Start by marking “Kitten for a Day” as Want to Read:
Kitten for a Day

Kitten for a Day

Can a puppy be a kitten? This puppy thinks he is. As he plays with four kittens, he tumbles and stumbles, thumps and slurps, spills and falls. Then his mother arrives. Will the five new friends be able to play again? Award-winning author and illustrator Ezra Jack Keats's appealing illustrations will have readers purring with contentment.

"A visually delightful book." (The
Published February 18th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Kitten for a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitten for a Day

English 212
Jun 28, 2015 English 212 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paige-2015
This book was about being able to be whatever you want to be and not being judged for it. All the kittens did not notice a difference in the puppy, and they let him play along just as they would have with other kittens. I think this book much like children shows how much society puts on labeling things. Children, just like the animals do not know the difference and they do not care that there is one, they all get along and have fun. I think this also shows how anyone, no matter how different can ...more
Josiah
Dec 21, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The heart of this short picture book is in the spirit of the puppy who isn't afraid to try living a new kind of life with his friends the kittens, and the willingness of the kittens to accept the intrepid puppy as one of their group just as if he looked like a cat. There is harmony among the naturally antagonistic creatures, showing something of the kind of peace that can be enjoyed by people if we put aside our reflexive judgment of others and simply play together nicely.

Author/illustrator Ez
Yasmin Gomez Geng
In this book, a puppy finds a few mischievous kittens and hands out with them. The puppy and kittens begin in a bowl that the puppy tilts while trying to join the kittens. The kittens ask the puppy if he is a kitten, to which he replies "Uh-huh, I think so." And so begins a day of kitten activities and a few minor bumps along the way.

The illustrations give a sense of coziness and comfort, and the shenanigans into which the kittens and puppy get into are hilarious.

Grade: Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st
Melle
Mar 21, 2014 Melle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
The illustrations for this are breathtakingly adorable. A little floppy-eared creature befriends four kittens, one of whom is a little black-and-white kitten with curious green-gold eyes like Zelda. The kittens try to do kitten things with this new maybe-kitten, who doesn't do so well at the kitten things. 'cause he's an adorable little hound dog-looking puppy. An adorable book about confusion, trying, failing, and then finding out who you really are.

Zelda wanted in on the action and tried to p
Ina
Jun 24, 2014 Ina rated it really liked it
Cute, cute illustrations! Simple text tells the story of a puppy who spends the day playing with four adorable kittens. There are great engagement opportunities - my story time audience loved counting the kittens, spotting the mouse that appears part way through the story and laughing at poor puppy as he is less than successful at acting like a kitten!
Samantha
This is a cute story about a puppy being a kitten for the day. This picture book has amazing illustrations and shows students the perspective of a puppy's day when he's living the life of a kitten. It's always interesting to use books with unique perspectives. The story has little words, and mostly told through pictures.
Mary
Jul 15, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Ohfercute. A puppy thinks he's a kitten, and has a fun day playing with four little cats. This would be a great book for my wiggly little story time kids. There's not much text, so it would be great to share with my group. Most of them are between 1 and 3.
Kaylee Bostick
A puppy decides that he wants to be a kitten for the day and realizes that it is very hard to do. I would use this in a kindergarten classroom at the beginning of the year during writer's workshop. This would demonstrate to early writers the use of captioning illustrations when creating stories.
Torrie Wilson
I first read this book for Jumpstart. There are very few words in the book and the pictures really tell the story. I believe this book is a great way to teach students that it is okay to try new things and to take turns.
June
Aug 07, 2012 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Keats fans, cat and dog requests
Shelves: picture-book, dog, toddler, cat
This has very few words & I had 2 little girls and their parents at the beginning of PJ Storytime & I was able to have them totally engrossed in the story and that drew about 6 more children over.

A little puppy joins some kittens and pretends to be a kitten with limited success.
Cara Byrne
Aug 25, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it it was ok
Compared to many of Keats' earlier works that experiment with pencil, collage and watercolor, this book is not visually interesting and the text brief. As Lu loves kittens and dogs, she enjoyed looking at the pictures, but there is little else going for this bland work.
Karen
Nov 14, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
I had no idea that this little gem of a book existed until recently. Now I am so in love with the ridiculously adorable illustrations and the sweet, simple text.

Oh, and my six-year-old son loved it, too.

ABC
Jul 19, 2011 ABC rated it really liked it
A puppy plays with the kittens and is a kitten for the day until he goes home to his mom. Not a lot of words, great illustrations.
Pynteya Bate
Feb 28, 2011 Pynteya Bate rated it liked it
Shelves: free-read
Cute story about the puppy who is brave to join a group of kittens to experience their life for a day.The book has very cute illustrations and probably will be good to read for the pre-K or K.
Alma
Apr 21, 2014 Alma rated it really liked it
Easy read for toddlers. The pictures were absolutely adorable. My daughter couldn't keep her eyes off them! I recommend this book to parents looking for a quick and nice read.
Jorden
Great book for younger children. Few words per page. Could teach them that we can all get along even if we're different.
Molly
Sep 18, 2016 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This picture book about a puppy spending the day with some kittens has cute illustrations, but the story is just so so. Keats has other works that are much better.
Annie
Annie rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2013
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2017
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2015
OrangeBee
OrangeBee rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Joy
Joy rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2009
Martha
Martha rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Juvaria
Juvaria rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Magen Nail
Magen Nail rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2014
Shai
Shai rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Angela Slade
Angela Slade rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
FROM WEBSITE:
Long before multicultural characters and themes were fashionable, Ezra Jack Keats crossed social boundaries by being the first American picture-book maker to give the black child a central place in children’s literature.

In the books that Keats wrote and illustrated, he used his special artistic techniques to portray his subjects in a unique manner. One of these was his blending of gou
More about Ezra Jack Keats...