Start by marking “The Dreadful Debutante (Regency Royal, #16)” as Want to Read:
The Dreadful Debutante (Regency Royal, #16)

The Dreadful Debutante (Regency Royal #16)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  614 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
WHAT DID SUCH A SOPHISTICATED MARQUESS SEE IN SUCH A DREADFUL DEBUTANTE AS MISS MIRA MARKHAM?

Arranging a season for an unruly miss who descended to drawing rooms by sliding down banisters was a challenge at best - especially since the hoydenish Mira had a sister of incomparable grace and beauty.

Mira wasn't daunted at all by the ton and its ridiculous marriage mart. Her he
Mass Market Paperback, 181 pages
Published November 30th 1994 by Ivy Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dreadful Debutante, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dreadful Debutante

Debbie Brown
Feb 15, 2016 Debbie Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, rollicking Regency romance that takes a number of twists and turns. It primarily centers on Mira Markham, an 18-year-old tomboy who loves hunting and riding and prefers wearing boy's clothing to dresses. Her older sister, Drusilla, is quite the opposite. Drusilla is everything demure and proper and beautiful... and consequently is pampered and spoiled by her parents. Their mother in particular always disparages Mira in comparison to the perfect Drusilla. Lord Charles Devere of the ...more
Christopher
I almost liked the "Dreadful Debutante" in spite of itself. Despite the lackluster dialogue, the multiple times the main characters behaved poorly, the general plot similarities with the very last book I read by Chesney, the fact that nearly every trope imaginable is used over the course of the story… there were a few highlights for me. There is a genuine form of camaraderie that shows at times between the main characters, for example, and the heroine is a very sympathetic – if cardboard – chara ...more
Tria
Romance fiction - even Regency romance - is not normally my choice in reading material, nor any of my preference, but my library's summary of this story intrigued me, and as I had one space left for ebook loans I decided to try it. I'm glad I did.

With most of the romance fiction I've ever tried to read (I specify fiction as I quite like romantic fanfiction, already knowing who the characters are and many of their possible motivations), I've found the major, and especially minor, characters far t
Jackie
Another Hysterical Historical with a cast I thought was very well fleshed put as well as very complementary to each other when they were interacting. The term dreadful debutante was a bit harsh when she was actually just a non-comformist whose true worth should never have been based solely upon her looks but rather on her spirit of embracing life to the fullest and always finding a way to help those in need.

The comedy of errors in this book were many and the resolution to them was delightful to
Mo
For a time back in the 80’s & 90’s, my reading material of choice was frequently bodice rippers, historical fiction, and regency romances with a few contemporary best sellers thrown in for good measure. Most of them were pretty steamy (blush) &/or overly romantic, but I read them during a time in my life when I found myself as a single parent, and these books fit the bill. I found them to be highly entertaining.

I recently donated a slew of them, but I wanted to catalog them all the same
QNPoohBear
Feb 07, 2014 QNPoohBear rated it it was ok
Mira Markham has always tried to be the son her father never had. She enjoys dressing like a boy, riding, fishing and hunting. Her childhood was spent in company with their neighbor, Lord Charles Devere who treated Mira as a best friend. Now Lord Charles is back from the wars and in town for the Season and Mrs. Markham has decided to bring Mira and her beautiful, ladylike sister Drusilla to London for a Season. Balls and parties and gowns aren't Mira's idea of fun but she doesn't mind as long as ...more
Sheri
Jun 19, 2016 Sheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a day sorely attempted to hang onto an adorable little Carolina wren that was able to sneak into the house quick and moving rapidly they're very difficult to Kate especially someone like me that has speed in the movements of a turtle and needless to say I had difficulty moving around and trying to catch up with this little animal. I had a little Tupperware set ready to go to snag her and get her back outside to her front door and water and food and then she could be back with her babies ag ...more
Stephanie
Mar 02, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was a dreadful book. The writing was stilted. Did she do ANY research of the Regency period beyond what she read in other bad novels? All I can say is say is thankfully, I read the Agatha Raisin book first as I would not have bothered with this author. I gave it a two ONLY because I thought she did do a good job of characterization and I laughed at two spots. I'll stick with Agatha and Hamish after this.
Linda
Oct 02, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
High society

