Start by marking “Long Way on a Little: An Earth Lover's Companion for Enjoying Meat, Pinching Pennies and Living Deliciously” as Want to Read:

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"Every earth-conscious home cook who wishes to nourish his or her family with sustainable, local, grassfed and pastured meats should be able to do so, regardless of income," argues Shannon Hayes, "we just have to change how we're eating." In her largest, most comprehensive volume to-date, North America's leading authority on grassfed meat examines the conundrum of maintain ...more
Published September 28th 2012 by Left to Write

To ask other readers questions about Long Way on a Little, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Way on a Little

Trace
What a wonderful book! I learned all about how to cook grass-fed meats (which is different from grocery store cuts) and all sorts of great tips on making your meat budget go further. I am VERY frugal with our grocery budget and didn't think I'd learn all that much new... but this book surprised me with some new tricks I'd not tried...

The chapter on leftover recipes is a real gold mine... I find I get stuck in a rut and do the same things with my left over meats... but now I have a whole new repe
Suzannah
Amazing collection of resources! I just started eating meat again after 13 years of vegetarianism and veganism, and this book has taught me so much about how to cook the grassfed beef we've been buying from a local farm. Essential tips and recipes!
I was expecting more information, than recipes. The first thirty-three pages are informative and the rest is recipes. If you're looking for a cookbook with a good variety of recipes on preparing and cooking meat, then this would be a good one.
Kerry Given
My dad got this for Christmas and I immediately added it to my wishlist as well. My family doesn't eat that much meat, so I'm not very good at cooking it. I don't really plan to increase the amount of meat we eat, but I would like to get better at cooking it when we do, and this book looks like it will be a huge help. I like my meat medium rare (emphasis on rare), and Hayes sounds like a cook after my own heart in that regard.

I've only tried one recipe so far, but can confirm that the "best (in
Michelle
Great cookbook for cooking real food with a Weston A. Price/paleo slant. I like Hayes' approach of cooking a protein and using it in meals throughout the week. She has some cooking tips that I'm going to try. It's not a must-own for me, but if I see it at a used book store, I'll definitely buy it.
Jen
Haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but excited to! Loved the homey feel of the book and practical recipes with all the ingredients I like to use. This one was from the library, but put in order to have for myself. Lots of good nuggets here!
Jennifer Tester
Jennifer Tester marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Christina Ford
Christina Ford marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Dylan Verry
Dylan Verry marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Sarah Ashworth
Sarah Ashworth marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Melanie Johnson
Melanie Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Jean-marie Prevost
Jean-marie Prevost marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Michael Strong
Michael Strong marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Paivi Flannery
Paivi Flannery marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Sandy  Kemp
Sandy Kemp marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook: Healthy Cooking & Good Living with Pasture-Raised Foods The Farmer and the Grill: A Guide to Grilling, Barbecuing and Spit-Roasting Grassfed Meat... and for Saving the Planet, One Bite at a Time. Cooking Grassfed Beef: Healthy Recipes from Nose to Tail Homespun Mom Comes Unraveled: And other adventures from the radical homemaking frontier