Start by marking “Conformity and Conflict: Readings in Cultural Anthropology” as Want to Read:
Conformity and Conflict: Readings in Cultural Anthropology

Conformity and Conflict: Readings in Cultural Anthropology

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  15 reviews
An ideal complement to standard anthropology texts or as a stand-alone text/reader, the best-selling Conformity and Conflict continues to offer students an in-depth look at anthropology as a powerful way to study human behavior and events. The 37 articles cover a broad range of theoretical perspectives and demonstrate basic anthropological concepts. The twelfth edition ret ...more
Published August 11th 2006 by Allyn & Bacon (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Conformity and Conflict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conformity and Conflict

Kelila Eichstadt
This is probably the best textbook I've ever had, mostly because it is decidedly un-textbookish. Full of [mostly] interesting articles, it was fairly easy to get through; I did actually read it! And despite being a textbook, we were assigned all, but like three, of the articles it contains. So I did end up reading the whole god damn thing [or close to it]!

Hooray for last week of my summer class and a short summer before fall term begins!
Kelsey Bhasker
This book is a collection of cultural scenarios and ethnographic studies undergone within different areas of study;the text doesn't present itself as textbook lingo, rather its more like adrenaline parts of a journeyer's blog highlights. You'll learn so much about societal structures, and humans capacity and flexibility in language,learning, and emotions.You will quickly want to turn the page to learn more about whats being uncovered and reviewed. The accounts are eloquently structured and the c ...more
Chantilly Patiño
This is a really excellent book filled with a variety of stories and scenarios that help to enlighten readers about popular topics and thoughts in Anthropology. I really enjoyed it and found it very helpful for critical thinking and examining of various social groups and situations. I think if you really enjoy learning about what motivates certain cultural traditions and social expectations, this is a great read!
Christy
I've perused a lot of anthropology textbooks, as it was definitely a major interest of mine in college (and we had no anthropology program in the school), and of all that I read, this was definitely my favorite. Very readable and quite interesting, whether you're a student or not.
Dawna
Fascinating stories, I love this sort of reading. Fish's "Mixed Blood" was an eye-opener and should be required reading. (Last time I checked, it was available as an online article, it's about the origins of 'race'. google it if you're interested)
Laurie
A book comprised of engaging ethnographic articles on topics that shape human cultures around the world. Contents include sections on politics and law, kinship and family, language and communication, globalization and identity roles & groups.
Aaron
Read as a text for an Introduction to Cultural Anthropology course. Decent anthology of writings about cultural anthropology. Covers a wide array of cultures and provides a decent primer for a new student.
Chrissy
Such an amazing wealth of information on cultural anthropology. Whether you're a student or just a curious reader, this is far more intriguing than any textbook I was assigned in school!
Paige
Didn't read the entire book, but read a lot of the articles for class. Very interesting! 4.5 stars.
Nastya Andreyevna
Great collection of articles written on virtually every topic within cultural anthropology.
Katie
i read this when i was in school and now am tutoring for a class using it. interesting read.
Evan
It's ok. I've never seen an anthropology textbook that has impressed me, though.
Meen
Jul 31, 2008 Meen marked it as probably-never-gonna-read-it  ·  review of another edition
Hahaha, I have the "Special 1/2 Price Edition," so the pictures on the front are in b&w!
Chantelle
Quite interesting, especially for a text book
Skilty Labastilla
Aug 23, 2007 Skilty Labastilla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anthro students and enthusiasts
Shelves: non-fiction
the text that i use for my classes =)
Gorgophone
Gorgophone marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Eva
Eva added it
Jul 27, 2015
LeiLa
LeiLa marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Larissa Rascon
Larissa Rascon marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Kimberly Mae
Kimberly Mae marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Quinnie Chau
Quinnie Chau marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Victoria Kritis
Victoria Kritis marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Nico Lawrence
Nico Lawrence marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
  • Social and Cultural Anthropology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Culture & Truth: The Remaking of Social Analysis
  • Argonauts of the Western Pacific
  • The Silent Language
  • Veiled Sentiments: Honor and Poetry in a Bedouin Society (updated with a new preface)
  • Same Difference: How Gender Myths Are Hurting Our Relationships, Our Children, and Our Jobs
  • The Nuer: A Description of the Modes of Livelihood and Political Institutions of a Nilotic People
  • Writing Culture: The Poetics and Politics of Ethnography