Another M C Beaton series begins with this book. This was a story that drew me in with its humor. Beaton is quite good at pointing out, in a very entertaining way, the peculiarities and general silliness of all the correct observances of a proper London season associated with the British elite of the 19th century. There were so many rules, I don't know how anyone ever kept them all straight. This little book proves that sometimes, there were great rewards for those who chose to foll
Heather
Jul 18, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
At first I thought this was practically a cookie cutter image of another of Ms. Chesney's books that I recently read, but soon enough it took a turn and became a story of its own (though, of course, there are certain similarities between all "charming Recency romances"). And the author even seems to think that a romance can be based on - gasp - friendship! Some of the plot points got to be a little overdone, but the hero and heroine were thoroughly charming and I ultimately enjoyed it quite a lo ...more
Damaskcat
Oct 26, 2013 Damaskcat rated it really liked it
Mira Markham has always been a tomboy and dressed in boy’s clothes when she can get away with it. Suddenly she has to behave like a debutante when she and her beautiful sister Drusilla are taken to London by their parents for the season.

Mira hates the restrictions and she finds she is in love with her old friend Charles who is also in London. Unfortunately Charles has fallen for her sister and ignores Mira except when he is lecturing her about her conduct. Mira strikes up an unlikely friendship
Natasha Scheffler
May 24, 2015 Natasha Scheffler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet

I smiled throughout this story as the characters meet and fall in love. There is no huge climatic romance storyline where the hero saves the girl and the usual smutty romance scenes are also forfeited.... what you get is true love. The good and bad sides of the complications of love. It's a sweet read, good for those who do not like the raunchy romances.
Judy A. Ptacek
Mar 23, 2015 Judy A. Ptacek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Fine Regency Romance

A fine regency romance which is a good clean read. The sisters in the story are opposites. The beautiful sister becomes jealous of her "plain" sister and the attention she gets after her shenanigans. Her parents are hopeful that both sisters can make good matches, but the season does not go so smoothly and they have to deal with scandles.
Jody Hamilton
I am not a fan of most Regency romance novels, but Marion Chesney (aka MC Beaton) writes short and funny novels within this genre. She also writes series within the genre with usually 5 or 6 books in the series. Most most favorite is the Poor Relations series and a House for the Season series.

This book was good, full of humor.
Lina
Jun 29, 2014 Lina rated it liked it
This could hardly quality as Regency historical fiction, but was a fun fluff read. While it was obvious what would happen from the start of the story and the very modern viewpoint strained the credulity of the setting, this was a clean romance novel that did not resort to steam scenes of a sordid nature to keep the pages turning.
Patrizia
Ancora un romanzo leggero di Marion Chesney/Beaton, che, stavolta, si legge con piacere fin quasi alla fine. I personaggi sono poco delineati, e stranamente soggetti a mutare carattere nell'arco di poche pagine; ma è un genere di lettura che serve ottimamente per distrazione, e non si può andare troppo per il sottile
Helen Heavey
Feb 10, 2016 Helen Heavey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always a great read

MC Beaton is a wonderful author. She draws you into the story right away. Her characters are well drawn and very likable. This book is up to her usual high standards. Read the novel and have a splendid time in the drawing rooms and ballrooms of the early 19th century.
Gloria Sherwood
Disappointed

I liked the story line I just did not like the cussing and the sexual content it's inappropriate for a christian book, which by the way never even mentioned the Lord. I only gave it 3 stars due to the negative stuff detailed above. I do not recommend it because of the issues above.
Lynn Smith
Feb 17, 2015 Lynn Smith rated it really liked it
What a cute engaging story. Mia was a wild one trying to be the son her father wanted. Then going to London to come out with her sister, it was hard for Mia to curb her boyish ways. Until she decides she is love with Charles. Then the Marquees of Grandly has to convince that she isn't.
Kara
Mar 27, 2016 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

