novel. It’s simply a list of 102 things that piss this chick off in one way or another. She has a five-fist rating for each thing that she describes like this:

One fist is annoying, like a mild rash. Two is aggravating, like a black eye. Three is disgusting, like an open sore. Four is toxic, like acid reflux or IBS. Five is permanently damaged, like my patience.

I was amused before I even started reading what bugged her.

Obviously, not every j
jv poore
Nov 12, 2013 jv poore rated it really liked it
As quirky and funny as the title would have you believe, there were also couple of pleasant surprises as well. I felt that if the "things" lived up to the title, this would be a groovy little 3-star book. I would enjoy it, maybe have a laugh, then move on.

But, wait.....There's more!

First, with each annoyance, there is a quick, simple fact. What?!?! Laughing AND learning? Good times.

Next, the title becomes a mind-set, a mantra, if you will. When my 8-year old son saw this book, he cracked up at
Nicole
Apr 08, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it
At first, this book was really exciting and funny. "What a great idea!" I thought. But, after a few chapters it just began to grate on my nerves. I mean, we get the point - there is a lot of dumb stuff out there and people are stupid, but it's just depressing to sit around and name them all. That said, it IS funny and will make you sds things in a new light. I'd recommend it as a coffee table book to ignite discussion or a light book to read one or two topics at a time.
May
Jan 03, 2016 May rated it it was ok
This will probably earn me a punch rating of three, but I did not like this book as much as I thought I would. I enjoy a rant as much as the next guy, but this book descended into the realms of whining more than once. Also, the author clearly possesses a strong vocabulary and is bright, which makes her reliance on profanity all the more disappointing to me. The best lines of the book were a result of the clever twist of a phrase, not the vulgar expressions sprinkled liberally throughout the enti ...more
Marcia
Sep 14, 2014 Marcia rated it liked it
I like humor, but not mean-spirited humor. The premise here is fine--what annoys you so much you just want to punch it. Ok--kiddie beauty pagents, new age parents who let their kids run wild in Trader Joe's, pretentious coffee house regulars ... I get it. But her delivery is unlikeable, and rating the punch from 1-5 was really annoying. The gimmick ran amuck, leaving decent material floundering for a laugh.
Pamela
Apr 03, 2016 Pamela rated it did not like it
I'm not going to add this to my list of books read this year because I just couldn't make it through more than a handful of the essays. I picked it out as a light listen I could have on while working. It was awful, though, and I had to stop to pick something else out. I have no intention of trying to listen again, or trying the text copy. She's just not funny.
Michelle
Jan 02, 2016 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started this audio book thinking something humorous would be good to listen to while I ran errands this morning. Unfortunately, the humor of this book was lost on me. Perhaps in paper format it comes off better but in audio it felt like driving around with a person who would not stop complaining.
After about 40 minutes, I decided to quit listening.
Soubhi
Pretty funny, even though I actually like most of the things the author is mad at.
Shoeless homes? That's me- less cleaning, and feels better on my feet.
Burning man? I'm all about it, although I haven't been yet I'd love to go someday.
Chai? Delicious!
Namaste? Yeah, I say it and mean it.

Still, the author is funny.
Becky Straub
Most of the way through listening to this my husband and I were sure the author was in her early 20's and had just not learned to deal with other people well. Nope, she's in her 40's. Some items we agreed with, but her gripes about other people's choices that didn't affect her were really juvenile.
Mari
Sep 01, 2015 Mari rated it really liked it
This is a good book with a clever "punch" rating! It delves into what some of the irritating things we face in our daily lives. And I love the facts that are given in the inserts-many things I didn't know! Thank you for letting me win this book, it's very enjoyable and in some stretch tells our story too.
Sawyer X
Mar 24, 2015 Sawyer X rated it it was ok
A few funny observations and some shared exasperation. But after those few, it gets tired quickly and I found myself sighing "yes, I guess that's kind of annoying too".

Soon enough I found myself realizing this sounds like a much younger me that I would want to punch in the face instead of listening to.
  • The Muffin Tin Cookbook: 200 Fast, Delicious Mini-Pies, Pasta Cups, Gourmet Pockets, Veggie Cakes, and More!
  • Hymnal for Dirty Girls
  • Zombie Apocalypse Preparation: How to Survive in an Undead World and Have Fun Doing It!
  • The Last Myth: What the Rise of Apocalyptic Thinking Tells Us about America
  • The Onion Book of Known Knowledge: Mankind's Final Encyclopedia From America's Finest News Source
  • Little Flower: Recipes from the Cafe
  • Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay
  • To Wander The Labyrinth
  • Down Aisle Ten
  • The Right to Be Wrong: Ending the Culture War Over Religion in America
  • A Ghost Hunter's Guide to The Most Haunted Places in America (Most Haunted, #1)
  • Gaston's Secret
  • The World Atlas of Beer: The Essential Guide to the Beers of the World
I write. That’s rather obvious. Mostly I write about things that blow my skirt up. Humor is a big—huge—part of everything I do. But then there’s that soft, squishy sentimental part of me that can’t help but rear its heartfelt head. And since I like to tell people what to do every chance I get, I write a lot of how-to books, blogs, and articles.

Humorous. Heartfelt. How-to. Three great tastes that t
More about Jennifer Worick...