Start by marking “IBS: Free at Last!: Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet” as Want to Read:

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Do you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)? Does a healthy diet make you feel worse, instead of better? Is it difficult to pin down which foods trigger your IBS symptoms? FEEL BETTER FAST WITH THIS SAFE, NATURAL AND NUTRITIOUS DIET. This book describes an easy, step-by-step way to find out if your symptoms are caused by intolerance to certain carbohydrates (known as FODMAP ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 180 pages
Published April 11th 2012 by Pond Cove Press (first published January 20th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about IBS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about IBS

Rachel Groves
I particularly appreciate the style in which this is written making it accessible and easy to implement the FODMAPs diet. She explains everything well and goes into detail about the Challenge Phase of the diet which I found sketchy in the other book I've read on FODMAPs diet (The Complete Low-Fodmap Diet: A Revolutionary Plan for Managing Ibs and Other Digestive Disorders).

She has a good Q&A section and goes also into the science of FODMAPs. I also recommend Patsy's blog where she publishes
Sarah Evan
There's a lot that I appreciate about this book - her experience personally and professionally especially. However, I feel like there are contradictory or inadequate explanations for some of the foods and to be a detailed book, I want more details! The FOD-MAP diet seems to work for me in many regards, and this book helps with some understanding, but it still leaves (and in a few instances creates) more questions, so I wish it was more comprehensive and clear.
Nicole Luman
Praise Jesus! I have been symptom free for 2 weeks with ONE exception. On that day I ate 4oz of sweet potato at one sitting and that's the only thing I can contribute to being done differently that day. I felt horrible, but thankfully my symptoms were gone by the next morning. I need to start the challenge phase now but I'm scared too
Cindy Chapman jorgensen
Great book for people with food issues, not just IBS. Good information to help understand food and how it can affect your body.
Rita
I have suffered for 15 plus years with IBS. I have seen specialist and had every test known to man and up until this book I continued to have pain, bloating, gas, and diarrhea on a daily basis!!!!! I am on my 2nd week of elimination and feel 100% better by day 2!!!! I ate lettuce & spinach for the first time in 8 years and savored every bite. My husband is amazed at the transformation in me. I am a healthcare professional and had never even heard of FODMAPs until I read this book. I would re ...more
Sarah (LF Book Reviews)
I read this book hoping to find a reason for my IBS. I wanted to get rid of the symptoms and I head the FODMAP elimination diet could be the way to go. This book spells it out for you in nice simple steps, gives you a sample menu and a few recipes at the end of the book to help along the way.

I haven't tried the diet out yet, but I think it may be worth a try.
Alex
Jury is out. Have to try to the recommended diet to see if her ideas actually make me 'free at last'. But the science is intriguing and makes the most sense of anything I've read so far. Plus it's not a total 'you can't eat this' protocol. She makes some excellent points - I'll update this review once I've done this for a few months with my thoughts and results.
Beckie
I don't have IBS, but I did recently have my gall bladder removed. Even though my doctor said I could eat anything I wanted, I really couldn't. My symptoms were very similar to IBS. This books helped my realize what I could and could digest, alternative ways of seasoning foods and reassurance that live doesn't end just because I can't eat onions anymore!
Catie
Dec 10, 2012 Catie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book is so easy to read and I feel like the writer is speaking right to my heart about everything that I have been dealing with for the past 2 years! I'm so excited to try the "diet" that might cure me!
Joanna
Easy to read IBS diet book. I read it in an hour. I'm in the 3rd day of the elimination diet and it's OK pretty well so far. Hope it works long term. Worth a try anyway.
Stephanie
A little brief, but a good overview of the FODMAP diet for IBS, and how to do an elimination diet to test for FODMAP sensitivity.
Megan Butcher
Easy to read... Gonna put the diet into action after Labor Day and will report back :)
Lindsay
Easy read. Her diet plan is simply laid out and seems easy to follow. Might give it a go!
Sarah added it
Oct 24, 2014
Lois Marshall Clayton
Lois Marshall Clayton marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014