This is the best regency romance I have read on kindle unlimited. The characters had personality and wit.
The story line was fun and humors!( I laughed all the way through)
It was a great love story with passion that's PG!
I will read this again
Feb 07, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book to enjoy

I had fun reading this book. The actions of the main character were fun to read about, of course if I had been her mother, I probably would have been as upset with her as her mother was. Altogether a fun romance.
Ginny
Aug 22, 2014 Ginny rated it it was ok
I don't think I've ever read a book that jumped around so much. You could be in 4 different characters' heads within just one page. It was jarring. ALL of the characters were very immature. The old school Regency cover is the best thing about the book.
Deb
Mar 04, 2011 Deb rated it liked it
A lark of a romance, set I think in the regency period. A young woman is coming of age and of course her families concern is that she do well on the "marriage market". But the beauty of her older sister surpasses hers, and besides the young lady in question really doesn't have much interest in acting lady like. She sneaks out of the house by wearing mens clothes to see a male acquaintance of her youth--but of course his reaction is not quite what she expected. While she is on her incognito adven ...more
Gypsy
Apr 20, 2016 Gypsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved It!

I bought this story for free a while ago and just read it today. I like Mira and her personality. I loved the story. It was funny and lighthearted. I would recommend it for someone looking for a light read.
Kristen
I loved Marion Chesney's books in middle and high school. And they are still like comfort reading to me--they are quick, amusing, and utterly predictable romances that are fun to read. This one, however, wasn't so great. I think her series are much better.
debmar50
Feb 03, 2015 debmar50 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet

This is a cute entertaining story. It has all the jealousy, and spite I normally don't care for. Written in a witty and fun way. M.C. Beaton books are enjoyable all the time. (Regengy genre)
Georgann
Jul 16, 2014 Georgann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dreadful Debutante

The Dreadful Debutante

This was a fun, cute and charming story. I recommend highly it to anyone who wants a relaxing, enjoyable time.
Robyne Brown
Mar 08, 2016 Robyne Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light and entertaining read!

This was a fun read. Light and entertaining book. Great characters and believable characters. I will read more from this author.
Lauren
Feb 17, 2015 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I read something like three or four Marion Chesney novels in a row over the long weekend, and they were more or less all the same book. This was my favorite of them, though.
Linda Cole
Dec 10, 2015 Linda Cole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and simple

This was a simple story but the characters were memorable and fun to read about. I liked how the scandals backfired
  • My Dear Duchess (Regency Royal, #6) (Dukes & Desires, #5)
  • The Highland Countess (Cotillion Regency Romance, #10) (Regency Royal, #7)
  • Tilly (Regency Love, #9)
  • Lady Lissa's Liaison (To Woo an Heiress, #1)
  • The Nobody (Nobody, #1)
  • Cupboard Kisses
  • Fallen Angel
  • His Impetuous Debutante (A Gentleman's Guide to Once Upon A Time, #1)
  • Winter Wedding
  • Summer Campaign
  • A Change of Heart (Regency Rakes, #2)
  • The Lord and the Gypsy (Sanguinet Saga, #3)
  • The Houseparty
  • Seducing Charlotte (Accidental Peers, #1)
  • The Counterfeit Husband
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...

Regency Royal (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Westerby Inheritance
  • The Marquis Takes a Bride (Cotillion Regency Romance, #2) (Regency Royal, #2)
  • Lady Anne's Deception (Regency Royal, #3)
  • Lady Margery's Intrigue (Regency Royal, #4)
  • The Savage Marquess (Regency Royal, #5)
  • My Dear Duchess (Regency Royal, #6) (Dukes & Desires, #5)
  • The Highland Countess (Cotillion Regency Romance, #10) (Regency Royal, #7)
  • Lady Lucy's Lover (Regency Royal, #8) (Dukes & Desires, #6)
  • The Ghost and Lady Alice (Regency Royal, #9)
  • Love and Lady Lovelace  (Regency Royal, #10)