Start by marking “Miss Twiggley's Tree” as Want to Read:
Miss Twiggley's Tree

Miss Twiggley's Tree

Why did Miss Twiggley live in a tree? Why did she send her dog, Puss, out to do the shopping? Why did she always run away and hide when people came to visit? And it was rumored that Miss Twiggley had even more peculiar habits...

Old Miss Twiggley, Was friendly with bears. "They shed on the sofa," she said, "But who cares?"

And was it true, as the mayor's wife had heard, th

Published November 1st 2002 by Purple House Press (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Twiggley's Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Twiggley's Tree

Kathryn
May 11, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Oh, what a delight!!! Vintage charm of the highest quality!

"Funny Miss Twiggley
Lived in a tree
With a dog named Puss
And a color TV.

She did what she liked,
And she liked what she did,
But when company came
Miss Twiggley hid."

Consequently, many of the townsfolk think she is odd. And the wife of the mayor even thinks there ought to be a law against people living in trees.

But when a great storm comes and floods the town, Miss Twiggley's is the only house above water. As Miss Twiggley learns, "When emerg
Lisa Vegan
May 23, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids who like trees & tree houses, rhyming stories, dogs, stories about community
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
This story and its pictures are delightful and charming and funny and sweet. It has a fabulous message, but it doesn’t overwhelm the very entertaining story.

This is one I’d have read over and over and over when I was a kid, or asked that it be repeatedly read to me. Though it was first published over 45 years ago, I just recently learned of it, thanks to friends here at Goodreads.

I adore the detailed and colorful illustrations.

The story rhyme is really engaging. A woman and her dog are by cho
Caren
Oct 20, 2010 Caren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I happened upon this book while shelving and fell in love with it. Miss Twiggley is an eccentic woman who lives in a tree house with her dog, Puss, and prefers the company of bears to the gossipy townfolk. When a hurricane with heavy rains floods the town, they all end up in Mrs. Twiggley's tree house and learn a new respect for her different lifestyle. Told in rhyme, it is a lovely story about accepting each other for who we are and coming toegether in time of need. I loved the detailed illustr ...more
Louise
Dec 08, 2010 Louise rated it it was amazing
My favorite children's book EVER. I bought myself a new copy, since all our kids books went to my brother's kids. Purple House Press, bless them, put out an anniversary copy.
Suzanne Moore
Apr 23, 2015 Suzanne Moore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This was one of my favorite books as a child. My mother enrolled us in a children's book club that mailed us a new book every month, and this was one of the books I received as a member. I always thought it would be neat to live in a tree house and ever since reading this book Weeping Willow trees have been my favorite. Anyway, I was reminded of this book when talking to Megan about Earth Day. She was working on a craft idea for the children at our library. It also happened to be a real rainy da ...more
Sincerae Smith
May 13, 2015 Sincerae Smith rated it it was amazing
Miss Twiggley is the eccentric outcast of town. The citizens are don't quite feel comfortable about this woman who lives in a tree and has only animals for friends. The town's fat cats, especially the mayor's wife, feel Miss Twiggley is a weirdo, nuisance, and that her tree is in the way.

Miss Twiggley is quite harmless and shy, however. When a hurricane strikes she is forced to come out of her shell and become a hero to save the lives of citizens who previously scorned her.

I loved this book wh
Amber
I can still hear my mom in my head, reading this to me from the time I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Of all the things my parents read to me, I think this one possibly had the greatest positive impact. I know it sounds silly to say that, it's just a picture book right? But it taught me that being different didn't have to be bad, and that minds can be changed. It taught me that it was okay to be whoever I was. Sadly, my mother will not let me steal her copy and I am a broke college student who ...more
Dolly
Nov 29, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a whimsical tale about an eccentric woman who lives in a tree with her dog. She is shy around people, but not bears. The narrative is rhyming and has a lyrical, Dr. Seuss-like rhythm to it. The illustrations are quite humorous and nicely detailed.

