Start by marking “IBS: Free at Last!: Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet” as Want to Read:

Do you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)? Does a healthy diet make you feel worse, instead of better? Is it difficult to pin down which foods trigger your IBS symptoms? FEEL BETTER FAST WITH THIS SAFE, NATURAL AND NUTRITIOUS DIET. This book describes an easy, step-by-step way to find out if your symptoms are caused by intolerance to certain carbohydrates (known as FODMAP ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 180 pages
Published April 11th 2012 by Pond Cove Press (first published January 20th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about IBS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about IBS

Zahwil
May 30, 2015 Zahwil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is for people with ongoing or sporadic stomach problems. The author's approach is to target FODMAPSs which is an acronym for Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides And Polyols.

In a nutshell, FODMAPs are undigested carbohydrates (sugars and fibers) that are not absorbed as they should be in the small intestine, and instead fermented (broken down) by bacteria in the large intestine, causing such symptoms as bloating, gas, etc. The mal-absorption arises because some people lack the
Rachel Groves
I particularly appreciate the style in which this is written making it accessible and easy to implement the FODMAPs diet. She explains everything well and goes into detail about the Challenge Phase of the diet which I found sketchy in the other book I've read on FODMAPs diet (The Complete Low-Fodmap Diet: A Revolutionary Plan for Managing Ibs and Other Digestive Disorders).

She has a good Q&A section and goes also into the science of FODMAPs. I also recommend Patsy's blog where she publishes
Nicole
Nov 01, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Praise Jesus! I have been symptom free for 2 weeks with ONE exception. On that day I ate 4oz of sweet potato at one sitting and that's the only thing I can contribute to being done differently that day. I felt horrible, but thankfully my symptoms were gone by the next morning. I need to start the challenge phase now but I'm scared too
Andrea
Oct 08, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was put onto the FODMAP diet by my dietician, to identify my food intolerances and triggers of IBS. The FODMAP diet has a 76% success rate when followed accurately but to do so takes time and tremendous discipline. Whilst on the diet (for the best part of a year), IBS-Free at Last! became my FODMAP bible and enabled me to find complete success.
Mellybeans0919
Apr 13, 2016 Mellybeans0919 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read so far about IBS. Very informative!!
It is a book I'd consider buying.
Rita
Nov 01, 2012 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have suffered for 15 plus years with IBS. I have seen specialist and had every test known to man and up until this book I continued to have pain, bloating, gas, and diarrhea on a daily basis!!!!! I am on my 2nd week of elimination and feel 100% better by day 2!!!! I ate lettuce & spinach for the first time in 8 years and savored every bite. My husband is amazed at the transformation in me. I am a healthcare professional and had never even heard of FODMAPs until I read this book. I would re ...more
Regina Worrell
Aug 28, 2015 Regina Worrell rated it really liked it
Medical book that was very helpful.
Sarah Evan
There's a lot that I appreciate about this book - her experience personally and professionally especially. However, I feel like there are contradictory or inadequate explanations for some of the foods and to be a detailed book, I want more details! The FOD-MAP diet seems to work for me in many regards, and this book helps with some understanding, but it still leaves (and in a few instances creates) more questions, so I wish it was more comprehensive and clear.
Anne
Aug 02, 2016 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really no different than the many books I have read on specific diets.
Sarah Tilsley
Jul 18, 2013 Sarah Tilsley rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, health, 2013, july
I read this book hoping to find a reason for my IBS. I wanted to get rid of the symptoms and I head the FODMAP elimination diet could be the way to go. This book spells it out for you in nice simple steps, gives you a sample menu and a few recipes at the end of the book to help along the way.

I haven't tried the diet out yet, but I think it may be worth a try.
Alex
Apr 05, 2012 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jury is out. Have to try to the recommended diet to see if her ideas actually make me 'free at last'. But the science is intriguing and makes the most sense of anything I've read so far. Plus it's not a total 'you can't eat this' protocol. She makes some excellent points - I'll update this review once I've done this for a few months with my thoughts and results.
Beckie
I don't have IBS, but I did recently have my gall bladder removed. Even though my doctor said I could eat anything I wanted, I really couldn't. My symptoms were very similar to IBS. This books helped my realize what I could and could digest, alternative ways of seasoning foods and reassurance that live doesn't end just because I can't eat onions anymore!
Catie
Dec 10, 2012 Catie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book is so easy to read and I feel like the writer is speaking right to my heart about everything that I have been dealing with for the past 2 years! I'm so excited to try the "diet" that might cure me!
Joanna
Apr 27, 2011 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read IBS diet book. I read it in an hour. I'm in the 3rd day of the elimination diet and it's OK pretty well so far. Hope it works long term. Worth a try anyway.
Cindy Chapman jorgensen
Mar 01, 2015 Cindy Chapman jorgensen rated it it was amazing
Great book for people with food issues, not just IBS. Good information to help understand food and how it can affect your body.
Stephanie
Feb 16, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
A little brief, but a good overview of the FODMAP diet for IBS, and how to do an elimination diet to test for FODMAP sensitivity.
Justin
Mar 20, 2015 Justin rated it it was ok
Shelves: health, gut
Not much in terms of actionable items. It has good information, its just available on the web in more concise form.
Megan the Vegan
Easy to read... Gonna put the diet into action after Labor Day and will report back :)
Lindsay
May 29, 2013 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
Easy read. Her diet plan is simply laid out and seems easy to follow. Might give it a go!
Phoebe
Phoebe rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Sherry
Sherry is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2016
Ayesha Goonetilleke
Ayesha Goonetilleke marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
A Raymond
A Raymond marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
patty
patty rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Meghan Phillips
Meghan Phillips rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Brittany Murray
Brittany Murray marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
roger skuterud
roger skuterud rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics
  • The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet: A Revolutionary Plan for Managing IBS and Other Digestive Disorders
  • Living from the Heart
  • Sensation and Perception
  • The Revolt of "Mother" and Other Stories
  • How to Be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers
  • Contented Dementia
  • Aman: The Story of a Somali Girl
  • Conquering Chronic Disorganization
  • The Wounded Storyteller: Body, Illness, and Ethics
  • Alignment Matters: The First Five Years of Katy Says
  • Organizing Plain & Simple: A Ready Reference Guide with Hundreds of Solutions to Your Everyday Clutter Challenges
  • Inside Rehab: The Surprising Truth About Addiction Treatment—and How to Get Help That Works
  • Catastrophic Care: How American Health Care Killed My Father—and How We Can Fix It
  • E-Cubed: Nine More Energy Experiments That Prove Manifesting Magic and Miracles Is Your Full-Time Gig
  • Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?
  • Synchrodestiny: Harnessing the Infinite Power of Coincidence to Create Miracles
  • The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny