Start by marking “Things I Want to Punch in the Face” as Want to Read:
Things I Want to Punch in the Face

Things I Want to Punch in the Face

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Things That Chap My Hide
things I want to punch in the face: 1) a humorous way to convey annoyance or frustration over those little things in life that bug; 2) petty peeves warranting a tongue-in-cheek lashing but involving no physical retribution; 3) an expression made wildly popular by the blog Things I Want to Punch in the Face.
Synonyms: chap your hide, get your goat, ru
Published October 1st 2012 by Prospect Park Books

To ask other readers questions about Things I Want to Punch in the Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things I Want to Punch in the Face

Colleen
True confessions: I'm the publisher. So of course I love this book. I was a fan of Jennifer Worick's blog first, and it made me laugh so consistently that I had to find her and publish a book. It's smart and opinionated and colorful and funny, and it's a great gift for just $12. I don't agree with every Punch-- I happen to like New Yorker cartoons, for instance-- but I love that she calls such a diverse array of annoyances on the carpet. Great therapy.
Ryan
For starters, I received this book as a First Reads giveaway.

Wow, let's just say that had I not received this book for free, I would have been seriously disappointed, and wanted my money back. Priced at $11.95, for something that took me an hour to read, because it starts on page 13 and is only 125 pages long, this book is overpriced at just over $0.09 a page. As it turns out, the ebook versions are only a few dollars cheaper, which is even more of a ripoff. My recommendation is don't waste your
Chris
I have enjoyed Jennifer Worick's site of the same name for years, now. She's taken the art of the pet peeve to a cosmic level. Now, there's a portable collection of Worick's rants. Encompassing a variety of peeves which can only be considered epic in their scope, from 'Molly Ringwald's Prom Dress in Pretty In Pink', to, 'Prolific Dead People', to, 'Naked Pregnancy Portraits', this companionable tome will not only remind you of how detestable things like the 'IKEA Habitrail', or, 'Mercury In Retr ...more
Tif
Mar 18, 2013 Tif rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Too bad Jennifer Worick doesn't want to punch the over-use of puns in the face. Also, it turns out that I don't really like reading books about what other people hate. I don't share the author's bitterness over most of the things in the book and she came off sounding like an unpleasant, self-absorbed person.
Lisa Koch
While reading Jennifer Worick's "Things I Want to Punch in the Face", I made the mistake of taking a drink of coffee. While in mid-slurp, I snorted and ended up with a most of my morning joe on my shirt. Funny, clever, cranky. Except now I want to punch my book in the face...
Allie
First things first: I received this book as a goodreads First Read.
Good, that's out of the way.

That being said, I was pretty freaking excited when this lil' gem appeared in my mailbox! There are multiple people/places/things I would like to punch in the face, so I figured that Jennifer and I would connect on that "very disgruntled female" level.

Connect we did. Many of the things that Jennifer wants to punch in the face are also things that I also believe deserve a good beating (like business
Wild1
Good for a few giggles in agreement - made up business words, duck face selfies, parking space hogs (grrrr) & tantards is definitely a new entry to my vocabulary - people wearing full make up & jewellery on the beach (should also be applied to those in the gym).
Although biggest chuckle was at an American getting annoyed at people who mispronounce words - erm...aluminium, basil, oregano....lol
Cole McCade
Jan 31, 2014 Cole McCade added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF. The ebook really doesn't display well for Nook HD, with the graphical elements not really aligning properly and often completely messing up the format and layout, with the text scrunched into 1/4 of the page, odd hyphen breaks inappropriately placed in words, and the footers often splitting the text into three pages.
Kate
I really wanted to love this.
I was just coming off of a couple super depressing books, and I needed something light and fun.
I got this as an audiobook to listen to in the car, and I was decidedly underwhelmed.
There were a few categories that were really great: Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker, and Mr. Darcy stood out for me. And my hands-down favorite was Molly Ringwald's Prom Dress in Pretty in Pink.
But some...really? You want to punch Chai Tea in the face? And Steampunk? Tennis bracelet
Judy
When this book first came out someone recommended it to me and I wish I could remember who that was so I could go punch him/her in the face. I like a good rant with comedic value but this was just one bitchy whine after another over piddly little BS things. If I wanted that I'd go visit relatives.
Heather
I'm already a fan of the blog and am loving the number of fists rating system for how many punches in the face any one thing deserves. Ms. Worick's irreverent sense of humor makes me belly laugh. As an added bonus you get to learn fun facts while you're chuckling! Do yourself a favor and read it!
Marjorie
first - bitch stole my idea....that chaps my hide. second - now I know there is an audience for rants and maybe I'll start my own blog and write my own book and make hundreds of hundreds of dollars. and some cents.

I want to punch her in the face for writing MY book.

dammit.
Kerry
I like my anger to be served in a certain way. Bitter, cynical, sarcastic anger. Not mean, whiny, complaining anger. That's all this was. Blegk.
Yoly
Ranting with style. She's funny :)
Jill
I won this book in a raffle at a work party. It’s not a novel. It’s simply a list of 102 things that piss this chick off in one way or another. She has a five-fist rating for each thing that she describes like this:

One fist is annoying, like a mild rash. Two is aggravating, like a black eye. Three is disgusting, like an open sore. Four is toxic, like acid reflux or IBS. Five is permanently damaged, like my patience.

I was amused before I even started reading what bugged her.

Obviously, not every j
jv poore
As quirky and funny as the title would have you believe, there were also couple of pleasant surprises as well. I felt that if the "things" lived up to the title, this would be a groovy little 3-star book. I would enjoy it, maybe have a laugh, then move on.

But, wait.....There's more!