Overall, I thought this was an entertaining tale that is fun to read aloud. I didn't realize that the book was first published before I was even born, and I think it really has a timeless quality. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Elizabeth
Aug 12, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Long is the list of books that I have loved. Long is the list of books that have captured me. But on the list of books that have changed my life there is only one. Miss Twiggley taught me to be brave, and kind, and to give others a chance (even if they are mean and scary). And that the best of friends can be found in the strangest of places. She taught me life lessons that I use daily. And as I read Miss Twiggley's Tree to my children i pray that they learn from her all that I did. I'm not asham ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jul 27, 2012 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
Recommended to Randie by: Kathryn
Miss Twiggley is shy and mostly spends her time with her bear and dog friends in the comfort of her home...which is built in a tree. The townsfolk are not to happy about Miss Twiggley's tree until some unfortunate weather gives them a new perspective. The line and water-colored illustrations are detailed and pair nicely with the rhyming verses of the story.

Miss Twiggley and the townsfolk learn lessons that are valuable to children. great book.
Kathryn
Sep 26, 2015 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I just adored this vintage book with classic values. The illustrations were fun and the story a complete delight.
Jeff Cummings
Nov 20, 2016 Jeff Cummings rated it it was amazing
My dad read MISS TWIGGLEY to us over and over. We never got tired of it. My brother and sister and I would crowd up around his shoulder in his bed and he would do voices for all the fascinating characters of this inspiring tale. As an adult, I still read it to myself and to others whenever I get a chance.
Rosemary Sullivan
Sep 15, 2014 Rosemary Sullivan rated it it was amazing
I first found "Miss Twiggley's Tree" by Dorothea Warren Fox, when I was in grade school. After disembarking from the school bus, I would wait for my Mom to retrieve me while passing time in the local library. This book was one of the great treasures I remember finding there.

What enchanted me was the idea of living in a weeping willow. Ever since I read this story, I find those trees, with their gently draping foliage, to be magical. I already had a fondness for maples, having danced in their lea
Ellen
Nov 12, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing
"Funny Miss Twiggley lived in a tree
with a dog named Puss and a color TV.
She did what she liked
and she liked what she did.
But when company came...Miss Twiggley hid."

With that poetic beginning, Dorothea Warren Fox takes young readers through Miss Twiggley's evolution from a kindly, shy eccentric to local hero, with some lessons on treating others as you would be treated.

When Miss Twiggley's town is flooded from "a wild hurricane," people and pets take to boats made of whatever floats by. They end
Elizabeth Smith
Jul 12, 2015 Elizabeth Smith rated it really liked it
Fox, Dorothea Warren. Miss Twiggley’s Tree. Kentucky: Purple House Press, 1966. Fiction, friendship, shyness, helping others. In this children’s story we meet Miss Twiggley who lives in a tree and is very shy. The town people think she and her pet dog are rather strange and make fun of them. One day though a hurricane comes and Miss Twiggley lets them stay in her tree and overcomes her shyness. Something that I really enjoyed about his book are the illustrations. I feel like the style used has b ...more
HeavyReader
Dec 20, 2011 HeavyReader rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of eccenric older women
In this funny little story told in verse, a shy and eccentric older woman lives in a sweet little tree house with her dog. When a hurricane hits her town, she makes friends with the townspeople who thought she was weird until she takes them in.

The strangest part of the book is that Miss Twiggley hangs out with bears, and they stay around in her tree house with all the townspeople. I don't know why the author had to complicate a perfectly nice story with a perfectly nice lesson in friendship by
Lyndsey Hurm
This is a very entertaining story about a lady who lives in a thee and doesn't talk to the town people. When there is a terrible storm one day the neighbors stay in her tree with her and learn a new respect for her lifestyle. This is also a rhyming book so I would use it to teach about rhyming while teaching the lesson that we shouldn't judge others just because they live differently than we do. It also talks about coming together in a time of need. The illustrations are great as well!
Kayla
Aug 19, 2014 Kayla rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-books
We read this book in class in order to do a summarizing assignment. My teacher said this was her favorite childhood book and I can easily see why. This is the sentence I did for the assignment: In Dorothea Warren Fox's endearing children's story, Miss Twiggley's Tree, Miss Twiggley lives in a tree house to avoid judgment from the townspeople, but when trouble strikes, she learns the importance of overcoming her fears and embracing what makes her unique no matter what others may think.
Ashley
May 30, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing
One of our favorite books, given to Alice at her baptism. Miss Twiggley lives in a tree and isn't so fond of people who aren't so fond of her either, until a storm washes the town away and she welcomes everyone into her home.

