Start by marking “The Dreadful Debutante (Regency Royal, #16)” as Want to Read:
The Dreadful Debutante (Regency Royal, #16)

The Dreadful Debutante (Regency Royal #16)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  323 ratings  ·  22 reviews
WHAT DID SUCH A SOPHISTICATED MARQUESS SEE IN SUCH A DREADFUL DEBUTANTE AS MISS MIRA MARKHAM?

Arranging a season for an unruly miss who descended to drawing rooms by sliding down banisters was a challenge at best - especially since the hoydenish Mira had a sister of incomparable grace and beauty.

Mira wasn't daunted at all by the ton and its ridiculous marriage mart. Her he
Mass Market Paperback, 181 pages
Published November 30th 1994 by Ivy Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dreadful Debutante, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dreadful Debutante

Tria
Romance fiction - even Regency romance - is not normally my choice in reading material, nor any of my preference, but my library's summary of this story intrigued me, and as I had one space left for ebook loans I decided to try it. I'm glad I did.

With most of the romance fiction I've ever tried to read (I specify fiction as I quite like romantic fanfiction, already knowing who the characters are and many of their possible motivations), I've found the major, and especially minor, characters far t
Mo
For a time back in the 80’s & 90’s, my reading material of choice was frequently bodice rippers, historical fiction, and regency romances with a few contemporary best sellers thrown in for good measure. Most of them were pretty steamy (blush) &/or overly romantic, but I read them during a time in my life when I found myself as a single parent, and these books fit the bill. I found them to be highly entertaining.

I recently donated a slew of them, but I wanted to catalog them all the same
QNPoohBear
Mira Markham has always tried to be the son her father never had. She enjoys dressing like a boy, riding, fishing and hunting. Her childhood was spent in company with their neighbor, Lord Charles Devere who treated Mira as a best friend. Now Lord Charles is back from the wars and in town for the Season and Mrs. Markham has decided to bring Mira and her beautiful, ladylike sister Drusilla to London for a Season. Balls and parties and gowns aren't Mira's idea of fun but she doesn't mind as long as ...more
Heather
At first I thought this was practically a cookie cutter image of another of Ms. Chesney's books that I recently read, but soon enough it took a turn and became a story of its own (though, of course, there are certain similarities between all "charming Recency romances"). And the author even seems to think that a romance can be based on - gasp - friendship! Some of the plot points got to be a little overdone, but the hero and heroine were thoroughly charming and I ultimately enjoyed it quite a lo ...more
Damaskcat
Mira Markham has always been a tomboy and dressed in boy’s clothes when she can get away with it. Suddenly she has to behave like a debutante when she and her beautiful sister Drusilla are taken to London by their parents for the season.

Mira hates the restrictions and she finds she is in love with her old friend Charles who is also in London. Unfortunately Charles has fallen for her sister and ignores Mira except when he is lecturing her about her conduct. Mira strikes up an unlikely friendship
Natasha Scheffler
Sweet

I smiled throughout this story as the characters meet and fall in love. There is no huge climatic romance storyline where the hero saves the girl and the usual smutty romance scenes are also forfeited.... what you get is true love. The good and bad sides of the complications of love. It's a sweet read, good for those who do not like the raunchy romances.
Judy A. Ptacek
A Fine Regency Romance

A fine regency romance which is a good clean read. The sisters in the story are opposites. The beautiful sister becomes jealous of her "plain" sister and the attention she gets after her shenanigans. Her parents are hopeful that both sisters can make good matches, but the season does not go so smoothly and they have to deal with scandles.
Lina
This could hardly quality as Regency historical fiction, but was a fun fluff read. While it was obvious what would happen from the start of the story and the very modern viewpoint strained the credulity of the setting, this was a clean romance novel that did not resort to steam scenes of a sordid nature to keep the pages turning.
Gloria Sherwood
Disappointed

