Start by marking “Chloe Does Yale” as Want to Read:
Chloe Does Yale

Chloe Does Yale

Go back to college with Natalie Krinsky in this frothy, first novel from the sex columnist for the Yale Daily News, now in paperbackChloe Carrington is a typical Yale student, except that along with toiling through the usual grind of coursework, she pens a notorious and much dished-over sex column for the campus newspaper. This touch of scandal has wrought havoc on her soc ...more
Published March 15th 2006 by Hyperion (first published March 2nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Chloe Does Yale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chloe Does Yale

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Not a romance novel. Not even a novel really. Chloe is a Yale undergrad who writes a column for the Yale paper. Many of the columns appear here. Spacing between the columns are vignettes of her college life. My big thought was that Chloe doesn't get nearly enough for someone who writes a sex column. She seems rather uptight about several sex discussions. I don't know, I felt at times like the author was bragging about what she'd done. At other times it seemed like she was saying what she wished ...more
Ra-ra-ra-rachel
Dec 28, 2008 Ra-ra-ra-rachel rated it it was ok
Honestly, this book was so obvious, I was even able to predict that there were going to be 10 chapters. I guessed the author of the "emails" immediately. Also, if I would have known that Yale and its classes were so easy ... I would have applied.

This is supposed to be marketed towards fiction. However, the author ALSO wrote the sex column for the Yale newspaper. So, why not make it a memoir? Is her life that uneventful that she can't just make a memoir about herself? Weird.

The stories were very
Lindsay
Apr 12, 2010 Lindsay rated it really liked it
I have passed this book a bunch of times at the bookstore and was a little scared to buy it because the cover and title suggests that it's about sex. And for some reason, I seem to think that the person at check out is going to care what I'm buying. It was only $5 so I figured I will just get it instead of starring at it every time I hit the bargain shelf. It actually wasn't that bad of a book. The best way to describe it is if Sex And The City went to Yale. Basically, it follows Chloe through t ...more
John Jr.
Chloe Carrington attends classes, goes to bars and parties, has sex, and writes about much of it for a campus newspaper. It’s no accident that the same was true of Natalie Krinsky shortly before she published this novel, nor is it likely to be an accident that both “Chloe” and “Carrington” call to mind Carrie Bradshaw, as do Chloe’s activities, apart from the classes and the campus. And if you consider that Carrie took instruction in the boutiques and fashions shows of Manhattan, the distinction ...more
Ari
IQ "'Aren't you going to write it down?' I [Chloe] ask, panicked, and in a moment of extreme unsuaveness.
'I have the memory of a hawk,' [Colin]
'Do they have good memories?'
'I'm not actually sure, but I thought it sounded convincing. Didn't it?
'Yes.' I smile. 'It did' pgs. 231-232

This book did exactly what I needed it to do, provided some space in between some heavy reads (I started it after I finished Middlemarch and while I'm in the middle of reading Vanity Fair ). That being said, I do wish
Elise
Nov 13, 2010 Elise rated it it was ok
This book was funny and cute but that was about it. It didn't have much substance. This book did however make me laugh in places and make me feel sad for Chloe in others and not in a good way. The plot was cute but very two dimensional and not much actually happened in the book. The characters were also very two dimensional and a little boring.

The plot is about a woman named Chloe who is the sex columnist at Yale. Through most of the book she whines and bemoans her lack of love life and writes
Lauren
Sep 01, 2011 Lauren rated it it was ok
Shelves: the-graveyard
Fairly funny, but over 100 pages in, I found myself struggling to keep up with far too many extraneous characters with no discernible plot in sight. Well, maybe a slight plot, but it's only there 'cuz it has to be and everyone tries very hard to ignore it for the most part. Very sad since I think the book has a cute premise and would probably be pretty good if it were more focused. To me, it seems like it's basically the author's college diary; full of names, places and Ivy League inside jokes t ...more
Kay
Nov 27, 2010 Kay rated it liked it
Chloe writes a Sex column but no one in her family knows about it. One of her longest friends (a male) acts towards her like she writes until she gets up and walks away. Then he starts writing bad things in her blog and that upsets her. When she finds out who it is she confronts him and she tells her how he feels. To top all this off her family finds out that she is the one that is writing this column and her dad is disappointed and her mom goes out on her spending sprees.