"And Miss Twiggley found out
Something wonderful, too:
When emergencies come,
You don't think about you.

You help all you can.
And you never ask why.
Then the first thing you know,
You forget to be shy."
Mary Tokarz
Aug 01, 2015 Mary Tokarz rated it it was amazing
This book is very special to me. It was given to me by my Aunt Rosalyn, a friend of the author, for my 5th or 6th birthday. It was my first autographed book and I treasure it. I was very excited to meet the author in person during library class at Hayestown Elementary School. Miss Twigley's Tree is on my short list of childhood favorites along with the Puffin poem, a Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson, and A Secret Garden, which was probably my first chapter book.
Juliej
May 04, 2010 Juliej rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite books as a child. I just remembered it recently and ordered it off of Amazon. We read it today and it brought back so many memories. I love the rhyming and A, as an animal lover, enjoyed Miss Twiggly's dog Puss, who acts human. A sweet story with a good little message at the end.
Peggy
Aug 13, 2014 Peggy rated it it was amazing
The pictures sort of remind me of Fletcher Hatched or a Cranberry Thanksgiving. This is an older book, but my son really enjoyed the pictures and the story. The shy and rather odd Miss Twiggley lives in a tree house but doesn't really know anyone in town (and vice versa)... that is until the town floods and everyone in town comes to stay with her and her dog, Puss, in the treehouse.
Amy
Apr 10, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, children-s
I have always had a copy of this book - apparently it was one of my brother's (I take credit for the additonal crayon drawings inside though!) This is a lovely story of an eccentric older woman who is shunned by her neighbors. A "don't judge a book by it's cover" story. Rhyming text, and also has been made into a claymation movie.
Edna
Nov 22, 2009 Edna rated it liked it
Suggested by a parent as her favorite book because of its story which is about an eccentric woman who lives in a tree with her dog who does all the grocery shopping. It sounds silly, but it's a nice book about appreciating those who we think are different when in reality, are just like everyone else.
Jill
Apr 20, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
"Funny Miss Twiggley lived in a tree
with a dog named Puss and a color TV.
She did what she liked
and she liked what she did.
But when company came...Miss Twiggley hid."

A wonderful beginning to an amazing book, I had it memorized as a child, and so did my own children. We all wanted to live in that treehouse with Miss Twiggley.
Tracy
Dec 15, 2011 Tracy rated it it was amazing
This was one of my brothers favorite books growing up, my Mom still has it...I guess i liked it too because i could read it word for word right now just thinking about it. The book she has has to be at least 40 years old...hard to believe.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
Sweet story about helping others in their time of need, and I love the old-timey feel of the illustrations. I just wish the text could have been tightened up. Aside from it being too wordy, I also felt like it took too long to get to the meat of the story, then the ending felt rushed.
Lori
Mar 06, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing
This was my absolute favorite book when I was a kid. It's about a woman who lives in a tree with a dog and some bears. The town treats her like an outcast, but things change when the weather turns bad. A book about being prepared.
Jul 30, 2011 Laura added it
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
One of Jim's favorite books from his childhood. He did ILL since Enoch Pratt didn't have a copy. This is a sweet story about a quirky woman, her charming dog Puss, and a town that learns to appreciate Miss Twiggley's treehouse.
Brendan Howard
Dec 19, 2016 Brendan Howard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-zahara
Some of the vocabulary and the plot were lost on my 5-year-old, but this is a moving, strange, beautiful work, and I look very much forward to revisiting it again as Zahara gets older. Thanks for the kind soul who gave me a copy.

She liked it even more at 7.
  • Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun: Having the Courage To Be Who You Are
  • The Pirates Next Door
  • The Recess Queen
  • The Hungry Thing
  • Miss Suzy (Miss Suzy, #1)
  • Felicity Floo Visits the Zoo
  • The Big Orange Splot
  • Doggone Dogs
  • My Name Is Yoon
  • Have You Filled a Bucket Today?: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
Dorothea Warren was born on January 31, 1914 in Birmingham, Alabama. She attended Birmingham-Southern College, married Charles Fox in 1940 and had four children. She worked as a commercial artist and illustrator.
More about Dorothea Warren Fox...