Start by marking “Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World” as Want to Read:
Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World

Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  329 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
This book sets forth the Biblical understanding of the world, and then traces the development of that world through the successive "covenants" of the Bible—each new covenant transforming the previous one, bringing forth "a new world." Each of these "worlds" was given a symbolic model appropriate to the times. By a study of these models, and of the societies they represente ...more
Published July 1st 1999 by Wipf & Stock (first published October 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Through New Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through New Eyes

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Abolition of Man by C.S. LewisThe Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich BonhoefferPlanet Narnia by Michael  WardSurprised by Hope by N.T. Wright
Books I will, God willing, read in 2012
113th out of 122 books — 33 voters
يافا حكاية غياب ومطر by نبال قندسPlease Don't Tell My Parents I Blew Up The Moon by Richard  RobertsThe Shard by Ted Crossريب المنون by إياد عبدالرحمنFidelity by Douglas Wilson
2015
114th out of 141 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

John
Dec 07, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
James Jordan is not your ordinary seminarian, who looks at the Bible in the same way that is so typical of modern scholarship. Jordan attempts to look at the Bible through a rigorously biblical lens, in ways that are foreign to the modern reader.

This is not to say that others don't attempt to read the Bible through a biblical lens, but that Jordan's reading is rich with typology and symbolism in ways that I've never encountered before.

Reading Jordan, is akin to reading a good literary critic rea
Nina
Dec 09, 2015 Nina rated it it was amazing
It isn't very often one reads a book that alters your vision. Jordan presents an analysis of the Bible through symbolisn that flows through the entire text. As an ancient document it cannot be read with 21st century eyes and understand the depth and scope of its meaning. He describes God's plan through Biblical symbolism as increasing in glory through progressive Covenants with his people, to a final glorious conclusion. He transcends denominational differences, focusing on what constitutes a Ch ...more
Ed Lang
Oct 23, 2009 Ed Lang rated it it was amazing
Neglect this read to your own peril.
Terri
Feb 10, 2014 Terri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Through New Eyes looks at all creation with a sharp understanding of God's intent. The question and answer, "Why did God make all things?- For His own glory," is expounded and is awe inspiring. Jordan describes gemstones as "frozen pieces of glory, but we can also see them as frozen pieces of the rainbow... also a manifestation of glory." "It is written on the heart of man to appreciate glory, and it takes a great act of the will to pervert this attraction," a beautiful sunset, a rainbow, a diam ...more
Jerry
Feb 10, 2011 Jerry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
My third or fourth time through, this is still one the best books about the Bible I've ever come across, providing the tools for understanding biblical theology and developing a biblical worldview. Jordan introduces all sorts of biblical themes and the maturing Bible reader finds more to agree, disagree and interact with, always in an edifying way, each time.
Douglas Hayes
Sep 07, 2010 Douglas Hayes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-theology
This is Jordan's great primer on biblical theology. Here he develops a unique (although not new) approach to hermeneutics, symbolism and typology.

This is considered to be one of his most important works, and fundamental to understanding his approach to biblical studies.
Steven Wedgeworth
Jun 10, 2011 Steven Wedgeworth rated it really liked it
Lots and lots of speculation, but some genius insight into Biblical theology. It was world-changing when I first read it (one of my first introductions to typology and narrative), but after five years I have lots of issues. This one should be updated and edited.
Brittany Petruzzi
So good. I always forget how good it is and then tell myself I need to re-read it. I also often wonder if N.T. Wright stole from James Jordan, Jordan stole from Wright, or the both of them discovered the same things independently.
Gwen Burrow
Jun 19, 2009 Gwen Burrow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
I remember trying to read this at the emergency room in the middle of the night while waiting for my mom to go into surgery....yeah, it didn't make any sense. But it turned into English later, and of course now I dig it.
Bethany F.
Jan 04, 2011 Bethany F. rated it it was amazing
What can be more important than shaping our view of the Bible and of the world into the view that God's Word teaches us?