It does put a new twis
stephanie
Jun 19, 2007 stephanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
apparently a true story, i admit i'm slightly biased because i was like, "oh no, not another elizabeth wurtzel!" but this isn't anything like that.

yet, it's rather boring. you'd think she'd be better at writing having graduated from yale and writing for the YDN. but it has it's merits in describing college life, though listening to yalies i know, it's not really the average life of anyone at the school.

wouldn't recommend unless you're really bored, or into college setting chick-lit tales.
Joe
Dec 07, 2010 Joe rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book, but only luke-warm liked it. The premise and set up made me think this was going to be full of juicy experiences like "Pledged" by Alexandra Robbins, but it was far less exciting. I suppose in regards to it being about a smart, educated woman's struggle with coming of age and putting the college partying years behind oneself to settle down, it does well at addressing that conflict. Maybe it's because I couldn't relate, but it did seem striking that even so much benign ...more
Jen Mendeck
Apr 24, 2008 Jen Mendeck rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jen by: jenshepp@go.com
This book was amusing, if somewhat incomprehensible to me. The book reads like an autobiography, although it is billed a work of fiction, perhaps because the author wishes to cast doubt on how much of the book is based on her own life.

Sufice it to say that my college experience was nothing like Chloe's, so I had a little trouble identifying with her. The writing is decent, but I'm not sure I learned much of anything from this book other than how to be mildly shocked.
Sheri
Sep 26, 2008 Sheri rated it really liked it
Sex and the City – the college years. I came across some back articles of Natalie Krinsky’s column a few years back on a particular boring afternoon and instantly liked her commentary on college relationships, and more often college hook-ups’s. Krinsky’s columns that are interspersed throughout are much better than the actual story, but still good chick lit, especially if you’re looking to relive those great (and not so great) college times.
Heather
Sep 04, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since high school, I've probably read this book four times. I love it. It's fluffy, and funny...and written with a fantastic vocabulary. As an added bonus, I can get right into the setting as I'm from Connecticut and kind of familiar with New Haven.

Yes, it's no literary work of art, but for a light laugh, it's great. I saw it for $4 on my Nook and HAD to pick it up, because I never did actually own a copy.
Rab
Jun 13, 2012 Rab rated it liked it
I didn't think this book was show stopping but not too bad. I briefly read a review about this book being predictable, and spent the whole book trying to second guess everything. I think I only guessed one major event. It could be that I'm too used to young adult predictability, but I thought this book was just the life of a normal uni student - not too overly dramatic. That said, if you are looking for a thrilling book this wouldn't be it.
David Ward
Feb 03, 2010 David Ward rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Chloe Does Yale by Natalie Krinsky (Hyperion 2005) (Fiction- General). Chloe writes a column for the campus newspaper at her Ivy League school. She explores and exposes for her readers all of the privileged hot spots. This book is a sort of kiss-and-tell to make the non-Ivy Leaguers amongst us think that we missed something . My rating: 6/10, finished 2008.
Emily
Mar 30, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yalies
My neighbor in grad school wrote this book, so I felt I needed to support her undergrad senior thesis project. It was very witty, and the references to the university were spot-on. It wasn't a book for geniuses, so I loved it. If you didn't go to school there, I think it would still be good, but you'll be missing half the jokes.
Patrick
Jan 24, 2008 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2005
This is a first-time novel by a sex columnist from some college newspaper. It's really bad. Written in the first person, the narrator is also a sex columnist from some college newspaper. She goes around to parties, jerks some guy off, talks to her friends about various sexual topics of interest to the undergrad set, etc.
Cindy
Dec 06, 2014 Cindy rated it it was ok
I think I expected a realistic expose of Yale or maybe even a scandalous tale like gossip girl but I was not amused by the rather uninteresting characters in this novel. Chloe's column isn't as witty as Carrie Bradshaw and I wasn't motivated enough to finish the book.
Jennifer Morrow
May 31, 2010 Jennifer Morrow rated it really liked it
This is a crazy/hilarious college tale that had me laughing out loud several times. It's like Sex in the City but the setting is Yale and Chloe (the Carrie Bradshaw of this story)writes a sex column for a college newspaper.
Diana
Sep 21, 2011 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, college
Did I laugh out loud at some parts? Yes, I did. Did I groan in boredom at other parts? Yes, I did. It's a quick read and kind of funny but it's not great and I don't have to read it ever again. More like a beach read or an airplane read.
Amanda
Aug 03, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Cute book. Nothing to write home about, but funny to hear about the life of this Yale student. She writes a sex column for her college newspaper and uses many of her own experiences as the basis for her articles. She has an interesting group of friends that she also seeks inspiration from.
Lindsay
Jun 05, 2011 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Fun and light. Exactly what you'd expect from a novel about a Yale columnist. I laughed out loud at some of the passages.