First, with each annoyance, there is a quick, simple fact. What?!?! Laughing AND learning? Good times.

Next, the title becomes a mind-set, a mantra, if you will. When my 8-year old son saw this book, he cracked up at
Nicole
At first, this book was really exciting and funny. "What a great idea!" I thought. But, after a few chapters it just began to grate on my nerves. I mean, we get the point - there is a lot of dumb stuff out there and people are stupid, but it's just depressing to sit around and name them all. That said, it IS funny and will make you sds things in a new light. I'd recommend it as a coffee table book to ignite discussion or a light book to read one or two topics at a time.
Marcia
I like humor, but not mean-spirited humor. The premise here is fine--what annoys you so much you just want to punch it. Ok--kiddie beauty pagents, new age parents who let their kids run wild in Trader Joe's, pretentious coffee house regulars ... I get it. But her delivery is unlikeable, and rating the punch from 1-5 was really annoying. The gimmick ran amuck, leaving decent material floundering for a laugh.
Sawyer X
A few funny observations and some shared exasperation. But after those few, it gets tired quickly and I found myself sighing "yes, I guess that's kind of annoying too".

Soon enough I found myself realizing this sounds like a much younger me that I would want to punch in the face instead of listening to.
Keith
I read a decent amount of comedy books where comedians will complain about various different things in humorous ways, so this format isn't new to me. Worick can be funny occasionally, but she quickly ran out of interesting ways to work in her "punch in the face" theme and after the first dozen or so "things" I wanted to punch her in the face more than whatever it was she was complaining about. The other thing that I felt like she lacked was finding those things that annoy you, but you feel like ...more
Jojo
A delightfully funny book good for when you're waiting on line or a simple quick read. It is mainly comprised of little "essays" on the irritating things in life. The writing is easy and clear. She has little captions of fun facts, some of which are admittedly more interesting than the others.

I would like to point out that this book is probably not meant to be read in one sitting. She makes a lot of references to punching things and generally silly violence that would easily get old if you read
Samm
Mar 07, 2015 Samm rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
This was one of the few audio books I've attempted and have actually gotten through. Sure, there were definitely some highly pretentious moments but overall I found it quite entertaining.
Dale Pearl
not worth the $11.00 price tag. I refuse to give this book any type of review aside from don't read it save your money to buy 2 or 3 books that you will enjoy substantially more.
Eva-lynn
Really quite funny and engaging. I use audiobooks while I work {fiber artist] but get lost in my own thoughts more often than not. This held my attention for the entirety. Short chapters with topics that will make you "lol".
Ryan Johnson
This blog turned book was moderately entertaining. Her examples of scorn were modern and fresh, although I imagine a reader a few years from now won't get some of the references. Some of the topics were quite funny, others firmly mediocre. The style of the book made for a quick read but the format got old quick.

This title would made a great travel read to keep you occupied on a flight, when you can't always focus on seething of more weight. I also feel that the "book" wasn't the best format cho
Meghan
So funny! Nice easy listening while I was driving in a blizzard to Detroit.
Brittney Reed
I alternately scoffed at the author's assholishness and rolled my eyes at the idea of a grown woman having that much spare time to be passionately angry about Cheetos dust.
Emily
Nov 08, 2012 Emily rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Not my cup of tea, I guess. And not only because the author goes off on a pretty irrational rant about hating chai tea (how is tea offensive?) but because it's really just a book full of the author complaining about random things. I suppose it's supposed to be funny, but in my reading mostly just the first-world-problem whining came through.
Karen
Jan 02, 2015 Karen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, sus
I went into this thinking it would be similar to People I Want to Punch in the Throat- which I loved- but it definitely isn't. I see how this works as a blog- it's best taken in very small doses. Whereas I thought I would pick it up and read it through in an hour, the forced negativity just turned me off, so I read a few entries a day.
  • Hymnal for Dirty Girls
  • The Muffin Tin Cookbook: 200 Fast, Delicious Mini-Pies, Pasta Cups, Gourmet Pockets, Veggie Cakes, and More!
  • Zombie Apocalypse Preparation: How to Survive in an Undead World and Have Fun Doing It!
  • The Onion Book of Known Knowledge: Mankind's Final Encyclopedia From America's Finest News Source
  • The Last Myth: What the Rise of Apocalyptic Thinking Tells Us about America
  • Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay
  • Vulture Verses: Love Poems for the Unloved
  • The Right to Be Wrong: Ending the Culture War Over Religion in America
  • Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop: And Other Practical Advice in Our Campaign Against the Fairy Kingdom
  • K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of Terrible Advice
  • Little Flower: Recipes from the Cafe
  • CraftFail: When Homemade Goes Horribly Wrong
  • Pot Psychology's How to Be: Lowbrow Advice from High People
  • Story Starters: A Workbook for Writers
  • A Ghost Hunter's Guide to The Most Haunted Places in America (Most Haunted, #1)
  • The Craptastic Guide to Pseudo-Swearing
  • The Elements of Expression: Putting Thoughts into Words, revised
  • The Disciples of Goedric: A Trilogy
I write. That’s rather obvious. Mostly I write about things that blow my skirt up. Humor is a big—huge—part of everything I do. But then there’s that soft, squishy sentimental part of me that can’t help but rear its heartfelt head. And since I like to tell people what to do every chance I get, I write a lot of how-to books, blogs, and articles.

Humorous. Heartfelt. How-to. Three great tastes that t
More about Jennifer Worick...
The Prairie Girl's Guide to Life: How to Sew a Sampler Quilt & 49 Other Pioneer Projects for the Modern Girl The Action Heroine's Handbook The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: College Nancy Drew's Guide To Life Backcountry Betty: Roughing It in Style