Amazing must-read. Totally enjoyed it. Very exciting. :-)
Mark
Jul 04, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing
One of the best books discussing Biblical symbology I have ever read. Well worth your time.
Kyle Grindberg
Apr 27, 2016 Kyle Grindberg rated it it was amazing
Awesome, it lived up to its title.
Spencer R
Jun 12, 2014 Spencer R rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
You can find my review here: http://wp.me/p3JhRp-d8

Was the Bible written in a vacuum for certain people in a specific time? What does the Bible say about life today? How do we look at the Bible and read what it says about history and life today to see how we are to live?

Jordan discusses the design of the world and how it reveals our Creator and how history is controlled by God so that events from the past shed light on the events of the future. The Bible
Nathan
Jun 09, 2013 Nathan rated it it was amazing
Sometimes we get stuck in ways of thinking about various topics that can confuse our view of reality a little bit. Christians all want to think Biblically, and for Reformed and Presbyterian Christians like me, that Biblical thinking has been shaped by the doctrinal standards of the church. Those standards (I'm thinking here of the Westminster Standards primarily, but other documents function the same way) are a great place to start thinking Biblically; they provide a frame of reference for histo ...more
Jon Sedlak
Oct 21, 2013 Jon Sedlak rated it really liked it
A friend of mine once described James Jordan's Through New Eyes as a book which teaches how to eat, drink, and dream in a language called "Bible." After reading this book a couple of times, I find myself agreeing with that opinion. Scarcely a month goes by when I don't peek into this book to see what Jordan said about a given passage or symbol in Scripture. Even in significant areas where I once disagreed with Jordan’s interpretation, I find myself agreeing more and more as long as I continue to ...more
Timothy Nichols
Feb 08, 2014 Timothy Nichols rated it it was amazing
One of the better hermeneutics texts around, _Through New Eyes_ is an introduction to the way the original audiences thought. This is biblical worldview not in the sense of "What would Jesus think about bioethics?" but in the sense of "How did Jesus think about Genesis?" For more skeptical readers, it might be wise to read this in tandem with Leithart's _Deep Exegesis_.
Nate Walker
May 30, 2013 Nate Walker rated it it was amazing
Wow. I probably learned something brand new on every page of this book. Some pages were simply thrilling (for example his 3-page tabernacle commentary of the Gospel of John at the end of the book - incredible). Probably the books biggest weakness is actually its biggest strength: Jordan does not bother to justify many of his ideas through careful exegesis and study of biblical syntax (to establish the connections he finds). This allows him to imaginatively paint a large scale picture of the bibl ...more
Courtney Joshua
Feb 18, 2015 Courtney Joshua rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
I've read the first half many times, but only just now read it straight through. So good!

The first I read in this vein was Chilton. That was paradigm-shifting. Jordan is less careful - at times almost unsettlingly adventurous - but no less insightful.
Jonah
Mar 23, 2014 Jonah rated it it was amazing
One the most helpful, important, and necessary books I have read expounding God's Word and His creation. Read it, then read it again.
Anoma
Sep 23, 2014 Anoma rated it it was amazing
Insightful...pun intended. It made a dent in spite of reading it super fast. Would like to read more like this.
Nicholas Rozier
May 28, 2012 Nicholas Rozier rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. His proposition is that the bible speaks mainly in visual imagery (symbolism) and repeated patterns (typology), not in scientific or philosophical terms. Thus, the book is a review of symbols and types. Every other book I have read on biblical symbolism and typology came across as the ravings of a mad man. This book, however, came across as the even-handed, balanced ideas of a scholar and Dr. of scripture. I think this book is an invaluable read in developing a worldview t ...more
David
Feb 03, 2015 David rated it really liked it
Excellent introduction to many of James Jordan's insights into Biblical typology and often overlooked themes in Scripture.
Peter
Aug 11, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it
Jordan is stimulating as always. His hermeneutic really opens up the Bible and it is not an exaggeration to say that one will read with "new eyes" after this book. His mind is fertile, but he doesn't tend it thoroughly, so there are a good number of weeds along with the wheat. Some of his interpretations are too fanciful for my tastes, and occasionally seem to go against the interpretation that the Bible itself offers.
Michael
May 10, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
This book completely transformed the way I view the Bible! Jordan's display of redemptive history through covenant progression leaves very few stones unturned. Morover, he offers a view of the Bible that not only bolsters one's faith and ability to read the Bible but is also extremely practical in setting forth the implications for Modern life and practice of Christianity. I wholeheartedly endorse this work!
Mystie Winckler
Mar 25, 2009 Mystie Winckler rated it liked it
Dad's. From this book I don't think Jordan is as off-center and bizarre as I had assumed he would be. I liked his premise, was intrigued by some of his connections, and was annoyed by the lack of proof and reasoning in several places (which he acknowledges in the preface and attempts to make up for in "for further reading" in the copious end notes).