I liked the story line I just did not like the cussing and the sexual content it's inappropriate for a christian book, which by the way never even mentioned the Lord. I only gave it 3 stars due to the negative stuff detailed above. I do not recommend it because of the issues above.
Lynn Smith
What a cute engaging story. Mia was a wild one trying to be the son her father wanted. Then going to London to come out with her sister, it was hard for Mia to curb her boyish ways. Until she decides she is love with Charles. Then the Marquees of Grandly has to convince that she isn't.
A book to enjoy

I had fun reading this book. The actions of the main character were fun to read about, of course if I had been her mother, I probably would have been as upset with her as her mother was. Altogether a fun romance.
Ginny
I don't think I've ever read a book that jumped around so much. You could be in 4 different characters' heads within just one page. It was jarring. ALL of the characters were very immature. The old school Regency cover is the best thing about the book.
Deb
A lark of a romance, set I think in the regency period. A young woman is coming of age and of course her families concern is that she do well on the "marriage market". But the beauty of her older sister surpasses hers, and besides the young lady in question really doesn't have much interest in acting lady like. She sneaks out of the house by wearing mens clothes to see a male acquaintance of her youth--but of course his reaction is not quite what she expected. While she is on her incognito adven ...more
Kristen
I loved Marion Chesney's books in middle and high school. And they are still like comfort reading to me--they are quick, amusing, and utterly predictable romances that are fun to read. This one, however, wasn't so great. I think her series are much better.
debmar50
Sweet

This is a cute entertaining story. It has all the jealousy, and spite I normally don't care for. Written in a witty and fun way. M.C. Beaton books are enjoyable all the time. (Regengy genre)
Georgann
The Dreadful Debutante

The Dreadful Debutante

This was a fun, cute and charming story. I recommend highly it to anyone who wants a relaxing, enjoyable time.
Lauren
I read something like three or four Marion Chesney novels in a row over the long weekend, and they were more or less all the same book. This was my favorite of them, though.
Tica
Dreadful

This book is written poorly. Simply dreadful. It gives me a headache reading it. I won't even give it one star.
Amy Garnica
I like this author. she dos witty characters while remembering the dictates of society
Karen Myer
Delightful!

What a nice change of pace, after some of the more explicit books that are in the romance genre these days I enjoyed this book for the simple romance that it was and would highly recommend it.
Denae
Less nutritious than cotton candy, but suited my mood.
Tylise Shelton
Tylise Shelton marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Mary
Mary added it
Aug 18, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
  • The Marquis Takes a Bride (Cotillion Regency Romance, #2) (Regency Royal, #2)
  • The Nobody (Nobody, #1)
  • Miss Whittier Makes a List
  • Lord St. Claire's Angel (Lords and Ladies, #1)
  • Lady Lissa's Liaison (To Woo an Heiress, #1)
  • Frost Hollow Hall
  • His Impetuous Debutante (A Gentleman's Guide to Once Upon A Time, #1)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lovers and Ladies, #5)
  • Fallen Angel
  • The Chalet School and Barbara (The Chalet School, #34)
  • Isabella & The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #1 & #2)
  • Stacey's Broken Heart (The Baby-Sitters Club, #99)
  • Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (Felse, #6)
  • Married in Green (InCryptid, #0.05)
  • A Change of Heart (Regency Rakes, #2)
  • The Père-Lachaise Mystery (Victor Legris, #2)
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...

Regency Royal (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Westerby Inheritance
  • The Marquis Takes a Bride (Cotillion Regency Romance, #2) (Regency Royal, #2)
  • Lady Anne's Deception (Regency Royal, #3)
  • Lady Margery's Intrigue (Regency Royal, #4)
  • The Savage Marquess (Regency Royal, #5)
  • My Dear Duchess (Regency Royal, #6) (Dukes & Desires, #5)
  • The Highland Countess (Cotillion Regency Romance, #10) (Regency Royal, #7)
  • Lady Lucy's Lover (Regency Royal, #8) (Dukes & Desires, #6)
  • The Ghost and Lady Alice (Regency Royal, #9)
  • Love and Lady Lovelace  (Regency Royal, #10)
Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1) Hasty Death Lady Fortescue Steps Out (Poor Relations #1) Sick of Shadows (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #3) Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mystery #4)