Perfect summer read, and a nice break from all of the Hitler books I've been reading.
Reba
Jul 29, 2007 Reba rated it it was ok
first of all, I do think it's pretty cool that she published this when she was so young. and sometimes it's funny, really! so people shouldn't be so mean about it. but it is a little lame. but it's still fun to read if you went to yale. if you didn't, probably not so fun.
Heather Goff
Jul 27, 2007 Heather Goff rated it it was ok
Sort of silly, a quick read.
Is it really true that next time I go to Toad's it will be all the underage college kids around me? I've been told that this book... takes some liberties with reality. But some of it really does happen...
Tina
May 21, 2007 Tina rated it it was amazing
By far, one of the funniest chicklit books i've read. Especially when you know what it's like to go through college having random names for people you've met like DJ grandma, Hand-on-our-heads man, Third party vendor, and Valentine...
Jourdan
Oct 22, 2008 Jourdan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a fun read
Recommended to Jourdan by: No one
This book made me laugh out loud - literally- and even made me blush at some moments. It's a very fun read and totally gives you the feel of the college life. Parts of it keep you guessing and some you can figure out, but nonetheless it's a very fun read!
Melanie
Mar 09, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I thought this book was very funny. It was a quick read and exactly what I was in the mood for when I picked it up. I saw some other reviewers call it fluff, and I definitely agree, but I enjoy reading fluff to relax and have a good time when I read.
Claire
Aug 29, 2012 Claire rated it really liked it
First of all, I love Chloe! She's interesting and I actually liked that she's not a complete slut and was kind of quirky and funny. She kept me entertained throughout the whole book. Although it wasn't my favorite plot/book ever, I found myself truly enjoying this book.
Elizabeth
Jul 12, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009-2010
I read this just because i couldn't be bothered reading anything else and i needed something fluffy and mindless. This did the trick! It was predictable, but readable. Not one i'd particularly recommend though.
Maggie
Mar 13, 2014 Maggie rated it liked it
This started out kind of lame, but I got into it halfway through. It's overall okay, but not the kind of book that really stays with you or touches you. I liked that the ending wasn't a total cliche though.
  • Roommates
  • The J.A.P. Chronicles
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback))
  • Shout Down the Moon
  • Fate and Ms. Fortune
  • The Art of Undressing
  • The Darkness of Perfection
  • Starting from Square Two
  • The Cradle Robbers (A Mommy-Track Mystery, #6)
  • When Kambia Elaine Flew in from Neptune
  • Make Him Look Good
  • The Last Year of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Wife in the Fast Lane