I'm glad I read it. I'm glad I'm done with it.
Gregory Soderberg
Sep 15, 2009 Gregory Soderberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
This is the second time through this book. Every Christian should read it. We read the Biblical text with so many assumptions and preconceptions. Jordan helps us understand the deep symbolic flow of the Bible, showing how it all harmonizes into a glorious symphony! Symbols are not just literary decoration in the Bible--they are living metaphors that God has written into history and creation.
Butch Ellis
Jul 08, 2009 Butch Ellis rated it really liked it
James Jordan is the "Father of Typology." This book is comparable to Leithart's book, "A House For My Name" except it much deeper in content. It contains diagrams that I found very helpful in understanding the material Jordan was presenting. Jordan, however, is a little over the top for my taste...I prefer "Jordan-Lite" which is spelled "Leithart".
Chris Comis
Can't describe how important this book is for some semper reformanda, both in the Church and in the world. It should be read while also listening to his recorded lectures called "How to Read the Bible." These will greatly help you in your understanding of where Jordan is coming from. Otherwise, you may just think he's high on something.
Claude Graves
Feb 20, 2013 Claude Graves rated it it was amazing
Fantastic.

This was an overview of biblical symbology and typology in the Old Covenant, which he uses to build a case on how the bible uses symbolism to build a worldview, eventually finding its culmination in Christ and the Church. There was some exegesis that left me scratching my head, but overall he presents a coherent picture.
Bill
Aug 21, 2008 Bill rated it it was amazing
James Jordan has wonderful insights into the symbolism sprinkled liberally throughout the Old and New Testaments. I found myself highlighting parts of nearly every page.

This is a must read for anyone who wants to understand the bible. I learned more about the bible from this book than any other I have read.
  • The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship
  • A House for My Name: A Survey of the Old Testament
  • Angels in the Architecture: A Protestant Vision for Middle Earth
  • Postmillennialism
  • Face to Face: Meditations on Friendship and Hospitality
  • For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy
  • Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World
James B. Jordan is a Calvinist theologian and author. He is director of Biblical Horizons ministries, a think tank in Niceville, Florida that publishes books, essays and other media dealing with Bible commentary, Biblical Theology, and liturgy.

Jordan was born in Athens, Georgia, and he attended the University of Georgia, where he received a B.A. in comparative literature and participated in Campus
More about James B. Jordan...

“The moon established which day was the first of the month, and which was the fifteenth. Such festivals as Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles were set on particular days of the month (Leviticus 23:5-6, 34; Numbers 28:11-14; 2 Chronicles 8:13; Psalm 81:3). The moon, of course, governs the night (Psalm 136:9; Jeremiah 31:35), and in a sense the entire Old Covenant took place at night. With the rising of the Sun of Righteousness (Malachi 4:2), the "day" of the Lord is at hand (Malachi 4:1), and in a sense the New Covenant takes place in the daytime. As Genesis 1 says over and over, first evening and then morning. In the New Covenant we are no longer under lunar regulation for festival times (Colossians 2:16-17). In that regard, Christ is our light.” 2 likes