Start by marking “Lily” as Want to Read:
Lily
Preview

Lily

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Lily DeLony, fifteen, tells her very one-sided version of what happened on Christmas Eve night 1883 in McDade, Texas, when a vigilante group of citizens struck against a gang of outlaws. One of the outlaws was Shot Beatty, the love of Lily's life. One of the vigilantes was her father.
Published October 1st 1992 by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill

To ask other readers questions about Lily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lily

Kim
I bought this book from a second hand book store. The moment i read the back cover i was already hooked! the copy is as old as i am and it's kinda beaten down with the cover almost falling off, the pages are really yellow and it really smells old but that made the reading experience even better!

Historical fiction wasn't really my thing but Lily made me love the genre now. I'm a sucker for forbidden romance and badboys (Marion Beatty gave me mini heart attacks!) and the wild west was a perfect se
Ry Ry:) :)
I loved the romance and the bad boy gets the girl it was just a adventure
Paige
I read this book about ten years ago. It was the best book I had read up until that point. So it's always had a soft spot for me. The book itself is a really good read, its a classic good girl falls in love with a badboy persona. Its a book I can pick up at anytime and fall into Lily DeLonys life.
Corinne
I enjoyed this book a lot. There are some who may not like certain elements of this book, but nothing like a good story about a girl getting swept off her feet by a seeming-bad boy.
Diane
Young girl becomes romantically involved with a Western gang member. Romance novel. May appeal to young adults. Not a typical Western.
Black Elephants
LILY and I have a history together. Back in junior high, it was the book all the girls were reading because of some racy content. I never read it back then, so when I needed some fluff and came upon it, I thought why not? It's a historical romance novel: She's good. He's bad. Blahblahracycontentblah. The end. Right?

To tell the truth, I was actually surprised by how substantive this romance was. It's not Love in the Time of Cholera, but Bonner did a rather decent job in building a tense situation
Jodi Harris
I read this book when i was probably around 16 years old or so and have held onto it ever since. For one, i'm a HUGE huge fan of Westerns so the setting of this story appealed to me. but it was a really fast read, emotionally potent with a ver strong sense of voice and place which caused me to never forget it. The love story is exciting and dangerous and facinating (at least it was when i was a teenager). I am re-reading the book currently (it's old enough that pages are starting to fall out of ...more
J.R. Dawson
I read it three times over, one after the other. The writing...I can hear Lily's voice in it, and she sounds precisely like a girl of 1800s should sound. Congrats, Miss Bonner. You have a masterpiece here. Some may claim the romance is not really a romance at all, but a boy taking advantage of a girl. But it is not true. This book is so dead accurate to everything in that time period you will feel as if it actually was written all those years ago..
Phayvanh
Oct 02, 2007 Phayvanh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romantics
Shelves: reviews, fiction
A good love story never fails to move me. Here Cindy Bonnertakes a small historical scrap and spins a wonderfully old-time tale of a young innocent falling for the baddest, sexiest outlaw Dade County ever knew.

Call me a sucker. I got swept away, just like Lily. I was also 17 when I read this.
Marianna
I think this book is a waste of time. I hear the sequel drives that point home even more. I was really getting to dislike Marion, the big ol' liar, and his semi-rape of our heroine. I doubt the baby-girl even knows what love is and he takes advantage (listen to my talking like they're real people).
Tara
I thought this book couldn't go wrong for me since I love stories about the old west, and I'm a sucker for a sweet romance. But I just . . . I wasn't really wild about it. I felt a little bit and let down and betrayed at the end - much like the heroin I think. I'm undecided if I'll read the sequel.
Sharon Zoch
Also by my cousin Cindy. This is actually the first in the series and then "Looking After Lily." If you like historical romance, ill-crossed loves, and adventure. You will fall in love with her characters.
Jonna
This book was so wonderful, I read it twice in a row. The easy cadence of Bonner's writing is a pleasure to read. I can't say enough good things about this book.
CLM
Oct 23, 2009 CLM rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to CLM by: Audrey
I remember that Audrey and I liked the original Algonquin cover but no one else did. The paperback ended up being purple with a transparent white vellum step-back.
Aliza
I read this when I was in middle or high school. I remember liking it and am going to try to find a copy of it. None at the library, so I'll have to search.
Callicore
I've read this book a million times. It was the first romance novel I had ever read as a teen so of course it's my favorite.
Michelle
Young adult historical/romance book that I loved in high school. I've never been into the romance books, but I loved this one.
elissa
Oct 10, 2007 elissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of romance & westerns
I loved all of the Algonquin Books that I read in the 90's, and this one was the best.
Shannon
I had so much fun reading this book. I adored it actually :)
Jori Leach
LOVED IT!!! Think Laura Ingalls Wilder meets Outlaw Josie Wales...
Emily
I didn't finish it. The people in the book were not very smart.
Amy
central Texas love story-set in the olden days-very good.
Please just don't read it. I put it down cause it is trash.
Chris
I read this ages ago, but I remember really liking it
Andrea
This was very good. I stayed up until 2 a.m. to finish it.
Christina
Cheesy Western romance, but I actually really liked it!
Nyx Moonglimmer
Absolutely delightful. I've read it about 20 times.
Odessa
for whatever reason this is my favorite book EVER.
Elizabeth Groves
Easy to read but incredibly fun and well written.
Jill
This is one of my favorite love stories!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Fall from Grace
  • Ghost Fox
  • Pioneer, Go Home!
  • A Peaceful Retirement (Fairacre, #20)
  • True Crime
  • Inside the Magic Kingdom
  • Mouse Under Glass: Secrets of Disney Animation and Theme Parks
  • Hey World, Here I Am!
  • Volcano: The Eruption and Healing of Mount St. Helens
  • The Select
  • Rachel's Journal: The Story of a Pioneer Girl (Young American Voices, #1)
  • Through the Fire
  • Love Among the Rabble
  • Ellis Island
  • Reese (Rock Creek Six, #1)
  • This Side of Glory (Plantation Trilogy, #3)
  • Nethergate
  • Sing My Name
Looking After Lily Right from Wrong: A Novel The Passion of Dellie O'Barr Sister Dellie Inocencia de Lily, La